Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 2061 Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just started researching the HD DVRs/STBs, and I am definitely a novice. I have Charter bringing out a DCT6412 next week; so the question is, which one is the best? I have read the Charter and Motorola literature; from what I read the DCT6412 has both HD record and HD playback, which none of the others stated. (Of course, according to the 4 different Charter CSRs I spoke with, none of the Motorola DVRs have an HDMI cable hook-up either.)

This is what I am looking for:
1) Motorola HD DVR
2) Largest hard drive/memory
3) HD record (I guess programming the correct HD channel may be an issue)
4) True HD playback
5) Something that will work/connect with my current Toshiba HDD/DVD DVR
(I know, this is probably wishful thinking)

I too have read this entire post from page 1 to here...I agree with previous poster this thread is an HD DVR goldmine! Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Current Info:
Sony HD TV (rear projection LCD) model KDF-60WF655
Charter Communications Service-Metro Atlanta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2061 Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A relative of mine has a 3412, and while ago one tuner started showing 'To Be Announced' just on one tuner. (It is annoying pressing info., 1/2 time there is TBA, then one has to press Guide, and then Info. again.)

I remember unplugging the DVR, and re-initializing the DVR twice for them; after one or both re-init. the one tuner was supplying info, but only for about a day, then back to TBA. Would re-formating, then re-init. have a good chance of solving it? Or do they need a new DVR.

While they want to fix this, they really don't want to lose all saved programs for nothing. Also, replacing the DVR would be problematic, as the relative is quite ill, and relies on the DVR to watch TV.
post #333 of 2061 Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutinHD View Post

I have just started researching the HD DVRs/STBs, and I am definitely a novice. I have Charter bringing out a DCT6412 next week; so the question is, which one is the best? I have read the Charter and Motorola literature; from what I read the DCT6412 has both HD record and HD playback, which none of the others stated. (Of course, according to the 4 different Charter CSRs I spoke with, none of the Motorola DVRs have an HDMI cable hook-up either.)

1) Motorola HD DVR
4) True HD playback

It depends on which ones they carry, DCT 6412 is actually a pretty old model. The newer models (if they use ADS) would be DCT3412, DCT3416 or DCH3416. If they don't have ADS they may just be using the DCT & DCH series 6412 or 6416's. The xx16's are the larger harddrive xx12=120gb & xx16=160gb.
If you record HD channel it will play back HD as long as you have TV on HD input & box set to 720p or 1080i.
Depending on your Toshiba's connections may depend on what you can record.
Good chance you won't be able to choose what DVR model you get though, usually just limited to what's on techs truck. If you want to have more choice you may just want to take what tech has & try to go to local office to try to swap it out there.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #334 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

1) Motorola HD DVR
4) True HD playback

I too have read this entire post from page 1 to here...I agree with previous poster this thread is an HD DVR goldmine! Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Current Info:

My understanding is that All Motorola DVRs (non-moxi) should be the 6416 series (We didn't really jump on the bandwagon for non-moxi DVRs till the 6416 came out)

Generally there's 5 DVRs for motorola based Charter Systems - generally a system won't have more than two models total

The BMC9012 (standard Moxi)
9012 Moxi sports 80 gig hard drive and the Digeo Interface (very nice IMHO) it also supports USB expansion and remote scheduling via Charter.net web portal (only if you have a charter.net email on the same account as the moxi box) - these are becomming less common as none have been purchased after the FCC's 707 encryption mandate.

No moxi box has HDMI all are DVI. if a box has a RF output on the actual box and not a silver plate then it supports RF output, most (except for the first phase) have firewire ports. Rear USBs can support 1 hard drive (or USB based RAID/JBOD device)

The Rarer BMC9022 (advanced moxi)
The 9022 Moxi has the same support, except it has an intergrated DVD player and supports one Moxi Mate expansion (which gives a second TV access to your DVR) this box sports a 160 gig hard drive - but because the expansion is handled by analog transmission a special trap has to be on the line to keep your DVR from being shared by anyone else... - these are VERY rare - only 2 or so markets ever launched these boxes at all. - like the 9012 these are not being purchased any more.

In addition to the 9012 features the 9022 can support MP3 playback - it will rip music CDs it it's hard drive or pull them from a flash device plugged into the front USBs - this is supported if the Music application is enabled. Some may also have this functionality with Jpegs (picture CDs and flash) depending on if they have the "photos" application enabled.

DCT 6200 Series
unoffically there are 6208s in circulation - these are 6200 HD boxes with a single tuner which happened to have a 80 gig HD in them - they were being purchased when there was a short supply of 6200s - 99% of the techs, warehouses etc don't really look for them, so if someone has them, it's pretty much a guilty secret that they have a HD box plus limited DVR... and if it breaks or has to be swapped, good luck getting another one!

DCT/DCH 3400 Series
As I understand it the 3400 series is for Digital only systems - last two numbers indicate the hard drive size - generally either 12 (120 gigs) or 16 (160 gigs)

All DCH series sport HDMI jacks, I'm pretty certain the DCT versions do as well.

DCT = Digital Cable Terminal - boxes with intergrated encryption - which are no longer allowed to be purchased under the FCC's 707 mandate (we can continue to reuse the old ones thought)

DCH = Digital Cable Host - these boxes use a 2 way Multi-stream cable card to decrypt the channels. All new boxes after 07/01/07 are DCH.

DCT/DCH6400 Series
Most CHARTER systems will have the 6416 - as most early DVR deployments were Moxi. DCT6416s should sport HDMI

All DCT/DCH boxes have component and RCA output, Optical and SPDIF audio. RF output is optional on many of them and because of moxi, standard DVR setup is to use RCA or Component (we generally do not install DVI or HDMI cables nor supply them - though most installers and techs will use it if you supply the cable.)

So far as I know for Charter, all DCT/DCH boxes are on the Iguide (by TV Guide) platform.

As far as the "Best" DVR - IMHO it's the DCT/DCH 6416 - while the DCH looks a little cooler, there's really no functional difference to the user.

However in the near future Digeo should be launching a new line of 707 compliant moxi boxes - which I hope we'll carry in markets with Moxi already - these boxes should *hopefully* address the hardware issues I dislike in the BMC90xx series - namely the low grade analog tuner (analog picture on a moxi looks HORRIBLE on most LCD or plasma) as well as the lack of signal tolerance by the tuners and cable modems (Moxi guide requires interactive data service, which is in the 9012 is provided by an intergrated cable modem.)

RETAIL versions will also become availible (just add a cable card) and should be comprobable to the TIVO Series III / HD boxes. they will require Ethernet connection to a broadband connection.

Again, no launch or release dates... though they were supposed to hit stores for last holiday season... so I'd hope it would be sometime before end of 2008... then again with analog transimission slated to die in 2009, they may just wait a year and deploy without analog tuners... I know alot of electronics manufacturers will probably be skittish for the next year given the transition from analog to digital.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #335 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM

Thank you (both) for the breakdown and the info on the different cable boxes/DVRs. I am currently comparing the 3400 6400 series manuals side by side to see for myself what the "published" differences are. Right off the bat the 3400 says it does have HDMI and IEEE-1394 DTV connectivity; the 6400 boasts only the IEEE-1394 DTV and DVI connections. (Note, I am looking at the manuals on the Charter website.) I will also be pulling the Motorola versions off of their website to see any other differences.

James, is there any way to definitively verify if both series have HDMI connection capability from your side? (I am assuming here you are Charter connected from your screen name.) As I stated earlier the 4 CSRs I have spoke with @ Charter say none of their HD DVRs are such equipped. It may just be that since Charter will not supply HDMI cables that they have told their CSRs to not even offer or verify that they exist. I do not have an issue
supplying my own cables, have actually already gone out and purchased them.
But with my previous history with Charter Customer Service, I most definitely want to be able to choose which DVR they bring out to me so as to avoid any problems, even if it means I have to wait until they have one in stock.

(Sorry, CSR tangent, will try to keep the conversation and questions on the equipment.)
post #336 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

1) Motorola HD DVR
4) True HD playback

Current Info:

Here's a few other pointers -

With moto DVR's here's the general rule for HD usage

1 hr Analog = 2% to 4%
1 hr Digital SD = 1% to 2%
1 hr HD = 4% or more

so generally you can get around 50 hrs of only analog programming - 100 hours of only SD programming or 25 hours of only HD programming - which is why most litature will say 30 hours or more of programming, as it assumes most people will do alot of HD.

If you plan on outputting in High Def to your Panasonic do not expect to use DVI or HDMI for that connection - only Analog Component outputs allow for recording.

As far as compatibility - it will pretty much be like TV/VCR - keep the panasonic on the correct input and use the Moto remote to control the box - unless the Panasonic supports IR blaster and has the ability to control the moto box.

Programming Recorded in HD (Produced in HD on an HD channel) will playback at whatever resolution it was recorded in - mind you, especially local channels will still put out alot of programming in 480i and several channels have a native resolution of 720p (ESPN 1&2 HD particularly)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #337 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you (both) for the breakdown and the info on the different cable boxes/DVRs. I am currently comparing the 3400 6400 series manuals side by side to see for myself what the "published" differences are. Right off the bat the 3400 says it does have HDMI and IEEE-1394 DTV connectivity; the 6400 boasts only the IEEE-1394 DTV and DVI connections. (Note, I am looking at the manuals on the Charter website.) I will also be pulling the Motorola versions off of their website to see any other differences.

James, is there any way to definitively verify if both series have HDMI connection capability from your side? (I am assuming here you are Charter connected from your screen name.) As I stated earlier the 4 CSRs I have spoke with @ Charter say none of their HD DVRs are such equipped. It may just be that since Charter will not supply HDMI cables that they have told their CSRs to not even offer or verify that they exist. I do not have an issue
supplying my own cables, have actually already gone out and purchased them.
But with my previous history with Charter Customer Service, I most definitely want to be able to choose which DVR they bring out to me so as to avoid any problems, even if it means I have to wait until they have one in stock.

(Sorry, CSR tangent, will try to keep the conversation and questions on the equipment.)

Coming from a Charter employee I'd go with the manals from Motorola over the ones from Charter - I've seen some major innaccuracies in ours - largely because of confusion between the different models.

Unless your in a Digital only (or Analog-Digital Simocase - ADS) system, expect the 6416 if they say a HD DVR... generally a Moxi will get called a Moxi
and most the time call centers will have no idea what's there, they just put in a request for a DVR...

I'd recommend a field trip to the local office and requesting to talk to someone in management (Customer Service or Tech Ops) they should know what boxes are in that system and be able to make arrangements for you to get a specific model.

post #338 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 AM

If you plan on outputting in High Def to your Panasonic do not expect to use DVI or HDMI for that connection - only Analog Component outputs allow for recording.

As far as compatibility - it will pretty much be like TV/VCR - keep the panasonic on the correct input and use the Moto remote to control the box - unless the Panasonic supports IR blaster and has the ability to control the moto box.

Programming Recorded in HD (Produced in HD on an HD channel) will playback at whatever resolution it was recorded in - mind you, especially local channels will still put out alot of programming in 480i and several channels have a native resolution of 720p (ESPN 1&2 HD particularly)

Refresh, I have the Sony, not the Panasonic...but it sounds like that won't make a difference. I was unaware that you could not record using HDMI cable; but now that I think about it DOH! The recording is coming from the cable side, not the TV side...a little slow today. I think I remember seeing that IR Blaster thing in the TV manual...I can doublecheck. Thanks again for the info, great help.
post #339 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Refresh, I have the Sony, not the Panasonic...but it sounds like that won't make a difference. I was unaware that you could not record using HDMI cable; but now that I think about it DOH! The recording is coming from the cable side, not the TV side...a little slow today. I think I remember seeing that IR Blaster thing in the TV manual...I can doublecheck. Thanks again for the info, great help.

The RCA, RF, S-Video and Composite outputs (the analogs) are viewable and recordable by just about anything- PC caputure cards, other DVRs, DVD burners etc. Digital Video outputs (Firewire, DVI, HDMI) tend to be encrypted per the MPAA's preferences.

If you split before you get to the Moto DVR (one line to moto one line to Sony) make sure you use a two-way splitter that supports at least 1000mhz / 1ghz - this should prevent return problems with the box that can affect VOD etc.

Also keep in mind that if your Sony DVR doesn't have a digital (QAM) tuner it's highly likely that it will not be able to do any tuning after 2009's deadline.
There are theorys that Cable companies will all go ADS, and I would hope so, but I have an increasingly bad feeling in my gut that once Broadcasters are shut out of analog, cable companies will shut out their analog as well...

post #340 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

The RCA, RF, S-Video and Composite outputs (the analogs) are viewable and recordable by just about anything- PC caputure cards, other DVRs, DVD burners etc. Digital Video outputs (Firewire, DVI, HDMI) tend to be encrypted per the MPAA's preferences.

Also keep in mind that if your Sony DVR doesn't have a digital (QAM) tuner it's highly likely that it will not be able to do any tuning after 2009's deadline.
There are theorys that Cable companies will all go ADS, and I would hope so, but I have an increasingly bad feeling in my gut that once Broadcasters are shut out of analog, cable companies will shut out their analog as well...

The Sony TV does have built-in QAM; the Toshiba DVR has no internal tuners.

I know I saw a part of this thread earlier where someone was asking why they couldn't hook up and download saved recodings to an external HD. In one of the Charter manuals it has a drawing depicting the connection to an external HD from the DVR, as well as computer and other comp based peripherals from various connectors on the back of the DVR. (Page 29 of DCT3400 manual on Charter website.) Is it a connection issue or a "service not available" issue?
post #341 of 2061 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know I saw a part of this thread earlier where someone was asking why they couldn't hook up and download saved recodings to an external HD. In one of the Charter manuals it has a drawing depicting the connection to an external HD from the DVR, as well as computer and other comp based peripherals from various connectors on the back of the DVR. (Page 29 of DCT3400 manual on Charter website.) Is it a connection issue or a "service not available" issue?

CharterJames can give you better specifics on how some things work in Charter systems but in general there is no way to access the harddrive directly to copy files/shows from the DVR as you would on a computer. Any copying must be done real time by playing back things you have recorded or taping/recording while show is on live. If you want true digital copy the only way I know of is via the firewire port which I believe should be active (I think it was mandated a couple years ago it had to be). The only drawbacks are that only certain channels are able to be copied with this (depending on copyright flag), usually just the local network channels, if you record HD via firewire it makes quite a large file (several gb's) & it can be a bear to set up/get working correctly. If you're interested in doing it though there are a few threads on this forum on how to do it.

Ideally the cable co's would enable the 'eSATA' port on the boxes, which while it wouldn't let you transfer content it would at least let you store more. James quoted that you should be able to store about 25 hours of HD but the most I've ever seen on a 3416 is ~20 hours. Which sounds like a lot but if you set up a lot of series recordings & don't get to watch tv for a couple days it can go quick. However at this time I've not heard of any companies that have enabled this port.

As he said also, the RF, s-video & composite are the 3 guaranteed ways to be able to copy albeit it won't be a digital copy & you'll be limited to 480i resolution. I believe there are veryfew DVD recorders that can record via component.

Side note, if you were thinking about using the ethernet or USB ports..don't, they're not active, the ethernet may give you an IP but you won't be able to do anything else with it & the USB may power some devices for you but you can't do anything else with it.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #342 of 2061 Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM

On the DCH3416 when my brother switches from a normal channel to VOD, the volume shoots up to the point of extreme irritation. Is there at least a way to minimize this? TIA, Danno
post #343 of 2061 Old 01-05-2008, 12:34 PM

The Setup has audio compression control. I use light compression.
post #344 of 2061 Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Hey All -

I am sorry if this was covered in this thread or somewhere else...

I have a Cox DT6412 and was wondering if there was any way to enable the front or back Video In port(s)? I can only assume that they are one of the "inactive features" of this box, but was hoping there was a way.

Thanks!
post #345 of 2061 Old 01-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBrewer View Post

Hey All -

I am sorry if this was covered in this thread or somewhere else...

I have a Cox DT6412 and was wondering if there was any way to enable the front or back Video In port(s)? I can only assume that they are one of the "inactive features" of this box, but was hoping there was a way.

Thanks!

Not positive on Cox systems but in Comcast systems they're not enabled & there is no way for the end user to turn them on. They're enabled/disabled by the cable company.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #346 of 2061 Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

The Setup has audio compression control. I use light compression.

I turned off Audio Compression and it is still irritating...
post #347 of 2061 Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I am using hdmi and optical myself. Its a deal with it kinda thing. Since there is no dolby digital option within the box settings. The audio is messed up causing this. Light or Heavy does not help either. Like with my 360. I can select dolby digital and sound is all level. Even on low volume. When watching tv. Analog/digital channels are ok but hd channels sound is low. Gotta turn it way up. I dont have to do this using the 360. Then when you leave to a standard channel. It blows you out of your seat. Example on my 360. 10 is plenty. If watching a hd channel. I would have to crank it to 22 to get "decent" sound. They need to upgrade the software. The box can do it properly. Its just the software that is messing it up. Even more confirmation its a box issue. I hooked up the optical cable to my tv and into my receiver. And what would you know? Volume levels are all even. Even on hd channels. But, it can only pass 2.0 dd and not full 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

post #348 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:

Turning off audio compression makes the specific situation you're concerned about worse. If it is still annoying with light compression, try heavy compression.
post #349 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the DCH3416 when my brother switches from a normal channel to VOD, the volume shoots up to the point of extreme irritation. Is there at least a way to minimize this? TIA, Danno

Go into the advanced audio settings and set audio compression to Heavy - this should reduce the range the volume can shoot up.

In general it will always have a dramatic difference, something about how the VOD streams are set up in just about every situation (we've run 3 different VOD platforms here and that's one thing that always seems to happen - it's either alot louder or alot quieter)

post #350 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Not positive on Cox systems but in Comcast systems they're not enabled & there is no way for the end user to turn them on. They're enabled/disabled by the cable company.

As I understand it from the motorola manuals the inputs do work, but their are passive only - meaning you've got to turn the box off for them to pass anything along - which is not a good thing on a DVR...

however I've not tested that on a DVR and I don't recall that working on the older HD boxes.

post #351 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm thinking that diagram was probably taken from a motorola manual - Many of the motorola manuals gave generic icons depicting Game Controllers, Hard Drives, Keyboards, etc etc for the USB ports as "possible" items that could be used.

The reality of it is two pronged - at one point most ports had to be turned on or off with commands from the controlling server, however lately with DVI, HDMI, Firewire (and from what I've seen USB and eSATA) those seem to be under direct control of the firmware.

I've not seen any firmware being actively deployed that has enabled this - I know I've not seen any options for "External Hard Drive" on/off - Given the BMC9012 (i.e. Moxi) was also motorola based and this feature was entirely reliant on the box software, I'm thinking it will be much the same on the 34xx/64xx platform.

it's my understanding Moto is leaning towards eSATA with this series and the only things right now I can see standing in the way of deployment is the development of the firmware that makes this happen and the approval (or at least LACK of Disapproval) from the MPAA

In theory the USB should be "Universal" (afterall that's what the U is for in USB) however in reality that port will only support hardware it has drivers and software for - and what's loaded on one box pretty much has to be loaded on all.

However the ports *are* powered - so if you have any USB powered devices, you'll get no problem there. (I've used USB chargers for Cell phones, Ipods and batteries as well as USB powered lamps and fans)

post #352 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Had a DCT 6412 which was suffering from "select a menu item, wait for 2 minutes while the 6412 is frozen".

Got the DCH-3416. Cable company is Comcast. TV is Pioneer 6010FD plasma. HD looks glorious!!! Problem is: SD looks much worse than it was with the 6412 and a Sammy DLP just 2 weeks ago.

I've tried SD with the 4:3 override set both to 480 and off. In 'off' I've set the 3416 both to 480 and 1080. In all variations the "low" channels (i.e. 4-70) and even the 500-series channels (which for us display lots of movie and non HD premium services like HBO and Showtime) look anywhere from abysmal to mediocre. even the 150-400 channels (BBC America, Discovery, History channel) suffer from rather blocky images with lots of aliasing on image boundary lines (like contrast or color changes between the edge of a person and the background -- hope I made that moderately understandable).

I checked the Comcast box and SNR was about 35 which is "good".

Any thoughts whether this is a Comcast or a Motorola issue?
post #353 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found drivers for the 3416 for Vista x86?

(i wont even ask for x64, as this is a different beast)..

Thanks

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #354 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

Has anyone found drivers for the 3416 for Vista x86?

(i wont even ask for x64, as this is a different beast)..

Thanks

Probably want to hit the Fireware forums on that one - I know there's a few topics dedicated to pulling video from moto boxes via firewire, but it's nothing I've played with as I lack the hardware to experiment (namely a good computer with firewire ports)

post #355 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM

I've had 3 techs come out so far and the consensious is "there is nothing we can do".. The problem is my high bandwidth is -5 and low is +11.. Not really sure what that means but they said that is why my internet is slow and my HD programs pixelate sometimes. Is there really nothing I can do??
post #356 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauitime View Post

I've had 3 techs come out so far and the consensious is "there is nothing we can do".. The problem is my high bandwidth is -5 and low is +11.. Not really sure what that means but they said that is why my internet is slow and my HD programs pixelate sometimes. Is there really nothing I can do??

Generally that reading should be as close to 0 as possible, though -5 to +5 should be ok - beyound -10 and +10 you get failure on cable modems etc - as such +11 is a red flag.

"nothing we can do"? - unless you're living in an appartment where we have no right to make changes to the wireing, there's ALL SORTS of things they can do.

If a tech sees a signal problem they can't correct for it's supposed to be escalated to someone who can (generally you have techs who specialize on working the lines in a house, then those who focuse on the lines going to the node, then the fibers and finally the headend proper...)

Now, if it's a house someplace you have the ablility to authorize wireing changes the biggest thing I'd suggest is having a chat with someone in management at the local office - let them know what your seeing and how many trouble calls you've had. If you've got wire maintenance ask if you can get the entire thing re-worked because it's obivious there's a problem and apparently 3 techs can't find it.... if not let the manager know you're tired of paying for channels you can't see and a "Slow speed" broadband connection and this needs to get fixed.

*but the kicker is* you'll get MUCH better results if you go into the local office or have a local contact - call centers just don't seem to get it most the time.

post #357 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks James. I did leave out the part where the last tech thought it was the cable running from my house to the "hub" about 300ft away from my house! So maybe I will get in contact with my local office and see what can be done.

Thanks again!
post #358 of 2061 Old 01-07-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauitime View Post

Thanks James. I did leave out the part where the last tech thought it was the cable running from my house to the "hub" about 300ft away from my house! So maybe I will get in contact with my local office and see what can be done.

Thanks again!

That drop length could well affect it - but since you can't move the house you might have to see if they would be willing to run a second drop and split the outlets across two drop lines - this isn't cheap - so unless you have wire maintenance or they get the picture that it's going to cost them more for repeat trouble calls than a rework - you might have to keep on them.

With luck a good face to face talk to a local manager should be all it takes

post #359 of 2061 Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably want to hit the Fireware forums on that one - I know there's a few topics dedicated to pulling video from moto boxes via firewire, but it's nothing I've played with as I lack the hardware to experiment (namely a good computer with firewire ports)

The only link i could find was this one... (http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/firewire/readme.htm )

http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/f...b-vistarc1.msi

It claimed to work with the dch-3416.. but when i tried to install the drivers for the missing devices it didnt like the paths.. (based on this site http://www.fixya.com/support/t258742...h3416_computer )

UPDATE: never mind.. stumbled onto this link.. this DOES work in x86 Vista for this unit: http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbf...#_Toc185690661

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #360 of 2061 Old 01-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Now, if it's a house someplace you have the ablility to authorize wireing changes the biggest thing I'd suggest is having a chat with someone in management at the local office - let them know what your seeing and how many trouble calls you've had. If you've got wire maintenance ask if you can get the entire thing re-worked because it's obivious there's a problem and apparently 3 techs can't find it.... if not let the manager know you're tired of paying for channels you can't see and a "Slow speed" broadband connection and this needs to get fixed.

*but the kicker is* you'll get MUCH better results if you go into the local office or have a local contact - call centers just don't seem to get it most the time.

I ask this on forum for the benefit of all. How do we get past the front desk? Seems like I get lots of talk, but cannot talk to anybody who has technical training. Very frustrating. Nothing personal, as I know you are doing all you can to help.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page