post #541 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LpChaos View Post

Quick question for all of you. I'm not sure if this has been addressed but a cursory look through this thread brought no results.

I have a new Tivo HD and am transferring a recording to my computer (G5) right now that I would like to either burn to disc eventually or just keep to free up space on the Tivo. I'm transferring via a program called Tivo Transfer (I'm not sure if this is a Mac based only or both). Apparently you can only play back the video files in Toast DVD.

So my question is how would you go about editing commercials? And I assume all of you that are burning HD content have either an HD DVD or Blu-Ray burner correct?

Thanks!!

You'll find the answer you're looking for at Tivocommunity in this thread and here on AVSforum in this thread. Although both of these threads talk about HD DVD authoring, they're good starters for DVD authoring as well.

This is one of the areas where the Mac falls short surprisingly. Videoredo is only for the PC, but a really great commercial editing tool. If you read those threads, you'll see it can be done on the mac, but it's easier on the PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre View Post

You'll find the answer you're looking for at Tivocommunity in this thread and here on AVSforum in this thread. Although both of these threads talk about HD DVD authoring, they're good starters for DVD authoring as well.

Thanks for the pointers to those great links.
post #543 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post

I have had my Tivo HD since December and I love it. But there is one thing that pisses me off and that is the inability to turn off my AV receiver and my TV with the peanut remote.

Do the upgraded remotes on the Tivo web site have that extra on off button?

Any Tivo Peanut remote can control both your A/V Receiver and your TV power. Unfortunately, Tivo only lists the instructions on their website. The link was to long to post but here is a copy lifted from there.
Your TiVo remote can control the power and volume of both your television and A/V stereo. In addition, it can control the TV INPUT button on some televisions.

To control the power, volume and mute on your TV, select Part 1: TV power, volume, and mute.

To control the volume and mute on your A/V Stereo, select Part 2: A/V volume and mute.

To control the power, volume, and mute on your A/V Stereo, return to Part 1, but use the code you selected in Part 2. You should now be able to control the power on your TV and A/V Stereo at the same time.

To control the input setting on your TV, select Part 3: TV Input.

Notes If you choose to control both your TV and A/V Stereo power simultaneously, the two may occasionally become out of sync (one turns off when the other turns on). To reset, manually turn your TV on or off to match your A/V Stereo. You may then use the remote as normal.
post #544 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 10:56 AM

Liked: 11
I think Dawgdaes was referring to a specific button on the Motorola remotes: All Off. I am pretty sure there is no way to accomplish that with a TiVo remote. The instructions you refer to would change what device the buttons affect, not enable a multiple switch-off.
post #545 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No, he wants to turn off his TV and his A/V receiver with the Peanut remote. Using the instruction listed I turn off/on my A/V receiver and my TV with one button push on the Tivo Peanut remote. It does effect a multiple swith-off. Thats why the 1st step is repeated with the A/V receiver code and the power button.
post #546 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Hmmm... Mine didn't work that way.
post #547 of 4820 Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Does anyone know if you program the 30 second skip, can you then erase it and go back to the standard function of the >| button?
post #548 of 4820 Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrick View Post

Does anyone know if you program the 30 second skip, can you then erase it and go back to the standard function of the >| button?

Yes, just repeat the same sequence.

However, IMHO, there is very little reason to do so. Try this: Press FF (or REW), then the skip button. See, it's become the "skip to tick" button. A few clicks will take you to the end or beginning of the program -- the same functionality as the button has when not set to 30-second skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

No box but Verizon's own will ever support their VOD. Verizon uses their own proprietary implementation of IPTV for VOD so there is nothing TiVo or anyone else can do to support it.

Verizon and TiVo could cooperate to implement support for Fios VOD on TiVo boxes. And even without Verizon's cooperation, TiVo might in principle be able to reverse engineer it; but I don't expect that to happen. (I do half-expect some third party to do it for the PC... in which case it would become trivial to do it for the TiVo as well.)

57 channels and nothing on
post #549 of 4820 Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LpChaos View Post

Quick question for all of you. I'm not sure if this has been addressed but a cursory look through this thread brought no results.

I have a new Tivo HD and am transferring a recording to my computer (G5) right now that I would like to either burn to disc eventually or just keep to free up space on the Tivo. I'm transferring via a program called Tivo Transfer (I'm not sure if this is a Mac based only or both). Apparently you can only play back the video files in Toast DVD.

So my question is how would you go about editing commercials? And I assume all of you that are burning HD content have either an HD DVD or Blu-Ray burner correct?

VideoRedo TVSuite for Windows is the best tool to quickly and automatically remove commercials from TiVo SD and HD recordings without quality loss. But since you have a Mac...

I'm not aware of any simple commerical detection and removal software for the Mac, but you can use MPEG Streamclip for OSX to manually remove commercials. More information in the MRV/TTG/TTCB on TivoHD & Series3: FAQ.
post #550 of 4820 Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM

For those of you who have used TivoDecode Manager, does the program randomly stop decoding a file halfway through? I've tried decoding Wedding Crashers twice now and it stops at the same point (10.05GB out of 19.39GB) for some reason.
post #551 of 4820 Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking of getting a Tivo HD for my father, and I'm curious to kno if I can unflag channels that he's not interested in, so that when you use the channel up or down button, it just surfs through the channels he likes. (He's 90, and this would be a nice feature for him....) I have a couple of receiver/dvrs that have this feature associated with the up/down or favorite channel buttons, and it's VERY helpful (on both you can still get one of the unfavorite channels by entering the channel number specifically...)

Thanks - Tony

...the main reason I'm thinking of getting it for him is that I want him to get the standard array of HD channels from Comcast's digital package, but NOT have to cope with the lousy Comcast remote. In addition to its gross complication, it doesn't have a TV power button, and once my father pushes the wrong button and loses the picture, it's all over...

(The Tivo remote has that all-important TV power button, AND appears to be a lot simpler for basic operation!)

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #552 of 4820 Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

I'm thinking of getting a Tivo HD for my father, and I'm curious to kno if I can unflag channels that he's not interested in, so that when you use the channel up or down button, it just surfs through the channels he likes. (He's 90, and this would be a nice feature for him....) I have a couple of receiver/dvrs that have this feature associated with the up/down or favorite channel buttons, and it's VERY helpful (on both you can still get one of the unfavorite channels by entering the channel number specifically...)

Thanks - Tony

...the main reason I'm thinking of getting it for him is that I want him to get the standard array of HD channels from Comcast's digital package, but NOT have to cope with the lousy Comcast remote. In addition to its gross complication, it doesn't have a TV power button, and once my father pushes the wrong button and loses the picture, it's all over...

(The Tivo remote has that all-important TV power button, AND appears to be a lot simpler for basic operation!)

Yes. You can tag each channel as a "received" and/or "favorite". You can then choose to see only "received" or only "favorites" in the guide.

BTW...my Comcast remote has a power button that works for the TV.
post #553 of 4820 Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Yes. You can tag each channel as a "received" and/or "favorite". You can then choose to see only "received" or only "favorites" in the guide.

BTW...my Comcast remote has a power button that works for the TV.

(Our Comcast remote, and the one that my father had for a little while - 2500 miles away - has a button that works for TV power only if you push ANOTHER button to switch the remote to the TV...that's where things can get confusing once you lose the picture...)

My question about the Tivo remote was, can the channel rocker switch be set to only work for favorite channels....my father is unlikely to use the guide or to record things. What I want to know is how the remote will work if he's only using the volume and channel up/down rockers...

thanks - Tony

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #554 of 4820 Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

(Our Comcast remote, and the one that my father had for a little while - 2500 miles away - has a button that works for TV power only if you push ANOTHER button to switch the remote to the TV...that's where things can get confusing once you lose the picture...)

My question about the Tivo remote was, can the channel rocker switch be set to only work for favorite channels....my father is unlikely to use the guide or to record things. What I want to know is how the remote will work if he's only using the volume and channel up/down rockers...

thanks - Tony

Yes, the channel up/down will only surf through the channels in the guide (received or favorites). The remote will work well for him if you just want TV power toggle, TV volume up/down, and TiVO channel up/down.
post #555 of 4820 Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Yes, the channel up/down will only surf through the channels in the guide (received or favorites). The remote will work well for him if you just want TV power toggle, TV volume up/down, and TiVO channel up/down.

OK! Thanks for the info...Tony

post #556 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 AM

I've seen you guys mention the TivoHD has QAM capability on both tuners. I never saw this mentioned in the specs on the Tivo website (at least never saw the word QAM). I wanted to confirm that the TivoHD has QAM capability and also wanted to be sure it has the full 2 tuner feature set while in QAM mode.

I currently get $10/month TWC basic cable ( I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV and don't find the extra $45/month for the digital tier to be worth it) and watch HDTV through a Samsung QAM capable STB. If I get a TivoHD I would replace the STB and my VCR (yeah I still have one) with the Tivo and have 1 less device to mess with.

On the other hand, is there another way to record QAM HDTV without paying a monthly fee for a guide? I really don't watch that much broadcast TV and while a DVR would be nice, doubling my monthly fee to have one makes it not so appealing.
post #557 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winghus View Post

I've seen you guys mention the TivoHD has QAM capability on both tuners. I never saw this mentioned in the specs on the Tivo website (at least never saw the word QAM). I wanted to confirm that the TivoHD has QAM capability and also wanted to be sure it has the full 2 tuner feature set while in QAM mode.

That is correct. The TiVo will record two different QAM channels simultaneously while you watch a third, previously recorded program. Or you can watch (and pause, replay, rewind) one QAM channel while you record another.

The TivoHD will integrate analog cable channels, QAM channels, and OTA HD channels into the same program guide. Note, however, you won't get guide information on QAM channels without a CableCard. Without a CableCard, the TiVo has no way to know what QAM channels correspond to what channels in the cable company's lineup. But you can create manual repeating recordings on the QAM channels for daily, weekly, Mon-Fri, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winghus View Post

On the other hand, is there another way to record QAM HDTV without paying a monthly fee for a guide? I really don't watch that much broadcast TV and while a DVR would be nice, doubling my monthly fee to have one makes it not so appealing.

With a QAM tuner for a computer like the HDHomerun, that is easy to do.

There are no other standalone dual-tuner HDTV DVRs with QAM capability. The TivoHD is the only one.
post #558 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Note that you'll need 2 cable cards (or one multi cable card) if you want to record two stations at once. This may cost you an extra $3 a month.

I'm in the same situation you're in (basic cable service) and I think the monthly Tivo fee is money well spent. I resisted Tivo for years, but it is really nice having a STB that works this well.

One thing to consider is that cable companies are changing how they send higher tier stations. Go to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703 and read up on it before you buy - you should at least be aware that things are changing. SDV should not impact you, however, since you only have the Basic cable.
post #559 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Speaking of CableCARDs, I just had the CableCARD service call from hell for my S3. Here's what happened.

Yesterday morning my TiVo kicked me out of the recording I was watching to Live TV. Instead of a picture a message appeared, which said that the cable company (Cox OKC in my case) was upgrading the firmware of the card in Slot 2 and that I would have to wait up to 40 minutes for the download to complete. Three hours later, the message was still there and I couldn't watch stuff on the other tuner, either. I called Cox customer support and they sent a technician out after a reboot had failed to clear the fault.

Cox's tech arrived at 2:45pm and didn't leave until 8:55pm, after having tried to install seven (7) different cards. The cards were all Scientific Atlanta M version. The tech's supervisor came for awhile, too. During the course of this six-hour-plus nightmare, I called the TiVo CableCARD hotline three (3) times and lost track of how many times the tech who was here talked to either the head end or his supervisor. We also reran Guided Setup at least three times and did an equal number of cold reboots on the box.

When the Cox tech left, the card in Slot 1 was working but the one in Slot 2 was not. He and his supervisor had got this far but no further a couple of hours earlier before he had swapped the cards in those slots. Thus, we both assumed that Slot 2 was defective, which the TiVo tech had warned us might be the case.

Fortunately, the box healed itself overnight and both CableCARD slots and the cards in them are working perfectly and have been for the past six hours. I have to assume that it just took extra time for the S3 to recognize the new card in Slot 2. For whatever reason, I am grateful that my S3 is working normally again. Color me lucky, I guess
post #560 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Fortunately, the box healed itself overnight and both CableCARD slots and the cards in them are working perfectly and have been for the past six hours. I have to assume that it just took extra time for the S3 to recognize the new card in Slot 2. ...

It seems more likely (to me) that something was fixed at your cable company.
post #561 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Note that you'll need 2 cable cards (or one multi cable card) if you want to record two stations at once. This may cost you an extra $3 a month.

You don't need CableCards to record unencrypted QAM channels.

CableCards serve two purposes. They (1) authorize and decrypt the encrypted channels to which you subscribe -- such as CNN-HD and ESPN-HD, and (2) remap the QAM channel numbers so the appropriate numbers in the cable company's lineup so you get guide information on all digital channels.

I'm in the same situation you're in (basic cable service) and I think the monthly Tivo fee is money well spent. I resisted Tivo for years, but it is really nice having a STB that works this well.

Quote:

It seems more likely (to me) that something was fixed at your cable company.

That seems likely to me as well.

Over the years, I've experienced a number of [non-TiVo] issues with the cable company, and most of the time, they had no clue about the problem I was reporting. But most of the time, the issue was fixed late that night or early the next morning. I think Comcast engineers do their maintenance [to create and] fix problems in the early morning or late evening hours, and if they introduce a problem they perceive as minor, they don't fix it until the next maintenance window.
post #562 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
just wooted one. i'm excited for it. i only have a 4:3 Sony WEGA but it does 1080i, so until i get my Kuro in June it'll have to do.
post #563 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

just wooted one. i'm excited for it. i only have a 4:3 Sony WEGA but it does 1080i, so until i get my Kuro in June it'll have to do.

Are you sure you want a Kuro in June.

Pioneer announced they are not making Plasma TVs any more.
post #564 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

oh trust me i've been reading those threads like crazy the past couple days. either way, the current TV's aren't going to melt because Pio might be using Panasonic factories in the future. the 5010's are gorgeous, and if they make 5020's like they're still supposed to (we'll find out Friday) then great and i'll get one of those. either way, nothing that happens business-wise from here on out makes any of their TV's already out any less desireable. and i won't buy another for 5-7 more years anyway, so who cares?
post #565 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

oh trust me i've been reading those threads like crazy the past couple days. either way, the current TV's aren't going to melt because Pio might be using Panasonic factories in the future. the 5010's are gorgeous, and if they make 5020's like they're still supposed to (we'll find out Friday) then great and i'll get one of those. either way, nothing that happens business-wise from here on out makes any of their TV's already out any less desireable. and i won't buy another for 5-7 more years anyway, so who cares?

I just wanted to be sure you were UP-TO-SPEED
post #566 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks, no i appreciate it - just sayin'
post #567 of 4820 Old 03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You don't need CableCards to record unencrypted QAM channels.

CableCards serve two purposes. They (1) authorize and decrypt the encrypted channels to which you subscribe -- such as CNN-HD and ESPN-HD, and (2) remap the QAM channel numbers so the appropriate numbers in the cable company's lineup so you get guide information on all digital channels.

You're right. However, I found it a real pain not being able to use the Tivo guide or other software on the unencrypted QAM channels. Having cable cards allows you to fully utilize all of the Tivo's capabilities, which I assumed he wanted.
post #568 of 4820 Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:

You're right. However, I found it a real pain not being able to use the Tivo guide or other software on the unencrypted QAM channels. Having cable cards allows you to fully utilize all of the Tivo's capabilities, which I assumed he wanted.

Do you know if TWC offers a Cablecard for the lowest tier of basic cable? I'd probably be willing to pay the $2-$3/month for a Cablecard (or 2 if they don't have a multi-stream) if TWC has it set up to work with the very basic 15 channel cable service I have.
post #569 of 4820 Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about TWC, I've got Comcast. They did provide me cablecards for Basic service. The first cable card is free per month, and the second is $2.95 a month. Comcast charges for a multi-stream card as though it were 2 single stream cards.

Make sure you inform TWC that both cablecards go into the same device or you may get additional charges.
post #570 of 4820 Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know about TWC, I've got Comcast. They did provide me cablecards for Basic service. The first cable card is free per month, and the second is $2.95 a month. Comcast charges for a multi-stream card as though it were 2 single stream cards.

Not in my neck of the woods! My M-card with Comcast costs me nothing, zero, zip, nada!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page