Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I may buy the Elite sometime but would have to think long and hard about doing it for so long as the price is $500 for the box plus the service subscription, which, even with the multi-subscription discount, is $400. I have never considered anything but lifetime on any of my TiVo boxes because I tend to keep them for a long time. For example, I have had my Series3 for nearly 6 years. That makes the $199 I paid for lifetime on it the bargain of the century.

One good thing I noticed about the Elite is that all 4 tuners are QAM. Thus, it can simultaneously record 4 HD shows. All of the earlier DVRs from other manufacturers with 4 tuners that I know anything about can record only 2 HD shows at a time. For me, and I suggest most others, SD tuners are virtually useless in this day and age.

Hopefully, TiVo will offer discount lifetime for current owners, much as they did when the came out with the Premier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

No OTA or analog channels.

I can see dropping the mostly useless analog band but digital OTA
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^ does that mean they'll be phasing out OTA guide info as well?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

^ does that mean they'll be phasing out OTA guide info as well?

Not since they just started offering a OTA only service ($9.99 a month).
Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sounds like a niche product.

Is Tivo ignoring the cloud and the former capabilities lost to the flags?

Will this unit have "tuning adapter" capabilities built in? If so will the cable co VOD be accessible?

DLNA compliant? Any improved interoperability with other devices?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post
Hi all, thank you again for the TiVo buying advice. I do like my Premiere. 6 months of Hulu Plus came free with the new box. I must admit, that it's pretty sucky. The picture quality is fine, and the nuts and bolts/ UI is okay, but the content selection is absolutely crappy.
Does anyone use Hulu Plus on their TiVo box? I know that Hulu dot com has much more additional content, but they cannot stream it through devices that connect directly to TVs like TiVo boxes. Does anyone have a way around this that they have actually set up effectively? I am somewhat familiar with Playon, but it is worth the $80 and wear and tear on my PC to have this complicated network of devices running all the time? I also have an XBOX360, but again, this is aging and I'm worried about using it exclusively for watching Hulu or Playon.
Any suggestions would be great!

Ps. I just dropped Netflix, I'm disgusted that they think they can raise their prices 39% and expect no one to bat an eye.
Greetings,

Considering ditching FIOS triple play and going back to OTA and online options for viewing films/ tv shows. I am looking at the TIVO Premiere but then I found the above comment a few pages back. I have browsed the Hulu site and have had Netflix before. I am confused about what I BOLDED above. When you watch something on Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc - Isn't the TIVO box receiving the movie/show "streamed"? Or do you actually have to wait for it to download, then watch it? Also confused why the poster states there is more content at hulu.com as opposed to Hulu Plus. Isn't Hulu Plus the "more content" option and runs, if you will, from the hulu.com website? Perhaps it's just his wording.

Gamertag: Sage Treebeard

PSN: TiberDrum
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyvven View Post
When you watch something on Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc - Isn't the TIVO box receiving the movie/show "streamed"? Or do you actually have to wait for it to download, then watch it? Also confused why the poster states there is more content at hulu.com as opposed to Hulu Plus. Isn't Hulu Plus the "more content" option and runs, if you will, from the hulu.com website? Perhaps it's just his wording.
It's streamed and most of the newer content (first run) that is available on Hulu isn't available on Hulu Plus. It's easy to see the differences at their site.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Thank you for the Hulu clarification. Hulu blocked here at work so I couldn't get back on to check the difference. So Hulu Plus is basically for the "library", if you will, of older shows? Might be worth it for shows/series that I never watched, that people say were good.

Gamertag: Sage Treebeard

PSN: TiberDrum
Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Where is bfdtv when I need him
I wonder if I have something configured wrong on my Tivo HD.... With the new shows starting up(and my cool pilot season pass(thanks to bfdtv)) I'm having quite a few conflicts where both tuners are occupied(I'd love one of those 4 tuner Tivos but OTA only). Anyway I thought Tivo was smart enough to avoid conflicts and if possible find a alternate time to record one of the conflicting programs, mine is NOT doing this! I manually looked at the schedule and was able to find alternate times(program was repeated later that day or a few days later) for 4 out of the 5 conflicts I had. Why didn't my Tivo do this, do I have to enable a setting for Tivo to look at alternate times? The channel remains the same but I'm talking about where they repeat the same program within the same week.

While I'm asking, I also have a problem where my Tivo isn't clipping a program, it just doesn't record it When I try and program a conflicting program I'm warned that Tivo may clip my other program but it NEVER does, it only deletes my other program from my to do list if I chose to record the new program
This is the situation:
I record something from 10:35pm to 11:37pm on one tuner
on the other tuner I have an event from 10:35pm to 11:55pm
finally I want to schedule another event from 11:30pm to 12:30am. When I schedule this event I'm warned of an overlapping recording and that one event may be clipped or cancelled. I would be fine with either clipping the last 7 minutes of program #1 or preferably the first 7 minutes of program #3 but neither happens and if I chose to record event #3 event #1 or #2 won't record, of course if I chose to not record event #3 both 1 and 2 record. Since Tivo has no way to start an event late(or end it early) I'm forced to program a manual event from 11:37pm to 12:30am to get my #3 program(of course missing the first 7 min.). Am I doing something wrong? Why doesn't Tivo either clip one of my events short or start the other one late
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Where is bfdtv when I need him
I wonder if I have something configured wrong on my Tivo HD.... With the new shows starting up(and my cool pilot season pass(thanks to bfdtv)) I'm having quite a few conflicts where both tuners are occupied(I'd love one of those 4 tuner Tivos but OTA only). Anyway I thought Tivo was smart enough to avoid conflicts and if possible find a alternate time to record one of the conflicting programs, mine is NOT doing this! I manually looked at the schedule and was able to find alternate times(program was repeated later that day or a few days later) for 4 out of the 5 conflicts I had. Why didn't my Tivo do this, do I have to enable a setting for Tivo to look at alternate times? The channel remains the same but I'm talking about where they repeat the same program within the same week.

I don't think there's a setting. You would think that TiVo would look ahead and schedule an alternative showing in the To-Do List immediately, but you could note the last pilot showing so that you can add it manually, then sit tight for a day or two to see if TiVo eventually schedules it automatically. I know when a scheduled show is missed completely (station off-air or whatever), TiVo takes a while to notice and reschedule.

Quote:

While I'm asking, I also have a problem where my Tivo isn't clipping a program, it just doesn't record it When I try and program a conflicting program I'm warned that Tivo may clip my other program but it NEVER does, it only deletes my other program from my to do list if I chose to record the new program
This is the situation:
I record something from 10:35pm to 11:37pm on one tuner
on the other tuner I have an event from 10:35pm to 11:55pm
finally I want to schedule another event from 11:30pm to 12:30am. When I schedule this event I'm warned of an overlapping recording and that one event may be clipped or cancelled. I would be fine with either clipping the last 7 minutes of program #1 or preferably the first 7 minutes of program #3 but neither happens and if I chose to record event #3 event #1 or #2 won't record, of course if I chose to not record event #3 both 1 and 2 record. Since Tivo has no way to start an event late(or end it early) I'm forced to program a manual event from 11:37pm to 12:30am to get my #3 program(of course missing the first 7 min.). Am I doing something wrong? Why doesn't Tivo either clip one of my events short or start the other one late

I think it says somewhere that a recording may be clipped by up to 5 minutes, so I guess if more clipping would be required it is just cancelled. That sort of thing may be affected by season pass order, too. And I think any one-time manual recording has higher priority than any season pass. If you review the To-Do List, you can tweak things manually, but I know that's lame.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I don't use the overlap setting on any of my TiVos. The confilict resolution has always worked well for me without it.
Of course OTA is also where there are typically not alot of replays of a show like there is on cable. If I were OTA only and only had two tuners I would have tons of conflicts each week but I typically slpit up the major network recording chores between two or three TiVos which avoids the conflicts for me.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I think it says somewhere that a recording may be clipped by up to 5 minutes, so I guess if more clipping would be required it is just cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Of course OTA is also where there are typically not alot of replays of a show like there is on cable. If I were OTA only and only had two tuners I would have tons of conflicts each week but I typically slpit up the major network recording chores between two or three TiVos which avoids the conflicts for me.

Thanks guys, the 5 minute thing makes sense, I mean I have seen Tivo clip the first 2 minutes or so of a program(not so much for programs I schedule but for season passes) when the previous one was scheduled 1 or 2 minutes long. In my example the overlap was 7 min. so maybe like you said the second event was just cancelled(makes sense for a normal program buy my case was The Jimmy Kimmel show where missing the first 7 or even 15 wouldn't miss any of the guests). Is their a way to increase the 5 min. rule? I guess for me that would be ideal.

aaronwt, yes if I only had a second Tivo I'd have no problems, of course then I'd need another 4 way HDMI switcher. My TV is maxed out at 4 and my Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switcher is also maxed out I've even resorted to component on one of my devices because I'm out of HDMI jacks
Your right though, the only time OTA tends to repeat a program shortly after the initial program is for pilots, which is exactly where I'm having the problem.
I have no idea how I ever got by with a 8 event timer on my VCRs or DVDRs, if I look at my Tivos to do list many times I have more than 1 page of events(I think 8) for just ONE day Boy I love my Tivo and consider it probably my best A/V investment(most used for sure, right behind my TV)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
My TV is maxed out at 4 and my Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switcher is also maxed out I've even resorted to component on one of my devices because I'm out of HDMI jacks
Your right though, the only time OTA tends to repeat a program shortly after the initial program is for pilots, which is exactly where I'm having the problem.
I have no idea how I ever got by with a 8 event timer on my VCRs or DVDRs, if I look at my Tivos to do list many times I have more than 1 page of events(I think 8) for just ONE day Boy I love my Tivo and consider it probably my best A/V investment(most used for sure, right behind my TV)
Why not get another switch. I have one 5 x 1 switch and a 4 x 2 splitter/switch incorporated in my system.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

Sounds like a niche product.

Is Tivo ignoring the cloud and the former capabilities lost to the flags?

Will this unit have "tuning adapter" capabilities built in? If so will the cable co VOD be accessible?

DLNA compliant? Any improved interoperability with other devices?

Your questions about the TiVo Premiere Elite had occurred to me as well. I have learned that it is MoCA compliant but don't really know how much increased capability MoCA would provide, other than allowing a MoCa enabled client box to play programming recorded on the host DVR.

I just realized something about the Elite that is disappointing indeed. Despite the Elite's very high price, TiVo continues to require that you buy and an install an external device if you want to give the Elite wireless networking capability. That's inexcusable, it seems to me.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Your questions about the TiVo Premiere Elite had occurred to me as well. I have learned that it is MoCA compliant but don't really know how much increased capability MoCA would provide, other than allowing a MoCa enabled client box to play programming recorded on the host DVR.

I just realized something about the Elite that is disappointing indeed. Despite the Elite's very high price, TiVo continues to require that you buy and an install an external device if you want to give the Elite wireless networking capability. That's inexcusable, it seems to me.

I will buy one if:

- It includes generic streaming capability - straight up uPnP stream server
- It does not require a tuning adapter - or at least indications it will not need one long term.

Unfortunately I don't see either happening.

xnappo
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

With MoCA you don't need wireless (IMO). It's like Ethernet over cable, with all the reliability of a wired network.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

With MoCA you don't need wireless (IMO). It's like Ethernet over cable, with all the reliability of a wired network.

Is it possible to do the daily data downloads using MoCA? Also, do you know whether the Elite supports VOD programming? I assume not but would love to be wrong.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it possible to do the daily data downloads using MoCA? Also, do you know whether the Elite supports VOD programming? I assume not but would love to be wrong.

I have a bunch of MoCa boxes I bought off of eBay. They work great. I have the HDTivo in our living room along w/the PS3, Wii, and HDDVD player all connected to the network so no 'wireless' for it. It works just like it was hard wired into a router.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have a bunch of MoCa boxes I bought off of eBay. They work great. I have the HDTivo in our living room along w/the PS3, Wii, and HDDVD player all connected to the network so no 'wireless' for it.

What kind of MoCA compliant hardware if any would be required in addition to the Elite itself to allow an Elite to do its daily programming download via coax? I guess it's clear that I really don't yet understand how all of this would work.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The last few days my Premiere would just hang in "My SHows" when deleting a show, or selecting a show to play. I'll hit select and then the screen just goes black with the giant green circle in the middle. Then after about 6 minutes it goes ahead and shows the description of the current show,

Anyone else been seeing this kind of thing?

Phil Tomaskovic
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What kind of MoCA compliant hardware if any would be required in addition to the Elite itself to allow an Elite to do its daily programming download via coax? I guess it's clear that I really don't yet understand how all of this would work.

You would need a MoCA router or a MoCA bridge.

See my thread here. It may help (or not):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145636

Definitely the best alternative to running Cat5/6 available.

xnappo
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

The last few days my Premiere would just hang in "My SHows" when deleting a show, or selecting a show to play. I'll hit select and then the screen just goes black with the giant green circle in the middle. Then after about 6 minutes it goes ahead and shows the description of the current show,

Anyone else been seeing this kind of thing?

I've heard of other people having some isues like that, but personally I've never seen it on any of my Premieres. I've seen the green circles only an handful of times and even then it was when I deleted a folder with something like 50 or 60 titles in it. And then the green circle was there for only a few seconds, not minutes.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It works like this - instead of plugging your cable coax directly into your tivo you plug it into a MoCa box. This box comes with an ethernet port that you can either run an ethernet cable from it to your TiVo or, what I did, buy an 4 port hub and plug it into there and voila - I know have a box to plug in 4 ethernet devices and it's now 'wired' versus wireless. The Moca box has a coax output so you connect that output to whereever you have your current coax cable running.
You must have internet from your cable provider since it uses your existing wired cable network to send the information over the cable wire. The MoCa boxes are old small cable boxes.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

You would need a MoCA router or a MoCA bridge.

See my thread here. It may help (or not):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145636

Definitely the best alternative to running Cat5/6 available.

xnappo

The unfortunate thing for me is that my signal isn't 'full' so I only get one light versus two on my box But it can handle the PS3, Tivo, HDDVD player and wii that's connected to it for internet access!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The easiest way to view this is that a moca box allows you to access your internet connection using your existing cable wiring. So your tivo (regardless of the model) would be connected to your network via a hard-wired connection.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The unfortunate thing for me is that my signal isn't 'full' so I only get one light versus two on my box But it can handle the PS3, Tivo, HDDVD player and wii that's connected to it for internet access!

OT - but have you tried using diplexers instead of splitters?

xnappo
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

OT - but have you tried using diplexers instead of splitters?

xnappo

I've heard mixed reviews about those that they don't work. And since they tend to be pricey I haven't ponied up to buy one.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard mixed reviews about those that they don't work. And since they tend to be pricey I haven't ponied up to buy one.

They work if you get the right ones You need to make sure they support 5Mhz-850Mhz for cable - some of them are only 40Mhz-850Mhz and will mess up your broadband/upstream cable comms.

xnappo
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Let me preface the primary purpose of this post by thanking those of you who answered my questions about MoCA. I still don't know much but, thanks to you, I know a lot more than I did.

I was reminded a few minutes ago that up until now, no TiVo box supported pay per view programming. Does anyone know whether the Elite will support PPV, or is it crippled in that regard just as the S3, HD, and Premiere boxes are? The Ball State v. Oklahoma football game on October 1 is PPV so I will have to not only pay $39.99 for what will probably be an SD telecast but will have to rent a Cox DVR to boot. It's not the end of the world, because I don't have to keep the Cox box after I see the game, but it's still a pain in the, er, neck.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Supposedly PPV will work if you call the cableCo and tell them to authorize it on your account (and pay, of course). Then you just tune the channel at the proper time and you'll be able to watch it. I've never done this, just heard it over at TCF.