post #4621 of 4820 Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Let me preface the primary purpose of this post by thanking those of you who answered my questions about MoCA. I still don't know much but, thanks to you, I know a lot more than I did.

I was reminded a few minutes ago that up until now, no TiVo box supported pay per view programming. Does anyone know whether the Elite will support PPV, or is it crippled in that regard just as the S3, HD, and Premiere boxes are? The Ball State v. Oklahoma football game on October 1 is PPV so I will have to not only pay $39.99 for what will probably be an SD telecast but will have to rent a Cox DVR to boot. It's not the end of the world, because I don't have to keep the Cox box after I see the game, but it's still a pain in the, er, neck.

I have yet to hear/know of any Tivo supporting PPV/On-Demand from a cable operator. I believe Tru2Way was supposed to be the 'bridge' between tivo and on-demand/PPV but that appears to have 'died'.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4820 Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the fast forward speeds be changed? I believe the speeds are 3x, 20x & 60x. I would like to change the 20x speed to 10x. I heard that there is a "backdoor hack" to do this. Is this correct? If so, does it reliably work? What are the risks? How is this hack done? --thanks--
post #4623 of 4820 Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I have yet to hear/know of any Tivo supporting PPV/On-Demand from a cable operator. I believe Tru2Way was supposed to be the 'bridge' between tivo and on-demand/PPV but that appears to have 'died'.

It's been a while since I have done this, but I believe PPV will work. It's the OnDemand that doesn't. For PPV, you have to call to order. Then there is usually a "surcharge", and the channel is "authorized" for your viewing. It works the same as any "premium" channel, in that respect. So this would be for "one-time" events, think sports.
post #4624 of 4820 Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a Premiere Elite on its way to replace a HD-XL I've used for nearly 3 years. To answer bgooch's question on the previous page about tuning adapters, I asked TIVO service. The answer is you still need to hook up the tuning adapter because different cable companies use different adapters.

Anyone here using an Elite?
post #4625 of 4820 Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Got the Elite installed. The home page, TIVO Central, is all together different then the XL.
Navigation is going to take some time to get use to.
post #4626 of 4820 Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post

Got the Elite installed. The home page, TIVO Central, is all together different then the XL.
Navigation is going to take some time to get use to.

Yeah, all of the Premiere boxes use the new graphical HD UI, which, as you noticed, is quite different from the old SD UI TiVo uses on the S3 and HD boxes.
post #4627 of 4820 Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my TiVo. I'm sad to hear so many people shorting it's stock and calling the company a dinosaur now.

I think someone on this Thread alerted me to the fact that it's $9.99 a month through Solid Signal if you are OTA only...which I am. Thanks again, they honored that promotion even though I was already a customer. :-)
post #4628 of 4820 Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I love my Tivo HD also and wouldn't trade it for anything else, including a Premiere. Now maybe a 4 tuner Premiere but Tivo has ignored the OTA market(which I am) so no 4 tuner model either
post #4629 of 4820 Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I love my Tivo HD also and wouldn't trade it for anything else, including a Premiere.

LOL, that's only because you still connect for guide data using a phone line and the Premier got rid of the phone jack

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4630 of 4820 Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

LOL, that's only because you still connect for guide data using a phone line and the Premier got rid of the phone jack

That and only the HD has S-video output
Yep, livin' in the stone age here
post #4631 of 4820 Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Has anyone copied with winMFS successfully a drive that was still married to an expander ? I had an 500Mb tivo expander hooked up and I started to get continuous reboots. Tried to disconnect the expander to divorce it and still just reboots and keeps saying the expander is not connected, the divorce never completes. I'm not worried about retaining recordings, I was able to copy them all with tivo desktop before the tivo went completely dead.

I know I can get a clean image to put on a new drive, but I would like to clone the existing internal HD to retain my cable card pairing. I think Comcast here in IL will insist they have to do a house call to reinstall it and charge me. (they don't allow self installs here)

I just got a new WD10EARX so I will try it in a few days when I have time, but just wondering if anyone else had success in this case? I'm worried that when I copy the drive, the new copy will still think it is still married to an expander?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4632 of 4820 Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Phil, if you reconnect the expander are you not able to get into the interface at all? There is a selection in the settings for unpairing the external HD. You are not supposed to just pull it out.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4633 of 4820 Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Phil, if you reconnect the expander are you not able to get into the interface at all? There is a selection in the settings for unpairing the external HD. You are not supposed to just pull it out.

Right now I can't get into the GUI/settings at all, it just keeps rebooting. Sometimes if I leave everything unplugged for several days then it will boot up and I can play recordings. Last time I left it unplugged for 2 weeks and it lasted about a week where I was able to transfer all my recordings with tivo desktop on my pc. This is when I decided to remove the expander since I figured it has gone bad.

If I look at the manual http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...ander%20manual for the expander it says unplug the expander, reboot, then you get the warning page that the expander is disconnected and you hit clear to continue, then on the next screen it says hit 3 thumbs down and enter to continue to remove the expander. Then I get a screen that says "removing the expander, this will take awhile". But "a while" is like 10 secs then it reboots and I get the first warning page again.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4634 of 4820 Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible to turn OFF the subtitles background? I looked in the SETTINGS SUBTITLES and only saw options to change the color of the background. If backgrounds cannot be turned OFF I wonder why? It's very distracting and blocks the picture more than just subtitles alone like on DVDs, BDs or even my TV when watching a live broadcast.
post #4635 of 4820 Old 01-07-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it possible to turn OFF the subtitles background? I looked in the SETTINGS SUBTITLES and only saw options to change the color of the background. If backgrounds cannot be turned OFF I wonder why? It's very distracting and blocks the picture more than just subtitles alone like on DVDs, BDs or even my TV when watching a live broadcast.

Unfortunately, you are stuck with a either a black or white background rectangular box behind whatever text color you choose. At least that's how it is with the 11.0 software, which I think is what both the TiVo HD and S3 run. I seem to recall that this limitation also applies to the GUI enabled software the Premiere boxes run.
post #4636 of 4820 Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Quiet here, last post early January.

Anyone noticed TiVo's change to the home page? They have deleted the "Browse TV & Movies" line at the top of the page along with the small current channel window up in the right hand corner. TiVo CS tells me they had to make some software changes and this"unfortunately" resulted in the change or lose of some features. Anyone else feel this is a down grade to their subscription?
post #4637 of 4820 Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Anyone noticed TiVo's change to the home page? They have deleted the "Browse TV & Movies" line at the top of the page along with the small current channel window up in the right hand corner. TiVo CS tells me they had to make some software changes and this"unfortunately" resulted in the change or lose of some features. Anyone else feel this is a down grade to their subscription?

I don't follow: what TIVo do you have? "small current channel window"? What does that mean?

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4638 of 4820 Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Sounds like an S4 box, not an S3.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4639 of 4820 Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kind of tells you how well the Tivo is working It's my favorite part of owning a Tivo, no muss no fuss, set it and forget it, basically 100% reliable in my case
post #4640 of 4820 Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I don't follow: what TIVo do you have? "small current channel window"? What does that mean?

I have the Premier Elite model. Scroll down the TiVo page below to "Never Miss a Show", to the left is a picture of the Browse TV & Movies. When this was working the box in the right upper corner shows the current channel you are on.
Sort of picture in a picture. All of that page has been eliminated.

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...ite/index.html

This is a better picture of what has been eliminated. This only effects Premiere models. This menu has been replaced with a plain text list of MY SHOWS, LIVE TV etc. I think this was TiVo's answer to programs on demand.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-f...ove/index.html
post #4641 of 4820 Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Kind of tells you how well the Tivo is working It's my favorite part of owning a Tivo, no muss no fuss, set it and forget it, basically 100% reliable in my case

I used to say the same thing, until I moved to a Cox area that uses SDV which requires a Cisco tuning adapter. That tuning adapter is such a kludge. It a huge box that generates a lot of heat and just makes my Tivo less reliable. A few times since getting the tuning adapter I've turned on the TV to find that all channels are blank. Rebooting the Tivo and tuning adapter clears up the problem, but I have missed recordings because of it. I really wish the cable industry would get their act together and implement an IP back channel for SDV, thus eliminating the need for tuning adapters.

Now my Tivo is only 99% reliable.
post #4642 of 4820 Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

I used to say the same thing, until I moved to a Cox area that uses SDV which requires a Cisco tuning adapter. That tuning adapter is such a kludge. It a huge box that generates a lot of heat and just makes my Tivo less reliable. A few times since getting the tuning adapter I've turned on the TV to find that all channels are blank. Rebooting the Tivo and tuning adapter clears up the problem, but I have missed recordings because of it. I really wish the cable industry would get their act together and implement an IP back channel for SDV, thus eliminating the need for tuning adapters.

Now my Tivo is only 99% reliable.

Everything I have heard about using SDV tuning adapters with TiVos has been bad. So far, at least, Cox OKC hasn't moved to SDV for any of its mainstream channels. I hope it stays that way because My old S3 remains one hundred percent reliable to this day.
post #4643 of 4820 Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have the Premier Elite model. Scroll down the TiVo page below to "Never Miss a Show", to the left is a picture of the Browse TV & Movies. When this was working the box in the right upper corner shows the current channel you are on.
Sort of picture in a picture. All of that page has been eliminated.

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...ite/index.html

This is a better picture of what has been eliminated. This only effects Premiere models. This menu has been replaced with a plain text list of MY SHOWS, LIVE TV etc. I think this was TiVo's answer to programs on demand.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-f...ove/index.html

That is a series 4 model. The TiVoHD is a series 3 model.

here is the AVS thread for the S4 (Premiere) model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232191

LED DLP

post #4644 of 4820 Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM

[quote=aaronwt;21654564]That is a series 4 model. The TiVoHD is a series 3 model.

here is the AVS thread for the S4 (Premiere) model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232191[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info'
post #4645 of 4820 Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Everything I have heard about using SDV tuning adapters with TiVos has been bad. So far, at least, Cox OKC hasn't moved to SDV for any of its mainstream channels. I hope it stays that way because My old S3 remains one hundred percent reliable to this day.

Cox here in SD intro'd TA's for SDV last year. I have three connected to three TV's with two TiVo HD's and one TiVo Premiere. They are not 100% reliable for sure. I have to reboot every week or so on all of them. (At least they do not have the gall to charge for them.)

99.5% Dark Matter
post #4646 of 4820 Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

Cox here in SD intro'd TA's for SDV last year. I have three connected to three TV's with two TiVo HD's and one TiVo Premiere. They are not 100% reliable for sure. I have to reboot every week or so on all of them. (At least they do not have the gall to charge for them.)

Complain to COX.

My Tivo Premiere and Cisco/SA TA has been essentially trouble free with TWC. I have a direct phone number to a TWC TSR for TA problems and have always had problems resolved on the spot when the TA authorization sometimes expires.
But this rare and SDV failures while these do happen and require a Tivo and TA reboot only occur once every 3-4 months and usually are related to a Tivo SW upgrade.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #4647 of 4820 Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Hi All: TiVo 8 month user here...only use it for OTA broadcasts still, hard to beat $9.99 a month for a reliable guide and DVR device!

Does anyone use Amazon Prime? I just signed up for a 30 day trial. I checked out TiVo's website (I'm at work, not at home where my DVR is) and noticed that Amazon Instant Video's work on the Premiere box. Does anyone do this? My real question is, if you pay the $70 or $80 a year for Amazon Prime, are all the movies on TiVo free then...sorta like Netflix?

Thanks!
post #4648 of 4820 Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post

Hi All: TiVo 8 month user here...only use it for OTA broadcasts still, hard to beat $9.99 a month for a reliable guide and DVR device!

Does anyone use Amazon Prime? I just signed up for a 30 day trial. I checked out TiVo's website (I'm at work, not at home where my DVR is) and noticed that Amazon Instant Video's work on the Premiere box. Does anyone do this? My real question is, if you pay the $70 or $80 a year for Amazon Prime, are all the movies on TiVo free then...sorta like Netflix?

Thanks!

Amazon instant videos cannot be viewed on ANY TiVo currently. With the Premieres it's just like the TiVoHD. You can only view the content you purchase and download to the TiVo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200111510
Quote:

...At this time, Prime instant videos are only available for streaming and cannot be viewed on a TiVo box....

Hopefully this changes in the future with the Premiere line. But currently, watching Amazon content, is just like on the TiVoHD.

LED DLP

post #4649 of 4820 Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Amazon instant videos cannot be viewed on ANY TiVo currently. With the Premieres it's just like the TiVoHD. You can only view the content you purchase and download to the TiVo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200111510

Hopefully this changes in the future with the Premiere line. But currently, watching Amazon content, is just like on the TiVoHD.

Thanks Aaron...I don't think I'll be keeping my Amazon Prime membership...
post #4650 of 4820 Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have an S3 HD which developed an issue yesterday:

After power cycling the unit, the orange and black boot-up "Welcome!..." screen appeared as normal; then unfortunately the HDMI signal was completely lost right when the "Just a few minutes more..." screen should have displayed.

Tried swapping out several HDMI cables and alternate input ports with the same disappointing result.

Even pulled the CMOS battery and reinserted all internal connectors.

Now have it outputting over HD component as a work around.

Just got done doing a little digging on Google and have discovered that what I'm experiencing is a rather common failure. I smell a product engineering flaw.

The port is obviously not dead, so why the sudden signal loss immediately after the welcome screen?

Has TiVo released any service bulletins or documentation concerning this fault?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page