post #451 of 2061 Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Refresh my memory, how do I get to those settings, and shouldn't one or the other be the "correct" setting? What are we actually changing anyway?

You can do this from the remote if you want. 'Cable' - 'Power' - 'Menu'. I believe on the 4th line down it should say something about the advanced hdmi settings, highlight that & press the right arrow (or select, I forget which). These settings are only available when there is an hdmi cable connected.

Just my 2¢
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2061 Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:

When you Try the direct connection to the TV - you may have to powercycle the Box & the TV to get the devices to sync up.

Now try the old configuration again - again, you may have to power cycle each device in line.

I know that HDMI and DVI sometimes take a powercycle to "sync" and get the encryption handshake. If you're connecting through some sort of switching device and it doesn't carry over the proper handshake it won't allow a picture because it can't verify digital encryption (this happens more to DVI than HDMI, but it still happens.)

thanks CharterJames,

A service "tech" came to my house and we determined it was in fact my box. We tried a new (probably refurbished) and it worked fine.
post #453 of 2061 Old 01-26-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

You can do this from the remote if you want. 'Cable' - 'Power' - 'Menu'. I believe on the 4th line down it should say something about the advanced hdmi settings, highlight that & press the right arrow (or select, I forget which). These settings are only available when there is an hdmi cable connected.

Ok, great, now which setting is the correct one? RGB or YCC?
post #454 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 06:50 AM

ok, so I started reading this thread the other day when I was "upgraded" from the BMC9012 MOXI box to the DCH 6416 box because the MOXI box went dark (no lights, no picture to TV, just fans blowing).

I've read every single post, and it all makes me sad. This DCH6416 is not an "upgrade" at all, but a big step backward. Can I say that after 3 or 4 years on the MOXI, coupled with the improvements they added (most notably external hard drive support), this is really hard to swallow. Let me list all the immediate impressions after a week of the new box:
- interface looks horrible
- NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SUPPORT !!!! TOO SMALL INTERNAL DRIVE !!!
- there is no keyword search (only title search)
- title search only matches from the beginning of title, and not the middle (ex. "goblet" will not find "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire")
- when looking at previously recorded shows, or "series settings", only displays 4 shows at a time --> MOXI used the full height of the screen for this, and so you would get like 8 or 10 shows displayed
- no "clear" or "delete" button on remote to easily delete stuff without going through 10 menus

Now that I'm done ranting, let's rant some more...
- as far as menu funtionality/user friendliness: TIVO > MOXI >>>>>>>> I-guide
- my company does this all the time: this DCH6416 must be cheaper and easier for CHARTER but worse for the customer
- doesn't Charter test this stuff in the real world first? my god, you would have learned so much if you actually listened to feedback -- the people designing the interface need to all be let go, and hire some people who can make a friendly/intuitive/attractive experience
-anything designed to emulate the "TV Guide" format is doomed for failure as it is terrible to begin with...sheesh

Lastly: any "workarounds" or "temporary fixes" or other baloney that people suggest to "improve the experience" just mean that this product is insufficient. The MOXI BMC9012 was lightyears ahead of the DCH6416 4 years ago when I first got the 9012 box!!

Any word on when a new-and-improved box is coming available (DCH, BMC, or other)? I believe this thread or the BMC90xx mentioned a 707 compliant MOXI box might be coming? I will volunteer to beta-test any "improvements" and tell you straight out when they are good/bad because it pains me to hear that this DCH6416 is the main box of choice in the upstate SC/western NC market.

NEEDS EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE NOW !!!

slappySPG
post #455 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 AM

i just posted a long "quick reply" and it didn't show up.

will try again.
post #456 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 AM

so after a week with the "upgraded" DCH6416, I will now share with you my impressions as compared to the MOXI BMC9012 that we had for 3 or 4 years (can’t recall which):
- interface looks horrible – programming, settings, recordings, etc.
- NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SUPPORT !! INTERNAL DRIVE TOO SMALL !!!
- no keyword search only title search
- title search only matches from beginning of title (ex. “goblet” will not find “harry potter and the goblet of fire”)
- no “clear” or “delete” button on remote – have to navigate many menus to delete something
- as far as interface and user-friendly experience goes: TIVO > MOXI >>>>>>I-guide --> are you kidding me?! This interface is a joke! All the “designers” of the interface need to be let go, and hire some people who can actually make an easy/intuitve/attractive interface
- my company does this all the time: this DCH6416 must be cheaper and easier for CHARTER although it’s much worse for the CUSTOMER

IMO, there are no excuses here…no “workarounds” or “temporary fixes” accepted…this is a lousy product. Doesn't Charter test these things in the real world first before releasing them to everyone or committing to buying large quantities? I'm sure Charter would have received a lot of constructive feedback on how awful this thing is if they had bothered to ask the people who have to use this stuff everyday. I would be happy to beta-test any new equipment because I think it’s sad that the DCH6416 is the box of choice for the upstate SC/western NC. I wouldn’t want any new Charter customer to see this thing because they would likely be frustrated and highly unimpressed.

Any word on when an updated or improved HD-DVR is coming (BMC, MOXI, DCH, or other)? I think it was this thread or the BMC90xx thread that said a 707-compliant MOXI might be in the works?

Did I mention that it NEEDS EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SUPPORT NOW !

SlappySPG

(I'm wondering if my first longer post was modded out, or if I pressed a wrong button? -- either way, had to retype it but it's a little shorter now)
post #457 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
I don't see anything in your message that would remotely capture a moderator's attention in that way. Assume that you simply pressed the wrong button

Also, rest assured that Charter, just like the other cable companies that use Motorola DVRs (it is the industry leader) have fully tested the product, and have found it performing to their specifications. Thousands upon thousands of these DVRs are used successfully by customers, each day. They do what they need to in order to satisfy a great number of customers. Not everyone likes them the same, but the marketplace will be driven by the greatest percentage of consumers, as well as by considerations of cost and profit.
post #458 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I don't see anything in your message that would remotely capture a moderator's attention in that way. Assume that you simply pressed the wrong button

Also, rest assured that Charter, just like the other cable companies that use Motorola DVRs (it is the industry leader) have fully tested the product, and have found it performing to their specifications. Thousands upon thousands of these DVRs are used successfully by customers, each day. They do what they need to in order to satisfy a great number of customers. Not everyone likes them the same, but the marketplace will be driven by the greatest percentage of consumers, as well as by considerations of cost and profit.

thanks, bicker1 -- first time with this forum function, so I must have brain-farted on the button press. haha

maybe Charter did some testing, but my stance stills holds: the DCH6416 is hard and difficult and incomplete. The masses aren't always right -- sometimes they're just ignorant.

though I will be frequenting this thread to hear about any modifications or problems/resolutions that might help me enjoy it more. hopefully external drive support...
post #459 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappySPG View Post

so after a week with the "upgraded" DCH6416, I will now share with you my impressions as compared to the MOXI BMC9012 that we had for 3 or 4 years (can't recall which):
- interface looks horrible - programming, settings, recordings, etc.
- title search only matches from beginning of title (ex. goblet will not find harry potter and the goblet of fire)
- no clear or delete button on remote - have to navigate many menus to delete something
- as far as interface and user-friendly experience goes: TIVO > MOXI >>>>>>I-guide --> are you kidding me?! This interface is a joke! All the designers of the interface need to be let go, and hire some people who can actually make an easy/intuitve/attractive interface
- my company does this all the time: this DCH6416 must be cheaper and easier for CHARTER although it's much worse for the CUSTOMER

IMO, there are no excuses hereno workarounds or temporary fixes acceptedthis is a lousy product. Doesn't Charter test these things in the real world first before releasing them to everyone or committing to buying large quantities? I'm sure Charter would have received a lot of constructive feedback on how awful this thing is if they had bothered to ask the people who have to use this stuff everyday. I would be happy to beta-test any new equipment because I think it's sad that the DCH6416 is the box of choice for the upstate SC/western NC. I wouldn't want any new Charter customer to see this thing because they would likely be frustrated and highly unimpressed.

Any word on when an updated or improved HD-DVR is coming (BMC, MOXI, DCH, or other)? I think it was this thread or the BMC90xx thread that said a 707-compliant MOXI might be in the works?

SlappySPG

(I'm wondering if my first longer post was modded out, or if I pressed a wrong button? -- either way, had to retype it but it's a little shorter now)

Well said. Although I've never had a Moxi or anything else that supported an external HDD I agree, it sure would be nice. I often find myself deleting programs I've never watched because either I need the space or I'm having the 100% full problem. Speaking of which, I can't believe that Motorola hasn't came up with a fix for this issue yet. I had the problem on my DCT and still have it occasionally on my DCH.

As far as the search, I agree, it's a joke! I had a couple of different DishNetwork DVRs before I switched to cable and with those you could search the title AND description. I find myself rarely using the search anymore because it's next to useless as far as I'm concerned.

I think the reason the cable companies can get away pawning these off on people is because most people have never had a DVR before so they don't know how good a well designed one can work. If I knew that I could get my distant networks back again I'd probably switch back the satellite.

Barry
post #460 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 AM

I think it is more a matter that they do what they need to as well as many people expect. Managing expectations is really very critical to the receptiveness of any consumer product.
post #461 of 2061 Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Hey James,

I work in the NOC on 2nd shift. I have a 3416 and on Thursday I had a recording set for the daily show and the colbert report. When I went to watch the daily show it froze about 2 minutes in and then the screen went black. I couldn't rewind or fastforward. Colbert Report wouldn't even play. My DVR settings are only to record new episodes, but it always records the repeats of which there were 4 of each episode. The weird thing is, every recording exhibits the same behavior. I would suspect the hard drive, but the fact every recording of the same show behaved the same points me to think something about the guide data for that show.

Any thoughts?

Other recordings have been acting flaky as well lately.

Thanks,
Denny
post #462 of 2061 Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

so after a week with the "upgraded" DCH6416, I will now share with you my impressions as compared to the MOXI BMC9012 that we had for 3 or 4 years (can't recall which):
- interface looks horrible - programming, settings, recordings, etc.
- title search only matches from beginning of title (ex. goblet will not find harry potter and the goblet of fire)
- no clear or delete button on remote - have to navigate many menus to delete something
- as far as interface and user-friendly experience goes: TIVO > MOXI >>>>>>I-guide --> are you kidding me?! This interface is a joke! All the designers of the interface need to be let go, and hire some people who can actually make an easy/intuitve/attractive interface
- my company does this all the time: this DCH6416 must be cheaper and easier for CHARTER although it's much worse for the CUSTOMER

SlappySPG

If you think it's bad now, should've been around when this junk first came out.

External Hard Drive?
I wish that was in the Top Ten issues with MOTO DVR's

Sorry, if you are disappointed now, just wait, your frustration has only begun.

Just be happy you JUST got one, you missed most of the fun.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #463 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok, so I started reading this thread the other day when I was "upgraded" from the BMC9012 MOXI box to the DCH 6416 box because the MOXI box went dark (no lights, no picture to TV, just fans blowing).

I've read every single post, and it all makes me sad. This DCH6416 is not an "upgrade" at all, but a big step backward. Can I say that after 3 or 4 years on the MOXI, coupled with the improvements they added (most notably external hard drive support), this is really hard to swallow. Let me list all the immediate impressions after a week of the new box:
- title search only matches from the beginning of title, and not the middle (ex. "goblet" will not find "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire")
- when looking at previously recorded shows, or "series settings", only displays 4 shows at a time --> MOXI used the full height of the screen for this, and so you would get like 8 or 10 shows displayed
- no "clear" or "delete" button on remote to easily delete stuff without going through 10 menus

- my company does this all the time: this DCH6416 must be cheaper and easier for CHARTER but worse for the customer
- doesn't Charter test this stuff in the real world first? my god, you would have learned so much if you actually listened to feedback -- the people designing the interface need to all be let go, and hire some people who can make a friendly/intuitive/attractive experience
-anything designed to emulate the "TV Guide" format is doomed for failure as it is terrible to begin with...sheesh

Lastly: any "workarounds" or "temporary fixes" or other baloney that people suggest to "improve the experience" just mean that this product is insufficient. The MOXI BMC9012 was lightyears ahead of the DCH6416 4 years ago when I first got the 9012 box!!

Any word on when a new-and-improved box is coming available (DCH, BMC, or other)? I believe this thread or the BMC90xx mentioned a 707 compliant MOXI box might be coming? I will volunteer to beta-test any "improvements" and tell you straight out when they are good/bad because it pains me to hear that this DCH6416 is the main box of choice in the upstate SC/western NC market.

slappySPG

Well you know what Slappy - you've already started on the wrong foot with me. I'm more than happy to listen to issues and rants, but quite honestly you need to take a deep breath and relax. This forum is for tricks, work arounds and trying to fix problems, if you're just going to complain, find a complaint forum, they are all over the internet.

Moxi boxes are nice, they have an excellent interface and you'll see many posts from me both here and in the official moxi thread saying as much.
However the moxi is fundimentially flawed in the hardware department. The moxi has a lack of signal tolerance (i.e. it fails to get a channel lock or keep a data signal for it's modem) and is crippled by a lower quality tuner.

Since you've had your moxi so long, I have no doubt you'll remember when they first came out and the guide was extremely slow, fortunately in the last year the 4.1 software greatly increased guide speed, added External HD capacity and allowed for remote scheduling.

Next major software update will be TV Guide A25, which should resolve many of the guide bugs to the 6416 (mostly recording issues) and hopefully dress up the old grid system a little.

Now, the 6416 suffers from software issues. Quite honestly every major wide spread issue I've seen with the 34xx/64xx series is tied to TV Guide and their I-guide.

Do I like that interface, no, I do not.

However after seeing the picture quality of my moxi on my HDTV verses the 6416 - I (and a great number of other people) will take the 6416 over the moxi, at least until the day the new Moxi boxes roll out or until the day the moxi goes retail and I choose to buy my own.

As for your testing and cost analysis I have another scenerio for you

Corporate Labs approx 5 years ago - 6412 and Moxi are tested and analized, despite the higher cost, lower tuner grade and additional infrastructure needed due to the internal modems, the Moxi is selected because it's felt to be an overall better product.

Motorola Press release, approx 2 years ago - Motorola only has two assembly lines dedicated to the manufacture of the Moxi, no plans to increase - orders are backloged.

Charter Release, approx two months later - Because of backlog Motorola 6416 selected as the new DVR coming in.

FCC Mandate on 07/01/2007 - As of 07/01/2007 Encryption functions can no longer be intergrated into the box, as such all NEW boxes purchased by MSOs MUST use a seperate encryption system (CableCard) - this mandate was designed to force MSOs to open up their systems and create customer choice for Cable Boxes.

DCH series was already in production and replaced older DCT series

So you have two major factors that are not "pointy hair boss" type decisions here -

1) Lack of Supply in the face of SERIOUS demand

2) A mandate for a redesigned box (which still hasn't launched for the moxi)

So why did Charter start buying 6416s? Because if we didn't, most of us would not be able to have a DVR at all.

As for guide testing, let's say Charter isn't pleased at TV Guide. The first version of I-guide was worse, and A24 was rushed out to fix VOD issues, but of course that version was plagued with DVR recording issues. I look forward to A25, however the realist in me knows it will fix the current issues and probably cause some new issues. - But the advantage of the 6416 is the issue is SOFTWARE. Software you can patch easily, hardware is pretty much kept till it dies.

As for capacity, you'll notice your 6416 has TWICE the capacity of your moxi. And if you HAVE been reading these threads, you'll see that yes, HD expansion is out there, it's just not been released. More than likely it will come with the OCAP applications. Again, since you profess to have read this entire thread I won't explain terms like OCAP or MoCA and other features that will really open up this platform. By the end of this quarter we should see remote scheduling, I'd love to tell you when Hd expansion will be there, but I honestly don't know if and when Motorola will give us the tools to make it happen.

Now, that said and done the good news is soon you won't have to worry about this because if you prefer Moxi, Tivo etc you'll be able to buy what you want (and presumable since people will be buying them they'll be more friendly to home upgrades) and use a cable card to get your channels.

Sure, Right now you can do that with TIVO, but soon you'll be able to do that with many other brands. Sometime next month retailers are supposed to start selling digital boxes by FCC mandate. By this time next year we should live in a digital only world with OCAP applications.

Is there a chance it won't happen that fast? Sure there is, but the fact is after years of stalling, it's finally starting to happen and progress is finally happening. If you want to be an early adapter, go for a TIVO, each DVR has it's own ups and downs - for now TIVO's is no VOD. - They've already started production on a USB adapter that should address return issues so they can handle SDV, so I imagine once OCAP vod applications come out they'll be the first to have a working platform for it (though Digeo / Moxi might beat them since they have a foot in the door with their MSO boxes)

If you want your VOD and the best quality picture, keep your 6416. If you Prefer your moxi interface and hd expansion and VOD at the expense of an analog picture, then moxi is the way to go. If you're tired of Charter DVRs, by all means pick up a Tivo SIII or HD.

Now that I've had my counter rant, as an employee of Charter Communiations, I appologize that you are unsatisfied with your 6416 please PM me with your information (Name, phone number on the billing account, address) and I will be more than happy to see if I can contact someone in your area to see if we can get another moxi in your hands, or if you prefer, please feel free to contact your local Customer Serivce or Technicial Operations manager and let them know your disatisfaction with your 6416 and your request for a Moxi.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #464 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdy View Post

Hey James,

I work in the NOC on 2nd shift. I have a 3416 and on Thursday I had a recording set for the daily show and the colbert report. When I went to watch the daily show it froze about 2 minutes in and then the screen went black. I couldn't rewind or fastforward. Colbert Report wouldn't even play. My DVR settings are only to record new episodes, but it always records the repeats of which there were 4 of each episode. The weird thing is, every recording exhibits the same behavior. I would suspect the hard drive, but the fact every recording of the same show behaved the same points me to think something about the guide data for that show.

Any thoughts?

Other recordings have been acting flaky as well lately.

Thanks,
Denny

Hiyya Denny,

I've seen some of that, generally a black screen or going to a black screen is an indicator of either a signal issue or a possible tuner failure. Though given A24 guide issues, it could be tied to the duplicate programming bug (which usually tends to prevent series recordings from even happening if there's a program that has the same metadata ID tag)

On the recording the repeats, another thing to check is the guide data - unfortunately some channels are really bad about putting NEW on a show during the entire first week etc of it's run (Showtime was bad about this) Though at the same time if you've got one with the same data already in recordings, it should realize these are dupilcates and not record (unless duplicates are turned on)

If you cold init the box, that will force a guide reload, just to make sure hasn't been some sort of corruption of the guide application or data. It's odd, it seems to happen more to some channels and shows more than others. I've gotten black screens on my 6416 when I tried to record Dexter in HD as well as Dr Who on Sci-fi, but on other HD, Digital and Analog programming it works well.

While Dexter fits the profile of multiple showings on multiple channels Dr Who is only on Sci Fi I believe.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #465 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

rest assured that Charter, just like the other cable companies that use Motorola DVRs (it is the industry leader) have fully tested the product, and have found it performing to their specifications. Thousands upon thousands of these DVRs are used successfully by customers, each day. They do what they need to in order to satisfy a great number of customers. Not everyone likes them the same, but the marketplace will be driven by the greatest percentage of consumers, as well as by considerations of cost and profit.

True Dat!

There are those who are very passionate about 6416, alot of the high end users want the HDMI output and picture quality hands down, so much so I've even been asked why the heck we didn't just start off with the 6416.

Of course it doesn't take too much digging to know why Charter rolled out more moxi boxes than anyone else... Just connect the dots

Charter... Paul Allen... Digeo...

Which is probably also why Charter picked the Moxi despite the higher cost
(and is why I fully expect to see the new "host" moxi boxes at Charter when they launch)

post #466 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
OK guys, did some searching on AVS, the Motorola site and Google and just can't find any info on where the IR receiver on the Mot DCH3416 is. I need it for my IR expansion. I did see that someone posted that its about the "+" button on the right side of the box, but doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone see a diagram from Motorola with the front panel layout? Anyone know exactly where it is?

Thanks,

Bud
post #467 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

OK guys, did some searching on AVS, the Motorola site and Google and just can't find any info on where the IR receiver on the Mot DCH3416 is. I need it for my IR expansion. I did see that someone posted that its about the "+" button on the right side of the box, but doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone see a diagram from Motorola with the front panel layout? Anyone know exactly where it is?

Thanks,

Bud

The little circle to the right of the main number display

post #468 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
post #469 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM

I just picked up a DCH-6416 this weekend, for my new Panny 58" Plasma. I had a Phase II 6412 for several months last year on my F-P home theater, and got really exasperated with the 20+ second "penalty box" delays for doing something with the remote, like trying to display the guide, etc. I replaced that unit with a TiVo HD, and an OTA antenna. That combo is working just fine in the media room.

I have the Panny downstairs, away from the OTA antenna, so I took my standard digital cable box back, and luckily they had some seemingly new DCH-6416's available.

Here are a few early comments:

1. The DCH does not punish me nearly as often or for as long a time when I use the remote. Those long delays are shorter, and less frequent. More like 3 or 4 seconds now, much less annoying.

2. HDMI output is just fine to the Panny. The default settings send 1080i to the tv, unles the progam is SD. Then is sends 480i. The TV is clever enough to zoom the 480i, and display the 1080i in full width.

3. The box has some SD outputs. I hooked up the composite video and stereo audio outputs tp a frequency agile modulator, which I route to other SD TVs in the house. That works perfectly. On all SD content, I can see all the menus, and operate the box with my IR repeaters. That lets me check or set up recordings from any TV without having to power up the Plasma.

Still the same old guide recording problems as mentioned many times. But much more responsive and less buggy now than the 6412. It does a good job for the money, and as my area will be switching to SD soon, I think. I can safely roll with the punches on that.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the good info on this forum!

SteveG
post #470 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM

We also just had our Moxi & Moxi Mate replaced with 2 DCH3416's. Mainly the remote not working due to IR interference from our Plasma TV. And, yes, it costs more per month for more or less the same functionality. We don't like the interface either. We noticed the lack of search features within a few minutes. But, my wife suggested that it will just take some time to figure out how navigate around. It's all we can do, outside of switching to satellite or buying a Tivo and hoping we can get cable cards. Either option would cost a lot more.

I found that you can do a keyword search across all of the available programs on the charter.net site. It doesn't search the VOD programs, but it's the closest you can get to what the Moxi did. You can search for shows on a partial name on site too. According to some posts on this thread, eventually we will be able to schedule recordings from their website with the new DVRs, just like you can with the Moxi's now.

I don't understand the need for adding additional capacity to what is already available. We use the DVR to stop/rewind live TV and to record shows that we can watch at our convenience. The thing can store 20+ hours of mostly HD content, even more if they are SD programs. That's more TV than anyone in our house watches concurrently in a week. With what was available on the Moxi, we would reach a point where we would have more shows recorded than we could ever watch.

Finally, I think the DHC3416 is a great from a hardware perspective. It's the software that is running on top of it that is the issue. I read the specs on the Motorolla site before they pulled my Moxi, it can do everything a Moxi could and more. I was really looking forward to the new DVR, only to be disappointed that most of the good features are not used. Which is not the cable providers fault. It is just the lack of options/competition with STB software. Hopefully, the features I'm looking for will get enabled with software updates.

DD

Quote:

slappySPG

post #471 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
jgb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't read this entire thread so forgive me if this as already been answered, but how do I get the STB to record the HD version of a show I find in the search. If the show is on 3 (SD) and 803 (HD), my 3416 always seems to record the episode on channel 3 not 803.

Thanks...Josh

jgb
post #472 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

The little circle to the right of the main number display

On mine at least, it's not the small circle to the right of the numbers display. On mine it's right above the + channel button. I use a remote extender and that's where I have to attach it to get it to work. If I take my hand and cover the area above the channel buttons, leaving the area by the number display uncovered, I can't get any response from my remote. If you take a flashlight and shine it at the correct angle in that area you can see an approx. 3/4" X 1/2" oval area that is the remote sensor....at least on mine.

Barry
post #473 of 2061 Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM

hey, CharterJames -- you are truly a superstar, an asset to all of us, and a gracious gentleman. I have read most of your posts on this 34xx/64xx thread and the BMC90xx thread as well (before my MOXI died). So I appreciate your taking the time to read and address my concerns. You are probably the only way some of us can learn some of the inner workings of cable and Charter specifically, so I find that information fascinating.

We are likely to stick with the DCH6416 for a bit and see if it grows on us, though I greatly appreciate the offer for assistance in tracking down a MOXI. If we get to that point, we would probably follow your advice and just visit the local branch and talk to someone in person.

The only part I disagree with you about is the purpose of this thread. I see it as the repository for learning about the respective cable boxes. So in that view, questions and calls for help are equally as necessary as user experiences, especially sharing experiences with other systems. To view this as only a pro-64xx thread would be unfairly biasing the information. My wife is still in shock about how clunky and difficult the I-guide is. And if she decides it's too much, we can it.

We use the component signal to our Sony Wega 36" CRT (boy that's heavy!) and notice no difference in picture quality from the BMC9012 to the DCH6416. Maybe we would if we had both boxes connected and we could compare side-by-side, but that's not the way it went down, so it remains that both boxes give us stunning HD pictures.

So if the 64xx boxes are super-duper technology with supposedly superior picture quality, maybe that frees up some time to improve the interface? Which is mostly driven by the software, right? which in turn is the element that people are saying is the easier part to update? Just spend some time using a TIVO or MOXI, and add some things to make it easier to use. That's all we're asking. The picture is already fine -- move over to the parts that are lacking. I don't know who actually is doing that work, of course -- what with Motorola's name on the box, but TV Guide's name sort of on the interface, and Charter providing the service. But as end users, that is our feedback to whoever will listen.

again, thanks for the dignified responses. You're all to be commended.
post #474 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 AM

I think people will complain no matter what, and I do agree that there are other threads for that. Incidentally, they've already put the TiVo software on these boxes. And guess what? Complaints! :rotfl: So, no, it isn't always a user-interface issue. Sometimes it is simply a user issue.
post #475 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

hey, CharterJames -- you are truly a superstar, an asset to all of us, and a gracious gentleman. I have read most of your posts on this 34xx/64xx thread and the BMC90xx thread as well (before my MOXI died). So I appreciate your taking the time to read and address my concerns. You are probably the only way some of us can learn some of the inner workings of cable and Charter specifically, so I find that information fascinating.

We are likely to stick with the DCH6416 for a bit and see if it grows on us, though I greatly appreciate the offer for assistance in tracking down a MOXI. If we get to that point, we would probably follow your advice and just visit the local branch and talk to someone in person.

The only part I disagree with you about is the purpose of this thread. I see it as the repository for learning about the respective cable boxes. So in that view, questions and calls for help are equally as necessary as user experiences, especially sharing experiences with other systems. To view this as only a pro-64xx thread would be unfairly biasing the information. My wife is still in shock about how clunky and difficult the I-guide is. And if she decides it's too much, we can it.

We use the component signal to our Sony Wega 36" CRT (boy that's heavy!) and notice no difference in picture quality from the BMC9012 to the DCH6416. Maybe we would if we had both boxes connected and we could compare side-by-side, but that's not the way it went down, so it remains that both boxes give us stunning HD pictures.

So if the 64xx boxes are super-duper technology with supposedly superior picture quality, maybe that frees up some time to improve the interface? Which is mostly driven by the software, right? which in turn is the element that people are saying is the easier part to update? Just spend some time using a TIVO or MOXI, and add some things to make it easier to use. That's all we're asking. The picture is already fine -- move over to the parts that are lacking. I don't know who actually is doing that work, of course -- what with Motorola's name on the box, but TV Guide's name sort of on the interface, and Charter providing the service. But as end users, that is our feedback to whoever will listen.

again, thanks for the dignified responses. You're all to be commended.

The biggest flaw in the moxi's PQ shows up on LCDs and Plasmas, and some of them groom the signal well enough that it isn't so much a problem. I loved my moxi (very dearly) until the day I switched from a CRT to a LCD... at that point programming I'd watched before was blocky and pixelated

I've been hoping TV Guide would clean up it's act for ages now, I think 5 years ago they bought up DIVA (which was one of the best VOD platforms I've had the pleasure of working with) and I was really hoping they'd use some of DIVA's technology in their software... unfortunately it looks more like they bought them up to kill off something good.

With OCAP applications around the corner I'm thinking TV Guide will have to update and impliment better interfaces because it won't take as much for people to switch.

I've had people on all sides of the fence, When we rolled Moxi out we had people who complained to no end they wanted GRID based menus... Many prefer Moxi, others prefer Tivo... Each has their advantages, each has their annoyances. I'd love to see a world of choice... pick your hardware, pick your software (I'd kill for a 6416 with Moxi Interace *L*)

post #476 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post

I didn't read this entire thread so forgive me if this as already been answered, but how do I get the STB to record the HD version of a show I find in the search. If the show is on 3 (SD) and 803 (HD), my 3416 always seems to record the episode on channel 3 not 803.

Thanks...Josh

There's a guide bug that doesn't like duplicate programming - what happens is wherenever a show is on more than one channel at a time (like in SD and HD feeds) and uses the same metadata ID tag, it confuses the box, so often if you set up a series on such a channel it will bomb.

There's several things you can try

1) Set the series up on 803 and see where the record markers show up - if they switch to 3, try setting it to record on all channels - you might get some duplicates - SD & HD - but most people would rather delete off extras than miss the origional.

2) go through the listings on 803 (use the day buttons to move through faster) and manually set up your recordings every other week

With luck this should get resolved as TV Guide A25 is rolled out

post #477 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba0077 View Post

We also just had our Moxi & Moxi Mate replaced with 2 DCH3416's. Mainly the remote not working due to IR interference from our Plasma TV. And, yes, it costs more per month for more or less the same functionality. We don't like the interface either. We noticed the lack of search features within a few minutes. But, my wife suggested that it will just take some time to figure out how navigate around. It's all we can do, outside of switching to satellite or buying a Tivo and hoping we can get cable cards. Either option would cost a lot more.

I found that you can do a keyword search across all of the available programs on the charter.net site. It doesn't search the VOD programs, but it's the closest you can get to what the Moxi did. You can search for shows on a partial name on site too. According to some posts on this thread, eventually we will be able to schedule recordings from their website with the new DVRs, just like you can with the Moxi's now.

I don't understand the need for adding additional capacity to what is already available. We use the DVR to stop/rewind live TV and to record shows that we can watch at our convenience. The thing can store 20+ hours of mostly HD content, even more if they are SD programs. That's more TV than anyone in our house watches concurrently in a week. With what was available on the Moxi, we would reach a point where we would have more shows recorded than we could ever watch.

Finally, I think the DHC3416 is a great from a hardware perspective. It's the software that is running on top of it that is the issue. I read the specs on the Motorolla site before they pulled my Moxi, it can do everything a Moxi could and more. I was really looking forward to the new DVR, only to be disappointed that most of the good features are not used. Which is not the cable providers fault. It is just the lack of options/competition with STB software. Hopefully, the features I'm looking for will get enabled with software updates.

DD

tv.Yahoo.com also has this functionality - I used to use that before someone finally created a good charter portal

Remote Scheduling is supposed to be availible by the end of this quarter and it's definitely one of the things I've been pushing for. (IMHO alot of issues with Moxi VS 6416 would be resolved if the 6416 had external expansion and remote scheduling)

post #478 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

On mine at least, it's not the small circle to the right of the numbers display. On mine it's right above the + channel button. I use a remote extender and that's where I have to attach it to get it to work. If I take my hand and cover the area above the channel buttons, leaving the area by the number display uncovered, I can't get any response from my remote. If you take a flashlight and shine it at the correct angle in that area you can see an approx. 3/4" X 1/2" oval area that is the remote sensor....at least on mine.

Barry

Thanks Barry, I've only got 6416s here to look at and while the front panels appear the same the only IR sensor I could see on the 6416 in my office looked to be near the LCD number plate

post #479 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM

I have the 6416 box from Metrocast here in Southern Maryland since October and have been happy with it. Other than a couple of issues with the 100% full errors and the TV Guide stuff that I have read on here I have had no problems. Just got a Samsung 4065 last week and the HD content looks incredible. Wonder when Metrocast will push out the upgrade for the TV Guide to fix some of the little quirks going on.
post #480 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I think people will complain no matter what, and I do agree that there are other threads for that. Incidentally, they've already put the TiVo software on these boxes. And guess what? Complaints! :rotfl: So, no, it isn't always a user-interface issue. Sometimes it is simply a user issue.

You simply don't get it, do you?

You are not always right, and your view is not always the best view. It's your opinion so you are entitled to it. But other logical and rational opinions exist, and people are equally entitled to those opinions.

My opinion is that the user experience associated with the DCH 6416 as it stands today is lousy, based on my above statements made here already. I will not discount your opinion that you might like that box and the way it works, but that's the nature of opinions.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page