Official AVS TiVo HD Topic! - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4832 Old 06-17-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Get the cable cards. That is the only way you will get full use from your TiVo with digital cable. Otherwise just use an OTA antenna.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4832 Old 06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by giper View Post

I know I can get QAM, but on the TiVo remote there is not a _ key on the remote. My clear QAM channles are labeled as 1_1, 1_2, etc.

On the remote from my TivoHD there is a "-" key for tuning digital substations.

It is shared with the "->" (skip?) button. While entering numbers to tune, press the "->" button and you'll get a "-"

For example, I press "2", "->", "1" and it goes to "2-1".

Maybe this will work for you.
post #723 of 4832 Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my TV (Pioneer 5020) and hooked up the TiVo HD to the TV. I have all of the QAM channels up and working through the TiVo HD. My only problem is that none of the clear QAM channels fit the whole screen. If I can't get a program to fit my TV screen I push screen size until it reaches wide 1 or wide tv using the tv function. When I try aspect on the TiVo remote I can't get the picture to fill the whole screen. Any suggestions? Do I need the cable cards to make the tv programs fit the screen?
post #724 of 4832 Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 AM

Liked: 11
Which specific channels are you referring to (their call signs as reported on your TiVo in the upper right corner when you show the Info bar)?
post #725 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 AM

It is mainly ABC and a little bit of NBC. I can't even use the Pioneer's aspect of wide 1 or wide 2 to get the picture to fit the screen. would the specific QAM number help you?
post #726 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 AM

Yes, the QAM channel numbers may provide some insight.

Is your problem that the aspect isn't changing, or that the changes aren't perfect?
post #727 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 AM

I just got mine hooked up yesterday with just basic cable (TWC is coming tomorrow with the cable cards) and noticed the SD picture is significantly of lower quality than the 8300HD box. I have it connected with component, just like the 8300...is there something I'm doing wrong, or just wait for the cable cards tomorrow to see how it is...

Crime Warner MDN 2.4.4-16
post #728 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by giper View Post

Thanks for the info regarding the CC. Here is my next question. How should I hook up the TiVO HD to my Pioneer 5020? Here is what I plan on. I am going to use my basic cable to receive the clear QAM channels. Do I hook the cable to my TV and than to the TiVo HD? Or do I hook the cable into the TiVo HD and than connect the TiVo to my TV through HDMI? If I do connect the TiVo HD to the TV through HDMI will I be able to use my TV remote to watch the clear QAM channels?

if you have cable your Tivo will tune to the QAM channels anyway. it will find them, just let it search.
post #729 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
giper-
Many (most?) TVs do not let you change the aspect ratio of HD broadcasts. Probably what you're seeing is what is being broadcast, and 'fitting it to the screen' will actually only distort it. Another thing to consider is how you're scaling the broadcast with the TivoHD. I think I'm using the 720p setting where everything is forced to 720p. This cuts down on handshaking issues with HDMI. However, it also means that even SD material is sent to my projector as HD material. Fortunately, my projector lets me select any aspect ratio I want. You may want to try 'Native'.

I've never touched the 'aspect' TivoHD, so I cannot help you there. I suspect you're best leaving it alone.
post #730 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes View Post

I just got mine hooked up yesterday with just basic cable (TWC is coming tomorrow with the cable cards) and noticed the SD picture is significantly of lower quality than the 8300HD box. I have it connected with component, just like the 8300...is there something I'm doing wrong, or just wait for the cable cards tomorrow to see how it is...

I think you're just seeing analog now. Need cable card(s) for digital pic.
post #731 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah...I knew that, but even with time warners box, the analog CBS looked way better. And I did a scan for channels and it found a few of my locals in HD, and whenever it tunes to one, I get a high pitched squeal out of my speakers for a second while it changes channels...anyone else have this? Hopefully these little quirks disappear when I get the card tomorrow, or this thing may be going back...

post #732 of 4832 Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah...I knew that, but even with time warners box, the analog CBS looked way better. And I did a scan for channels and it found a few of my locals in HD, and whenever it tunes to one, I get a high pitched squeal out of my speakers for a second while it changes channels...anyone else have this? Hopefully these little quirks disappear when I get the card tomorrow, or this thing may be going back...

SD looking worse is odd, I've seen several 8300HD's in action and the TivoHD looked almost exactly the same with SD material. In my situation, the TivoHD looks exactly the same with analog SD stations as when I bypass the TivoHD and conect the cable directly to my TV.

It appears you're having your TivoHD output at the incoming (Native) resolution, but your 8300HD is outputting at a fixed (High Def) resolution. Your TV may not scale SD material via HDMI all that well, so it would look worse with the TivoHD than with the 8300HD.

The high pitch squeal is because when you change channels (and the resolution changes) the TV and the TivoHD have to go through some HDMI hand-shaking to get back in sync. It all has to do with copy protection. The squeal probably isn't coming from the TivoHD, it is coming from your TV (or receiver) while this hand-shaking is going on.

The solution to both problem may be to just set the TivoHD to always output at either the same resolution, or to use one one of the Hybrid resolutions. I use a hybrid 720p resolution. Another way to avoid the HDMI hand-shake would be to use component cables to connect from the Tivo to your TV.
post #733 of 4832 Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM

I have it connected via component to my SXRD and optical running to my receiver. It is set up in native mode to pass all the resolutions off just like I had the 8300HD setup...

post #734 of 4832 Old 06-21-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Slick-
Are you sure you're looking at the same signals? I've been told that some cable companies have the same SD channels in analog and digital. If that is the case, the 8300HD would be displaying the digital station, but your TivoHD would be displaying the analog. With cable cards, it (TivoHD) would be able to display the digital.

I don't understand how it can be taking a second for the channels to change if you're using component. Mine is essentially instantaneous. The only situation where I saw it not being instantaneous is when using HDMI and using Native.

Seriously, though, try using one of the fixed resolutions. It seems to work better.
post #735 of 4832 Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 PM

So the first couple days with this thing is a mixed bag. A few quirks that are so obvious and overlooked I can't believe it after hearing that Tivo was the best out there.

1. You can't view the guide while watching a recorded program, it stops it and you have to jump back and forth through the menus to resume your program.

2. If you have the box on native mode and pass all the resolutions to the TV, even while browsing the Tivos various menus, it changes resolutions. One screen may be 720p, and another may be 480i. VERY annoying.

3. That damn high pitched squeal when I switch from an HD DD5.1 source to a SD Pro Logic source and vice versa.

4. On many occasions, browsing through the amazon unbox and various other download areas, the box just completely hangs, then resumes.

It's only been a couple days, but all the audio dropouts and tiling I was having with the 8300HD seem to have disappeared for the most part, possibly because of the SATA faster hard drives in the TIVO.

So far, like I said its a pretty mixed bag, and I don't know what to think so far.

post #736 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:

So the first couple days with this thing is a mixed bag. A few quirks that are so obvious and overlooked I can't believe it after hearing that Tivo was the best out there.

TiVo is the best out there. That doesn't mean it is perfect, or even that it is overwhelming better than the alternatives. To be the best, it just needs to be a bit better, and it is -- just a bit better than the rest.

Quote:

1. You can't view the guide while watching a recorded program, it stops it and you have to jump back and forth through the menus to resume your program.

That's correct. (I wonder what gave you the idea that you could. ) It isn't that hard to get back to a program you were watching. Just press TiVo twice. You should now see the program or its folder selected. If the folder, then press select, and you have the program selected.

Quote:

2. If you have the box on native mode and pass all the resolutions to the TV, even while browsing the Tivos various menus, it changes resolutions. One screen may be 720p, and another may be 480i. VERY annoying.

Actually, I believe all the TiVo basic menus are the same resolution, so you're only switching modes when switching between watching programming and navigating the menus, or while navigating TiVo advanced functionality.

Quote:

3. That damn high pitched squeal when I switch from an HD DD5.1 source to a SD Pro Logic source and vice versa.

I don't have that with my sound system.

Quote:

4. On many occasions, browsing through the amazon unbox and various other download areas, the box just completely hangs, then resumes.

The TiVo advanced menus lead to a lot of functionality that is less refined than the rest of the TiVo functionality, IMHO. I only experience the box completely hanging when I try to run CableCARD diagnostics, but I do note a good bit of lag with things like Swivel Search.

Quote:

It's only been a couple days, but all the audio dropouts and tiling I was having with the 8300HD seem to have disappeared for the most part, possibly because of the SATA faster hard drives in the TIVO.

Perhaps, but I have video drop-outs with the TiVo with an eSATA attached. Be forewarned.

Quote:

So far, like I said its a pretty mixed bag, and I don't know what to think so far.

That's why I keep reminding folks that this is simple technology. Even the best isn't anywhere near perfect. And the difference between what Comcast offers for rental here (the Motorola DCT-3416 and its ilk) and TiVo is a lot smaller than a lot of people would have you believe.
post #737 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I know what you're saying and I also realize that limitation when I'm using TiVo since I've used other platforms that allow for that functionality. Mention it to a TiVotee and they'll ask, "What do you need that for?", but I find it makes a huge difference since my viewing is uninterrupted. I don't mind that the viewing size is shrunk since whatever I plan to do in the Guide or Menu will take a matter of seconds. Beats the heck out of having to go back and forth.
post #738 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 05:20 AM

I am with those folks who feel that the program guide issue isn't very important. I cannot remember the last time I checked the program guide on the TiVo. I set up most of my recordings using TiVo Central Online. When I'm using the TiVo it is strictly to watch a program, and in which case I don't want my viewing to be interrupted by anything.
post #739 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger View Post

Mention it to a TiVotee and they'll ask, "What do you need that for?"

Told ya.
post #740 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

I share your disappointment over the TiVo software's inability to display the program guide while you are watching a recorded show. It's a weakness, an uncharacteristic one, but a weakness, nonetheless. Maybe the TiVo gods will smile on us some day and add that feature. It is fervently to be wished for.

Many of the problems that have been reported here about glitches happening when the resolution changes seem to be related to having set the TiVo's video on one of the Hybrid, rather than one of the Fixed settings. I have always used the 1080i Fixed setting and have never experienced any of the problems others have had associated with resolution changes.
post #741 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As gwsat pointed out, perhaps one day TiVo will implement this feature.

Quote:

It does indeed do this. Some of the menus are rendered in 480i but scaled up to 720p resolution, while other menus (particularly most of the HME apps) are native 720p. Definitely a personal preference as to whether or not this is "annoying". Doesn't bother me at all.

Quote:

Never heard this in my set up, passing audio via Toslink to my Lexicon audio processor.

Quote:

Hangs, as in freezes completely until you power cycle it ? Or hangs, as in it sits there for a few seconds and then continues to function ? Keep in mind that these apps must traverse the network, and slow network access can hinder their performance.
post #742 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

As gwsat pointed out, perhaps one day TiVo will implement this feature.

Do keep in mind, though, that there are a lot of TiVo fans that explicitly do not want this feature, found in iGuide software, brought over to TiVo. Reasonable people disagree about whether this is a good idea, and so TiVo needs to decide if the expense is worth the risk of annoying people who would rather have seen things left as is. So if both sides are equally represented, the expense itself would cast the deciding vote (opposed, of course).
post #743 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Do keep in mind, though, that there are a lot of TiVo fans that explicitly do not want this feature, found in iGuide software, brought over to TiVo.

Reasonable people disagree about whether this is a good idea, and so TiVo needs to decide if the expense is worth the risk of annoying people who would rather have seen things left as is. So if both sides are equally represented, the expense itself would cast the deciding vote (opposed, of course).

Easy solution... Add a User Option to turn it on or off.

The way you craft your message tries to make it sound like people that do want the feature are not reasonable.

Poor Tivo, they probably can't afford to go to the bathroom.

Sounds like they're so broke they may not survive. I hope they don't go belly up and take my newly paid lifetime subscription with them.
post #744 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Have any of you TivoHD guys used the Moxi or any of the iGuide units (Pace, etc...)?

Is so, how is the TivoHD better (need to justify the cost).
post #745 of 4832 Old 06-22-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post

Quote:

Reasonable people disagree about whether this is a good idea

The way you craft your message tries to make it sound like people that do want the feature are not reasonable.

Read it again.

I think you are simply looking for a fight wherever you can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post

Poor Tivo, they probably can't afford to go to the bathroom. Sounds like they're so broke they may not survive. I hope they don't go belly up and take my newly paid lifetime subscription with them.

I think TiVo's future is not necessarily secure. They rarely turn a profit, and I don't really see any reason to think anything is going to change along those lines.
post #746 of 4832 Old 06-23-2008, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Do keep in mind, though, that there are a lot of TiVo fans that explicitly do not want this feature, found in iGuide software, brought over to TiVo. Reasonable people disagree about whether this is a good idea, and so TiVo needs to decide if the expense is worth the risk of annoying people who would rather have seen things left as is. So if both sides are equally represented, the expense itself would cast the deciding vote (opposed, of course).

Why should anyone be annoyed by getting the option to look at the program guide while watching a recording? After all, if they didn't want to use it they wouldn't have to. The feature would simply give us more control over our boxes, it seems to me. Would there be a downside here that I'm not seeing?
post #747 of 4832 Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The feature in iGuide that I really disliked was the LiveTV PIP window while traversing the guide data. You could unintentionally be spoiled be something occurring in that little window while you were simply trying to schedule another recording. Not a good feature.
post #748 of 4832 Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

edit:deleted
post #749 of 4832 Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:

If you are watching a recorded movie and want check the guide, the fastest way back to your recorded show is usually to press the left arrow on the Tivo remote, that should take you back to the show screen where you can just press play.
post #750 of 4832 Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapster View Post

Have any of you TivoHD guys used the Moxi or any of the iGuide units (Pace, etc...)?

Is so, how is the TivoHD better (need to justify the cost).

I've used all 3, and think that the TiVo is more like the MOXI in terms of features, but you really need to just buy one at a local B&M store and try it for a week. After 7 days, TiVo will require you to pay for their service.

If you choose to do this, call your cable company first and set up the cablecard install. Then buy your TiVoHD the day before. That way, you'll get to try out an almost fully functional TiVo for 6 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page