Official AVS TiVo HD Topic! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In scanning the instructions for myself, I was also concerned about messing with my computer (i.e. not going to happen) but then also noted that the MFSlive folks ( http://www.mfslive.org/ ) have a bootable Live CD which can do the job. That would make me a lot less nervous, knowing that my computer's hard drive was basically out of the picture. Or better yet, allowing me to use some other computer altogether, as long as it had SATA capability ...

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Yup, you're reading it correctly. It was just too much work, in cloudy waters, AFAIC.

I upgraded my Tivo HD to a 1 TB Internal Drive.

I have the Original TiVo HD drive as my backup.

If the 1 TB drive ever dies it would take me ANOTHER 15 minutes
to update and install a new 1 TB drive for $99.

The Upgrade was a PIECE OF CAKE.
post #903 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
anyone think Tivo will ever go fully HD on its text and menus?
post #904 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

He's smarter than me.

Seriously, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was practically impossible. The issue for me is that it required connecting and unconnecting drives in my desktop computer, and I just wasn't willing to mess around with that.

You don't need to disconnect any drives in your pC. All you need to use is a USB to SATA adapter and WinMFS. It works fine that way.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #905 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Liked: 11
So it is basically a no screwdriver operation now? Good to hear. I don't recall a methodology that easy.
post #906 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I upgraded my Tivo HD to a 1 TB Internal Drive.

I have the Original TiVo HD drive as my backup.

If the 1 TB drive ever dies it would take me ANOTHER 15 minutes
to update and install a new 1 TB drive for $99.

The Upgrade was a PIECE OF CAKE.

What he said.

Instructions are at the very bottom of this post. The instructions were refined many times to make them [mostly] idiot-proof.

Quote:

So it is basically a no screwdriver operation now? Good to hear. I don't recall a methodology that easy.

You need a torx screwdriver to remove the drive from the TiVo, but you don't have to stick it inside your computer.
post #907 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

What he said.

Instructions are at the very bottom of this post. The instructions were refined many times to make them [mostly] idiot-proof.

I AGREE 100% - the hardest part of the upgrade was the SCREWS
post #908 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

my new HD Tivo sees my old HD Tivo, but says there are no recordings on my old one - which is not the case. I have transfers on. What gives?
post #909 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

my new HD Tivo sees my old HD Tivo, but says there are no recordings on my old one - which is not the case. I have transfers on. What gives?

From what I recall, units with new software can't transfer recordings to units with old software.

If you just got a new TiVo, it can take up to a week to download the latest software, although you can usually speed the process by forcing a few connections via Settings -> Phone & Network -> Connect to TiVo Service. Once your Phone & Network screen says "Pending Reboot," that means a software update is available for install. Normally, the TiVo would just reboot during the early morning hours to install the update, but you make that happen immediately by selecting Settings -> Restart or Reset System -> Restart the TivoHD. Software updates can take up to an hour to install.

It can also take a few days before both of your TiVos are properly authorized to transfer recordings in both directions. When your boxes connect to the TiVo servers during the early morning hours, your new TiVo will be authorized to transfer and view recordings from your old TiVo, and your old TiVo will be authorized to transfer and view recordings from the new one.
post #910 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From CED Broadband Briefs

Quote:

• TiVo updates TiVo Search for HD
By Traci Patterson

TiVo Inc. has unveiled a redesigned TiVo Search feature, which offers improved search results with a new high-definition design. The feature is available to TiVo users at no additional charge.

"What Google did for the Internet, TiVo is now doing for the TV, bringing people a combination of excellent search results and innovative discovery that can't be found anywhere else," said Tom Rogers, CEO and president of TiVo. "TiVo has always been known as the best way to watch what you want, when you want it. Now we're taking that to a new level, using TiVo technology to find just the right program from hundreds of channels and thousands of broadband options, all in seconds. It is clear TiVo is leading the way in providing more choice, and also leading the way in finding content quickly. TiVo Search is a new way to find what you've been missing."

TiVo Search uses the extra screen size of HDTVs to show more details about a highlighted program. And the new interface not only displays in HD, it has a focus on finding HDTV content. TiVo Search will be on display at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) this week in Las Vegas.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #911 of 4820 Old 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Moderators Note:

Topic title changed.
Please see second post for updated full details.

post #912 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I recall, units with new software can't transfer recordings to units with old software.

If you just got a new TiVo, it can take up to a week to download the latest software, although you can usually speed the process by forcing a few connections via Settings -> Phone & Network -> Connect to TiVo Service. Once your Phone & Network screen says "Pending Reboot," that means a software update is available for install. Normally, the TiVo would just reboot during the early morning hours to install the update, but you make that happen immediately by selecting Settings -> Restart or Reset System -> Restart the TivoHD. Software updates can take up to an hour to install.

It can also take a few days before both of your TiVos are properly authorized to transfer recordings in both directions. When your boxes connect to the TiVo servers during the early morning hours, your new TiVo will be authorized to transfer and view recordings from your old TiVo, and your old TiVo will be authorized to transfer and view recordings from the new one.

Oh I connected multiple times until the new box finally grabbed the Fall Update (11.0). They're both on 11.0 and see each other, but they cannot see the recordings. On top of that my Cablecard will not descramble any cable channels yet for some reason, so for alll intents and purposes my new box is moot for the time being. Which sucks.
post #913 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

From CED Broadband Briefs: TiVo Inc. has unveiled a redesigned TiVo Search feature, which offers improved search results with a new high-definition design. The feature is available to TiVo users at no additional charge.

From http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/whatsnew/tivosearch/ :

"TiVo Search (beta) is available right now on your broadband-connected TiVo® HD, HD XL, & Series3™ DVR. You'll find it under 'TiVo Central' > 'Music, Photos, & Showcases' > 'TiVo Search Beta'."

And down at the bottom of that page in the footnotes:

"TiVo DVR customers must opt-in to get the latest TiVo Search update."

I've been unable to figure out what effect exactly the opt-in has on my privacy, and I've read Tivo's privacy policy. When I first go my unit I did end up having to call TiVo support to make sure of my opt-out status, and that ended being something like 45 minutes of torture, between all the transfers and holds and confusion. Thus, in the meantime, oh well. I watch enough TV anyway

post #914 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

I've been unable to figure out what effect exactly the opt-in has on my privacy, and I've read Tivo's privacy policy. When I first go my unit I did end up having to call TiVo support to make sure of my opt-out status, and that ended being something like 45 minutes of torture, between all the transfers and holds and confusion. Thus, in the meantime, oh well. I watch enough TV anyway

You've probably heard about TiVo selling information on the most-watched commercials and most-skipped commercials. You may have also seen the list of "most popular" programs on TiVo's web site.

Privacy status with a TiVo is opt-out, opt-neutral, or opt-in. The default status for every customer is "opt neutral" unless they specifically change it.

With opt-neutral, the programs you record and the commercials you skip get reported anonymously to TiVo during the nightly service connection. This information is aggregated for tens of thousands of users, and then sold to advertisers so they can see what programs TiVo users are watching and what commercials are most effective (get skipped the most/least). All this information is reported anonymously so there is never any link to you or your DVR.

If you decide to opt-in, then the DVR reports the same information to TiVo, except it is linked to your DVR and your contact information.

Relevant quotes from the TiVo Privacy Policy:

Quote:

TiVo does collect Anonymous Viewing Information; that is, information about viewing choices made while using your TiVo DVR, but that does not identify you as an individual or household. In other words, TiVo does not link any personally identifiable information with your Anonymous Viewing Information that TiVo could use to identify the Anonymous Viewing Information as coming from you or your household.

Quote:

TiVo does not collect or access any Personally Identifiable Viewing Information (as defined below) from your TiVo DVR without your prior consent. Absent your consent, TiVo does not keep track of what shows you-as an individual or household- have watched, recorded, or rated with "Thumbs Up" or "Thumbs Down."

Should you give your consent and elect to opt-in....

And the definition of "Personally Identifiable Viewing Information:"

Quote:

1.2 "Personally Identifiable Viewing Information" means information about the viewing choices that you and those in your household make while using your TiVo DVR, if that information is linked to or associated with your Contact Information by TiVo. We have worked very hard to design our system to ensure that no Personally Identifiable Viewing Information may be sent to, or collected by, TiVo without your express consent.

And the definition of "Contact Information:"

Quote:

"Contact Information" means information which you provide to TiVo that allows TiVo to identify or contact you, including, for example: your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. Contact Information is a subset of Account Information and is thus linked to your TiVo DVR’s Service Number.

With the default privacy status, there is no link between the channels you receive, your recordings, or your scheduled recordings and your DVR. The beta version of HDUI Search requires you to "opt in" because it is run completely from TiVo's servers. If you don't opt in, TiVo Search has no way of knowing what channel you receive or what season passes you have" Without that information, most of the functionality of TiVo Search is lost.

Running the TiVo Search beta on their servers allows TiVo to make the application available to everyone without the need to install beta software on the customer's box. It also allows TiVo to update and improve the application daily based on feedback. It allows TiVo to experiment with "under the hood" changes to improve performance. The final version of TiVo search may or may not run from customer's own box -- TiVo hasn't said.

Gizmodo's HDUI Search Preview

post #915 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
bfdtv-Excellent job on the OP(or should say second), even including youtube instruction links
I'd really been hoping for the DTVPal DVR since I'm OTA only(great job on that thread too) and didn't really think I'd need all the features included in the TivoHD but after reading your first post I'm beginning to wonder.
It seems basically all the features that were either originally proposed for the DTVPal or just not available that I wanted are available with the TivoHD. Not to mention the many problems the current users are having with the Pal, which may go away with future updates but I'm not totally sold.

Again thanks for all the hard work you've put into both this OP and the Pals
Features I like and are available on the TivoHD but not the Pal:
1. Ability to add external storage.
2. Name based recording, including ability to only record NEW events.
3. S-video out as well as 480i component output.
4. Native resolution mode.
5. Ability to transfer to a computer, should I ever go that avenue.

Probably many more but those are just a few important ones, to me anyway.
post #916 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

bfdtv-Excellent job on the OP(or should say second), even including youtube instruction links

Thanks. It's not done yet. I plan to expand the FAQ section in the next day or two.
post #917 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I've been using a Philips DVD recorder for the past several months and am considering upgrading to the Tivo HD. The Philips provides a feature called Rapid Playback that allows you to play back a recording (including audio) about 30% faster than normal. I love this feature and use it liberally. It's a great timesaver when watching a slow movie, talk show, etc.

Does Tivo offer a similar feature? It's definitely not a deal breaker if it doesn't, but it would be fantastic if it does.
post #918 of 4820 Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

I've been using a Philips DVD recorder for the past several months and am considering upgrading to the Tivo HD. The Philips provides a feature called Rapid Playback that allows you to play back a recording (including audio) about 30% faster than normal. I love this feature and use it liberally. It's a great timesaver when watching a slow movie, talk show, etc.

Does Tivo offer a similar feature?

No.

TiVo just offers 3x, 20x, and 60x, plus 30s skip (for commercials) and 8s replay. Edit: Slow-mo and frame-by-frame advance too.

What many (most?) DVR users do is switch from liveTV viewing to timeshifted viewing. Rather than tuning in to watch House live at 8pm, DVR users will watch it from the beginning at 8:18pm and skip commercials. There are 18-22 minutes of commercials on most network television programs, so you'll finish the program at the same time, but you'll have avoided the commercials.
post #919 of 4820 Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TiVo just offers 3x, 20x, and 60x, plus 30s skip (for commercials) and 8s replay.

Bummer! Tivo does everything else, so it seems like rapid playback would fit right in. Oh well, maybe someday...thanks for the reply.

By the way, are there any outstanding issues with the current Tivo HD software/hardware? I've seen some reviews that mentioned freezups and reboots, but I think most of them were from a year or more ago. Is everything pretty stable at this point?
post #920 of 4820 Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bummer! Tivo does everything else, so it seems like rapid playback would fit right in. Oh well, maybe someday...thanks for the reply.

By the way, are there any outstanding issues with the current Tivo HD software/hardware? I've seen some reviews that mentioned freezups and reboots, but I think most of them were from a year or more ago. Is everything pretty stable at this point?

There's one major issue that's getting a lot of complaints right now -- periodic loss of the analog tuners. When this happens, all you get is a gray screen when you try to display or record an analog channel. It takes a reboot to restore the analog channels. Digital channels are not affected.

TiVo introduced this bug back in the 9.2 or 9.3 software and fixed it soon thereafter. It appears to have been reintroduced in the new 11.0 software, which was released just before the Christmas holidays. I suspect the combination of holiday and preparation for CES delayed the fix. I would assume that TiVo is working to get out a fix for analog channels, as they did when it happened before, but as of this posting, the TiVo is only reliable for watching and recording digital channels.

I only watch and record from digital channels with FiOS + OTA, so this problem doesn't affect me. But it's a very frustrating issue if you subscribe to basic cable and watch a lot of analog channels.
post #921 of 4820 Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There's one major issue that's getting a lot of complaints right now -- periodic loss of the analog tuners.

Thanks again. I pretty much use OTA digital only these days, so I don't think that would be an issue for me. I guess I'll go ahead and order a Tivo HD this weekend. Cheers!
post #922 of 4820 Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just ordered 2 1TB drives to upgrade my TiVOHD's. More to preserve the original drive should it 'crash' I don't end up with two doorstops.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #923 of 4820 Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your TiVo does not report what programs your DVR records and what commercials you skip unless you opt-in. All customers are "opt out" by default unless they've specifically agreed to "opt in."

That's not my understanding. Rather, there are three levels: opt-out, opt-in, and opt-neutral. The default is opt-neutral. In this mode, all the data is collected, and used for statistical purposes (most watched ad, etc.), but is not stored in a personally-identifiable way. Opt-in just lifts that restriction. (Opt-out keeps the TiVo from reporting anything.)

57 channels and nothing on
post #924 of 4820 Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

That's not my understanding. Rather, there are three levels: opt-out, opt-in, and opt-neutral. The default is opt-neutral. In this mode, all the data is collected, and used for statistical purposes (most watched ad, etc.), but is not stored in a personally-identifiable way. Opt-in just lifts that restriction. (Opt-out keeps the TiVo from reporting anything.)

Thanks. I did a search and you are correct. I reached a conclusion from a few, potentially outdated posts from TiVo which did not represent the full issue.

To eliminate any future confusion that post may case, I have edited it as appropriate.
post #925 of 4820 Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone with questions about the TiVo HD should read the second post of this topic, which is updated on a regular basis.

post #926 of 4820 Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Isn't that true of all the threads? You should actually read the thread or at least search it before posting questions.
post #927 of 4820 Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Isn't that true of all the threads? You should actually read the thread or at least search it before posting questions.

Yes, but some topics, like this one, have updated first posts that cover about 99% of what most readers are looking for, if they have questions.

The problems come in when readers don't think to check the updated first post.

post #928 of 4820 Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Has anyone come up with the remote code to go directly to the Now Playing list? I've found some posts that say Logitech had it up for the Harmony remotes at one time, but I've got an 880 and can't seem to find it. I understand the DirecTivo had a button for it on the remote, and I'd buy one of their remotes just for the code, as long as it's the right one. Thanks for any help
post #929 of 4820 Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I upgraded from a similar device (Pioneer 633) to a Tivo HD a few months ago and that rapid playback is definitely something I miss. The key feature you left out is that it plays the audio too. In my case, it was 40% faster (played at 1.4 times normal) which was just right for keeping up with dialog as long as you are paying full attention. So obviously it allowed me to plow through talking-head kinds of material faster. I miss it!

Tangentially related, I hate the new rewind/play behavior introduced with the latest software. Explanation ...

When you fast forward or rewind, each press of the button takes you to a faster speed, which I'll call FF1, FF2, FF3, RW1, RW2 and RW3, with FF3 and RW3 being the fastest. It used to be that if you were just doing FF1 or RW1, when you pressed play it would start playing at that exact point without double-back compensation. It would only do that overshoot compensation for the -2 and -3 modes. Well, now it does it for RW1 too. This drives me nuts when I'm trying to cue the recording up to a specific spot. Tivo, change this back!

post #930 of 4820 Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
^^^I agree, I really love my "speed play" Sony's term on their DVD players. Using speed play I can watch a 1hr. talk show in about 30 minutes (scanning through the commercials).
I would also prefer no "overshoot compensation" on FF or RW1. I guess nothing can have all the features we would like, even a Tivo. Too bad the overshoot wasn't something a user could change in setup. Speed play would have to be actually programmed if it hasn't ever been a feature. Heck my 1981 JVC 6700U VCR even had a form of speed play
Tivo's HD would more than make up for it though
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page