post #991 of 4824 Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Wow, the home theater world is weird. I've got just the opposite experience. I usually need to turn down my volume for Tivo HD stations after watching a DVD/Blu-Ray. Generally my volume is about -22 dB for DVDs and -32 dB (or -35 dB for sports) when watching cable (Comcast) or OTA HD stations on the Tivo.

This is my experience too. I have the Panasonic BD30 and the TivoHD.

That said, I watch primarily HD channels which all have DD2.0 or DD5.1. I don't think he (bob13654) has a surround system; he's using PCM stereo direct to his TV. It sounds to me like audio levels with PCM may be a bit different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4824 Old 01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
That makes 3 of us. I almost always have to set my receiver at a higher level for BD playback than that which I use for TV from my S3 in order to achieve the same SPl levels. I should add that TV soundtracks that are 2.0 are uniformly louder than those that are 5.1.
post #993 of 4824 Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anyone in Chicago areas 1,4,5 still not getting Guide data from Tivo for NickHD, LifeHD, and SpikeHD?
post #994 of 4824 Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

That said, I watch primarily HD channels which all have DD2.0 or DD5.1. I don't think he (bob13654) has a surround system; he's using PCM stereo direct to his TV. It sounds to me like audio levels with PCM may be a bit different.

Actually, I do have a surround system. I have a 7.1 setup with a Pioneer Elite 94TXH receiver that handles True HD, DTS Master Audio and Paradigm speakers. I have no problem with the sound levels of my BD30, my XA2, 360, PS3 or my Cox DVR. When I had the Tivo HD, I tried the DD and PCM output settings and had no problems when I ran through my receiver as it compensated for the lower volume, but I do watch a lot of "regular" TV with just the TV speakers, running HDMI directly to the TV. I have tried both PCM and DD, my TV is fully capable of handling the DD signal without using my surround receiver. The problem is that I don't always like having the surround on as I sometime like to watch at low levels without using the receiver. Running directly to my TV, which is how I run my Cox DVR now and how I ran my D* Tivo in the past, the Tivo HD is much, much lower in volume on either PCM or DD settings in the Tivo box.

Again, through the receiver it seemed alright, but I like to watch regular TV without using the AVR. I would think it was the TV if it weren't for the normal volume levels produced by the Cox Moto box and the D* Tivos that I have used in the same manner on the same TV.
post #995 of 4824 Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

I have tried both PCM and DD, my TV is fully capable of handling the DD signal without using my surround receiver. The problem is that I don't always like having the surround on as I sometime like to watch at low levels without using the receiver.

Even when you set the TivoHD to Dolby Digital (default), that setting is overridden by the TV if it requests PCM stereo over EDID. I'm fairly certain the Sony - like 98+% of all other HDTVs -- does that. I know for a fact that the XBR3 series only accepts PCM over HDMI.

Sounds to me like there is a difference in volumes between DD2.0/DD5.1 and PCM output on the TivoHD. That makes sense because the TiVo outputs the DD signal as is, whereas it must decode the DD signal to output PCM. I suppose I've never noticed the difference because I just hit the "Stereo" and/or "Night" button on my Harmony remote when I watch at lower volumes using my Denon 3808ci and Ascend speakers. If the PCM levels from the TivoHD are a problem for your TV speakers though, them I'm not sure anything can be done about that.
post #996 of 4824 Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

My TiVoHD and HD-DVD player are about the same.
My PS3/Blu-Ray player is about -7dB of this
My SA8300HD is about +7dB of this.

Thankfully the receiver I got for Fathers day (Denon AVR-3808ci) can apply an offset per input. So I do a -7dB offset of PS3 an -7dB offset for SA8300HD

I'd say DD5.1 feeds on cable tend to be about +3dB higher than most DD2.0 stereo feeds, and sports tend to be another +3dB respectively. Same on SA8300HD as TiVoHD - and what I've observed at other peoples locations so it's really the source and comparing OTA vs Cable feeds of the locals.

Definitely notice it when local's temporarily go from HD -> SD feed and then switch back to HD feed. Note that his is after I've used Microphone Autocalibration for my seating location on the receiver - so in theory the audio levels should be the same whether voice is coming out center in a 5.1 feed or out fronts in a 2.0 feed. But I'm sure this has a bit to do with it.

CCourtney
post #997 of 4824 Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Another day with TWC and Tivo HD cable card problems.
TWC tech came back again today.
Different guy with one M card and one S card.
They should know to bring two single stream cards, no?
Anyway after 3 hours with the new card I am still not getting 13 HD channels.
They confirmed that SDV is not active in Hudson Valley NY TWC. I wonder.
The person on the phone with the tech at my house had a Tivo HD DVR at the TWC office and she said she was getting all those channels I'm missing.
So they are going to come back tomorrow with the cable card from her Tivo.
I hope that works because no one seems to know what's wrong.
I guess they have not done many CC installs up here.
Could this possibly be just a office coding issue?
Or maybe the cc is not authorized properly?
post #998 of 4824 Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

If a reboot doesn't solve the problem, it's almost certainly a cable company configuration issue. There is no hardware or software issue that would cause a TiVo to receive some digital channels and not all. If your TiVo or CableCard was defective, you wouldn't reliably receive any cable channels.

Missing channels are generally caused by one of five things:
  1. SDV (without a SDV adapter) -- not applicable if your area doesn't use SDV yet;

2. Trap still installed outside home or on telephone pole -- this is used to restrict access to certain channels that a customer is not supposed to receive, but sometimes cable companies forget to remove them after you upgrade service;

3. System configuration error for CableCard customers -- sometimes when cable companies move around channels on their system to make space for new channels, they forget to update the channel maps that are used by all CableCard customers, resulting in missing channels; calling to complain usually gets this resolved;

4. Account authorization error -- one digital package may consist of 3-5 different sub-packages that must be enabled on an account for the customer to receive all channels; if one of those sub-packages isn't enabled, the customer won't get all channels.

5. Customer confusion about channels they are supposed to receive -- a user may think they are entitled to channels that they are not supposed to get with their programming package; this is common among FiOS customers with the older TV Premiere package, which does not include newer channels.

I would guess #4 is the problem in your case, although if you just got cable or upgraded from basic cable, you should probably ask about #2 as well.
post #999 of 4824 Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

Another day with TWC and Tivo HD cable card problems.
TWC tech came back again today.
Different guy with one M card and one S card.
They should know to bring two single stream cards, no?

No - just one M card should be used.

Quote:

Anyway after 3 hours with the new card I am still not getting 13 HD channels.
They confirmed that SDV is not active in Hudson Valley NY TWC. I wonder.
The person on the phone with the tech at my house had a Tivo HD DVR at the TWC office and she said she was getting all those channels I'm missing.
So they are going to come back tomorrow with the cable card from her Tivo.

Usually it's in their system. Here in Houston at least it takes about 1 full day for everything to get sync'd up and working properly. Even with their new 'automated' system.

I've gone through 3 installs on my TiVo HD

First One - June '07 - Two S-cards (hadn't rolled out M-cards yet)
- Took them 48hrs to get everything working and several calls to Tech Support. Since CC at that time had only gone into TV sets and not many of those where out there (at least in comparison to TiVoHD's today) they hadn't had much experience in installing them.
Second One - M-card - Figured I'd get rid of the extra charge and try out the M-card.
- Called had them sync the system - check out a few channels worked others didn't. She said I'd need to replace the card. I told her that I'd see where we're at after 24hrs. 24hrs later all the channels were working perfectly fine.
Third One - M-card - Just before Xmas, I got letter saying they're swapping out the Moto CC's for another 'more advanced' one and if I didn't do it I'd loose channels x,y,z. Not sure what the hell it was about, but I go in. I get the card and a instructions - just said everything is automated - stick it in and it'll be working within a few minutes. Of course I scoffed at that statement as it's a sure sign that it won't work immediately

Put it in, and it actually try to do everything automated. It turned out that once again I had to call tech support, give them all the information and let them figure it out. 24hrs later, all my channels where going.

So with CC, I've come to expect that it's going to be at least 24hrs after a card is installed that I'll get all my channels back.

CCourtney
post #1000 of 4824 Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've gone through this 5 different occasions on 2 HDTIvo's regarding 'pairing issues'. I've educated myself a LOT on this issue and scoured the internet for information. I found a document that details what every screen/line item means when using CC's in the HDTIVO and i've educated over 6 Comcast guys who've come to my house to get the CC's 'working'. I'm at work so i don't have that document but i found the best way to get CC's paired is to educate yourself on everything about it and then push until you get that 'one' high level tech who can understand what needs to be pushed through to get the CC's working (or, in my case, one M-Card). Cheers.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1001 of 4824 Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM

TWC cable cards and Tivo HD.
The 3rd time was not a charm.
They tried the cable card that was in my Tivo in a Tivo HD at TWCs office and it worked fine.
They said they set it up with the same packages that I have.
So now they want me to get my Tivo HD replaced.
Good thing it's new and I can return it.
I hope this is what's wrong.
Someone needs to simplify this cable card pairing and authorization process.
There are way too many thing that can go wrong.
post #1002 of 4824 Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
each TivoHD you put the card into, in fact each different slot, gives a unique DATA ID #. You need to give them that number to put into their system, when you install it.
post #1003 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Well guys, I'm soon to be part of the TiVo community. I've given up hope of the DTVPal DVR ever being fixed in a reasonable amount of time. I have a new 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma and I want to record in HD now, not 1-8 months from now waiting for Dish to get their act together. So, I pulled the trigger the other night and ordered a TiVo HD. All things considered it was absolutely the right decision for me. The TiVo does a lot of things I really want and I don't have a problem with the subscription.

I've read bfdtv's excellent reference post carefully -- which was really 90% responsible for pushing me the rest of the way into the TiVo fold -- and I've read the last 4 months of posts in this thread. Naturally, I can't find the answer to my question.

ABC likes to run their most popular shows a minute or two past the hour to try and trap you into watching their next show. Heros & DHW especially come to mind. So, when I schedule the TiVo to record a show like this, is the guide smart enough to know it will run past the hour? Will it automatically record past the hour to catch the over-run, or do I need to explicitly pad the end of the recording a couple minutes.

Conversely, NBC starts Saturday Night Live at 11:29pm. Does the TiVo know this or do I have to pad the beginning of the recording.

TIA

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1004 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Well guys, I'm soon to be part of the TiVo community. I've given up hope of the DTVPal DVR ever being fixed in a reasonable amount of time. I have a new 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma and I want to record in HD now, not 1-8 months from now waiting for Dish to get their act together. So, I pulled the trigger the other night and ordered a TiVo HD. All things considered it was absolutely the right decision for me. The TiVo does a lot of things I really want and I don't have a problem with the subscription.

I've read bfdtv's excellent reference post carefully -- which was really 90% responsible for pushing me the rest of the way into the TiVo fold -- and I've read the last 4 months of posts in this thread. Naturally, I can't find the answer to my question.

ABC likes to run their most popular shows a minute or two past the hour to try and trap you into watching their next show. Heros & DHW especially come to mind. So, when I schedule the TiVo to record a show like this, is the guide smart enough to know it will run past the hour? Will it automatically record past the hour to catch the over-run, or do I need to explicitly pad the end of the recording a couple minutes.

Conversely, NBC starts Saturday Night Live at 11:29pm. Does the TiVo know this or do I have to pad the beginning of the recording.

TIA

You can adjust start and ending times by a couple of minutes for each programmed choice in the TIVO menu.

Docray1
post #1005 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docray1 View Post

You can adjust start and ending times by a couple of minutes for each programmed choice in the TIVO menu.

Thanks. I knew that already from the reference post -- very useful for sporting events where the ending time is always uncertain. But for standard programming where the episode length is known, is the TiVo guide data "smart enough" to know a show will run past the hour and adjust it's recording time automatically.

You users who record Heros or Lost or DHW. What do you do? Do you have to explicitly pad the end by a couple minutes or does the guide take care of it for you.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1006 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Thanks. I knew that already from the reference post -- very useful for sporting events where the ending time is always uncertain. But for standard programming where the episode length is known, is the TiVo guide data "smart enough" to know a show will run past the hour and adjust it's recording time automatically.

You users who record Heros or Lost or DHW. What do you do? Do you have to explicitly pad the end by a couple minutes or does the guide take care of it for you.

Yes - if the show is 61 minutes long Tivo will record it as such. For some shows (Scrubs) I add 1 minute since it seems to miss the 'very end/last scene'. Some shows (The Shield i believe) recorded sixty-odd minutes to reflect the length of time. Mind you all bets are off when a live event is going on - i had to manually adjust The Amazing Race many times due to football going longer than scheduled.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1007 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome aboard Kelson. I did the exact same thing as you, but back in August. I'd been monitoring the DTVPal DVR thread since the Jan 2008 CES announcement, and when Charlie Ergen said "by Christmas" I bailed out and bought a Tivo HD locally that night.

Seconding what Wryker said above ... If the show is scheduled for 61 minutes, Tivo will record it properly. What you have to watch out for is sports programming, which can run past its scheduled timeslot. When I set it up to record 60 Minutes, it actually popped up a warning saying that the sports event might run long, would I like to pad out the recording? So I add an hour for 60 Minutes just to be safe.

So, you don't need to manually pad out the recordings, unless there's a possibility of a sports event earlier in the timeline that might run long.

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #1008 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM

I wanted to say hello to Kelson as well. I know he and I have been monitoring the DTVPal/TR-50 for too long. I too bought he Tivo HD and couldn't be happier. Well once I convince them that I need multiroom capabilty without buying another subscription that is . I think Kelson should change his signature to include life is too short to wait for Echostar to put out an OTA DVR that works!

Jeff

Thanks to DTV I cut the cable and now I'm saving $1200 a year!
Well make that $1100 since I bought the Tivo.
post #1009 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Like others, I only have to pad a show that follows a live event, the guide is pretty accurate. In addition to the major networks, Sci-Fi channel has live wrestling that runs long. The only other instance that comes to mind is the Travel Channel, it seems to be a off a little so I pad season passes 2 minutes.

I subscribe to this thread at Tivocommunity.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?f=10&a=81

I has a feature where you can subscribe to the forum and get notification of new posts or updates to any thread in the forum.
post #1010 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:

The only real downside to the TiVo, other than its initial cost and the price of a subscription, is that getting your cable provider to get your TiVo's CableCARD(s) configured can be difficult. It appears that they almost always get it done but, more often than not, it's messy.

You will be thrilled by the TiVo's software and user interface. Their power and flexibility are matchless. There are so many capabilities, I still learn new ones, even after 9 years of TiVo ownership. TiVo isn't cheap but you certainly will get what you paid for.
post #1011 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Yes - if the show is 61 minutes long Tivo will record it as such. For some shows (Scrubs) I add 1 minute since it seems to miss the 'very end/last scene'. Some shows (The Shield i believe) recorded sixty-odd minutes to reflect the length of time.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The only real downside to the TiVo, other than its initial cost and the price of a subscription, is that getting your cable provider to get your TiVo's CableCARD(s) configured can be difficult. It appears that they almost always get it done but, more often than not, it's messy.

That won't be an issue for me, I'm strictly OTA. I've had 4 years of faithful and reliable service from my Panasonic E-85 DVD recorder, which is still going strong. But after getting hooked on OTA HD on a big plasma, I had to have an HD recorder. It's been shipped and could be here by Saturday. And, I agree, you get what you pay for.

- kelson h

post #1012 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear.

You'll find that the guide information is more accurate than what you get with TVGOS.

TiVo guide data 'knows' whether a show is 59, 60, 61, or 62 minutes, etc. It caught all 63 minutes of last week's Lie to Me premiere and all 68 minutes of last month's extended House episode. The TiVo guide data 'knows' irregular start times like 8:07pm or 9:14pm that you see periodically on some cable channels, and occasionally on the networks when a extended length episode or premiere is scheduled.

You can pad series, but I find that unnecessary, except on shows that regularly follow sporting events (ex: The Unit on CBS).

One thing I would like to see TiVo add is the option to cancel all padding when there is a conflict by more than five minutes. Overlap protection avoids the cancellation of programs that overlap by five minutes or less, but padding beyond 5 minutes can cause conflicts. I like to pad all my sports team recordings by 30 minutes, but some get canceled because that padding causes a >5min conflict with two other higher-priority series.
post #1013 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
On the same vein as Kelson, if say a program is scheduled to run 2 minutes late(example to 9:02 PM) and I have another event scheduled on another channel that starts at 9 pm, I would think the second event would be recorded by the second tuner? Am I correct in assuming I wouldn't have a option to record anything else(on another channel) until 9:02 PM, that is the end of that first event?
bfdtv also wrote "some get canceled because that padding causes a >5min conflict with two other higher-priority series" Are you warned of this conflict so you can correct it before the event? TVGOS gives a little ! if there is a problem, I would think Tivo might do something similar?

Kelson-TVGOS also knows when a program is scheduled long, eg. DHW but the DTVPal DVR seems to use a much cruder version of the real TVGOS. I just may be following your lead, I've given up on the Pal but I just have to muster up the courage to commit to a "lifetime" of service because I unlike you, don't care for reoccurring fees and would rather get it all done upfront.
post #1014 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

On the same vein as Kelson, if say a program is scheduled to run 2 minutes late(example to 9:02 PM) and I have another event scheduled on another channel that starts at 9 pm, I would think the second event would be recorded by the second tuner?

That is correct.

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming I wouldn't have a option to record anything else(on another channel) until 9:02 PM, that is the end of that first event?

No.

The TiVo has a feature called "overlap protection" to address situations where three or more programs overlap by five minutes or less. When enabled (the default), this feature will automatically cut up to five minutes from the lowest priority recording if and only if doing so will allow another scheduled series to record.

For example, suppose you had series recordings prioritized as follows in Season Pass Manager:

1. 24 (normally Monday @ 9-10pm on FOX)
  2. Heroes (normally Monday @ 9-10pm on NBC)
  3. CSI Miami (normally Monday @ 10-11pm on CBS)
  4. True Beauty (normally Monday @ 10-11pm on ABC)

If this week's episode of Heroes ran from 9:00 to 10:02, then True Beauty would be cropped by two minutes because it is the lowest priority series.

If your spouse were to re-prioritize the series as below, that would produce a different result.

1. True Beauty (normally Monday @ 10-11pm on ABC)
  2. CSI Miami (normally Monday @ 10-11pm on CBS)
  3. 24 (normally Monday @ 9-10pm on FOX)
  4. Heroes (normally Monday @ 9-10pm on NBC)

With this setup, True Beauty and CSI Miami would start on time and the last two minutes of Heroes (10:00-10:02) would be cropped.

Programs that will be cropped have their time flagged with a * on the To Do List.

Quote:

Are you warned of this conflict so you can correct it before the event? TVGOS gives a little ! if there is a problem, I would think Tivo might do something similar?

Any time you select to record a new series that conflicts with two others by more than five minutes, the TiVo displays a conflict screen showing the applicable changes in the record schedule, including the programs that will and won't record. You are given the option to cancel the new recording or proceed with it as shown.

TiVo does not visibly indicate when a program won't record, although you can see everything that will record on the To Do List (record schedule). On the TiVo, a series episode is not "canceled" because it conflicts with two other higher-priority programs; the TiVo will just continue to search for a reairing of that episode (which may or may not come). Cable channels typically re-air their programs the same night or later in the week, so conflicts with those channels are rarely a problem.

You can click on a program, select "Upcoming showings," and you will see a list of all upcoming showings in the next two weeks. There will be a checkmark next to the showing that will actually record.

post #1015 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just may be following your lead, I've given up on the Pal but I just have to muster up the courage to commit to a "lifetime" of service because I unlike you, don't care for reoccurring fees and would rather get it all done upfront.

Considering all the capabilities the TiVo has, after I pulled the trigger and the sale was final I wondered why I waited so long. Especially when it was clear very early the Pal DVR was going to be problematic for a good while. Consider the $650 for a TiVo HD with lifetime subscription to be the price of 2 DVD recorders. For the time-shifter, you get 2 tuners in a single box, only 1 box to manage, records in hi-def, has an excellent guide and all the other features you won't find in a DVDR (or the Pal DVR for that matter). When I put it all on paper I was real happy with the way it stacked up.

- kelson h

post #1016 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Considering all the capabilities the TiVo has, after I pulled the trigger and the sale was final I wondered why I waited so long. Especially when it was clear very early the Pal DVR was going to be problematic for a good while. Consider the $650 for a TiVo HD with lifetime subscription to be the price of 2 DVD recorders. For the time-shifter, you get 2 tuners in a single box, only 1 box to manage, records in hi-def, has an excellent guide and all the other features you won't find in a DVDR (or the Pal DVR for that matter). When I put it all on paper I was real happy with the way it stacked up.

I too looked hard at the dish DTVPal DVR but it has so many problems and the warranty is so short. I went with the Tivo HD and lifetime service - saved a bunch of money by buying one 6mos old and had the Lifetime service transferred to me. I never had Tivo before but I love it! I'm strictly OTA now and I am very impressed with the ATSC tuner.

I called TWC yesterday and turned off their digital cable. They pick up their DVR this Saturday. :-) I also love the Netflix integration. That is cool.
post #1017 of 4824 Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... all the other features you won't find in a DVDR (or the Pal DVR for that matter). When I put it all on paper I was real happy with the way it stacked up.

What clinched it for me was the broadband features. Amazon On Demand, Netflix (see Pogue's analysis in today's NYT), TiVo, YouTube, The Onion ... It's all good.

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #1018 of 4824 Old 01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I'm quite thrilled. I ordered the TiVo late Sunday night, which you might as well say it was Monday. It arrived on my doorstep today. I hope to have some time to set it up tonight or tomorrow but won't really get to play with it until Sat. Cool that I'll have it for the Superbowl.

- kelson h

post #1019 of 4824 Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Well I'm quite thrilled. I ordered the TiVo late Sunday night, which you might as well say it was Monday. It arrived on my doorstep today. I hope to have some time to set it up tonight or tomorrow but won't really get to play with it until Sat. Cool that I'll have it for the Superbowl.

Congrats and enjoy. IMO this is best device of it kind. The first generation Tivo's from 2000 are still better then any cable company DVR. And Tivo has only gotten better. Add in Netflix, and Youtube and this thing kicks A$$.
post #1020 of 4824 Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Apparently the TiVo wireless adapter I ordered will not be shipped until late next week. So, when I hooked everything up last night I plugged in a phone line and will use it that way until then. I have not plugged it in yet, it was enough work rearranging the rest of the components and getting all the wires connected. I plan on plugging it in and going through setup tonight.

My question: I'll be setting it up initially to work off the phone line. When the wireless adapter comes in, is it a fairly simple menu setting to convert from phoneline to broadband or will I have to go all through setup again.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page