Official AVS TiVo HD Topic! - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4831 of 4847 Old 02-21-2015, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
I compared the power supply loads on the mobos with a DVM. On the good one I think the 3.3V line reads about 5K ohms (but the bad one reads much higher - in the megohms and don't think there's a fuse) so I think the mobo is dust. What can I do now ?
I don't think the high ohms will damage the supply, so I tried the good supply on the Lifetime sub unit and it worked !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4847 Old 02-22-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Just thought I'd post this for anyone else having a similar problem with their Tivo HD, and possibly other Tivos?? exhibiting intermittent breakups using a antenna.
Over the years I've had issues with a couple of channels occasionally breaking up, once every couple of hours to occasionally several times/minute. It really only happens on a couple of channels and at one time I thought it was related to leaves but it's winter now and no leaves yet I was still having the occasional problem.
I have an attic antenna which I know can be subject to multipath but none of my other devices(many TVs and several DVRs) sharing the same antenna seem to ever have the problem, not even a older('07) Sony HDTV right next to the Tivo. Over the years I've tried moving the antenna a few degrees(all I can do in the cramped attic) and I've tried various attenuators to varying degrees of success. I also tried using a indoor antenna with a backwards splitter combined with my attic antenna and again have had varying degrees of success. When I tried things it seemed to help for a bit but then I'd notice the breakups would come back.
I was reading another thread where they were talking about FM traps and decided to give it a try. I didn't have a FM filter but did have all 75 ohm FM tap, antenna in FM out and TV out. I tried this inline with my Tivo HD with a terminating resistor on the FM out and low and behold several weeks later not a breakup on any channels, it's been perfect!
It seems to me my Tivo must be prone to FM overload which caused the TV breakup. I'm about 15 miles from my cities antenna farm where everything comes from so it's not like I have a tower in my back yard but for whatever reason FM seems to be effecting my Tivo. My Tivos signal strengths are generally in the upper 80s to mid 90s.
This post is just more a FYI for anyone else having a similar problem with their Tivo HD, try a FM filter, it just may work for you
post #4833 of 4847 Unread 10-03-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not to dig up a thread that hasn't been posted to in more than 7 months but just ran across this over at TCF and it's relevant to our HD, I was not aware of it.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10651200
Basically it says:
"some of you have noticed that we are beginning to limit certain support functions for S1 - S3. For example, under some circumstances we will not re-activate these boxes for new subscribers. Specifically, if a box is on a monthly plan, AND the account gets cancelled, we will not re-activate it. PLS boxes are exempt of course. And yes, we will transfer account ownership on these. Just give us a call."

My HD has lifetime so it's not a concern to me but does this mean that any S3 that doesn't have lifetime is basically a boat anchor for anyone purchasing one used, say off CL or Ebay? If so it's sure a buyer beware situation. At one point I was thinking of purchasing a used HD to supplement my 2 tuner HD but instead opted for a $300 Lifetime OTA Roamio with 4 tuners, will probably delegate my HD to the bedroom and network them together giving me 6 tuners to work with.
post #4834 of 4847 Unread 10-04-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You were smart to get the Lifetime when you did. Did you notice that you can no longer buy a Lifetime membership with a TiVo anymore when buying a box? They have gone into ridiculous-mode and is now charging you SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS ...again $600 ...for LifeTime and that's AFTER you pay for one year on their monthly plan (unless you buy their NEW 4K TiVo - that comes w/the first year free).

SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS NOW FOR LIFETIME!?!? SO Glad I bought my Roamio and Roamio Plus w/lifetimes last year!!!!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4835 of 4847 Unread 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
^^^ Thanks for the alert, I hadn't read the small print yet. I have a Premiere Elite with Lifetime service. Given TiVo's current pricing for Lifetime service, I will keep it until it dies, or, God forbid, until TiVo decides to cripple it.
post #4836 of 4847 Unread 10-04-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Amazon still has a stash of Roamio OTA units they are selling for $300, which INCLUDES lifetime service. This is for folks with an antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-Pr...rds=roamio+ota
post #4837 of 4847 Unread 10-04-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

If only they had a stash of Roamio's for CC's w/lifetime!!

post #4838 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow! over 6 months this very useful thread has sat dormant.....
Anyway I was just wondering if anyone has taken apart their old Tivo peanut remote? The HD remote has the switch, not sure if it matters though. I did get it apart but under the button membrane the board is covered in a sticky oil?? as are the buttons. I've never seen this before, the board and membrane are generally clean, and just require a cleaning to get the buttons back to working like new. I'm having issues with the large round arrow buttons, I need to push them very hard to get them to work. I figured I'd just take it apart and clean things like I've done with other remotes, but I don't know what to think of the oily residue......anyone know?
I'm thinking the oil might be to inhibit corrosion of the contacts and in the past with other remotes I have seem small areas of what at the time I though was someone had spilled pop on the remote but this is totally covering the circuit board and rubber membrane, like it belongs there

Last edited by jjeff; 04-28-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #4839 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Amazon still has a stash of Roamio OTA units they are selling for $300, which INCLUDES lifetime service. This is for folks with an antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-Pr...rds=roamio+ota
Up to $549. now.
post #4840 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showt...ir-TiVo-Remote

The oil seems to be normal. Looked at forums on the
weaknees website.
Ron
post #4841 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM

Tivo Bolt

Anyone try the Bolt?
post #4842 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill136 View Post
Anyone try the Bolt?
Opps. Strike two.
post #4843 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ogb View Post
http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showt...ir-TiVo-Remote

The oil seems to be normal. Looked at forums on the
weaknees website.
Ron
Interesting, thanks for the link. In that thread it looks like the OP just cleaned the oil off and said it was working after than(incidentally it was the same up/down/right/left disc that I'm having trouble with). I still wonder what the purpose of the oil was.......never really seen it before and I wonder after cleaning if I should reapply some type of light 3 in 1 oil?
I've cleaned a fair number of remotes over the years and have never seen something like this, weird
post #4844 of 4847 Unread 04-28-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill136 View Post
Up to $549. now.
May 2nd they are releasing a new round of Roamio OTA units WITH lifetime service, for $399, but these ones now have a 1TB drive, instead of the normal 500GB drive.
post #4845 of 4847 Unread 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Interesting, thanks for the link. In that thread it looks like the OP just cleaned the oil off and said it was working after than(incidentally it was the same up/down/right/left disc that I'm having trouble with). I still wonder what the purpose of the oil was.......never really seen it before and I wonder after cleaning if I should reapply some type of light 3 in 1 oil?
I've cleaned a fair number of remotes over the years and have never seen something like this, weird
Well I cleaned the oil off both the circuit board(with several soft paper towels) and back of silicone membrane, with soap and hot water running under the water, put everything back together and now my buttons all work with minimal pressure. Much snappier too, towards the end the buttons were quite laggy, probably partly due to the thick oily substance. This is the first time I've had to clean my Tivo peanut, a real record, other remotes I usually have to clean every 3-4 years and the Tivo remote has been used heavier than all my other remotes and is older. Maybe longivity was due to the oil or whatever Tivo put on the circuit board, regardless I think it got too thick after years of use and removing it really helped.
I still prefer the snappy buttons on my Roamio RF remote but the HD remote has the advantage of the switch so I can control either device in a pinch, the Roamio remote only works with the Roamio(unless I'd reprogram it and then it wouldn't work on my Roamio).
post #4846 of 4847 Unread 05-11-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well I cleaned the oil off both the circuit board(with several soft paper towels) and back of silicone membrane, with soap and hot water running under the water, put everything back together and now my buttons all work with minimal pressure. Much snappier too, towards the end the buttons were quite laggy, probably partly due to the thick oily substance. This is the first time I've had to clean my Tivo peanut, a real record, other remotes I usually have to clean every 3-4 years and the Tivo remote has been used heavier than all my other remotes and is older. Maybe longivity was due to the oil or whatever Tivo put on the circuit board, regardless I think it got too thick after years of use and removing it really helped.
I still prefer the snappy buttons on my Roamio RF remote but the HD remote has the advantage of the switch so I can control either device in a pinch, the Roamio remote only works with the Roamio(unless I'd reprogram it and then it wouldn't work on my Roamio).
After about 2 weeks of using my peanut remote cleaned and without the original "oily" substance on the circuit board, I have mixed feelings. No doubt it works better, no more having to mash the keys to get them to work. The bad side is I seem to get a fair amount more more false key entries, particularly when using the ring buttons(up down left right). I quickly push left but it registers as a down(or whatever). Still happy I did it but it's not nirvana either
I should really keep an eye out for a new peanut remote(like my Roamio has) that have "snappy" buttons(wouldn't need the RF option as my HD doesn't use RF anyway) as when using my Roamio I much prefer that remote, even if my HD remote was new, just like the feel of the new remotes better. How long have they used the newer remotes? did the Premiere also use them or is it new with the Roamio?
post #4847 of 4847 Unread 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After about 2 weeks of using my peanut remote cleaned and without the original "oily" substance on the circuit board, I have mixed feelings. No doubt it works better, no more having to mash the keys to get them to work. The bad side is I seem to get a fair amount more more false key entries, particularly when using the ring buttons(up down left right). I quickly push left but it registers as a down(or whatever). Still happy I did it but it's not nirvana either
I should really keep an eye out for a new peanut remote(like my Roamio has) that have "snappy" buttons(wouldn't need the RF option as my HD doesn't use RF anyway) as when using my Roamio I much prefer that remote, even if my HD remote was new, just like the feel of the new remotes better. How long have they used the newer remotes? did the Premiere also use them or is it new with the Roamio?
For $30 I'd just buy a brand new one from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/TiVo-C00221...ds=tivo+remote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders