post #4651 of 4820 Old 04-01-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post

Thanks Aaron...I don't think I'll be keeping my Amazon Prime membership...

I did forget, the Premiere is capable of 1080P24 pass through. So any content from Amazon in 1080P24 can be played with the Premiere instead of having to output it at 1080i or 720P like with the S3 boxes.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4820 Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

After power cycling the unit, the orange and black boot-up "Welcome!..." screen appeared as normal; then unfortunately the HDMI signal was completely lost right when the "Just a few minutes more..." screen should have displayed.

This sounds similar to a problem I had with my old projector not accepting certain resolutions changes over HDMI. Basically the problem was that my projector would not respond to HDMI resolution changes from my TiovHD properly and I had to force a new HDMI handshake. This was a real pain. It was years ago and I forget exactly what I had to do, but I think it was either power cycle my receiver or my projector. Fortunately for me, when I got my DVDO the problem went away (it forces a hand shake when you change input devices).

Try changing your output resolutions and see if any of the options work for you. You can have both the Component and HDMI connected at the same time and may be able to switch inputs on the fly (depending on your TV/Projector ... it may not instigate a HDMI hand-shake after switching inputs).
post #4653 of 4820 Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Try changing your output resolutions and see if any of the options work for you. You can have both the Component and HDMI connected at the same time and may be able to switch inputs on the fly (depending on your TV/Projector ... it may not instigate a HDMI hand-shake after switching inputs).

Sorry, I neglected to mention that this was already tried the same day the problem had initially occurred.

Had managed to resuscitate the port again for a mere 5 minutes before audio/video went blank with the dreaded "No Signal" error.

It will still display the welcome screen at boot up. The HDMI port itself is tight and mechanically sound...I just can't isolate the problem.

None of the usual TiVo repair services have any clue how to resolve this and suggest exchanging for another unit. It's thought by some to be a partial failure of the BCM7401 CPU itself. That could very well be the case since the chip's datasheet specifies that the HDMI controller is in fact integrated.

However, it could very likely be something easily overlooked and simplistic such as a blown diode, open resistor, leaky capacitor or failed SMD transistor.

Considering pulling the mainboard soon to take a look-see. I have experience repairing advanced electronics. I'll cross check as many circuit traces as possible originating to the port, test probing every component as I go along. Just wish some solid repair documentation could be found for these units. When it comes to locating TiVo service manuals, it's a desert out there.
post #4654 of 4820 Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The source of the problem is most definitely the BCM7401. The HDMI PHY unit (data TX and RX core) integrated into this chip has been known to be rather delicate..being somewhat prone to failure.

So my TiVo is now neutered to analog video output only. To tell you the truth, short of any unforeseen additional future hardware failures, this is not a big deal to me. It stinks that it happened; but I'm not going to replace it solely for this.

I have made several picture quality comparisons in the past. With my equipment, there were no differences in picture quality between HDMI and component at 1080i. Now progressive resolutions...well that's a different story. 480p and 720p are noticeably inferior over component.

Can't even tolerate 1080p over component from my other capable devices..now that's garbage even over the highest quality cables.
post #4655 of 4820 Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I was just browsing my to do list and discovered I had 20 events for both this Thursday and Friday
I regularly see 10 when programs aren't repeating but I can't ever remember 20!
Since the majority of my events are 1hr or more. thank goodness for the 1 TB drive I installed day one To think I use to live with a 7 event VCR(and 6 fuzzy hours) and 14 event DVDR(with 4 pretty decent hours) after that....towards the end I ended up with a HDD DVDR which would hold ~70hrs SP and 20?? TVGOS events.
I just love my Tivo, set-and-forget. Never any lockups, errors or monthly fees(lifetime user). My only wish would be for another tuner, it doesn't happen much but maybe 20 times/year I end up having to either watch live or fire up my DVDR for the third event. I'd think about a Premiere XL but they don't seem to care for us OTA people
Long live Tivo
post #4656 of 4820 Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Is it correct that the Tivo HD has a better OTA tuner than the Tivo Premiere?
post #4657 of 4820 Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Anecdotal, yes.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #4658 of 4820 Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Is it correct that the Tivo HD has a better OTA tuner than the Tivo Premiere?

It depends. There were a lot of complaints about the TivoHD tuner being too sensitive and a lot of complaints about the Premiere not being sensitive enough.
post #4659 of 4820 Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The tuners are the same. The error correction circuitry is different though. Most favor the HD reception unless you are right next the tower.

-Ted
post #4660 of 4820 Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 11
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Tivo unit for my wife's TV (on my TV, I have an HTPC with a Ceton Card).

How good is Tivo with recording sports events? One of my peeves with the cable company DVR is the inability to distinguish between the regular Red Sox ballgames versus the rerun (Sox in 2).

Is Tivo smart enough to record all of the regular Live games when they're on the NESN channel, ESPN or Fox?

How does it handle games that are blacked out? Sometimes a game is on ESPN but it should record the NESN channel because ESPN will be blacked out in my area.
post #4661 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Tivo is very good at handling live sports events, but you'll probably want to setup Wishlists for everything you want. I have auto-record wishlists with 1 hour padding for a bunch of different sports (with specific keywords to look for and exclude), so it doesn't matter what channel they're on.
post #4662 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Tivo is very good at handling live sports events,

+1
IMHO, TiVo excels at sports programming due to its wishlist search capabilities. Any team in any sport I follow will have their games broadcast on different channels depending on whose home-game it is, conference, etc. With a TiVo wishlist you put in key words like the name of your team and the sport type and the TiVo will find any game of your team on any channel in the guide and schedule it. I don't think I've ever missed a baseball game in the 3 yr I've had my TiVo and I know I've never missed a football game.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4663 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM

The issue that I find with Verizon is that the guide info is not descriptive enough. At first, I thought this was just an issue with Verizon's guide provider but with Windows Media Center, I seem to have the same issue. With the Red Sox, there's the live game that is scheduled for 3 hours. But the next day or later that day, NESN has an edited version that is 2 hours long called "Sox in Two" but the guide data just shows something like "MLB Baseball, Red Sox at Yankees". I have this same behavior with WMC which uses Zap2It. It's my understanding that Tivo uses the game guide so I question whether it'll be any better at this.

Maybe I need to resign myself to the fact of recording all games and just delete the junk that I don't want?
post #4664 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can always limit how many recordings it will keep from a wishlist. If you pick five, when it records five programs from the specific wishlist, the next program will be recorded and the oldest one will be deleted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4665 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

The issue that I find with Verizon is that the guide info is not descriptive enough...

I've the exact same problem with Comcast and the NFL Network's Replay, Game of he Week, and other shows. The guide data is almost always wrong or not descriptive enough. So I record them all and toss out the ones I don't want.
post #4666 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Since Tivo is always recording I have no problem recording things I'm not sure of. Note if you do that I'd really suggest a XL or upsize the HDD yourself to 1TB. I upgraded mine almost day one and it was quite easy and has been working fine ever since. The only issue I run into on recording extra events is with only two tuners it can cause issues if two other things are on at the same time. A 4 tuner Tivo would take care of that for me but being OTA thats not a option
post #4667 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Tivo is very good at handling live sports events, but you'll probably want to setup Wishlists for everything you want.

+2!

This is one of the really great features of Tivo. I have auto-record wishlists for the teams that I follow, and it does a great job finding and recording all the games that are available. This is not something that you have to keep messing with. Once it is setup, it just works.

Blackouts I'm not sure about. I don't think Tivo knows in advance if a game will be blacked out or not. The word "blackout" does sometimes appear in the guide info, but I think that just means that the game may be blacked out, not that it definitely will. I have gotten some recordings where the game was blacked out.

Regarding the abbreviated replays, if you wan to exclude those, then I think you can set your wishlist to "first run only".

For more info on how to setup wishlists, see the FAQ at the beginning of this thread.
post #4668 of 4820 Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
No DVR's search functions can be guaranteed to be 100 percent accurate, of course, but the TiVo software comes closer than any other DVR. In fact, compared to the primitive functionality of most cable company rental boxes, TiVo laps the field. I have had 5 TiVos since 2000 and and am currently running two, a Series3, which has been in daily use for nearly 6 years, and a Premiere Elite, which I got early last month.

As other posters have pointed out, TiVo's Wishlist function is a powerful tool. There is a reason why so many of us who are longtime TiVo owners are fanboys.
post #4669 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 AM

Any advice on the cheapest way to get my wife a Tivo? I'm guessing it would be to get a refurb unit with a lifetime subscription.
post #4670 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

Any advice on the cheapest way to get my wife a Tivo? I'm guessing it would be to get a refurb unit with a lifetime subscription.

I saw a TiVo add a day or two ago announcing the reintroduction of their offer of a refurbished Premiere for $0 with a two year subscription. My daughter and son in law got one of their TiVos this way.
post #4671 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw a TiVo add a day or two ago announcing the reintroduction of their offer of a refurbished Premiere for $0 with a two year subscription. My daughter and son in law got one of their TiVos this way.

You must have a great TV Channel - I can't find anything about SUCH A DEAL
post #4672 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

You must have a great TV Channel - I can't find anything about SUCH A DEAL

It may have been a link on an AVS page but I can't recall for sure. I didn't pursue it because I had just got a Premiere Elite and so was not in the market.
post #4673 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may have been a link on an AVS page but I can't recall for sure. I didn't pursue it because I had just got a Premiere Elite and so was not in the market.

Sounds like a COULD HAVE, WOULD HAVE, and SHOULD HAVE deal.
post #4674 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Sounds like a COULD HAVE, WOULD HAVE, and SHOULD HAVE deal.

You can go to TiVo's website right now and get refurbished Premiere for $80 w/a one year commitment. But the bargain is $400 lifetime membership (if you're already a customer).

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #4675 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

There was a code floating aroung that allowed a new user to get lifetime for $399. It was still working in early April. I can't remember what it was but I found it from a google search. If you can find it maybe it's still valid.

post #4676 of 4820 Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

You can go to TiVo's website right now and get refurbished Premiere for $80 w/a one year commitment. But the bargain is $400 lifetime membership (if you're already a customer).

I wanted the DEAL gwsat was talking about
post #4677 of 4820 Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the LINK TiVo Link
post #4678 of 4820 Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here is the LINK TiVo Link

Yes, the TiVo ad for the $0 refurbished Premiere to which you linked was what I was referring to. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to find it.
post #4679 of 4820 Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ouch!! That is expensive. $480 over two years. For less you can get a Premiere with lifetime. Of course that is an upfront cost. But after two years with that online deal, you still have to pay for service, while the lifetime option incurs no further cost.

Edit: Plus a Lifetime Premiere can be sold for a hefty amount and the money can be put toward a newer model TiVo with lifetime service.

post #4680 of 4820 Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^that's how I think but others seem to like smaller monthly installments, to each his own I guess. With a cable company DVR one could pay almost as much/month and at the end have nothing so compared to that maybe the Tivo isn't such a bad deal.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page