Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my Charter remote, I push TV then use the TV/VCR (Input is printed on the button itself) button to cycle through the inputs to my Sony. On the Comcast silver remote I do the same with the button titled
"Input" prinsted on the remote body with TV/VCR printed on the button

This cycles through the inputs, and I can lock out the inputs that i do not need, so I currently have input 5 receiveing the component from the DVD player, and input 7 receiving the HDMI from the DVR. Perhaps your TV has something similar.

Bottom line is I control the input and the volume of the TV from the DVR remote. If I am running the DVD I control the volume of the RCVR with the remote set in AUX and alos turn the RCVR on and off with the DVR remote.

If you get the silver Comcast remote, you might be able to program some other key to control your TV input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2061 Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Can anyone tell me why our 34xx box tends to loose its DVR functionality from time to time? Generally, unplugging and waiting seems to restore (minus all our programs and scheduled recordings) functionality, but this has happened at least 6 times since we got the box last year. When it happens, the box continues to function- it just forgets that it has a DVR in it. None of the DVR buttons on the remote work. When you hit record, it tries to record to a VCR! Any thoughts would be helpful- I can't believe I'm paying $12 a month for this.
post #393 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 AM

I know this has been ask many a time,but does the Motorola DCH3416 support a external hard drive though the usb port.I live in Hartford Wisconsin and just had my moxi swapped with one of these and the tech told my that it did and he plugged the one that I had hooked up to the moxi.He told me he has been doing this with external hard drives when he swaps moxi boxes and that it works.I have now had the new box a couple of days and it seems to be getting full.The external hard drive is 500 gigs and with the moxi held 80 to 100 hours of HDTV.Seems strange that some one who works for Charter would not know this or do i have to do something to make the box recognize the external hard drive.Thanks in advance for the updated information!!!
post #394 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

That drop length could well affect it - but since you can't move the house you might have to see if they would be willing to run a second drop and split the outlets across two drop lines - this isn't cheap - so unless you have wire maintenance or they get the picture that it's going to cost them more for repeat trouble calls than a rework - you might have to keep on them.

With luck a good face to face talk to a local manager should be all it takes

Well I got them to come out and run new cable out to the street.. bad thing is they're not coming until the 28th!! So now it is layin across the road getting run over for almost 3 weeks.. The road is not a real busy road but still,, do you think that will ruin the cable and if so should I ask them to check it first?
post #395 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The jiggrinder View Post

I know this has been ask many a time,but does the Motorola DCH3416 support a external hard drive though the usb port.I live in Hartford Wisconsin and just had my moxi swapped with one of these and the tech told my that it did and he plugged the one that I had hooked up to the moxi.He told me he has been doing this with external hard drives when he swaps moxi boxes and that it works.I have now had the new box a couple of days and it seems to be getting full.The external hard drive is 500 gigs and with the moxi held 80 to 100 hours of HDTV.Seems strange that some one who works for Charter would not know this or do i have to do something to make the box recognize the external hard drive.Thanks in advance for the updated information!!!

AFAIK, no cable company has enabled external storage for the Motorola DCT or DCH boxes. Your 3416 will store less than 20 hours of HD on its 160GB internal HDD.

If you want more space, you'll need to go the TiVo route.
post #396 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post

Can anyone tell me why our 34xx box tends to loose its DVR functionality from time to time? Generally, unplugging and waiting seems to restore (minus all our programs and scheduled recordings) functionality, but this has happened at least 6 times since we got the box last year. When it happens, the box continues to function- it just forgets that it has a DVR in it. None of the DVR buttons on the remote work. When you hit record, it tries to record to a VCR! Any thoughts would be helpful- I can't believe I'm paying $12 a month for this.

Sounds like either a bad box or bad provisioning of equipment (system thinks you have a non-DVR STB). Might have them drop/add the box again, making sure they have the right serial number. If that doesn't work, swap boxes.
post #397 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post

Mine was doing that last night, no DVR functions, but only on one tuner. The other one was fine. All I had to do was change the channel and it started working again. I have the same thoughts as you.....I'm PAYING for this? I have to admit though that these newer ones (DCT) work alot better than the DCH did.
post #398 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

Mine was doing that last night, no DVR functions, but only on one tuner. The other one was fine. All I had to do was change the channel and it started working again. I have the same thoughts as you.....I'm PAYING for this? I have to admit though that these newer ones (DCT) work alot better than the DCH did.

sligh correction... the DCH is newer than the DCT
post #399 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelmoxi View Post

sligh correction... the DCH is newer than the DCT

Thanks.....I took a guess, not being at home when I replied and guessed wrong.

Barry
post #400 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM

I'm with Charter and I currently have both the Moxi box and the new DCH6416. I also have a couple of nice 750 GB external hard drives. I hooked one of them to the Moxi and it works great but unfortunately I noticed that they have not opened up the USB ports on the DCH6416 for use of an external hard drive. About all the USB port is good for is powering something.

However, my question is this. The DCH6416 also has an eSATA port on it. If they ever decide to open up a port to accept an external hard drive, and they decide to use the eSATA port rather than the USB port for it. Will I be able to hook my USB external Hard Drive up to an eSATA port somehow? An adapter? A new eSATA cable for my currently USB hard drive? Is this possible or will I have to go buy an eSATA external hard drive?

Thanks for any help here guys.
post #401 of 2061 Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Never thought about checking the other tuner...interesting. Overall, I've found that our old TiVo was a much better DVR, although its picture quality was much worse. I'd get an HD TiVo if I thought the wife would not mind me buying another gadget. I just want the cable one to at least work. Whenever we loose the DVR, we also loose any scheduled recordings, and I've pretty much given up rescheduling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

post #402 of 2061 Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM

I have the DCH3416 and i have a plasma and a projector hooked up. I hook the projector up thru a HDMI switch and every time i do that the settings go back to default. why is that?

Also I can have my plasma hooked up via component and projector hooked up HDMI. since its a dual tuner, can I watch 2 different channels at the same time? I think my friends sat. box can do that.
post #403 of 2061 Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdude12 View Post

I have the DCH3416 and i have a plasma and a projector hooked up. I hook the projector up thru a HDMI switch and every time i do that the settings go back to default. why is that?

Also I can have my plasma hooked up via component and projector hooked up HDMI. since its a dual tuner, can I watch 2 different channels at the same time? I think my friends sat. box can do that.

Not sure on the first - you might have luck taking that issue to broadband.motorola.com - there's where I'd take it if one of my customers had an issue with it - generally on my 6416s HDMI pretty much stays where you set it reguardless of what you're outputting it to.

On the second - short answer - no.
You can set up the remote to swap tuners and control where each tuner is, but there's no mechanism in place to output tuner 1 to HDMI and say Tuner 2 to Component.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #404 of 2061 Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a new one. Was pretty pissed about it as well. But I will give it a benefit of the doubt since it was the first time. I have wwe monday night raw set to record every monday at 9. Anyways. I went to watch it last nite and a little over half way. It freezes and skips all the way until the end. I cannot rewind or go back. It gets to the same spot and goes right to the end again. What happened here? I chalk it up as a possible glitch but man that sucked! Moto DCH6416 btw brand new when it was installed. Have had it for about 2-3 months now.
post #405 of 2061 Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 PM

CharterJames:
Another question about the UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 remote. In the battery compartment, above the battery, is a 4-pin connector. There's an awesome little program on the Universal Remotes website (see below) called "Upgrade Link2" that looks like it'd be pretty easy to program the remote (vis-a-vis the unused ABCD buttons and the 30sec fast forward).

The only problem is that I have no idea what cable I need to connect it! I don't know what the pin-outs are either, or I'd make my own cable. Do you have one of these cables lying around?

Thanks for all the info you have put up, here, by the way. I especially appreciate the heads-ups for free preview channels!
post #406 of 2061 Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

Here is a new one. Was pretty pissed about it as well. But I will give it a benefit of the doubt since it was the first time. I have wwe monday night raw set to record every monday at 9. Anyways. I went to watch it last nite and a little over half way. It freezes and skips all the way until the end. I cannot rewind or go back. It gets to the same spot and goes right to the end again. What happened here? I chalk it up as a possible glitch but man that sucked! Moto DCH6416 btw brand new when it was installed. Have had it for about 2-3 months now.

I've had that before. More often though, sometimes a recorded program will just be black from the beginning. Fast forwarding/rewinding shows the progress bar, but it doesn't move. It's like the program isn't even there. Weird!
post #407 of 2061 Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM

I have the 3416 and when I use OnDemand with Charter STL I see a vertical green bar on the right hand side of the screen. I am using HDMI output to a Olevia 437V. I switched to component last night and the green bar vanished. Any ideas what is bad? TV? 3416? Charter? Thanks!
post #408 of 2061 Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 PM

I have both a DCT6416 & DCT3416 (my DCH3416 from eBay is in UPS' hands).
I routinely turn off both boxes when not in use and do NOT hear the sound of spinning HDDs. Now that I have removed my TiVoBasic DVR whose drive spins constantly I actually have silence when the system shuts off (that is as soon as the DLP fan shuts off).
post #409 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 AM

I have not been able to get the IR port working correctly with my Niles IR repeater hub. I notice in the setup menu D11 it indicated that IR is both active and connected, however under Menu - cable box setup - configuration it says IR is off.

Any ideas ?

TIA
post #410 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 01:27 AM

The OPTIMAL STEREO setting is needed primarily for setting the audio level going into the Ch3/4 RF modulator so that the TV audio demodulator can properly extract the subcarrier containing the difference audio (L-R). The main audio channel carries L+R matrixed audio (not to be confused with MATRIXed surround audio, a different concept totally). HTH Doc_Chiron
post #411 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 AM

The DCT/DCH3416 STBs may or may not have NTSC tuners, but the more important issue is that there are NO MPEG2 encoders in these STBs, while the DCT/DCH64xx boxes do have the MPEG2 encoders. Now with almost ubiquitous usage of analog/digital simulcast by COMCAST, TimeWarner, and Charter et. al. both the 34xx and 64xx STBs due to caleco mapping are tuneable only to digital channels. In my area there is only one analog channel tuneable (95? or 99?).
The IEEE1394 outputs contain only the MPEG2 transport stream as sent to the STB by the head end and is the same regardless of whether the program is being watched "live" or played back from the DVR.
BTW: These boxes are NEVER showing the signal as directly received but always include the HDD in the path; that's why the signal is not corrupted in stunt modes (ie pause, ff, rew, etc).
When setting the STB to STANDBY (there is no OFF other than unplugged) followed by OK/Select (within 2 sec) you are taken to the DIAGNOSTIC MENU not the SETUP MENU. That menu is arrived at by pressing MENU any time while in STANDBY.
Also, be aware that pressing INFO while in STANDY displays the SUBTITLE ON/OFF and LANGUAGE settings that apparently have NO effect with the I-Guide installed. say beware because pressing various arrow keys will result in strange characters in the STB front panel display. (Must be some secret techie world known only to Motorola or a few priveleged folk. (Please, I wanna' know, please....) Enough for now... Doc_Chiron
post #412 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nomad_ View Post

However, my question is this. The DCH6416 also has an eSATA port on it. If they ever decide to open up a port to accept an external hard drive, and they decide to use the eSATA port rather than the USB port for it. Will I be able to hook my USB external Hard Drive up to an eSATA port somehow? An adapter? A new eSATA cable for my currently USB hard drive? Is this possible or will I have to go buy an eSATA external hard drive?

Thanks for any help here guys.

No one knows the answer to this?
post #413 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_chiron View Post

The DCT/DCH3416 STBs may or may not have NTSC tuners

34xx series does not have NTSC at all - All digital
Here's the specs etc

http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...400_settop.asp

Quote:

The IEEE1394 outputs contain only the MPEG2 transport stream as sent to the STB by the head end and is the same regardless of whether the program is being watched "live" or played back from the DVR.

The IEEE1394 does not support overlays - as such you won't see the guide at all in this format. While this port was mandated by the FCC, given the MPAA's ZEALOUS guarding of digital signal it was pretty much doomed from the start. While it works it's the least supported output of them all, especially with HDMI quickly becoming the digital connection of choice.

Quote:

When setting the STB to STANDBY (there is no OFF other than unplugged) followed by OK/Select (within 2 sec) you are taken to the DIAGNOSTIC MENU not the SETUP MENU. That menu is arrived at by pressing MENU any time while in STANDBY.

Also, be aware that pressing INFO while in STANDY displays the SUBTITLE ON/OFF and LANGUAGE settings that apparently have NO effect with the I-Guide installed. say beware because pressing various arrow keys will result in strange characters in the STB front panel display. (Must be some secret techie world known only to Motorola or a few priveleged folk. (Please, I wanna' know, please....) Enough for now... Doc_Chiron

[/quote]

What your seeing are the Coded information for what options are there - usually the arrow presses are directly related to either a Power/Menu or Power/Select (sometimes even Power/Info)

Interestingly enough the menu sometimes won't show up in all resolutions - particuarly if a TV won't support that resolution - though CHANNELS will even if the resolution isn't supported - just because of the output - SD outputs (RF, RCA and S-vid) are always 480i - but if the box is on 1080, you'll still see everything on these outputs, except for the menus.

Sometimes it won't work correctly outside of the 480i resolution - but when set to the right resolution you should see the full screen menu

When you first do a power/menu you'll see your TV Type (aspect ratio)
if you drop down you'll get your YPbPr Output (Resolution) - if you know what order it is and how to translate the sometimes awkward LCD characters on the box you can change settings even when you can't see the menu.

Other common codes are

DL (followed by a circling line)
This occurs when the box is Downloading firmware - the L is lower case so it's often incorrectly thought to be D1

FLASH (this is very short)
This occurs whenever something overwrites the flash memory - usually an upgrade or complete re-write of the firmwares on the box.

Power/Select gives the diagnostics (D01 - D18 on most of the boxes covered here) Again, compared to what's on the screen it's not much, but it's enough for a warehouse tech or repair tech to get a get the box on a viewable resolution or check for several major issues

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #414 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock999 View Post

I have not been able to get the IR port working correctly with my Niles IR repeater hub. I notice in the setup menu D11 it indicated that IR is both active and connected, however under Menu - cable box setup - configuration it says IR is off.

Any ideas ?

TIA

are you setting up an emitter on the front of the box or plugging directly into the IR Blaster port on the back?

post #415 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrowSTL View Post

I have the 3416 and when I use OnDemand with Charter STL I see a vertical green bar on the right hand side of the screen. I am using HDMI output to a Olevia 437V. I switched to component last night and the green bar vanished. Any ideas what is bad? TV? 3416? Charter? Thanks!

Powercycle your DVR and try the HDMI output again -

What resolution are/where you using?

post #416 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctflora View Post

CharterJames:
Another question about the UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 remote. In the battery compartment, above the battery, is a 4-pin connector. There's an awesome little program on the Universal Remotes website (see below) called "Upgrade Link2" that looks like it'd be pretty easy to program the remote (vis-a-vis the unused ABCD buttons and the 30sec fast forward).

The only problem is that I have no idea what cable I need to connect it! I don't know what the pin-outs are either, or I'd make my own cable. Do you have one of these cables lying around?

Thanks for all the info you have put up, here, by the way. I especially appreciate the heads-ups for free preview channels!

I've got the program and the little device that connects to computer VIA usb, unfortunately for some reason the default profiles won't work - I've had no luck reprogramming any of the major charter remotes with it

I got the program and device by writing to Universal Remotes - I got lucky and the sales person sent me one

post #417 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Any ideas ?

TIA

Could someone tell me what I would use the IR port for. What can I do with it? I think I have an IR cable that came with a TV that had Channel Guide on it. Using that I could use the IR to control the VCR to auto turn on select channel record and shut off.
post #418 of 2061 Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Question for you 6416 owners that have an AV reciever included in your setup.

I'm thinking about picking up a Sony STR-DG810 AV Receiver, 3 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I'd like to use the TV speakers for casual TV viewing and the 810 for sound for sports/movies etc.
If I hook up the 6416 to 810 then to the TV via HDMI and ALSO hook up the component out video/optical audio from the 6416 directly to the TV avoiding the 810 all together.
Will the 6416 pass the signals out via component if the power on the 810(HDMI) is OFF? If so this would allow me to use the TV speakers when on the component input and the reciever for sound using my HDMI input.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek
post #419 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 AM

I need help please.

I just picked up the 3416 box today. I have Charter cable in St Louis. My problem is there are a few channels that seem to be moved around while using this box. For example Headline News has always been channel 39. The built in program guide even lists the channel as Headline News - except it's not Headline News - It's displaying my local NBC affiliate's HD channel instead. And when I go to the channel that the HD NBC is supposed to be on - it has a message saying "channel will arrive shortly" or something like that. There are several channels I can't get anymore - they all show that same message. And then there are like 5 channels that are being replaced with other channels in their place, but the on screen guide (correctly) lists the channels that should be there - but another channel is actually being played instead. Does this make sense?

This becomes a real problem because I can't set the DVR to record a show if the guide thinks it's supposed to be something else.
post #420 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:

I have not been able to get the IR port working correctly with my Niles IR repeater hub. I notice in the setup menu D11 it indicated that IR is both active and connected, however under Menu - cable box setup - configuration it says IR is off. Any ideas ? TIA

Yes I do. Under MENU, SETUP, CABLE BOX SETUP is referring to the IR receiver on the front of the STB itself (catches your remote's signals) while D11 is referring to the IR blaster transmitter on the rear.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page