Dish Network 722 - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 261 Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
on the 622 on tv2 if you press the format button it toggles between normal and letterbox, both of which is set up for the 4:3 ratio television. so no that's not what i want. i want tv2 to be set up like tv1 for 16:9 programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiRo View Post

on the 622 on tv2 if you press the format button it toggles between normal and letterbox, both of which is set up for the 4:3 ratio television. so no that's not what i want. i want tv2 to be set up like tv1 for 16:9 programming.

I have the 622 also and have not found a solution either. Very annoying to say the least. I bug Dish every once in awhile about it hoping they will eventually change this in a firmware update.
post #243 of 261 Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM

i called them about it and they didn't seem to understand the big deal. how hard could it be, tv1 does it .... so why not let tv2 do it.
post #244 of 261 Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am not sure what you expect Dish to do. TV2 outputs NTSC which has a 4:3 aspect ratio. There is nothing that can be done to make it 16:9.

Ted
post #245 of 261 Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 AM

If tv2 is being output on NTSC is tv1 being output on the new system, ATSC?
post #246 of 261 Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I believe that tv1 can be set up to output either ATSC(16:9) or NTSC(4:3) but tv2 is NTSC only. If you have more than 1 16:9 television your best bet would be to get another box to feed the second TV.

post #247 of 261 Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

If tv2 is being output on NTSC is tv1 being output on the new system, ATSC?

The 722 doesn't output ATSC signals, period. Due to the cost and complexity of generating an ATSC signal, there is no consumer equipment available that can do it, so far as I have heard. There is a box that can produce a QAM signal, but even that costs $500.

Esoteric fact: an early Dish network HD receiver (6000?) had ATSC output. But it already had an mpeg-2 HD (or SD) data stream to deal with, so it was merely a case of formatting the data stream correctly and modulating it 8VSB. No current Dish network receiver can do that since all Dish HD these days is MPEG-4. Plus I am sure content providers were all soiling themselves over the lack of DRM on that 6000...
post #248 of 261 Old 10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

I am not sure what you expect Dish to do. TV2 outputs NTSC which has a 4:3 aspect ratio. There is nothing that can be done to make it 16:9.

Huh? What do you think most all DVD's have?

What I would hope Dish would do is add an anamorphic widescreen zoom mode to their TV2 output. I haven't played with the TV2 output on a widescreen TV, but it seems to me that's an important missing feature.
post #249 of 261 Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That statement bothers me. Let's recall what's going on here. Your 622 has an HDMI digital output. That is the only output with any way for the receiver to "talk" to the TV and tell it what the aspect ratio is. For all the other outputs, regardless of whether it's TV1 or TV2, you are viewing an analog signal where you have to tell the TV manually what the aspect ratio of your video is. This task is particularly odious if the channel you're watching doesn't stick to one aspect ratio or the other! Ugh.

Anyhow, what do you mean by "normal"? I know what "letterbox" means. If you're on an HD channel broadcasting a widescreen program, I hope that "normal" fills the screen vertically. But you are saying it's still 4:3, i.e. black bars on left and right? This is sometimes called "pillarboxed". The only question is whether your TV is inserting the pillars, or rather the 622 is doing this stupid thing. There is a menu item for TV1 aspect ratio on my 722, but I don't remember seeing any way to set TV2 to widescreen. If the 622 is inserting the pillars, then we're screwed and await a firmware update to fix it.
post #250 of 261 Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That is correct, there is NO aspect ratio adjustment for tv2. It outputs a 4:3 image only.

post #251 of 261 Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm having ir problems. The same problems that I see a few of you are having. Has anyone come up with a fix yet.
post #252 of 261 Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Ok I have found a solution to the problem that many people have been having with the remotes not working correctly unless the remote was right on the ir sensor. I have a ceiling fan with 4 halogen bulbs in it, and when I turn the lights off the remotes (my dish ir remote & my Hamrnony remote) work just fine, when i turn the lights on the 722 does not receive the remote commands.

Please someone pass this info on to others who this may help. I just had Dish Network swap out my 722k thinking that it was a hardware issue with my old 722k, but wow its just my stinkin lights. I'll post again when I put different types of bulbs in.
post #253 of 261 Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Ok I have found a solution to the problem that many people have been having with the remotes not working correctly unless the remote was right on the ir sensor. I have a ceiling fan with 4 halogen bulbs in it, and when I turn the lights off the remotes (my dish ir remote & my Hamrnony remote) work just fine, when i turn the lights on the 722 does not receive the remote commands. The halogen bulbs are interfering with the signal.

Please pass this info on to others who this may help. I just had Dish Network swap out my 722k thinking that it was a hardware issue with my old 722k, but wow its just my stinkin lights. I'll post again when I put different types of bulbs in.
post #254 of 261 Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Ok I have found a solution to the problem that many people have been having with the remotes not working correctly unless the remote was right on the ir sensor. I have a ceiling fan with 4 halogen bulbs in it, and when I turn the lights off the remotes (my dish ir remote & my Hamrnony remote) work just fine, when i turn the lights on the 722 does not receive the remote commands.

Please someone pass this info on to others who this may help. I just had Dish Network swap out my 722k thinking that it was a hardware issue with my old 722k, but wow its just my stinkin lights. I'll post again when I put different types of bulbs in.
post #255 of 261 Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
When watching a widescreen HD program, hitting the '*' button on TV2 switches between letterboxed widescreen and center cut. If your TV2 is a widescreen TV you could set it to zoom mode to have the letterboxed widescreen fill the screen perfectly. I have done this. Of course the picture on the TV2 HDTV is SD.

Rick R
post #256 of 261 Old 01-29-2010, 04:48 PM

On the 722k, if you put the receiver into "Single" mode, TV2 receives an Anamorphic picture. Simply set your TV2 to "Wide" mode (horizontal stretch) and Bob's your uncle. In "Dual" mode, this does not seem to be an option.

-matt
post #257 of 261 Old 02-15-2010, 07:24 PM

hi guys, great forum

i have a magnavox dvd recorder, and it is hooked up using rca , when i record something, it comes out all squished towards the center...is there a way to hook it up and not have this problem?
post #258 of 261 Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, I'm looking to switch to Dish Network and have a few questions about installation:

1. does the 722 require two separate coax runs for the dual tuners, or can the 722 use my existing single coax cable?

2. How does the second TV get it's signal? Do they have to run an additional coax out to TV2, or is a single cable capable of distributing the signal back out to through my existing wiring to my second SD TV?

3. If TV2 uses the existing coax, would I be able to access the TV2 signal on any TV connected to the home's coax from multiple rooms?

Obviously my concern is having to run extra cables, and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Ideally, I would like to use one receiver to have a primary HD feed and then be able to access the TV2 feed from 2-3 other TVs located throughout the house. I understand that my other SD TVs would only be able to watch the same program and I'd probably want to buy an additional RF remote in this scenario, but is that possible?
post #259 of 261 Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwingken@yah View Post

hi guys, great forum

i have a magnavox dvd recorder, and it is hooked up using rca , when i record something, it comes out all squished towards the center...is there a way to hook it up and not have this problem?

Use the "*" button on the remote.

Personally use the s-video outputs. I also use the squished mode (anamorphic video) to record widescreen. Then on DVD playback I use the anamorphic stretch to display the near commercial quality DVD in widescreen.

Rick R
post #260 of 261 Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnmb View Post

Hi, I'm looking to switch to Dish Network and have a few questions about installation:

1. does the 722 require two separate coax runs for the dual tuners, or can the 722 use my existing single coax cable?

2. How does the second TV get it's signal? Do they have to run an additional coax out to TV2, or is a single cable capable of distributing the signal back out to through my existing wiring to my second SD TV?

3. If TV2 uses the existing coax, would I be able to access the TV2 signal on any TV connected to the home's coax from multiple rooms?

Obviously my concern is having to run extra cables, and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Ideally, I would like to use one receiver to have a primary HD feed and then be able to access the TV2 feed from 2-3 other TVs located throughout the house. I understand that my other SD TVs would only be able to watch the same program and I'd probably want to buy an additional RF remote in this scenario, but is that possible?

1. Only needs one. On installation they put a diplexer right before the 722.

2. They can put it on the one coax.

3. I believe you can split it out to multiple rooms.

In addition, my TV2 is so far from the DVR they remoted the antenna for the remote control. This allows the remote control to work fine near TV2.

Rick R
post #261 of 261 Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

Use the "*" button on the remote.

Personally use the s-video outputs. I also use the squished mode (anamorphic video) to record widescreen. Then on DVD playback I use the anamorphic stretch to display the near commercial quality DVD in widescreen.

Rick R

ok I am using a 722K, from what i can see, there is no s-video port going out of the reciever, only the hdmi and the 1 set of Component (Y P
r Pb) video outputs.

I believe i read if i used s-video, that would take care of my "squishing" problem.

I am recording on a magnavox dvr. I am using the component wire for hook up to the stand alone dvr

would there be a way of getting an adapter for the component to s-video and would that work?
Is there anyone that can help me?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page