Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

34xx series does not have NTSC at all - All digital Here's the specs etc...

There is a difference between whether the tuner chipset has NTSC demodulation capability built-in, and whether it is used in the particular STB design. I'm saying that I do not know (or care) if the NTSC VIDEO and FM AUDIO demod circuit is present, but that the more important point is they were able to leave out the inefficient MPEG2 encoders that in the DCx-64xx boxes is required prior to recording (or even just viewing) ANALOG channels when (b4 ADS) the headend channel map make them available for tuning.
Quote:

The IEEE1394 does not support overlays - as such you won't see the guide at all in this format.

My workaround for this is to use the analog LRaud/Svid STB outputs from both my DCT6416 & my DCT3416 on the otherwise unused HDTV analog INPUTs 1&2. That way I can use SPLIT (aka POP) to watch the STB-generated overlay video on the right hand display which does not allow DIGITAL inputs to be viewed anyway.
BTW: I use the HDTV to control the copying of MPEG2 transport streams from the STB to my AVHD firewire drives (2-40GB, 1-80GB, 1-160GB) for playback on my other IEEE1394 equipped sets! (Mitsu WD-52631 & WD-65731). Otherwise I use the HDMI-1 & 2 feeds from the STBs for regular viewing.
Quote:

While this port was mandated by the FCC, given the MPAA's ZEALOUS guarding of digital signalS it was pretty much doomed from the start.

Doomed may be an appropriate term for the D-VHS HD/SD/SVID/VID format due to the access limitations of tape vs optical disks or HDDs. (Be sure to rewind that Netlix DVD b4 you return it!)
The mandate was & is still required to allow watching / recording the transport streams unimpeded by STB conversions.
FWIW: The IEEE1394 ports output ABC-HD, FOX-HD, & ESPN-HD1&2 in their native 720P MPEG2 transport stream format, while outputting most other HD program sources in their 1080i transport stream automatically (you cannot change that). They are 5C encrypted, so they can be recorded on D-VHS, AVHD (Indigita) drives and MACs & PCs equipped with appropriate ports and software. But the PC cannot display them itself as only the HDTV has the necessary 5C decoding ability.
Quote:

While it works it's the least supported output of them all, especially with HDMI quickly becoming the digital connection of choice.

Actually, the HDMI STB digital video & digital audio output can be captured on a Black Magic Designs PCI card equipped with an HDMI input & HDMI output ports. (~$400USD).
Quote:

What you ARE seeing are the Coded information for what options are there - usually the arrow presses are directly related to either a Power/Menu or Power/Select (sometimes even Power/Info).
Interestingly enough the menu sometimes won't show up in all resolutions - particuarly if a TV won't support that resolution - though CHANNELS will even if the resolution isn't supported - just because of the output - SD outputs (RF, RCA and S-vid) are always 480i - but if the box is on 1080, you'll still see everything on these outputs, except for the menus.
Sometimes it won't work correctly outside of the 480i resolution - but when set to the right resolution you should see the full screen menu.

I'll have to view the STB analog outputs next time i play with POWER-OFF, INFO to see what you mean.
Quote:

When you first do a power/menu you'll see your TV Type (aspect ratio), if you drop down you'll get your YPbPr [and HDMI or DVI] Output (Resolution) - if you know what order it is and how to translate the sometimes awkward LCD characters on the box you can change settings even when you can't see the menu.

I wonder why the POWER-OFF, MENU and POWER-OFF, OK/Select video is visible on my HDTV HDMI input, but not the POWER-OFF, INFO screen?
Quote:

Other common codes are
DL (followed by a circling line) This occurs when the box is Downloading firmware - the L is lower case so it's often incorrectly thought to be D1
FLASH (this is very short) This occurs whenever something overwrites the flash memory - usually an upgrade or complete re-write of the firmwares on the box.

Don't forget the ever annoying EAS (Emergency Alert System - I miss the old Conalrad system - that was even before the Emergency Broadcast System).
Those mandatory weekly and monthly tests cause ALL boxes (even on standby) to UNMUTE and switch to a specific channel common to both analog and digital receivers so folk with analog or digital STBs can be reached (Can you believe they switch to QVC here in LA? They used to switch to ch35the oficial LA City channel. Why QVC? Ah, it must be the switchover from Comcast to TWC.) (no STB, no warning? What does Charter do for folk w/o a STB?)
Quote:

Power/Select gives the diagnostics (D01 - D18 on most of the boxes covered here) Again, compared to what's on the screen it's not much, but it's enough for a warehouse tech or repair tech to get a get the box on a viewable resolution or check for several major issues

My favorite is D06. Show channel details for tuner 1 & tuner 2 (lets you figure out which is in the foreground and which is in the background). I use it to figure out the channel mapping between cable channel frequencies and STB channel numbers. And I get to figure out how many SD & HD programs are crammed together. All 48 Music Choice signals plus 4 SD video programs are squeezed into one 6MHz 256-QAM digital channel. Sometimes over a dozen SD programs are shoe-horned into one channel, while at most 4 HD programs (usually just 3) are force-fit into one channel.
BTW: That squeezing is why the MSOs would love to dump the analog channels, but those STB-less subscribers are important enough to keep, so we're getting switched-digital-video instead, whoopie!
END of RANT Be well. Doc_Chiron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Could someone tell me what I would use the IR port for. What can I do with it? I think I have an IR cable that came with a TV that had Channel Guide on it. Using that I could use the IR to control the VCR to auto turn on select channel record and shut off.

TiVo has an option for ARCHIVING recorded programs to a VCR or DVDR. The recorder's LINE INPUT is connected to an analog TiVo output set (e.g. Svid+LRaud). The TiVo does NOT turn the recorder ON or OFF, but only sends RECORD and STOP (maybe PAUSE too) and will record as many programs as you have selected AND will fit on your media dependant on the manually set recording quality mode.
My guess is that Moto wanted to be sure the MSOs guide software could offer that feature if they wanted to, but they don't - AFAIK.
post #423 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLaidEPeas View Post

I need help please.
This becomes a real problem because I can't set the DVR to record a show if the guide thinks it's supposed to be something else.

IIRC: Use the SEARCH A-Z feature to find your desired program and set it to record without regard to the channel it displays. Hopefully, when the time comes to record the program, the STB will select the correct channel to record. If NOT, we can say we tried!!
HTH Doc_Chiron
post #424 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nomad_ View Post

I'm with Charter and I currently have both the Moxi box and the new DCH6416. I also have a couple of nice 750 GB external hard drives. I hooked one of them to the Moxi and it works great but unfortunately I noticed that they have not opened up the USB ports on the DCH6416 for use of an external hard drive. About all the USB port is good for is powering something.

However, my question is this. The DCH6416 also has an eSATA port on it. If they ever decide to open up a port to accept an external hard drive, and they decide to use the eSATA port rather than the USB port for it. Will I be able to hook my USB external Hard Drive up to an eSATA port somehow? An adapter? A new eSATA cable for my currently USB hard drive? Is this possible or will I have to go buy an eSATA external hard drive?

Thanks for any help here guys.

There are adapters to convert SATA to IDE and IDE to USB... so presumably there would probably be some sort of adapter, but you're probably going to have to look at places like http://www.newegg.com and there's no 100% sure chance it will work because boxes have limited compatibility - unlike computers you can't write drivers for every box type out there, so there may be certain drives, adapters etc that simply won't work with a cable receivers limited compatibility.

Worst case scenerio you should be able to open up your USB hard drive and see if it's SATA or not... chances are if it's SATA you can put it into a eSATA case.

*************NOTE********************
just be warned that opening up your External USB Hd, if it's not a case+Hd will probably void any remaining warranty on your External USB. - Not that silly things like warranties ever stop me from opening up my electronics, but for those who are afraid they will break it or are in any way skittish about such things, you may want to think twice before doing it.

As for me ~I Void Warranties~

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #425 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_chiron View Post

IIRC: Use the SEARCH A-Z feature to find your desired program and set it to record without regard to the channel it displays. Hopefully, when the time comes to record the program, the STB will select the correct channel to record. If NOT, we can say we tried!!
HTH Doc_Chiron

If you do a manual recording it should pretty much always work - it's series that A24 really tends to go FUBAR on ...

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #426 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

TiVo has an option for ARCHIVING recorded programs to a VCR or DVDR. The recorder's LINE INPUT is connected to an analog TiVo output set (e.g. Svid+LRaud). The TiVo does NOT turn the recorder ON or OFF, but only sends RECORD and STOP (maybe PAUSE too) and will record as many programs as you have selected AND will fit on your media dependant on the manually set recording quality mode.
My guess is that Moto wanted to be sure the MSOs guide software could offer that feature if they wanted to, but they don't - AFAIK.

There's no automatic Record / Stop / Pause option - but essentually you get the same basic ability by outputting your RCA, RF or S-vid to a VCR or DVDR and playing it while recording on the other.

I'm assuming that while your archiving all of the TIVO's outputs are showing the same thing ...

now if either (or both) would allow you to enter an archive mode where you could assign different Tuners to different outputs (archive recorded programming on analog while watching something else on HDMI...) THAT would be sweet!

post #427 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Doomed may be an appropriate term for the D-VHS HD/SD/SVID/VID format due to the access limitations of tape vs optical disks or HDDs. (Be sure to rewind that Netlix DVD b4 you return it!)

Pretty much, especially since the majority of high end users now have DVD recorders and at least half of them have the knowledge to rip encrypted dvd video.

Quote:

The mandate was & is still required to allow watching / recording the transport streams unimpeded by STB conversions.
FWIW: The IEEE1394 ports output ABC-HD, FOX-HD, & ESPN-HD1&2 in their native 720P MPEG2 transport stream format, while outputting most other HD program sources in their 1080i transport stream automatically (you cannot change that). They are 5C encrypted, so they can be recorded on D-VHS, AVHD (Indigita) drives and MACs & PCs equipped with appropriate ports and software. But the PC cannot display them itself as only the HDTV has the necessary 5C decoding ability.

Actually, the HDMI STB digital video & digital audio output can be captured on a Black Magic Designs PCI card equipped with an HDMI input & HDMI output ports. (~$400USD).

Yep, HDMI is the way to go whenever possible. 5c really wrecked havoc on pc users wanting to use firewire for this home media computers.

Of course the other (PC) alternative is the Card enabled tuners, which so far I've only seen with ATI (and of course require Vista...) Dunno if MAC will see this capability, I would suspect so and of course linux users will hack their way in

Quote:

I wonder why the POWER-OFF, MENU and POWER-OFF, OK/Select video is visible on my HDTV HDMI input, but not the POWER-OFF, INFO screen?

Power/Info doesn't have a screen, it's really just a shortcut to the Captioning options in the Power/Menu.

Ironically on most these boxes the captoining never seems to work correctly anyway - it's almost always better to use the TV's captoining options.

Quote:

Don't forget the ever annoying EAS (Emergency Alert System - I miss the old Conalrad system - that was even before the Emergency Broadcast System).
Those mandatory weekly and monthly tests cause ALL boxes (even on standby) to UNMUTE and switch to a specific channel common to both analog and digital receivers so folk with analog or digital STBs can be reached (Can you believe they switch to QVC here in LA? They used to switch to ch35the oficial LA City channel. Why QVC? Ah, it must be the switchover from Comcast to TWC.) (no STB, no warning? What does Charter do for folk w/o a STB?)

Without STB - pretty much nothing - but that will change with the migration to digital (since at that point all digital tuners should be able to receive the force tune commands.

EAS can be a nasty piece of work and it's a pain in the butt - here they used Trinity Broadcasting - a Christian faith network... so you can imagine the complaints... one moment you're watching your movie or whatever the next you're seeing some televangelist while hearing funky audio... We finally got that changed to the local CBS affaliate, but it's still annoying.

I remember when I was in Training at Motorola's HQ in Horsham PA... the instructor was showing us how to configure EAS and giving us a warning about the force tune... Apparently a disgruntled employee had reset it just before quitting so that it would force tune to the Playboy network... then set up for EAS for trip at 8pm the evening after he quit. So you can imagine a cable system with EVERYONE force tuned to Playboy... and a headend scrambling to figure out how to turn off EAS....

Quote:

My favorite is D06. Show channel details for tuner 1 & tuner 2 (lets you figure out which is in the foreground and which is in the background). I use it to figure out the channel mapping between cable channel frequencies and STB channel numbers. And I get to figure out how many SD & HD programs are crammed together. All 48 Music Choice signals plus 4 SD video programs are squeezed into one 6MHz 256-QAM digital channel. Sometimes over a dozen SD programs are shoe-horned into one channel, while at most 4 HD programs (usually just 3) are force-fit into one channel.
BTW: That squeezing is why the MSOs would love to dump the analog channels, but those STB-less subscribers are important enough to keep, so we're getting switched-digital-video instead, whoopie!
END of RANT Be well. Doc_Chiron

Yep - you can get 10 SD Digitals into the space of 1 analog pretty nicely... more if there's not as much bandwidth used (for example - Music choices Classified channels etc) 3 to 4 HDs is pretty much average - 4 only if there's not as much bandwidth usage (HD Nets, Discovery etc take more bandwidth than locals usually)

D06 also gives you the CI flags at the bottom - this is handy to know if you ever get a Card Validation failure on a DCH! (because only the channels with a CCI value other than Copy Freely - 0x00 - will show up properly)

post #428 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Could someone tell me what I would use the IR port for. What can I do with it? I think I have an IR cable that came with a TV that had Channel Guide on it. Using that I could use the IR to control the VCR to auto turn on select channel record and shut off.

If it's enabled the IR port is supposed to send command to VCRs to tell them to turn on, record, turn off etc. However I've not really seen any options in the guide to set up the port for a specific make/model of VCR and I know the IR codes are different for different models so I don't know if anyone's really ever successfully used the IR (output) port on a DCT or DCH.

Many VCRs and Pre Series III Tivos used IR blasters to do the opposite - control the cable box through the Tivo or VCR. Most Tivo users opted to use direct Serial connection on older DCTs, however as of the DCT5200 they did away with serial ports on the boxes. The new replacement for the 2500 /2000 series has a serial option - but only by plugging in a special adapter.

Most people today if they use an IR blaster will use it with some sort or RF remote or IR remote repeater, these will usually transmit using Radio Frequency (RF) to a base station, which will connect to small IR blasters you place on each component (which is what I'm assuming the Niles system is being used for here) - in the case of an IR remote repeater, you'll have an infrared (IR) port located somewhere near the TV and the data is sent down a cable to a base station (instead of wireless Radio Frequency)

RF tends to be cheaper, but is suspect to interfearance and requires the usage of a special remote. IR systems can channel the commands from the origional remote(s) and set them to the components which are usually stored someplace out of sight like in a media closet. IR's probably a little more user friendly once it's set up.

There are also IR blasters you can find online that allow computers to control common remote controlled objects.

post #429 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauitime View Post

Well I got them to come out and run new cable out to the street.. bad thing is they're not coming until the 28th!! So now it is layin across the road getting run over for almost 3 weeks.. The road is not a real busy road but still,, do you think that will ruin the cable and if so should I ask them to check it first?

Well the good news is what you have now is a Temp Drop - it's generally a strong enough cable to withstand a few months of bad treatment - so long as no one chops it with a lawnmower etc (cars usually don't do so much damage)

Once the drop crew (I'm assuming this line will get buried) gets there they usually replace the temp line with a fresh one. If at all possible I recommend asking if they can put the line in conduit - this way if the drop ever has to be re-run it just needs to be fished through the conduit!

post #430 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:

are you setting up an emitter on the front of the box or plugging directly into the IR Blaster port on the back?

I connected the phono mini-plug in the back to the Niles IR repeater.
Using the same type of cables that works for my AVR receiver.

regards;

Felipe
post #431 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock999 View Post

I connected the phono mini-plug in the back to the Niles IR repeater.
Using the same type of cables that works for my AVR receiver.

regards;

Felipe

k, and in positioning the IR cable to the front of the DCT / DCH - where is it placed? Generally on the DCTs it will be on the right hand side of the LCD display - usually if you're about 2 inches from the front of it you can see the "eye" for it.

post #432 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:

k, and in positioning the IR cable to the front of the DCT / DCH - where is it placed? Generally on the DCTs it will be on the right hand side of the LCD display - usually if you're about 2 inches from the front of it you can see the "eye" for it.

Nothing in the front of the DCT...

This is what I have which is made by Niles see last page for diagram:
http://www.jobsitesystems.com/images...I_cutsheet.pdf

I have the IR receiver mounted in my cabinet, from there to the IR-CB2 hub.
I have 1 mouse emmiter going to my TV set, another one to the dvd both pasted to the front of the respective device in the IR window. Then to my Onkyo AVR is have a direct cable (mini-phono to min-phono) going to the back of the receiver, nothing in the front. This transmits the IR signal directly to the AVR electrically over the cable and it works.

This is the same type of setup I presume will work with the DCT6412v3. I connected a cable between the back of the DCT to the IR-CB2 hub. However it doesn't appear to work and also under cable box setup - configuration it says IR is inactive (under the "ok/Select" setup screens it shows up as enabled/active).

Perhaps my assumption is not correct that this will work in place of a mouse ir-emitter. I can add that if it works, but it would just be cleaner to have the back connection only. Also I am confused about the VCR control, why would you care about a VCR when you have a DCT DVR ?

thanks...

redrock...
post #433 of 2061 Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have 1 mouse emmiter going to my TV set, another one to the dvd both pasted to the front of the respective device in the IR window. Then to my Onkyo AVR is have a direct cable (mini-phono to min-phono) going to the back of the receiver, nothing in the front. This transmits the IR signal directly to the AVR electrically over the cable and it works.

This is the same type of setup I presume will work with the DCT6412v3. I connected a cable between the back of the DCT to the IR-CB2 hub. However it doesn't appear to work and also under cable box setup - configuration it says IR is inactive (under the "ok/Select" setup screens it shows up as enabled/active).

Perhaps my assumption is not correct that this will work in place of a mouse ir-emitter. I can add that if it works, but it would just be cleaner to have the back connection only. Also I am confused about the VCR control, why would you care about a VCR when you have a DCT DVR ?

thanks...

redrock...

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you're going to need the ir-emitter on the Moto box. I agree that the ir-blaster on the back would be cleaner/better but it's not enabled & only the cable company can enable it (which sorry to say, chances are they're not going to do it for you ).

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #434 of 2061 Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Tried searching this thread for the answer with no luck.

Here is my set-up:

- 6416III > HDMI > Onkyo TX-SR875 > HDMI > Panasonic PT-AE2000U

By powering off and pressing MENU, my 6416 is set to 1080i out and 4:3 set to OFF.

My Onkyo says NO SIGNAL. I tried by-passing the Onkyo and ran HDMI directly to the AE2000U. Still no signal.

This works:

- 6416 > Component/Optical > 875 > HDMI > AE2000U.

Is there a setting that I am missing on the 6416 so that the HDMI port is "on". I called Shaw Cable (Calgary) and they said there was nothing on their end that they can do.

I may take the 6416 into Shaw to see if they can test the HDMI port. I have tried new HDMI cables with the same result.

I thought their might be something between the 875 and 6416, but ruled that out when running HDMI direct to FP did not work.
post #435 of 2061 Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM

I've just gotten a Comcast Motorola 3412Tivo DVR and aside from the extremely slow response it works OK. However, when paging down a list of shows in the record by channel / time list, it will page down a screen full, then a couple of seconds later jump back one line. This is very annoying.

They're sending a tech out tomorrow, but has anyone seen this?
post #436 of 2061 Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 243
CharterJames (and others in the know),

I have been reading more and more about MoCA and it seems pretty exciting. Does Charter have any plans to truly implement this? Simply being able to watch a movie in one room, recorded on a DVR in another room would be great. MoxiMate never made it to my area, but I would like to think some day this concept would be a reality for the rest of us. It seems like that would be only the tip of the iceberg and that the cablecos would really have a huge jump on the DBS boys with all that could be offered with this kind on inter-connectivity in the home. What's the inside scoop? Or is this another one of those things that Motorola and others are offering, but the reality of MSOs providing is another story?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #437 of 2061 Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Doc or CharterJames would you guys take a stab at my question please.
Thanks, Derek

Question for you 6416 owners that have an AV reciever included in your setup.

I'm thinking about picking up a Sony STR-DG810 AV Receiver, 3 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I'd like to use the TV speakers for casual TV viewing(wife/kids) and the 810 for sound for sports/movies etc.
If I hook up the 6416 to 810 via HDMI then to the TV via HDMI and ALSO hook up the component out video/optical audio from the 6416 directly to the TV avoiding the 810 all together.
Will the 6416 pass the signals out via component if the power on the 810(HDMI) is OFF? I know for a fact the 810 will not pass any signals while its powered off. If the 6416 will do that it would allow me to use the TV speakers when on the component input and the reciever for sound using my HDMI input on the TV and I and the wife/kids would be happy.
Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE I just experimented with it and I hooked up both the component and HDMI cables to the TV and it outputs to both at the same time so I can switch between the 2 inputs on my TV. Just FYI for anyone looking to do the same type setup I was looking for.
post #438 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks...

redrock...

I'd stick to having the direct mouse emitter on the front of the DCT/DCH box - the port in the back is for the Cable box to control other boxes as I understand it - but I've not seen anything for setting up this feature (I know the port is active in my system)

I've used the mouse emitter types with a Universal Remotes RF w/ir blaster and that worked quite well.

post #439 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCARalph View Post

I've just gotten a Comcast Motorola 3412Tivo DVR and aside from the extremely slow response it works OK. However, when paging down a list of shows in the record by channel / time list, it will page down a screen full, then a couple of seconds later jump back one line. This is very annoying.

They're sending a tech out tomorrow, but has anyone seen this?

That is very odd, usually Page Up/Down works pretty quick - give the box a power cycle and see if it persist after reload - hopefully it's just a bad load of guide data

post #440 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnrol View Post

Tried searching this thread for the answer with no luck.

Here is my set-up:

- 6416III > HDMI > Onkyo TX-SR875 > HDMI > Panasonic PT-AE2000U

By powering off and pressing MENU, my 6416 is set to 1080i out and 4:3 set to OFF.

My Onkyo says NO SIGNAL. I tried by-passing the Onkyo and ran HDMI directly to the AE2000U. Still no signal.

This works:

- 6416 > Component/Optical > 875 > HDMI > AE2000U.

Is there a setting that I am missing on the 6416 so that the HDMI port is "on". I called Shaw Cable (Calgary) and they said there was nothing on their end that they can do.

I may take the 6416 into Shaw to see if they can test the HDMI port. I have tried new HDMI cables with the same result.

I thought their might be something between the 875 and 6416, but ruled that out when running HDMI direct to FP did not work.

(Added in edit -) When you Try the direct connection to the TV - you may have to powercycle the Box & the TV to get the devices to sync up.

Now try the old configuration again - again, you may have to power cycle each device in line.

I know that HDMI and DVI sometimes take a powercycle to "sync" and get the encryption handshake. If you're connecting through some sort of switching device and it doesn't carry over the proper handshake it won't allow a picture because it can't verify digital encryption (this happens more to DVI than HDMI, but it still happens.)

post #441 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

CharterJames (and others in the know),

I have been reading more and more about MoCA and it seems pretty exciting. Does Charter have any plans to truly implement this? Simply being able to watch a movie in one room, recorded on a DVR in another room would be great. MoxiMate never made it to my area, but I would like to think some day this concept would be a reality for the rest of us. It seems like that would be only the tip of the iceberg and that the cablecos would really have a huge jump on the DBS boys with all that could be offered with this kind on inter-connectivity in the home. What's the inside scoop? Or is this another one of those things that Motorola and others are offering, but the reality of MSOs providing is another story?

If it works the way it's supposed to, I think we'll pretty much have to
With an OCAP world unfolding before us, I think it will become less of what the Cable Companies are willing to allow and more of what the Hardware is capabile of doing and what it's designed to work with - For example, I think some companies (TIVO, DIGEO) are probably going to find a way to keep their data between their equipment if at all possible... Personally I hope not... as one way or another I'd like to use smaller boxes (like a DCH 200) in my bedrooms and just one good DVR... Thought now that I think of it I'd probably want to seperate the kid's rooms so I don't tie up the main DVR with cartoons and wrestling *L*

post #442 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM

I tried power on/off and no change. I'm moving this over to the Comcast Tivo thread where I should have been in the first place. Thanks
post #443 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCARalph View Post

I tried power on/off and no change. I'm moving this over to the Comcast Tivo thread where I should have been in the first place. Thanks

Is your 3416 running a TIVO interfact or the TV Guide I-Guide - if your running a DCT or DCH 3416 you're actually in the right place

If powercycling didn't resolve it, a cold initialization would wipe and repload the firmware applications - this can be done from billing or in a special process called a "three finger salute" I don't post that one publicly as it could be used by kids to bypass the Parential Control Pins (Cold Init will wipe everything except for DVR settings and programming)

PM me if you are running the TV Guide interface and I'll tell you how to completely wipe the box

TV Guide's interface should look like this

http://www.i-guide.tv/

post #444 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 AM

I've got a Pioneer plasma PDP-6010FD and am trying to set-up the Comcast/Motorola cablebox so that I get the best possible picture.

In the HDMI advanced settings in the Motorola DCH-3416 I have the choice of two color spaces: YCC and RGB.

Does it matter which is selected, or does the Pio figure what signal it's getting and somehow adjust automatically?
post #445 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Hi I posted the following a while back:

"Anyone have these issues and if so is there a fix?

HDTV (channel 770) will occasionally record a black screen instead of the program.

HD channels freeze and you have to either change to a SDTV channel and then back to the HD channel to clear or reset/powercycle the unit.

I've spoken with Charter and they've had me reset the unit and said that they would sent out a new unit if the issue presists. I'm thinking this will be a firmware or software issue. Any suggestions?"

I have since encountered the receiver doing the same on all channels. For instance, I was watching a program on Showtime in standard definition and it was time to record another one of my programs on one of the HBO's(standard defintion). The Showtime program froze. I checked to see if the HBO progam was recording ok and it was. So I managed to get my showtime program unfrozen by changing the channels and then going back. Finished watcing my program and then checked the HBO program. Guess what it froze at the time that I had managed to unfreeze the showtime program.

I had Charter come out and check the lines and they found no issue. They then brought me out another Motorola this week and now it's doing the same stuff. It's gotten to the point where I may get my programs successfully recorded maybe 70% of the time. I never had this much trouble out of a DVR before. Anyone having last suggestions before I give up and go back to satellite?
post #446 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSharrow View Post

I've got a Pioneer plasma PDP-6010FD and am trying to set-up the Comcast/Motorola cablebox so that I get the best possible picture.

In the HDMI advanced settings in the Motorola DCH-3416 I have the choice of two color spaces: YCC and RGB.

Does it matter which is selected, or does the Pio figure what signal it's getting and somehow adjust automatically?

Most people never change that setting and are happy - me I always recommend trying it a while on the different settings and keep it a while - see what others think - usually you'll find one that's a preference - I always leave the choice of what's best to those who are actually watching / listening to it in the case of settings

post #447 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjack99 View Post

Hi I posted the following a while back:

"Anyone have these issues and if so is there a fix?

HDTV (channel 770) will occasionally record a black screen instead of the program.

Recording a black screen on a channel happens occasionally when there's either duplicate programming on another channel or a signal issue occuring on the channel. I've had this occur on HD channels and more rarely on Analog (Dexter on Showtime HD and Dr Who on Sci-Fi) - generally if it's a duplicate programming issue you can get around it by doing manual recordings instead of a series or modifying your series to record on all channels with duplicates and deleting duplicates and screwups. - This is a software issue with the Guide and should be resolved next version (A25)

If it's a signal issue it will require a technician to check the signal.

Quote:

HD channels freeze and you have to either change to a SDTV channel and then back to the HD channel to clear or reset/powercycle the unit.

A freeze frame (without pausing) on a digital picture is usually an indication of signal loss, usually it comes back with a channel up or channel down - however it it consistently happens on one channel for all of the same box type (usually it will only affect either the 64xx dvrs or the Moxi, not both at teh same time) it can be resolved by a system admin like me - PM or email me (first name.last name @ chartercom.com) with your name, address and phone number as it appears in our billing systems and I should be able to locate someone who might be able to help you.

Quote:

I've spoken with Charter and they've had me reset the unit and said that they would sent out a new unit if the issue presists. I'm thinking this will be a firmware or software issue. Any suggestions?"

power-cycling will clear memory issues (frequent cause of VOD errors) and re-load guide data (another common cause of errors) Chances are good if this didn't fix it you're probably experiencing a signal issue a may require a service call.

Quote:

I have since encountered the receiver doing the same on all channels. For instance, I was watching a program on Showtime in standard definition and it was time to record another one of my programs on one of the HBO's(standard defintion). The Showtime program froze. I checked to see if the HBO progam was recording ok and it was. So I managed to get my showtime program unfrozen by changing the channels and then going back. Finished watcing my program and then checked the HBO program. Guess what it froze at the time that I had managed to unfreeze the showtime program.

Generally it will stop and pause for the menu options to switch tuner (since your switching to the secondary tuner to view what you're recording then back to the primary for "live viewing" - assuming you don't have a tuner swap button programmed - usually unless you're using a SWAP type feature the box will prompt you to switch tuners when it needs to change the channel to record on both tuners. Of course this is only normal if both tuners are in usage by the box - in your case you were recording on one tuner - and switched to the same program and back with the other tuner - this should not have caused any pausing other than the usual few seconds to tune to another channel.

Quote:

I had Charter come out and check the lines and they found no issue. They then brought me out another Motorola this week and now it's doing the same stuff. It's gotten to the point where I may get my programs successfully recorded maybe 70% of the time. I never had this much trouble out of a DVR before. Anyone having last suggestions before I give up and go back to satellite?

The pauses & freezes are amost always signal issues, though the black screen recordings can be a guide issue - the big problem is most techs tend to only think in terms of not enough signal when quite frequently this can be caused by too much signal.

Hit me with your info and I'll see if I can get a different set of eyes on it, because this person is defintely missing something - you also may have better luck taking it up with the local Customer Service Manager or Tech Ops Manager - they are usually in a position to ensure it's escalated if the first tech doesn't resolve it (whereas the call centers just put in another trouble call and leave it up to field personnel to figure out if it's repeat issue)

If the issue with the recording cannot be bypassed or resolved by service calls, you may find a BMC9012 Moxi DVR might give you better recording performance. IMHO both DVRs have their flaws - the Moxi has lower grade tuners so the picture isn't as good on LCDs and Plasmas, the 34xx /64xx has guide issues (which hopefully will be resolved with the new version)

post #448 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Hi again. My 6414 wont let me delete one of my programs. It seems to get confused whenever I try to hit the record button (on the remote) whilst the program is a bit behind and not in actual real time. This was the case for the problem program. After this recording the DVR showed 100% full (incorrectly) and didn't record any programs after the false full declaration. When I click to delete the program it gives me an error which states that the program is running and can't be deleted. This is after I deleted a few programs and it already reset to the proper percentage, turned it on and off several times, etc.

I imagine a full reset is in order, however, unlike the MOXI box, there appears to be no reset button. Am I missing something?

Is there some other way to delete a program besides through the regular menu?
post #449 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is your 3416 running a TIVO interfact or the TV Guide I-Guide - if your running a DCT or DCH 3416 you're actually in the right place

If powercycling didn't resolve it, a cold initialization would wipe and repload the firmware applications - this can be done from billing or in a special process called a "three finger salute" I don't post that one publicly as it could be used by kids to bypass the Parential Control Pins (Cold Init will wipe everything except for DVR settings and programming)

PM me if you are running the TV Guide interface and I'll tell you how to completely wipe the box

TV Guide's interface should look like this

http://www.i-guide.tv/

Pretty sure he was talking about the new Tivo software interface running on the Motorola boxes up here in New England in Comcast land. There are a few good threads referring to this new guide. Looks to be promising but still has a couple little bugs. Works very differently from the i-guide, more similar to the regular Tivo.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #450 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Most people never change that setting and are happy - me I always recommend trying it a while on the different settings and keep it a while - see what others think - usually you'll find one that's a preference - I always leave the choice of what's best to those who are actually watching / listening to it in the case of settings

Refresh my memory, how do I get to those settings, and shouldn't one or the other be the "correct" setting? What are we actually changing anyway?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page