Official AVS TiVo HD Topic! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 4820 Old 09-27-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you set up two season passes, one on the NTSC channel, and one on ATSC channel. And then manually select both shows to record in Season pass manager. By default since the two shows have identical description, Tivo treats them as repeat of each other, and will only record the one with high priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 4820 Old 09-27-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post

If you set up two season passes, one on the NTSC channel, and one on ATSC channel. And then manually select both shows to record in Season pass manager. By default since the two shows have identical description, Tivo treats them as repeat of each other, and will only record the one with high priority.

That's what it does by default.

If he wants to record the same program off two different channels simultaneously, he'll have to set the season pass to record duplicates.
post #123 of 4820 Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Thank you. Recording a show via NTSC and ATSC simultaneously sounds straightforward.

Is the NTSC performance of the HD known to be comparable to the Series 3?
post #124 of 4820 Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM

I have noticed on several shows this week that the playback is jittery. The best way to describe it is that it's like watching a show on the internet. The sound is fine, but the motion is jerky. A similar problem is when watching "Family Guy". Any straight lines flicker. This is hard to describe and quite hard to watch.

Is this a "feature" of the TiVo HD?
Is it happening because I'm watching while something is recording?
or is it the 500 gig upgrade drive being too slow?

Anyone else see similar phenomena?

- hastypete
support your local laserist, go see a laser show.
post #125 of 4820 Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastypete View Post

I have noticed on several shows this week that the playback is jittery. The best way to describe it is that it's like watching a show on the internet. The sound is fine, but the motion is jerky. A similar problem is when watching "Family Guy". Any straight lines flicker. This is hard to describe and quite hard to watch.

I believe this was an "artifact" that occurred in the 8.1 branch, which the TiVo HD is still running. I recall seeing something similar in my early days with my Series3, and not at all since the upgrade to 8.3.

I suspect once all the units get brought forward to 9.1 you'll see the problem go away. A bonus for you TiVoHD guys is that the 8.3 branch also brought forward a significant speed increase in the menus as well.
post #126 of 4820 Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've watched a lot of shows and there is no jerky motion nor any line flicker. My wife is very aware of digital problems and think the TivoHD looks great. It is possible that could be an interaction between the Tivo's scaler and your TVs. I'd suggest using the native option to see if that helps. If you're watching a cable station it could be something in the signal, and if it is OTA it could be a very slightly weak signal.
post #127 of 4820 Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is a rare bug that will cause jittery playback. I've had it happen once since I got the TivoHD in July. Go to Settings -> Reboot. That will eliminate the problem.

If it doesn't, then it could be something else, i.e. related to your new hard drive.
post #128 of 4820 Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the input!
I don't think it's low signal. Although I do have that problem occasionally, it is a pixellation thing, not a jitter thing.
I will try the reboot tonight to see if that fixes it. (Don't know why I didn't think of that!)
I was wondering if I should take this one back and go for a Series 3.
I've still got a couple weeks.
I've read on some forum that the TivoHD is actually faster hardware, so I guess it'll get better when they upgrade to next software version.
Overall I've been very satisfied with this unit, until this jitter problem. Even the slow menues weren't much of an issue.

- hastypete
support your local laserist, go see a laser show.
post #129 of 4820 Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can now put your TivoHD or S3 on the priority list for the new 9.1 software. This will get you that software within 48-72 hours (a week or two before most).

http://www.tivo.com/priority/
post #130 of 4820 Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the input!
I don't think it's low signal. Although I do have that problem occasionally, it is a pixellation thing, not a jitter thing.
I will try the reboot tonight to see if that fixes it. (Don't know why I didn't think of that!)
I was wondering if I should take this one back and go for a Series 3.
I've still got a couple weeks.
I've read on some forum that the TivoHD is actually faster hardware, so I guess it'll get better when they upgrade to next software version.
Overall I've been very satisfied with this unit, until this jitter problem. Even the slow menues weren't much of an issue.

No need to return the box just yet. Wait until you get the 9.1 update. Should the box still be acting flaky at that point, then you should consider a return or RMA.
post #131 of 4820 Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM

is there a way to force the Tivo screens to adopt the current channel's resolution? for example, if i'm on NBC at 1080i, and go to Season Pass options for a program, it switches to 720p, then back to 1080i after you exit out. it's just annoying, especially since my TV takes a while to respond to any resolution switch.
post #132 of 4820 Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch View Post

is there a way to force the Tivo screens to adopt the current channel's resolution? for example, if i'm on NBC at 1080i, and go to Season Pass options for a program, it switches to 720p, then back to 1080i after you exit out. it's just annoying, especially since my TV takes a while to respond to any resolution switch.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it all depends on what you have your video output format set to. If you have it set to "Native", then the Tivo screens (not the overlays) will always switch to 720p as that is their native resolution. To do what you want, you'd have to use one of the "Fixed" or "Hybrid" modes:

720p Fixed: All video output (SD & HD) is converted to 720p.
1080i Fixed: All video output (SD & HD) is converted to 1080i.
720p Hybrid: All HD content is converted to 720p; All SD content is converted to 480p.
1080i Hybrid: All HD content is converted to 1080i; All SD content is converted to 480p.
post #133 of 4820 Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a Tivo HD this week and have liked it. TW Charlotte brought two cc's and I can see that the Tivo box gives a slightly better picture than the SA 8300 DVR box I'm renting. Overall I like Tivo better than the TW box and it's buggy software. Unfortunately I've run into a deal breaker... the new TBS-HD channel added this week is TW's first SDV channel in Charlotte and I can't get it. The bad news for me is that any and all of the new HD channels that TW adds will be on SDV and I would be locked out of those using the Tivo.

Too bad as I like the Tivo experience over the crappy TW boxes. I'm going to return mine but will gladly jump in the future when Tivo works out the dongle thing that will allow for tuning of SDV channels.
post #134 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Same deal as with the S3:

http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-promo/show...etransfer.html

The old lifetime Tivo has to be activated before 10/1/2003
The new Tivo HD has to be purchased from Tivo for $299,between now and 11/8/2007
The old Tivo will remain in service for 1 year for free
post #135 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

Got a Tivo HD this week and have liked it. TW Charlotte brought two cc's and I can see that the Tivo box gives a slightly better picture than the SA 8300 DVR box I'm renting. Overall I like Tivo better than the TW box and it's buggy software. Unfortunately I've run into a deal breaker... the new TBS-HD channel added this week is TW's first SDV channel in Charlotte and I can't get it. The bad news for me is that any and all of the new HD channels that TW adds will be on SDV and I would be locked out of those using the Tivo.

Too bad as I like the Tivo experience over the crappy TW boxes. I'm going to return mine but will gladly jump in the future when Tivo works out the dongle thing that will allow for tuning of SDV channels.

Before you return it, just call TW and say you need another HD box to do PPV and VOD, and see if they would give you one for free. Comcast has a policy (at least on their corporate website) that says if you only have cable card equipment, they would provide a box for free on your main TV.
post #136 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hello. New TiVo HD owner here (and new to TiVo in general). Just got it connected and activated. I've been scouring and reading everything I can. If I understand correctly, the only way to get content off the box is through the TiVo To Go (TTG) software, which isn't currently supported on the HD and S3. Is that right? I could use the record to VCR feature to record to a VCR or DVD recorder in real time, but I don't have either piece of equipment. I have my TiVo connected to my home network (ethernet) and my home network is connected to the Internet (3MB DSL). Is there anyway to share recorded content or get it to a PC or Mac? (Over the air broadcast HD TV shows only, no cable connection).

I've joined tivocommunity.com, any other good resources to join?

Thanks!

=== Tim
post #137 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

Hello. New TiVo HD owner here (and new to TiVo in general). Just got it connected and activated. I've been scouring and reading everything I can. If I understand correctly, the only way to get content off the box is through the TiVo To Go (TTG) software, which isn't currently supported on the HD and S3. Is that right?

Right. Tivo announced last month that TTG and MRV will be enabled in November.

Assuming TTG works on the Series3 and TivoHD like it does on the Series2, you'll be able to transfer files using Tivo Desktop for Windows (free), Toast for OSX, and the web browser of your choice.

With a web browser, you'll login to your tivo at https://yourtivoip/ where you'll see a web version of your Now Playing list. You just click on the recordings you want to download to your PC or Mac. Very simple.
post #138 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Right. Tivo announced last month that TTG and MRV will be enabled in November.

Assuming TTG works on the Series3 and TivoHD like it does on the Series2, you'll be able to transfer files using Tivo Desktop for Windows (free), Toast for OSX, and the web browser of your choice.

With a web browser, you'll login to your tivo at https://yourtivoip/ where you'll see a web version of your Now Playing list. You just click on the recordings you want to download to your PC or Mac. Very simple.

Web browser. That's pretty cool. Is that how MRV (Multiroom Viewing) works? For grins, I tried the web browser connection now and got 403 Forbidden, which I guess is to be expected.

Is there word if the Nov update will allow transfer of HD content? Then, which tools will be able to "deal" with the HD .tivo content? Now that I understand a few more acronyms, time to dig and learn some more. Thanks!
post #139 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Web browser. That's pretty cool. Is that how MRV (Multiroom Viewing) works? For grins, I tried the web browser connection now and got 403 Forbidden, which I guess is to be expected.

Multiroom viewing (MRV) is a feature for transferring recordings between Tivos. For example, if the Tivo in your living room is named "Living Room" and the Tivo in you bedroom is called "Bedroom," you would see a "Living Room" folder on your bedroom Tivo and a "Bedroom" folder on your living room Tivo. In that folder you'll see a list of recordings stored on that DVR -- you click to transfer and view.

As far as PC/Mac viewing, TTG is used for that. With the Tivo Desktop software (free), you don't have to wait until the transfer is finished to start viewing. However, at this time, we don't know how fast TTG will be on the Series3 and TivoHD, so we don't know whether real-time viewing of HD recordings will be possible on a PC/Mac.

Quote:

Is there word if the Nov update will allow transfer of HD content? Then, which tools will be able to "deal" with the HD .tivo content? Now that I understand a few more acronyms, time to dig and learn some more. Thanks!

Yes, full high-definition transfers are supported. However, there is a limitation. You cannot transfer copy protected content, i.e. content flagged with a CCI value of 1 or 2.

If you click on a Tivo recording on the Now Playing list, and hit the INFO button, it will tell you whether the content is copy protected or not. If you don't see a message about copy protection on the Info screen, then the recording is not copy protected. Cable providers are not allowed to copy-protect local channels, but they can copy-protect cable channels. Some cable providers copy-protect all digital channels except locals, some copy-protect only the premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc), and still others copy-protect nothing at all.

The .Tivo file is a MPG in an encrypted wrapper. Roxio CD Creator will automatically create DVDs from .Tivo files. There are also a few tools that will take a .Tivo file and save it as a MPG or TS file. For example, VideoRedo will accept a Tivo file, automatically remove all commercials, and save it as a MPG or TS. Obviously, we don't yet know how these programs will work with .Tivo files from the Series3 and TivoHD, but they work great with the .Tivo files from the Series2; presumably they will work with files from the Series3 and TivoHD as well.

Once you've got the commercial-free, high-definition MPG, you should be able to use a program like Ulead DVD MovieFactory6 Plus to create your own HD-DVD or Blu-ray compatible disks using cheap DVD media. These would play in full high-definition on your HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray player.

The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring
My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences...
post #140 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

For example, if the Tivo in your living room is named "Living Room" and the Tivo in you bedroom is called "Bedroom," you would see a "Living Room" folder on your bedroom Tivo and a "Bedroom" folder on your living room Tivo. In that folder you'll see a list of recordings stored on that DVR -- you click to transfer and view.

Does this feature transfer the file first to another Tivo and then allow for playback? Meaning does the entire file have to transfer before playback can begin?

I ask because I have networked DVD recorders. I can move content from one DVD recorder to another via ethernet but the entire file must transfer before it can be played.
post #141 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Does this feature transfer the file first to another Tivo and then allow for playback? Meaning does the entire file have to transfer before playback can begin?

Assuming it works like the Series2, MRV will play during the transfers. You don't have to wait.

With MRV, you can also start watching the program in one room and then resume it in another. When you resume a paused recording in another room, Tivo starts the transfer from the point where you paused.

Of course, we don't know what the MRV throughput on the Series3 and TivoHD will be. We don't know if recordings will transfer fast enough to allow for viewing of all high-def in realtime, or whether you'll have to wait a bit before you can watch from start to finish without interruption.
post #142 of 4820 Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of how HD is handled it is a great feature for SD.
post #143 of 4820 Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Is there any sort of zoom function built in to the TivoHD? It looks to come with a standard S2 remote so I am guessing not. Any added capabilities with the S3 remote?

(I am not really happy with the zoom capabilities of my TV and would, in any event, prefer to need only the Tivo rmote).
post #144 of 4820 Old 10-14-2007, 01:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post

Is there any sort of zoom function built in to the TivoHD? It looks to come with a standard S2 remote so I am guessing not. Any added capabilities with the S3 remote?

(I am not really happy with the zoom capabilities of my TV and would, in any event, prefer to need only the Tivo rmote).

Yes.

On the HD Tivo remotes, the "Stdby" button is renamed "Aspect." This "Aspect" button toggles between sidebars, stretch, and zoom.
post #145 of 4820 Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 AM

New Tivo HD owner here too.. Got it from Amazon for 250 bucks, plunked down 300 bucks for the 3 year sub.

Was pretty disappointed for the first day or so because it was very sluggish. But after getting "broken into" (indexing or whatever), it's now reasonably responsive.

It came with 8.1 firmware which might be part of the problem?? I got on the priority list for 9.1 http://www.tivo.com/priority/ and got the firmware downloaded after 3 days. Seems better now.
post #146 of 4820 Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post

New Tivo HD owner here too.. Got it from Amazon for 250 bucks, plunked down 300 bucks for the 3 year sub.

Was pretty disappointed for the first day or so because it was very sluggish. But after getting "broken into" (indexing or whatever), it's now reasonably responsive.

It came with 8.1 firmware which might be part of the problem?? I got on the priority list for 9.1 http://www.tivo.com/priority/ and got the firmware downloaded after 3 days. Seems better now.

Yes. 8.1 was pretty slow, with 9.1 and 8.3 menus being much faster to navigate.
post #147 of 4820 Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like Tivo just released the 9.2 update, which addresses some issues and improves performance.
post #148 of 4820 Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm new to the whole Tivo thing... but I presently use a TWC 8300HD DVR. I was wondering just how far the box operates without a subscription. I assume it turns on, but can it change channels, record HD material, etc. w/o a subscription? Or is just the guide and guide-based scheduled recordings features you are paying for?

Apologizes in advance if this topic has been already been covered.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #149 of 4820 Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
All but the oldest TiVos (and all the TiVo S3s and TiVo HDs) require subscription to do anything significant, like set up a recording.
post #150 of 4820 Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

All but the oldest TiVos (and all the TiVo S3s and TiVo HDs) require subscription to do anything significant, like set up a recording.

Can you set up a manual recording to take place on channel x, next Saturday at 6:00pm - presumming you don't have a subscription and therefore not using Tivo's schedule guide? Do you get all available cable channels(including HD) and can you record current program? Thanks...

In a worse case scenario could you use just like a dumb cable STB?

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page