Official AVS TiVo HD Topic! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4820 Old 10-11-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 178
THX certified means that they're finally admitting that the HD is also certified, because the motherboard is the same for HD and XL. Otherwise, it don't mean jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4820 Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem of center channel audio dropping on your tivo during pause/ff/rew and play. I've been having issues since i got my tivo last year. i also only have an hdmi connection between the box and my onkyo 875.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

Hyrax, the audio switching could be the problem, but i don't think so since it doesn't just cut out while playing. it only seems to do it when it's starting from stop, forward/rewind, or pause. like the tv/receiver lost a lock on the audio signal. makes me think the Tivo isn't sending out a strong one or the HDMI has problems. it's not really feasible for me to hook directly to the tv, my setup is pretty complicated - and the audio dropout doesn't happen all the time, so my theater would be crippled for days to try to figure it out. sucks. i've heard of others having the problem too though, so it's not just me.

it only happens with my Tivo, not my Blu-ray or Xbox 360. so it's the Tivo, I think.

post #813 of 4820 Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

THX certified means that they're finally admitting that the HD is also certified, because the motherboard is the same for HD and XL. Otherwise, it don't mean jack.

Rather, the TiVo HD is not certified, but probably could be, if they wanted to pay the licensing fee for it. I agree with you, though, that the devices are probably technically the same.
post #814 of 4820 Old 10-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

The other differences are ability to integrate with control systems (e.g. Crestron)

Nah, that works with the regular TiVo HD, too.

57 channels and nothing on
post #815 of 4820 Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Anybody here using Tivo w/TWC? Has TWC implemented the tuning adapter yet so Tivo can get SDV channels? Or has anyone heard any info about it?

Thanks,
Harold
post #816 of 4820 Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 AM

Just saw this on EngadgetHD.
Sounds promising.
I think I may get one and return my 8300hd.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/17...ter-this-year/
post #817 of 4820 Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Got an email from Tivo today about the upcoming DTV transition:

"Because you already subscribe to cable or satellite service--and are
not receiving any of your television signals for your TiVo(R)DVR
through analog antenna--you are NOT affected by the transition and
will continue to enjoy the TiVo service uninterrupted."

I do not subscribe to cable or satellite. I get all my signals via antenna -- DIGITAL broadcast signals. I think they need to reword that email a little bit

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #818 of 4820 Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, after going all summer and the first month of the fall TV season with only a Sony HDG-HDD250 as my only DVR (and giving up on the Echostar TR50), I finally sprung for a refurb TivoHD. I got it hooked up last night, and after a little scare, I'm looking forward to all this thing can do. The scare was, I went through the set up, and everything looked fine, I got all the guide info, but there was no video, either on live tv or the preloaded intro videos. Also, just black backgrounds under the menus. After about an hour, everything just started working though. Anyway, I don't have any questions or anything yet, just kind of wanted to jump into the thread.

Rocky
post #819 of 4820 Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah it's a known problem on first start but a reboot clears it up. I saw the same thing when I got mine.
post #820 of 4820 Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm psyched to learn that Netflix streaming is coming the the TiVOHD in December!! WAHOO! now if they can turn on the HD streaming like they're doing for XBOX that'll complete the deal!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #821 of 4820 Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question, I had a problem tonight where my Tivo's picture went all wonky, it looked like it was on the wrong resolution or something, and recordings stopped. The first time was recording Smallville, and it lasted about 5 minutes, the second time was during CSI, and lasted closer to 15 minutes. They resumed the recordings when it came back up, but the unit was totally non-responsive when it happened. The second time I tried unplugging it, but it still took a while and fixed itself eventually. Is this a common problem, and is there something to do to fix it? Slowbiscuit, you mentioned reboot the box, how is that done, since there are no buttons on the front, and the remote isn't responding?

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really hoping these are just some setup bugs that will work out pretty quick.

Rocky
post #822 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome to Tivo, I'm also here having bailed on the Echostar TR-50 about two months ago.

If the unit is unresponsive to remote, just pull the plug. If responsive, you'll find a shutdown option deep in the settings menu somewhere.

I haven't heard of the problem you have had; hopefully it settles down and you don't see it again.

I'm also excited about the Netflix deal, been waiting for that for a long time. I've been a Netflix subscriber for many years. But they need to get their HD service launched, SD ain't gonna do it for me.

post #823 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks ChrisC47, I'm gonna keep and eye out on this hopefully it's just a fluke.
I've never subscribed to Netflix, but this deal might be enough to get me to sign up. I know they're constantly giving away "first month free" kind of deals, so maybe I'll check that out in December.

Rocky
post #824 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Quick question, I had a problem tonight where my Tivo's picture went all wonky, it looked like it was on the wrong resolution or something, and recordings stopped. The first time was recording Smallville, and it lasted about 5 minutes, the second time was during CSI, and lasted closer to 15 minutes. They resumed the recordings when it came back up, but the unit was totally non-responsive when it happened. The second time I tried unplugging it, but it still took a while and fixed itself eventually. Is this a common problem, and is there something to do to fix it? ...

Another possibility is that it is not a Tivo issue but that the broadcast was screwed up. I was watching a football game on Sunday and the signal brokeup (went pixelated), the screen went black, it came back as a SD signal, and then went black again for a few minutes. While this was going on, my remote would no allow me to do much. This, or something like it, happened a couple of times during the 1st quarter of the game and then never happened again. I also had strange things happen during the Olympics.

The reason I know it isn't a Tivo issue is that I also have a non-Tivo box in another room and it recorded the same stuff.

The most surprising thing is that I used to get all my channels over the air and signal breakups were fairly common. Trees eventually got big enough that I had to give up on OTA reception and I'm now getting most of my stations via Comcast. So if I'm getting my HDTV via a cable company, I really wonder why signal breakups are still happening so often. There is no excuse for Comcast not getting a quality digital signal.
post #825 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quick question, I had a problem tonight where my Tivo's picture went all wonky, it looked like it was on the wrong resolution or something, and recordings stopped...

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really hoping these are just some setup bugs that will work out pretty quick.

As mentioned above, the local broadcaster could have forgotten to switch over to HD after commercials. It happens occasionally here in Nashville. Once a month or so, we get a few minutes of a show or another in SD in the beggining, then it switches over.
post #826 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

As mentioned above, the local broadcaster could have forgotten to switch over to HD after commercials. It happens occasionally here in Nashville. Once a month or so, we get a few minutes of a show or another in SD in the beggining, then it switches over.

It happens here in BOSTON also.

I'm just AMAZED with all our technology - that TV
Stations don't have some device that can do this
automatically. It doesn't take a Super Computer
to differentiate between a HDTV signal and a SDTV
signal. It is ridiculous that some human has to sit
there and throw the switch.
post #827 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

Possibly, but this seemed to be a different issue. I've had OTA HD for about four years now, and I've never had station issues or reception dropouts totally lock up the receiver like this. Well, I'm probably blowing this out of proportion anyway, I'll get it all settled in soon.

Rocky
post #828 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

It happens here in BOSTON also.

I'm just AMAZED with all our technology - that TV
Stations don't have some device that can do this
automatically. It doesn't take a Super Computer
to differentiate between a HDTV signal and a SDTV
signal. It is ridiculous that some human has to sit
there and throw the switch.

SOme stations do have automatic switches. People here have reported that as they change their equipment they may have to go for a few months with a manual switch... but ultimately it will all be digital.

Quote:

Possibly, but this seemed to be a different issue. I've had OTA HD for about four years now, and I've never had station issues or reception dropouts totally lock up the receiver like this. Well, I'm probably blowing this out of proportion anyway, I'll get it all settled in soon.

Read my reply to the above. It may be a temporary thing caused by the stations changing over to HD, or the all digital February deadline. Theres another thread here, i forgot which where someone who works at a TV station described it. He said during the switchover of the equipment, they had a few month window where on certain shows it was manual switching (something to do with mixing in local commercials...). So while it may work perfectly for years, you may be in that few month window. Or it may be completely unrelated as you say.
post #829 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hard to tell from your original description, but it sounds like the Tivo was recording whatever strangeness was being broadcast. I think the Tivo may have gone into its error correction routines and been working like mad to make sense of the garbage it was getting. This may have made the Tivo appear to be unresponsive to your remote. I'm just assuming that might be what you were seeing. Different boxes react differently to bad data, but I've seen the behavior I described on several other recording devices when there are severe dropouts.

I think many OTA broadcasts may be a little shaky for a few months. I've heard that TV stations are making some significant changes to their digital broadcasting equipment as they get ready for 2009. Around here, stations that used to come in just fine have disappeared while they change towers, and such.
post #830 of 4820 Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM

Any idea what kind of bandwidth would Netflix HD streaming require?

I'm too, excited about the Netflix news but now I'm worried with the above question. I've used cable modem but still...
post #831 of 4820 Old 11-01-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I'm too, excited about the Netflix news but now I'm worried with the above question. I've used cable modem but still...

I have downloaded HD movies from iTunes to watch on my Apple TV. My Internet connection is provided by my cable company, Cox OKC, and the Apple TV was part of an 802.11g wireless network, which I have since upgraded to 802.11n. The downloads were plenty fast enough. I expect that the Netflix downloads will work about the same way.
post #832 of 4820 Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Netflix will use 8-9Mbps for its 720p HD streaming in VC-1 with Dolby Digital 5.1.

Apple uses significantly less bandwidth for its psuedo-HD streams, so those are not directly comparable.
post #833 of 4820 Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

I'd heard the same number but didn't want to post it. It's waaaay too high for me. Someday I'll bite the bullet and try to get my connectivity upgraded, but the process is so unbelievably painful that I'm just sucking it up and living with 1.5 Mbps DSL. Earthlink, I remember when you didn't suck.

Oh, and VC-1? Yuck.

post #834 of 4820 Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspect that it will allow you to download and watch later. Still easier than using disks, but obviously not optimal.
post #835 of 4820 Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Netflix will use 8-9Mbps for its 720p HD streaming in VC-1 with Dolby Digital 5.1.

Apple uses significantly less bandwidth for its psuedo-HD streams, so those are not directly comparable.

Nice bitrate. Nice to see more codec support as well.

Perhaps TiVo will open up the MPEG-4 support for HMO use as well (pyTivo and such), rather than just the HME stuff.
post #836 of 4820 Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I suspect that it will allow you to download and watch later. Still easier than using disks, but obviously not optimal.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that. The Netflix licensing agreement prohibits full downloads for later viewing. It's "on demand" streaming only with a 15-30 minute buffer (I forget the exact limit). That's a limitation you get when you pay just $8.99/mo for unlimited access and viewing.

You'll want / need a ~10Mbps connection for reliable HD streaming with Netflix.
post #837 of 4820 Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that. The Netflix licensing agreement prohibits full downloads for later viewing. It's "on demand" streaming only with a 15-30 minute buffer (I forget the exact limit). That's a limitation you get when you pay just $8.99/mo for unlimited access and viewing.

You'll want / need a ~10Mbps connection for reliable HD streaming with Netflix.

This required connection speed is way too fast for most people (including me ).
post #838 of 4820 Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This required connection speed is way too fast for most people (including me ).

Time to upgrade your net connection? DSL can only take you so far.

Netflix has a number of newer releases and recent episodes of several series available in 720x480 VC-1 at nearly 4 Mbps. If you can't sustain that, the feed will drop down to around 2.5Mbps. I believe the next step after that is 1.5 Mbps, which is also the standard bit rate used for most movies.
post #839 of 4820 Old 11-10-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
On the few occasions I have downloaded HD movies from iTunes, they streamed just fine via Cox OKC's high speed internet and an 802.11g wireless network; the PQ was excellent, too. It didn't look quite as good as a BD does, of course, but it wasn't bad. What is bad, is the price, five bucks a pop. That's one of the reasons I bought a PS3 and a 2-movies-at-a-time subscription from BB for $16.99 a month, plus tax. I haven't rented an iTunes HD movie in months.
post #840 of 4820 Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Time to upgrade your net connection? DSL can only take you so far.

There are plenty of folks out there with only DSL available (like my in-laws). Or they're stuck with DSL because cable internet is often unreliable (like mine).

Sucks to be an American with the broadband 'choices' we have today. Living in the most technically advanced country, it's a farce.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page