Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2061 Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a known issue with the DCT6416 III going bad? right now I am on my 3rd box.

The first one I picked up when they were closing and when i got it home, couldnt get a picture out of it, and there wasn't any hard drive sound.

The second one, had picture, but every time you shut it off it would loose all guide data, and if you tried to use the dvr option it would lock up.

This one has been fine for about a week, but last night i started getting a bit of squeeling and wavey lines when solid white screens where up.. have it right now with the white box status page up. and an hour ago, while the box was off, it started flashing Subt and OFF, then what looked like an error code of 96 followed with what looked like 69 degrees. tho, the status page shows Temp: 102F 39C max temp 117F 47.2C Over TEmP no count 0. I unpluged it as soon as i saw that thinking it was an overtemp, let it cool down for about 5 minutes, and pluged it back in to find all guide data gone.. so.. should i be exchanging THIS bos as well?

This is sitting on top of a computer desk with absolutely nothing on top of it or around it within 4-6 inches, and plugs directly in to my hd tvcard viewing on a 24 hd panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2061 Old 01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
When you take power off of any Motorola STB you will lose guide data for a while. It populates about 2 or 3 hours in a half hour or so and gets the rest over a few days.

Bobby 

post #363 of 2061 Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM

We're on our third DVR in about two weeks. Insight installed us December 26th and setup a DCT6412-III. Great picture and sound but the 6412-III would lockup once or twice a day only recovery was to pull the plug and reboot. They brought a DCH6416 to replace it on January 5th. Great picture but the sound would glitch out with clicks and pops often loud ones, and dropouts on the digital SD and HD channels. So this past Wednesday they setup yet another 6416. No more sound glitchs but I swear the picture looks a just little bit softer on all channels SD and HD than the previous 6416. All settings on tv and within the 6416 are the same as the previous unit.

Do boxes tend to vary slightly in their picture quality?

Also on the first 6416 the volume control on the DVR remote controlled the TV volume and the DVR volume stayed locked at optimal stereo. On the 2nd 6416 the volume control on the DVR remote (techs did not swap remotes its still the same remote that they left w/ the 6412-III) controls the 6416's internal volume control.
post #364 of 2061 Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM

I have a DCH6416 and Charter, and I have a couple of problems I'm hoping someone can help me with.

For about a month I haven't been able to use On-Demand (it worked fine before that). I get the "CableCard Pairing" error (white background, red text). I've tried unplugging/replugging, having the service "hit" by charter, had a tech out who tried a bunch of stuff, but no luck. I also get the same error when I try to view the BBC channel, but that has been happening forever. The tech basically said he didn't know what to do. He wanted to swap out the receiver but he said this model was extremely rare and he didn't have any.

Also, since the Charter tech was here I haven't been able to use the "format" button on the front of the box. He did a reset of all my settings, putting me down to 720p and I want to get back to 1080i. I go to the config page (power off, then select), and I can SEE all of my settings, but it won't let me change anything. I could swear that last time I was in there I could change stuff. I've tried rebooting since then, but nothing...

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #365 of 2061 Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penske1 View Post

Also, since the Charter tech was here I haven't been able to use the "format" button on the front of the box. He did a reset of all my settings, putting me down to 720p and I want to get back to 1080i. I go to the config page (power off, then select), and I can SEE all of my settings, but it won't let me change anything. I could swear that last time I was in there I could change stuff. I've tried rebooting since then, but nothing...

Any ideas? Thanks!

It's 'power off', then 'menu' for the screen you're looking for.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #366 of 2061 Old 01-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

It's 'power off', then 'menu' for the screen you're looking for.

Good grief, I didn't even realize there were two different setup menus. Now I feel like a moron... Thanks
post #367 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 04:14 AM

I'm having a problem or should I say, my parents are having a problem that I don't feel like driving 900 miles to figure out. They just bought their first plasma and now have their first DVR box, DCH6416. I'll state it very simple, they hooked up the RF cable to the box and HDMI from the box to the TV. No RF cable at all to the TV, so the only video source into the TV is the HDMI cable. Well, turn on the TV and the box and channel 20 ESPN classic comes in clear as vodka. Change the channel to say CH. 6. The front of the box says Ch. 6 and CH 20 ESPN classic still looks great..... See the problem. Does anybody know what's going on here?
post #368 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Just for grins, have them unplug the box for 15 minutes and then plug it back in. Wait a few minutes to let the box load up. Did that fix the problem? If not, have them call the cable company. Their techs are a lot closer then 900 miles.

Bobby 

post #369 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeifer View Post

Is there a known issue with the DCT6416 III going bad? right now I am on my 3rd box.

About 80% of the boxes that get returned to us are more often than not software issues that require reloading or signal issues that were not correctly resolved.

Quote:

The first one I picked up when they were closing and when i got it home, couldnt get a picture out of it, and there wasn't any hard drive sound.

More than likely with no picture it was never properly activated to your account - though the lack HD sound might indicate some sort of hardware failure - The 64xx series runs on firmwares (as opposed to the Moxi which runs a linux like OS on the hard drive) so even in the event of total HD failure you should be able to tune and get a picture.

Quote:

The second one, had picture, but every time you shut it off it would loose all guide data, and if you tried to use the dvr option it would lock up.

When you shut it off where you using a switched powersource (power strip, home theater with power plug ins etc) - if the box loses power it will lose all guide information in memory. Generally with DVRs it's recommended they be left on at all times.

Quote:

This one has been fine for about a week, but last night i started getting a bit of squeeling and wavey lines when solid white screens where up.. have it right now with the white box status page up. and an hour ago, while the box was off, it started flashing Subt and OFF, then what looked like an error code of 96 followed with what looked like 69 degrees. tho, the status page shows Temp: 102F 39C max temp 117F 47.2C Over TEmP no count 0. I unpluged it as soon as i saw that thinking it was an overtemp, let it cool down for about 5 minutes, and pluged it back in to find all guide data gone.. so.. should i be exchanging THIS bos as well?

No, tempature ranges can exceed 55c and still function normally. your ranges are pretty normal there - I've got mine in a stack with 2 other boxes directly on top of a home theater in my office and I'm running at 115f/46c with a max of 131f/55c -

The Subt off occurs when the box is cut off and the INFO button is pressed - this is a shortcut to the Power / Select menu that gives you subtitling.

If Menu is hit while the box is off you'll get the white screen menu - these are all accessible from the remote as well as the front of the box while the box is off.

Again, I recommend keeping the box on and any power-cycling will result in a forced reload of the guide data.

The lines on the white screen may be signal issue or possibly a bad connection between the TV and the box. I'd test it on Analog, SD Digital and HD and see if it happens on all three - I'd also make sure all connections are tight and there's no break in any cabling that might allow for interfearance.

Quote:

This is sitting on top of a computer desk with absolutely nothing on top of it or around it within 4-6 inches, and plugs directly in to my hd tvcard viewing on a 24 hd panel.

What connection are you using? are you viewing this in a windowed mode?

One thing I'd also do is bypass the box and try a direct connection for that line issue - this will let you know if maybe something in your card's setup might be affecting this.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #370 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escopa View Post

I'm having a problem or should I say, my parents are having a problem that I don't feel like driving 900 miles to figure out. They just bought their first plasma and now have their first DVR box, DCH6416. I'll state it very simple, they hooked up the RF cable to the box and HDMI from the box to the TV. No RF cable at all to the TV, so the only video source into the TV is the HDMI cable. Well, turn on the TV and the box and channel 20 ESPN classic comes in clear as vodka. Change the channel to say CH. 6. The front of the box says Ch. 6 and CH 20 ESPN classic still looks great..... See the problem. Does anybody know what's going on here?

Per other advice try a power cycle - also try other channels in the 100+ range then back down.

If this is a ADS system one little "trick" that can catch people is when a digital channel was last tuned and it's either interupted or attempted to tune to a channel it can't acquire - it will keep the last picture frozen for an extended amount of time.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #371 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penske1 View Post

I have a DCH6416 and Charter, and I have a couple of problems I'm hoping someone can help me with.

For about a month I haven't been able to use On-Demand (it worked fine before that). I get the "CableCard Pairing" error (white background, red text). I've tried unplugging/replugging, having the service "hit" by charter, had a tech out who tried a bunch of stuff, but no luck. I also get the same error when I try to view the BBC channel, but that has been happening forever. The tech basically said he didn't know what to do. He wanted to swap out the receiver but he said this model was extremely rare and he didn't have any.

Any ideas? Thanks!

What you need to do is get the card VALIDATED - this is a special command ususally done by someone with access to the Digital Controller or by the warehouse people - usually the local office can have the warehouse do it.

If you want to email me your Name and phone number as it appears in billing I'll be happy to see if I can do this (if you're in the same billing system as my market uses it will work)

The format/Aspect button doesn't work / is not enabled - it can only be changed from the power \\ menu options (power\\select is diagnostics and power\\info is a shortcut to box based captioning)

post #372 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivatHD View Post

We're on our third DVR in about two weeks. Insight installed us December 26th and setup a DCT6412-III. Great picture and sound but the 6412-III would lockup once or twice a day only recovery was to pull the plug and reboot. They brought a DCH6416 to replace it on January 5th. Great picture but the sound would glitch out with clicks and pops often loud ones, and dropouts on the digital SD and HD channels. So this past Wednesday they setup yet another 6416. No more sound glitchs but I swear the picture looks a just little bit softer on all channels SD and HD than the previous 6416. All settings on tv and within the 6416 are the same as the previous unit.

Do boxes tend to vary slightly in their picture quality?

Also on the first 6416 the volume control on the DVR remote controlled the TV volume and the DVR volume stayed locked at optimal stereo. On the 2nd 6416 the volume control on the DVR remote (techs did not swap remotes its still the same remote that they left w/ the 6412-III) controls the 6416's internal volume control.

There's a feature called Volume lock - it allows you to choose where you are controlling your volume (TV / Aux / Cable) I recommend keeping the cable box at optimal stereo and using either the TV or Aux (I use a home theater so it's Aux for me)

On the standard silver DVR remote you set this as follows:

Press CBL and OK/Sel together for 3 seconds - CBL light will should come on

Press VOL +

Press the component button you want to control the volume in CBL mode.

Repeat as needed (example TV+ok / Vol + / Aux to make sure you're using the Aux for volume while in TV mode - DVD+ok / Vol + / Aux to make sure you're using the Aux volume while in DVD mode)

For other remotes, check out the remote page for instructions

http://webpages.charter.net/remotes/

PS
There may well be a better quality tuner in the 64xx series over the DCT62xx

post #373 of 2061 Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant to ask. DCH6416 here. I have a Samsung LN-T3253H which is native 720p. Should I leave the box set at 720p where its at now by default. Or should I change that to 1080i? Aren't most HD programs in 1080i?
post #374 of 2061 Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The answer is in your individual eye. Even if most programming is in 1080I, your TV is native 720P and will convert any signal to that resolution. The key is to look at the same programming in both 720P and 1080I. Whichever looks best to you is the right choice.

Bobby 

post #375 of 2061 Old 01-12-2008, 01:21 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

I meant to ask. DCH6416 here. I have a Samsung LN-T3253H which is native 720p. Should I leave the box set at 720p where its at now by default. Or should I change that to 1080i? Aren't most HD programs in 1080i?

While the TV may be advertised as 720p, it is not. 720p is 1280x720p, while your TV is 1366x768p, like many TVs are; so, it will scale everything. I have a TV with that res. and have found like some others that 1080i works best, if one doesn't want to keep changing the res. based on the channel; you might find differently.
post #376 of 2061 Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Hello All, and thanks for this great and useful forum. I am a previous MOXI user and now on the 6414, like many folks here.

Here's my problem: Whilst fast forwarding through a commercial break I accidentally hit the LIST button (located inconveniently directly above the play button) when I am trying to hit PLAY and end the FF-ing through the ads. The result is generally that the list pops up and your recorded program is clearly still FF-ing in the top right corner. Then when you hit the PLAY button again it starts a whole other recorded program from the list! As you can imagine the cussing that results from this mistake is profuse. It ain't pretty, Baby!

OK, so I have decided the best workaround is to program a different button to be also a PLAY button therefore allowing me to hit PLAY w/o sometimes missing the button. I suppose I could also put on a pair of glasses every time I want to FF, but that seems just silly!

I already did your 30-sec skip code macro on the A button, so how can I macro the B button to do the PLAY function?

Thanks!
post #377 of 2061 Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferess View Post

I already did your 30-sec skip code macro on the A button, so how can I macro the B button to do the PLAY function?

Thanks!

Basically the same way you did the 30 sec skip, just with the code for play instead. Not sure if you got the 30 skip code from here but this lists most of the codes on the remote, including the Play button.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...emote#EFC_list

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #378 of 2061 Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferess View Post

Hello All, and thanks for this great and useful forum. I am a previous MOXI user and now on the 6414, like many folks here.

Here's my problem: Whilst fast forwarding through a commercial break I accidentally hit the LIST button (located inconveniently directly above the play button) when I am trying to hit PLAY and end the FF-ing through the ads. The result is generally that the list pops up and your recorded program is clearly still FF-ing in the top right corner. Then when you hit the PLAY button again it starts a whole other recorded program from the list! As you can imagine the cussing that results from this mistake is profuse. It ain't pretty, Baby!

OK, so I have decided the best workaround is to program a different button to be also a PLAY button therefore allowing me to hit PLAY w/o sometimes missing the button. I suppose I could also put on a pair of glasses every time I want to FF, but that seems just silly!

Thanks!

I set mine up different from the suggestions. I used "help" for skip forward and used "fav" to skip back. I just use the 4 arrow buttons for play, ffwd, rewind and live. I also used the "on demand" to swap tuners. On mine the "B" button is for scrolling back through the guide a day at a time ("C" goes ahead a day at a time) so I left that as it was. That way all the buttons I use the most are all in one place. Once you get used to it that way it works great.
post #379 of 2061 Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutinHD View Post

Thank you (both) for the breakdown and the info on the different cable boxes/DVRs. I am currently comparing the 3400 6400 series manuals side by side to see for myself what the "published" differences are. Right off the bat the 3400 says it does have HDMI and IEEE-1394 DTV connectivity; the 6400 boasts only the IEEE-1394 DTV and DVI connections. (Note, I am looking at the manuals on the Charter website.) I will also be pulling the Motorola versions off of their website to see any other differences.

James, is there any way to definitively verify if both series have HDMI connection capability from your side? (I am assuming here you are Charter connected from your screen name.) As I stated earlier the 4 CSRs I have spoke with @ Charter say none of their HD DVRs are such equipped. It may just be that since Charter will not supply HDMI cables that they have told their CSRs to not even offer or verify that they exist. I do not have an issue
supplying my own cables, have actually already gone out and purchased them.
But with my previous history with Charter Customer Service, I most definitely want to be able to choose which DVR they bring out to me so as to avoid any problems, even if it means I have to wait until they have one in stock.

(Sorry, CSR tangent, will try to keep the conversation and questions on the equipment.)

All DCH6416's are HDMI based, so far from what's I've seen all DCT6416s are also HDMI based. when it comes to the DCTs and DCTs I haven't seen any DVI ports since the DCT 5200/6200 series HD box.

while I can't be 100% sure as some systems may have deployed the DCT/DCH DVRs before the DCT 6416 Phase III box was widely accepted - I'd say as a rule your going to get HDMI on a DCT/DCH DVR with Dvi being the Exeption.

Unfortunately Moxi only had DVI and given alot of managerial attutide of "A DVR is a DVR" most marketing and customer service will often confuse the two or assume all are moxi or all are DCT etc.

We don't supply any cables other than the Component to our techs and installers

post #380 of 2061 Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Looking at the back of my DCT6416III I see the orange RCA type connector for the digital coaxial output. I see a spot for an optical connection, but not sure if it is a valid connector. It looks like it is blocked off. Or is that what they look like?

So my question, are both types of digital connection available on the DVR or just the coaxial?

I really would like to get two digital out connections without using any kind of a splitter/y connector or what ever they make for doing such a thing.
post #381 of 2061 Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Why need two? It does 5.1 channel surround sound just fine.

Also, that optical out isn't closed. That's just a cover to protect the delicate insides. You just need to stick the cable into it.
post #382 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Looking at the back of my DCT6416III I see the orange RCA type connector for the digital coaxial output. I see a spot for an optical connection, but not sure if it is a valid connector. It looks like it is blocked off. Or is that what they look like?

So my question, are both types of digital connection available on the DVR or just the coaxial?

I really would like to get two digital out connections without using any kind of a splitter/y connector or what ever they make for doing such a thing.

Both are availible / active - Usually the Fiber / optical is the prefered method - these are frequently called TOSlink cables and you can often find them at Target for a decent price.

I've not really heard of anyone splitting digital audio - generally it's run into a home theater which then passes it on to whatever other devices may need it or more frequently RCA will be used to the TV for when you don't want home theater and Fiber will serve for the HT audio

post #383 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

Why need two? It does 5.1 channel surround sound just fine.

Also, that optical out isn't closed. That's just a cover to protect the delicate insides. You just need to stick the cable into it.

So that is just a flap covering the input jack, that will turn out of the way? It looks like I need a cable with a square type of plug that is about 1/8 inch by 1/8 inch or so.

Flap yes/no

Square type connector yes/no, reason I ask is that I thought the opticals were round (similar to the RCA connector) but of an optical makeup instead of metallic.
post #384 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So that is just a flap covering the input jack, that will turn out of the way? It looks like I need a cable with a square type of plug that is about 1/8 inch by 1/8 inch or so.

Flap yes/no

Square type connector yes/no, reason I ask is that I thought the opticals were round (similar to the RCA connector) but of an optical makeup instead of metallic.

yes it's an auto-protect mechanism - alot of home theater equipment will either use those or plugs that sit there - since most people tend to lose the plugs when they put in a cable that's the prefered protection.

if you look for fiber audio cable in stores it will ususally have the squarish (one side does draws down to a pentagon shape -this is usually the bottom )

This specific connection is usually refered to as TOS link

Here's some example cables and technicial details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSlink

The actual connection is round, with a special shaped socket to prevent people from shoving the wrong cable there - there's also some special units that use something similar to a headset jack (1/8 mm) and adapters to convert that to the standard plug. The 1/8 mm style jack is pretty rare, I've only seen it on old Sony Mini-disk players though the wikipedia article indicates it saw usage on Macintosh computers and a few other CD type devices.

post #385 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Both are availible / active - Usually the Fiber / optical is the prefered method - these are frequently called TOSlink cables and you can often find them at Target for a decent price.

I've not really heard of anyone splitting digital audio - generally it's run into a home theater which then passes it on to whatever other devices may need it or more frequently RCA will be used to the TV for when you don't want home theater and Fiber will serve for the HT audio

Well here is what I want to do:

I do not want to run the HT full time, so inorder to only use the Receiver during movies etc I want to hook up as follows........

DVR to TV via HDMI

DVR to RCVR via digital optical cable (RCVR has no HDMI in/our)

Up converting DVD player to TV via HDMI (TV has two HDMI inputs)

DVD player to RCVR via digital coaxial cable (DVD only has coaxial out, don't know why only coaxial, but that is what I am stuck with)

If I have this figured out correctly I would be able to use TV speakers for either the DVR or DVD via the HDMI and leave the HT shut off

If I want the HT active, I would pass the video via the HDMI and the audio via the digital cables to the RCVR in order to get 5.1 surround

Does this work? Any anticipated problems?

I know this might be a little out of this forum, but the key is whether the DCT6416III had an optical output.
post #386 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do not want to run the HT full time, so inorder to only use the Receiver during movies etc I want to hook up as follows........

DVR to TV via HDMI

DVD player to RCVR via digital coaxial cable (DVD only has coaxial out, don't know why only coaxial, but that is what I am stuck with)

If I have this figured out correctly I would be able to use TV speakers for either the DVR or DVD via the HDMI and leave the HT shut off

If I want the HT active, I would pass the video via the HDMI and the audio via the digital cables to the RCVR in order to get 5.1 surround

I know this might be a little out of this forum, but the key is whether the DCT6416III had an optical output.

That should work nicely - you'll switch inputs from your HDMI1 to HDMI2 to change the TV between DVD and Cable. When using the Home theater you'll have to switch there as well.

Sadly alot of DVD players seem to like to skimp on the Optical outputs - I was rather dismayed to see how many with HDMI outputs did not have optical as well. We're actually in a similar boat, except I'm unfortunate enough to only have 1 HDMI input on my TV... So I'm using HDMI from Cablebox to TV, Composite from DVD to TV, Optical from Cable to HT and Coax Dig Audio from DVD to HT. - it's a bit annoying to change both sources, but it really can't be helped until the day I can get a good quality HDMI switching HT and use it full time.

post #387 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DVR to TV via HDMI

Seems like it should work fine and yes, that DVR has an optical out.
post #388 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

...I'm unfortunate enough to only have 1 HDMI input on my TV... So I'm using HDMI from Cablebox to TV, Composite from DVD to TV, Optical from Cable to HT and Coax Dig Audio from DVD to HT. - it's a bit annoying to change both sources, but it really can't be helped until the day I can get a good quality HDMI switching HT and use it full time.

Have you thought about getting an HDMI switcher to tide you over? These are inexpensive and seem to get good reviews, although they're quite popular right now and most seem to be out of stock
post #389 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

TV: Panasonic 58pz700u (1080p native)
STB: DCT6416 connected via component
Cable Co: RCN (Chicago)

1) Is there a way to simply "pass through" the signal and let my TV do the work? I trust my TV to do a better job than the STB. It seems as if you can feed your tv everything 720p or 1080i, but not a mix of both.

2)I'm leaving it on 1080i for now, I set SD to 480p, I'll play around with 720p v. 1080i... but 1080i has looked better in the past on this tv.

3) is there a way to switch between TV inputs using the cable box remote? I see no obvious TV/Video button on the remote... If there is this would pretty much eliminate my TV remote from normal use... my remote appears to be UR5-8400a

http://webpages.charter.net/remotes/.../UR5-8400a.jpg

4) I understand there are issues with A24, where can you find what guide version your bx is currently using.... to receive any firmware upgrades does the ethernet cable need to be attached or are they sent over coax?

I will eventually have it hooked up via HDMI to the tv, so far I'm satisfied with the PQ over component, this being my first HD box I feel a bit dirty since I've only used an anetenna or a QAM tuner picking up unencrypted local channels, but I'm sure I'll get used to it

Also, thanks to CharterJames for taking the time to start this thread and answer questions.
post #390 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

TV: Panasonic 58pz700u (1080p native)
STB: DCT6416 connected via component
Cable Co: RCN (Chicago)

1) Is there a way to simply "pass through" the signal and let my TV do the work? I trust my TV to do a better job than the STB. It seems as if you can feed your tv everything 720p or 1080i, but not a mix of both.

Unfortunately the Moto boxes do not allow this at this time, you're stuck with the output you select when the box is off.

Quote:

2)I'm leaving it on 1080i for now, I set SD to 480p, I'll play around with 720p v. 1080i... but 1080i has looked better in the past on this tv.

Depends on the person & the TV for this option, so basically whatever looks better to you.

Quote:

3) is there a way to switch between TV inputs using the cable box remote? I see no obvious TV/Video button on the remote... If there is this would pretty much eliminate my TV remote from normal use... my remote appears to be UR5-8400a

http://webpages.charter.net/remotes/.../UR5-8400a.jpg

I am not familiar with that particular remote but doing a quick search gave me a better view of the buttons on it. According to what I saw there should be a button toward the bottom left labeled 'video select', if this is the case try pressing the TV button at the top & then that video select button. If it works anything like most remotes & is programmed for the TV correctly that may do the trick.

Quote:

4) I understand there are issues with A24, where can you find what guide version your bx is currently using.... to receive any firmware upgrades does the ethernet cable need to be attached or are they sent over coax?

You'd have to do a little searching for pictures of the different guides but most areas are currently using the A24. There may also be a Chicago thread here on the AVS forum that could tell you a little better what they currently have out there (the search button is your friend). Updates are automatic though & run via the coax to the box. You unfortunately can not pick which version you want. The ethernet serves no purpose at this time.

Just my 2¢
Jon
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page