Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4820 Old 08-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

Tivo just started spooling out a new b software upgrade for the Tvo HD yesterday. Mostly to deal with macroblocking/pixelation problems associated with cablecards.

seems to be better with motorola cards some SA card uses are still reporting problems.

I am one of the unlucky ones with SA cards and I can tell without hesitation that the new update made things worse for me.

Not only am I experiencing more severe pixelation but also more frequent. I am also experiencing a problem with fast forward skips.

I LOVE TIVO. But I would strongly recommend that anyone who lives in an area with Scientific Atlanta CableCards (such as Time Warner Cincinnati) wait until Tivo fixes the problem. If you expect perfection, you are going to be pissed. Just keep checking this forum and Tivo Community for news on an update to address the Scientific Atlanta debacle. After they fix that problem it's gold Jerry! Gold...

Dolf M
I love TV, Technology & Tennis
Greater Cincinnati Area
http://twitter.com/#!/dolfer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4820 Old 08-19-2007, 10:46 PM

Liked: 11
Do cablecards provide access to the premium HD channels? I have a HD-DVR from Charter, but Charter refuses to rent me a second one for our bedroom, which my wife would like to have. We would like to be able to record programs from the premium HD channels to which we subscribe, such as HBO and ESPN, if we buy a new Tivo-HD.
post #63 of 4820 Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Do cablecards provide access to the premium HD channels? I have a HD-DVR from Charter, but Charter refuses to rent me a second one for our bedroom, which my wife would like to have. We would like to be able to record programs from the premium HD channels to which we subscribe, such as HBO and ESPN, if we buy a new Tivo-HD.

Yes, CableCards provide access to premium channels.

However, as indicated by the prior poster, the current TivoHD software has a pixelization issue with Scientific Atlanta CableCards. If Charter uses Scientific Atlanta equipment in your area, then they probably use Scientific Atlanta CableCards too. If that is the case, you should wait for Tivo to fix that with a software update -- they say they are working on it -- before you purchase a TivoHD.

Motorola CableCards work fine.
post #64 of 4820 Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm cross posting because this seems to fit in with the discussion in this thread. I hope you don't mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Well, I went back to the local office and tried to see if there was anyway to get without any of the extras. I was hoping I could just get Basic + Comcast Digital, but I also had to get their extended basic as well. That would have added a total of $55 to my monthly Comcast bill.

I bought a Tivo HD and am setting it up now. The Tivo box plus 3 years of their service will cost me $563 (or an extra $15.66 a month). The equivalent Comcast HD would be about $2000. To be slightly fair, I should mention that Comcast would also provide a number of HD stations that I cannot get OTA - but then again I do not want any of those stations.

I resisted Tivo for a very long time, but have been pushed into their camp by some pretty stupid people at Comcast. They actually said if they did it for me, they'd have to do it for everyone. Well, Duh!

post #65 of 4820 Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

So I'm new to Tivo and just setting it up for OTA recording. One concern is making sure that SD recordings look as good as the original if I use the 'Best' setting. This may not be much of a concern, because most of the SD material I want is on PBS, and it is broadcast as SD on their HD channel. I assume this recorded 'SD on HD' will look exactly the same as what was broadcast.

Where should I go to get the best TivoHD info? I want to find out things like adding a 750GB hard drive (noise, heat issues?) or even simple things like the 30 second skip.

Thanks!
post #66 of 4820 Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So I'm new to Tivo and just setting it up for OTA recording. One concern is making sure that SD recordings look as good as the original if I use the 'Best' setting. This may not be much of a concern, because most of the SD material I want is on PBS, and it is broadcast as SD on their HD channel. I assume this recorded 'SD on HD' will look exactly the same as what was broadcast.

The "recording quality" settings only apply to analog channels. With digital channels, the TivoHD records the original digital bitstream (100% original quality).

Quote:

Where should I go to get the best TivoHD info? I want to find out things like adding a 750GB hard drive (noise, heat issues?) or even simple things like the 30 second skip.

TivoCommunity.com.

Be aware there are mass posts on that forum about the pixelization issues with Scientific Atlanta CableCards. Tivo has said they have a software fix in its testing now, but until that is out, users will continue to complain about that, as they should.

To enable 30-sec skip with the ->| button, enter the following key sequence while watching a recording: Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select. Note you will need to re-enter this code after a Tivo software update, and any time you unplug the TivoHD (or lose power).

TivoHD Upgrade Instructions
  1. Remove the outer case and existing drive using a torx screwdriver in the T10 size. If you don't have one of appropriate length, you can purchase the Star Driver T10 Ampro (9014713) from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.

2. Download WinMFS here.

3. Shut down Windows and attach original TiVo drive. You can open your computer and attach it with a SATA cable, or attach it externally using a SATA->USB adapter like this.

4. Boot to Windows XP (SP2) or Vista, run WinMFS, and click 'Select Drive' to select the drive you attached.

5. In WinMFS, click the 'Backup' option. Save the file to your hard drive.

6. Shut down the computer and attach the new, larger drive. You can disconnect the original Tivo drive.

7. Turn your computer back on, run WinMFS, and click the 'Restore' option. Select the file you saved to your hard drive in step #5.

8. You're done. Install the new drive in the TivoHD.

Note that won't backup your existing recordings. The "Backup" option in WinMFS just backs up the Tivo software and your configuration, not the recordings.

If you want to backup your recordings too,then you need to choose the MFSCopy option in WinMFS which requires that the original Tivo drive and new drive be connected at the same time -- in which case you may want 2x SATA -> USB adapters.

Be sure to purchase a hard drive with appropriate noise output and heat dissipation. Many retail drives will make your TivoHD sound like a jet engine. You can buy the same quiet Seagate DB35 drives used by Weaknees right here. For the TivoHD and Series3, you need the SCE version, available in 500Gb ($150) and 750Gb ($265) sizes.

Detailed Instructions
post #67 of 4820 Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

bfdtv -
You're my hero!

I'm just going to be OTA until they fix their cable card mess. I may never even bother with it, actually. OTA is really all I need.

Thanks for all the great info.

Tim
post #68 of 4820 Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed, there is no 'off' button on the remote. Or, if there is, my tired old eyes cannot see it. Does Tive go into a stand-by (low power) mode automatically?
post #69 of 4820 Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just noticed, there is no 'off' button on the remote. Or, if there is, my tired old eyes cannot see it. Does Tive go into a stand-by (low power) mode automatically?

No, it does not.

The only difference between the default 'on' and 'standby' is the buffering. If you put the TivoHD in 'standby,' it doesn't buffer the dual tuners. Most people do not bother with 'standby' since it only saves ~3 watts (i.e. 37 vs 34 watts).

It is worth noting that the Tivo ignores Emergency Alert System (EAS) messages in 'standby' mode. If you are in 'standby', your recordings will never be interrupted by those messages. For most people, that isn't a consideration, but if you live in an area with a lot of tornadoes, and your area frequently broadcasts those EAS messages, then 'standby' mode would prevent them from interfering with your recordings.
post #70 of 4820 Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tivo released a software update for the TivoHD today. It's supposed to eliminate issues (incl. pixelization) with Scientific Atlanta CableCards.
post #71 of 4820 Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

That's good news. I am amazed at how much I like the TivoHD. This may well be the best piece of A/V equipment I've ever bought. It's impact on my TV watching will be at least on a par with my first DVD player.

I'm strictly OTA now, but I like the TivoHD so much I may up my cable service so I can get a few more stations. Which leads to the question of storage space. Is there any reason (other than warranty) not to upgrade to a 500 GB or larger drive?
post #72 of 4820 Old 09-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Do you still have to pay a fee to TIVO, if you only want to use it for OTA recordings?
post #73 of 4820 Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is there any reason (other than warranty) not to upgrade to a 500 GB or larger drive?

Nope, just make sure you get a drive with a low-noise profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Do you still have to pay a fee to TIVO, if you only want to use it for OTA recordings?

Yes. The TivoHD is sold at a loss and they make their money on the monthly fee. More than half of the monthly fee also goes to pay for the guide service and software updates.
post #74 of 4820 Old 09-06-2007, 12:44 PM

So how will Time Warner switching to SDV casue problems for me if I buy the Tivo HD?

I have Raleigh Time Warner and the SA 8300HDC is junk in my opinion. I've had to replace 2 of them already. The Tivo HD is really attractive.
post #75 of 4820 Old 09-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusDew View Post

So how will Time Warner switching to SDV casue problems for me if I buy the Tivo HD?

I have Raleigh Time Warner and the SA 8300HDC is junk in my opinion. I've had to replace 2 of them already. The Tivo HD is really attractive.

See this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703

Basically, any channel that the cable company puts on SDV can't be accessed by the TiVo HD (or series 3), unless a workaround (one has been discussed: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363784) is produced.
post #76 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
SDV is a serious problem, potentially at least, for both S3 and TiVo HD owners because the current generation of one-way CableCARD devices doesn't support SDV. It's hard to predict at this early date how much S3 and HD owners will be hurt because the answer depends on how many of a given cable system's HD channels are shifted to HD.

In some Time Warner markets it appears that all of the HD channels will shift to SDV this month, which will turn the S3s and HDs used in those markets into boat anchors. The rest of us just have to wait and see.

One ray of sunshine I have seen in this is that SDV is only one of several ways in which cable systems can increase bandwidth or its utilization and isn't the best one at that. Apparently SDV does very little, if anything, to preserve bandwidth on heavily used channels and is most efficient when applied to seldom accessed channels.

There is talk that TiVo and others are working on a fix, in the form of a USB dongle, which would allow S3s and HDs to access SDV channels. But that proposed fix is months away, at the soonest, so we have to wait to see what comes of that, too.

Being an early adopter is hell, isn't it?
post #77 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

SDV is a serious problem, potentially at least, for both S3 and TiVo HD owners because the current generation of one-way CableCARD devices doesn't support SDV. It's hard to predict at this early date how much S3 and HD owners will be hurt because the answer depends on how many of a given cable system's HD channels are shifted to HD.

In some Time Warner markets it appears that all of the HD channels will shift to SDV this month, which will turn the S3s and HDs used in those markets into boat anchors. The rest of us just have to wait and see.

One ray of sunshine I have seen in this is that SDV is only one of several ways in which cable systems can increase bandwidth or its utilization and isn't the best one at that. Apparently SDV does very little, if anything, to preserve bandwidth on heavily used channels and is most efficient when applied to seldom accessed channels.

There is talk that TiVo and others are working on a fix, in the form of a USB dongle, which would allow S3s and HDs to access SDV channels. But that proposed fix is months away, at the soonest, so we have to wait to see what comes of that, too.

Being an early adopter is hell, isn't it?

I'm just waiting for people using these new systems to find out that they can't watch something because there's too many other channels in use by other people. How about the TV telling you in the middle of a program that too many people want to watch something else so it's disconnecting you. This has nightmare written all over it.
post #78 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM

Actually, the CableCards will work with SDV; the problem is the TiVo S3 and HD aren't two-way host devices. The solution you mentioned adds hardware to the TiVo device, and that will (supposedly) resolve the SDV issue, without any change to CableCards.
post #79 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Actually, the CableCards will work with SDV; the problem is the TiVo S3 and HD aren't two-way host devices. The solution you mentioned adds hardware to the TiVo device, and that will (supposedly) resolve the SDV issue, without any change to CableCards.

That's right. The proposed USB dongle fix is supposed to turn S3s and HDs into two-way CableCARD devices, which would allow them to use SDV channels.

Have any two-way CableCARD devices been marketed yet, other that the proprietary CableCARD enabled DVRs used by the cable companies, such as the SA 8300HDC?
post #80 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have any two-way CableCARD devices been marketed yet, other that the proprietary CableCARD enabled DVRs used by the cable companies, such as the SA 8300HDC?

Nope. At the moment, there's no point.

The current Cable Labs license requires that a two-way devices use the cable company's own OCAP interface (they can't use their own interface), but most cable systems still are not setup to handle OCAP devices yet. Until most cable systems are ready with OCAP, there is no way for two-way DVRs to get usable software.
post #81 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The current Cable Labs license requires that a two-way devices use the cable company's own OCAP interface (they can't use their own interface), but most cable systems still are not setup to handle OCAP devices yet. Until most cable systems are ready with OCAP, there is no way for two-way DVRs to get usable software.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Do you want to talk about a Catch 22? I try not to dwell on what content owners are doing to consumers with their various copy protection schemes - because this way lies madness.
post #82 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:

That’s right. The proposed USB dongle fix is supposed to turn S3s and HDs into two-way CableCARD devices, which would allow them to use SDV channels.

Quote:

When a CableCARD 1.0 module is used with a two-way receiver (e.g., Samsung HLR5067C) that card supports all the necessary two-way functionality for VOD, SDV, and other interactive services.

http://www.opencable.com/primer/cablecard_primer.html
post #83 of 4820 Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. At the moment, there's no point.

How do the current cable card DVRs (such as the SA 8300HDC) work?
post #84 of 4820 Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

How do the current cable card DVRs (such as the SA 8300HDC) work?

The same way the old models did. Many (most?) 8300HDC DVRs still use the same basic version of SARA.

One exception may be TWC's Navigator. My understanding is that TWC deployed an OCAP version of Navigator. If you are in a TWC market and your 8300HDC has the Navigator software, then it may be using the OCAP middleware.
post #85 of 4820 Old 09-08-2007, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The same way the old models did. Many (most?) 8300HDC DVRs still use the same basic version of SARA.

One exception may be TWC's Navigator. My understanding is that TWC deployed an OCAP version of Navigator. If you are in a TWC market and your 8300HDC has the Navigator software, then it may be using the OCAP middleware.

Isn't this (8300HDC DVRs with SARA but no OCAP middleware) a violation of the current Cable Labs license which you state requires that two-way devices use the cable company's own OCAP interface (they can't use their own interface), but most cable systems still are not setup to handle OCAP devices yet? Until most cable systems are ready with OCAP, there is no way for two-way DVRs to get usable software. Why can these devices ignore OCAP and still be permitted by the Cable Labs license but other devices can't?
post #86 of 4820 Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Well, I've looked around a bit, and this thread looks like the closest thing to an "official" tivohd thread...true? Please feel free to re-direct me if needed...

I have a series 3, and I'm considering a tivohd for the family room - especially with mrv coming in november - great news.

But I have a question - if I do NOT get cable cards on the tivohd (I do have them on the series 3, don't want to go through that again plus comcast sounds like they want to charge me 6.95 per additional card - they say they are surprised that I got my second card on the series 3 for just $1.50/mo, and the first one for free...!) - anyway, sorry for the digression - so, is there any impact on my guide data if I'm only concerned about recording OTA on the tivohd? I seem to remember the series 3 was limited/handicapped if you didn't get cable cards on it...any issues here if it's intended for OTA?

Thanks...
post #87 of 4820 Old 09-13-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Ron-
I've no problem with OTA recording. The guide data seems fine to me... I see about two weeks of data for all of my OTA stations. Season Pass and all that stuff seems to work fine.

I'm new to the world of Tivo, but, after just two weeks of TivoHD, I fear I'm hooked for life.
post #88 of 4820 Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have questions about cablecards, mainly because I've no idea how they work.

Comcast tells me I've got to subscribe to their digital package in order to get a cablecard. Does that make sense?

All I want it for is to get the clear QAM stations. Do I need a cablecard to do so? Most of my clear QAM stations already seem to be mapped properly when I look at them via my Fusion5 tuner in my computer (I've an OTA station 4-1, and a QAM 4-1 station). So I'm not sure why I would need a cablecard in the TivoHD.
post #89 of 4820 Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Well, I've looked around a bit, and this thread looks like the closest thing to an "official" tivohd thread...true? Please feel free to re-direct me if needed...

I have a series 3, and I'm considering a tivohd for the family room - especially with mrv coming in november - great news.

But I have a question - if I do NOT get cable cards on the tivohd (I do have them on the series 3, don't want to go through that again plus comcast sounds like they want to charge me 6.95 per additional card - they say they are surprised that I got my second card on the series 3 for just $1.50/mo, and the first one for free...!) - anyway, sorry for the digression - so, is there any impact on my guide data if I'm only concerned about recording OTA on the tivohd? I seem to remember the series 3 was limited/handicapped if you didn't get cable cards on it...any issues here if it's intended for OTA?

Thanks...

My TiVo HD arrived a couple of weeks before the cable cards did, so I set it up without the cards. It works fine, but without the cable cards, it will only receive basic analog cable channels. With an antenna hooked up, the OTA channels are digital and work fine.

Without the cable cards, the TiVo Guide data reflects the OTA channels and the basic cable channels. It works fine. However, I did notice the quality of some of the basic analog cable channels were lousy! Lots of contrast bleeding at the edges of the screen.

Mark
post #90 of 4820 Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I have questions about cablecards, mainly because I've no idea how they work.

Comcast tells me I've got to subscribe to their digital package in order to get a cablecard. Does that make sense?

All I want it for is to get the clear QAM stations. Do I need a cablecard to do so? Most of my clear QAM stations already seem to be mapped properly when I look at them via my Fusion5 tuner in my computer (I've an OTA station 4-1, and a QAM 4-1 station). So I'm not sure why I would need a cablecard in the TivoHD.

Yes, you need to subscribe to a digital package to use a cable card. A cable card is just a decoder for digital channels. Without a cable card and the cable attached to the cable input on the TiVo HD, all you'll receive are the basic, unencrypted analog cable channels.

Now I haven't tried this myself, but try hooking the cable into the antenna input on the TiVo HD. You might be able to see the clear QAM stations that way. My TV has a QAM tuner and for a while, I split my cable between the Comcast DVR I had and the TV. I was able to tune to the clear QAM channels on my TV. However, I doubt you'll get TiVo Guide Data for the QAM channels hooked up this way.

Mark
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page