Quick Summary? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-29-2001, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it still the case that in order to time shift HDTV there is really NO good solution?

There are no DBS or cable boxes (in my area Comcast is using the Motorola HD 200, which has component output only) on the market that have firewire output, and the Sony 34XBR2 does not output to its firewire from its integrated tuner, so the new firewire input recorders have no good source.

HTPCs with a HiPix or AccessDTV card are still buggy, noisy and cannot connect to the output of a cable box.

What am I missing? Unless I'm willing to watch in realtime, no HDTV for me?

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-30-2001, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally posted by CKarras
There are no DBS or cable boxes (in my area Comcast is using the Motorola HD 200, which has component output only) on the market that have firewire output, and the Sony 34XBR2 does not output to its firewire from its integrated tuner, so the new firewire input recorders have no good source.
There are cable boxes on the market with Firewire output, just, as you say, not in use in your cable system. Sony's box being deployed by Cablevision in the NYC area has it, as do all the recent digital Scientific Atlanta boxes (though I think the SOs have to order the connectors wired up as an option). We're not sure whether the tuner in Mitsubishi's 2002 Integrated sets can be used yet; I'm hoping that they can, since Mitsubishi is offering an HD VCR with no other HD input or output, no tuner and no MPEG decoder.

There may well be no good recording solution for you in your situation, but it's probably not true that there's no good solution at all.

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3 of 3 Old 10-31-2001, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike-

Fair enough. Perhaps Motorola will produce a new version of the HDD 200HD decoder that will also have a firewire output....

-Chris
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page