post #181 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I was looking at that and if I do that, that would put the total cost near $1k which is too much right now.

The TivoHD is $250 from Amazon.com, so that's $550 for three years or $850 for six years. Figure another $150-$200 for a 500Gb eSATA drive upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

While Unbox does offer widescreen downloads to PCs, it does not offer widescreen downloads to TiVo.

I just watched Eureka from Unbox in widescreen just last week.
You just have to push the "aspect" button to remove the black frame.

It is not HD resolution, but the quality is better than SD.

- hastypete
support your local laserist, go see a laser show.
post #183 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The TivoHD is $250 from Amazon.com, so that's $550 for three years or $850 for six years. Figure another $150-$200 for a 500Gb eSATA drive upgrade.

I was looking at the Series3.
post #184 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Last month I nearly bought a Series3 and it was only $100 more than the TivoHD if I bought it at Circuit City or Amazon. I believe there is a $200 rebate from Tivo on the Series 3. I decided on the TivoHD because it is has slightly better specs (except for the Hard Drive).
post #185 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's currently $350 at Amazon.
post #186 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

It's currently $350 at Amazon.

True but that's after rebate, I'm still putting out the $550 to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Last month I nearly bought a Series3 and it was only $100 more than the TivoHD if I bought it at Circuit City or Amazon. I believe there is a $200 rebate from Tivo on the Series 3. I decided on the TivoHD because it is has slightly better specs (except for the Hard Drive).

I thought the HDD was the only difference?
post #187 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

MRV for TiVo S3 and TiVo HD will be available sometime in November. What are you expecting with regard to TTG?

I want to transfer some programs from the TiVo to my PC, so I can burn into DVD.

I'm still very new to TiVo, so please excuse this newbie question. But besides the 30s trick, there's no time skipping functionality on TiVo box at all? We must use the fast forward button all the time?
post #188 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastypete View Post

I just watched Eureka from Unbox in widescreen just last week. You just have to push the "aspect" button to remove the black frame.

That's just zooming (i.e., stretching) the picture, which is fine, but it seemed to me when I tried that it didn't frame it quite right (i.e., cut-off a bit).
post #189 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True but that's after rebate, I'm still putting out the $550 to start.

That's splitting hairs. In the end, you're gonna be paying $350 + shipping for the unit.

Quote:

I thought the HDD was the only difference?

Nope. S3 has a bigger hard drive (250GB vs. 160GB), backlit remote and the really slick piano black finish. THD gets M-Card support out of the gate, whereas this is still up in the air for the S3. Unsure as to any eSATA differences (if any) since the 9.2 software is just rolling out now.
post #190 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I want to transfer some programs from the TiVo to my PC, so I can burn into DVD.

With SD there shouldn't be any problem. TiVoPony has said that the TiVo will prevent MRV/xfer to PC with HD if there is ANY copy protection on the program whatsoever. If that restriction doesn't apply, I'm not sure how TiVo Desktop will deal with burning HD to DVD. I'll have to try it and let you know, once MRV is enabled.

Quote:

I'm still very new to TiVo, so please excuse this newbie question. But besides the 30s trick, there's no time skipping functionality on TiVo box at all? We must use the fast forward button all the time?

There is no "skip to a specific time". There is Skip to Tick, which is the DEFAULT functionality, which the 30 Second Skip partially overrides. That'll allow you to skip to the beginning of a specific 15 minute period in the program. Combined with super-fast fast-forward, I can get anywhere in a six hour recording in less than 30 seconds... probably a lot less.
post #191 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another option available to you is the "skip to tick" feature. When you're playing back a recording, you can hit the skip button, and it will advance you to the next 15minute interval tick in the green playback bar at the bottom of the screen. So, if you're at 07min11sec and hit the skip button, you'll immediately be brought forward to 15min00sec.
post #192 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Does Tivo2Go work with the Zune?
post #193 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:

That's just zooming (i.e., stretching) the picture, which is fine, but it seemed to me when I tried that it didn't frame it quite right (i.e., cut-off a bit).

Ah, this is true. I see what you mean by it's not in "widescreen"
the video itself is in SD format, but with black bars on top and bottom.
Unless there is a "native" mode on your TV, it is always cutting off the edges. In "native" mode you quite often get a color line on one edge or another. The actual lost screen space is negligeble anyway.

- hastypete
post #194 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Another option available to you is the "skip to tick" feature. When you're playing back a recording, you can hit the skip button, and it will advance you to the next 15minute interval tick in the green playback bar at the bottom of the screen. So, if you're at 07min11sec and hit the skip button, you'll immediately be brought forward to 15min00sec.

Question: if you accidentally skip to tick, is there a quick way to skip back to the previous tick? It's a pain in the butt to go back by scanning back.

- hastypete
post #195 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question: if you accidentally skip to tick, is there a quick way to skip back to the previous tick? It's a pain in the butt to go back by scanning back.

It works both ways, forwards and backwards. Hit FastFwd and then skip to go to the next 15min tick mark. Hit FastRev and skip to go to the previous 15min tick mark.
post #196 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:

It works both ways, forwards and backwards. Hit FastFwd and then skip to go to the next 15min tick mark. Hit FastRev and skip to go to the previous 15min tick mark.

that's what I've read.

I've got 30 second skip enabled.
the ffw/skip works fine.

but it doesn't seem to work with frev skip. at least not when I've tried.

OH!, I wonder if I was pressing frev/replay. doh! I'll try it with frev/skip tonight

thanks.

- hastypete
post #197 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

...As far as a "superior" experience with OTA. that is obviously a subjective description. It is superior for me. Maybe not you. I get great HD and am thrilled with my new HDTV. I could not get OTA before digital that was watchable. Now I get better picture than I did with Dish without having to pay them every month....

I was referring to the increased selection and diverse HD programming available on Sat/Cable - not necessarily the image quality. I have/use both OTA and cable HD signals. I agree the whole topic is subjective and we all have our limits as to what we believe is a fair price for service or entertainment delivered - whatever the medium. I just figured that anyone buying a TivoHD has more of an interest in recording in 'HD' rather then 'Tivo' functionality. I just can't see limiting ones HD programming to OTA signals. Otherwise, there is much cheaper Tivo hardware.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #198 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

those of you using the amazon unboxed tivo downloads... how is the quality? are the tv shows in hd if originally broadcast that way? what about movies? dvd quality? more? less?

thanks

I don't think anything is in HD. However I was impressed with the image on the TV pilots (DVD quality) even thought they were letterboxed on all four sides. I rented one of Amazon's movie rentals (Disturbia - $.99) and I wasn't impressed at all. The movie was also letterboxed on all sides.
post #199 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I don't think anything is in HD. However I was impressed with the image on the TV pilots (DVD quality) even thought they were letterboxed on all four sides. I rented one of Amazon's movie rentals (Disturbia - $.99) and I wasn't impressed at all. The movie was also letterboxed on all sides.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I've downloaded some of the free unboxed things and I'll see how they look. I think the unboxed stuff will be relegated to last minute watching when I don't want to run out to the movie rental store.
post #200 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post

For the HD, would Tivo Desktop 2.3 work on a 2000 pro machine? (for sharing pictures and mp3s) And is it anywhere still available for download? (Looks like 2.4+ don't work on Windows 2000.)
Thank you.

Never mind. Finally found one for download and I can confirm that TiVo HD works with Desktop 2.3a on a Windows 2000 Pro (tested pics and mp3s so far). But tivo.com should offer it for download - at least as long as Microsoft supports this OS...
post #201 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I've downloaded some of the free unboxed things and I'll see how they look. I think the unboxed stuff will be relegated to last minute watching when I don't want to run out to the movie rental store.

It's also great if you miss a recording of an episode.

- hastypete
post #202 of 4820 Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's also great if you miss a recording of an episode.

Right. But, with so many episodes now available online from the broadcasters website... :-) Of course, that doesn't get it on the big screen, but it's free and great quality.
post #203 of 4820 Old 10-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

OK, neither device supports on demand, SDV, TiVo to go, multi room viewing, eSATA or IEEE 1394 connectivity.

TivotoGo and MultiRoom Viewing are coming in November. eSata support is now official, although it has worked for four or five months now unofficially.
post #204 of 4820 Old 10-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

I'm curious though, other than a slick interface the more I read about HD TiVo's the less it seems there is to differentiate it from an 8300HDC, so why the fascination with this product?

I posted this on the Tivo Series 3 thread the specific advantages of the Tivo vs. the 8300HD, both of which I have used for years. I'll repost that here for your convenience (and at no charge .

The interface IS much better. So is everything else.

1) Season Passes. The 8300 HD of course lets you set recurring recordings, but you can't prioritize them like you can with TIVO. With TIVO, your higher preference recordings will get recorded in the case of conflicts.

2) Wishlists. TIVO will let you set Wishlists, like "Sitcoms" or "Scarlett Johansson", or "Atlanta Braves", and then you can peruse these as you like to see upcoming programs. You can even set Auto-Recording Wishlists, and your Wishlist items will record automatically. For example, I love poker, so I set up a Wishlist for "Poker", and TIVO will record any program it finds with poker somewhere in the description. Try THAT with the SA8300HD.

3) TIVO suggestions. TIVO will eventually catch on to the kind of stuff you like and start recording stuff for you. I love coming home and finding stuff TIVO has recorded for me. Sometimes I discover great shows this way. TIVO handles these shows intelligently (they never bump recordings you have setup, and get deleted if the drive gets full). Nothing even remotely like this on the 8300HD.

4) Recently Deleted Folder. This is entirely missing from the SA8300HD, if I recall. If you delete something and later wish you had not, you can retrieve your show. These shows get permantly deleted first, when the hard drive gets full.

5) 30 second skip. I love this button. Not officially supported, but works great. Not available on the SA8300HD.

6) Better video and audio quality.

7) It is a music and photo media server, meaning I can listen to my computer's MP3's and look at my photos using the TIVO. The 8300HD? Nope.

8) Podcasts. I can subscribe to any Podcast I choose using the TIVO and listen to them at my leisure. You guessed it - not available on the 8300HD.

9) TIVO remembers where I was when I stop watching a show. In fact, I can have multiple shows already started watching, and TIVO remembers where I left off with each of them. Like bookmarks, really. The 8300HD cannot do this.

10) Universal Swivel Search. This is very new, but I love it already. It lets you easily find shows similar to the one you are studying, and lets you link easily to other shows your favorite actors are in. I'm not doing this feature justice. You really have to see it in action. It's like having a direct link to an Imdb-type database.

11) The peanut remote is a thing of beauty. The keys are nicely backlit, with the words on the keys. There is a nice ribbing on the bottom so you easily tell which way is up in the dark. There is an aspect ration button. And most importantly, it is a learning remote, which means you can control your other devices. In fact, you can teach it some functions from the TIVO menu. Doing this alone I was able to control my TV's on/off, my stereo's volume, and the TIVO, of course.

12) Weather and traffic updates. No such thing on the SA8300HD.

13) TIVOcasts, which are video podcasts. Not a lot of content yet, but I love CNET and The Onion. They keep adding new TIVOcasts. MIA on the 8300HD.

14) Search by Title is MUCH better on the TIVO. IIRC, on the 8300HD you could only search by title on one specific day at a time. The TIVO will let you search your entire lineup for the next two weeks. Also, you can filter your search, or your guides, for that matter, by HD shows only.

15) Two weeks of guide data instead of one.

16) My 8300HD occassionally would not record something. When it did this, it would offer no explanation. TIVO has a handy recording history that explains why a certain show may not have recorded.

17) Show padding. TIVO will prompt you to pad live shows by minutes or even hours so you don't miss that last hour of the Academy Awards.

18) Intelligent conflict resolution. If, because of show overruns, a conflict occurs, TIVO will shave a few minutes off your lower priority show. Example (Dual Tuners assumed): Show A runs from 8:00-9:00. Shows B and C run from 9:00 to 10:00. If Show A ends up running until 9:02, most DVR's (including the TIVO of yore), will actually not record either show B or C in their entirety. The new TIVO will make a decision based on your shows' priorities, and will shave minutes off the lowest priority show. For example, if Show A is the lowest priority, it will cut off the last two minutes, and record B & C in their entirety. If Show B is the lowest priority, it will clip the first two minutes of it to catch all of Shows A and C. But you'll still get 58 minutes of Show B.

Whew! Sorry to get so long-winded. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a Tivangelist. But having had both TIVO and SA8300HD for years, I'm in a position to have studied both pretty in-depth.

So, I hope I have shown that TIVO is not just "a prettier interface".
post #205 of 4820 Old 10-20-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It really comes down to opportunity cost.
Money vs. Diverse programming.
I have discovered that the programming that I've sacrificed from Sat/Cable is not missed. not worth the price of admission. Seriously it would cost me $50/month for less than 10 hours of watched programming.
In some cases, more choices is not better. It is fine to pay higher prices for more diverse programming, but it's not necessary. There's nothing to be confused about.
t my opinion. The masses will surely give their money to the big companies regardless of what I do or say.

I agree with the OTA comment. Especially if you like public television, there are many good shows on. I also notice the networks are dirtier and more violent and bloody then cable is now. Apparently cable toned down while networks went towards the edge to compete.

As far as cable - cable and satellite hd are so compresed they really look like s*** compared to OTA.

Personally I could live with only a few cable channels
Discovery
TLC
Food
Spike
History

There used to be a day when MYV and VH1 were "must haves". Now they are offensive garbage top to bottom.

"Thank you" to the forum members who tirelessly help the new members of this fraternity we call Home Theater.
post #206 of 4820 Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Right now they are offering a lifetime transfer of service with a free year on the previous unit for $199 - this has made my decision easy.

\\Keep messing around with Beyond tv, cables, software and pcs or get an HD Tivo? Tivo it is.

"Thank you" to the forum members who tirelessly help the new members of this fraternity we call Home Theater.
post #207 of 4820 Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecazzx View Post

Personally I could live with only a few cable channels
Discovery
TLC
Food
Spike
History

Yes, if I could get a few channels like these ala cart, I'd be on board with Cable. But they are never going to do that while the masses fall like lemmings over a cliff to send their money every month.

- hastypete
post #208 of 4820 Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 AM

I got a quick question. If I use this Tivo HD to record only over the air shows would I still have to pay a monthly fee? And i've heard that some people can not record OTA shows from NBC and CSB?

Blu-Rays: 11

Playstation 3 games: 1
post #209 of 4820 Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 AM

Yes, the TiVo HD boxes are subscription boxes. You can play back without subscription but not schedule recordings.

I can record OTA for all networks, except Fox. That has nothing to do with the TiVo, but the local Fox station is operating at low-power, so even 14 miles from the antenna, I cannot get reliable reception.
post #210 of 4820 Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DOHC-
I avoided Tivo for years and years because I refused to pay a monthly fee. I thought OTA TV should be free, and I'd be damned before I paid 'just to get a TV guide'. Boy, was I wrong. I've used many other set top boxes and the $100 a year for the subscription is worth every penny. I'm a stubborn, cheap b*st*rd, but after 2 months of using it, I have to admit the TivoHD is the best thing I've ever bought for HDTV.

bicker1-
I'm surprised you cannot get channel 25 OTA. It must be more than just Fox 25-1 being low power. I live further from the tower, and it usually comes in fine. I happen to live on top of a hill and there is mostly ocean between me and Boston. Fox's signal strength is the lowest of the major networks, but it still falls within the 'normal' range.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page