Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappySPG View Post

You simply don't get it, do you?

You are not always right, and your view is not always the best view.

You obviously haven't been around these boards much & read bicker1's posts... he IS always right.

Just my 2¢
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Thanks Barry, I've only got 6416s here to look at and while the front panels appear the same the only IR sensor I could see on the 6416 in my office looked to be near the LCD number plate

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned which receiver I have. It IS a DCH6416. On mine the small dot you're referring to James looks to me to just indicate that the box received a remote command. In other words it lights up with every remote command.

Possibly they moved the sensor at some point?

Barry
post #483 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:19 PM

I "kinda" got a picture of it. See the dark red/maroon oval? The only way I could get it to show up halfway decent was to let it take an out-of-focus shot. Kind of deceiving because the pic makes it look like it's to the right of the + button but in reality it is directly above it.

Barry

post #484 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 04:47 PM

I have a Motorola DCT3416 for my HDPVR needs.

I also have a Motorola DCT2500 that I want to set almost directly above the 3416 in my equipment rack. The reason for this is I want to use my DCT2500 c/w a modulator to provide whole house video/audio and the 3416 would provide as my main video source for my HT.

The 2500 would be controlled via IR emitters from different floors of my house.

The 3416 would be controlled via IR directly. I am trying to find out how I may control the 3416 without affecting the 2500.

My question is specific to, is it possible to uniquely set ONE remote to communicate only to the 3416 and ONE remote to only communicate to the 2500?

Or is there another way to control only one at a time without having one turned off.
post #485 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You simply don't get it, do you?

Actually I do get it.

Quote:

You are not always right, and your view is not always the best view.

The problem is that you resort to personally attacking people who express perspectives you don't like instead of keeping to the topic. Post your perspective. Let me post mine. Don't attack me and I won't attack you.

Quote:

It's your opinion so you are entitled to it. But other logical and rational opinions exist, and people are equally entitled to those opinions.

In which message did anyone actually say that you are not entitled to your opinion? Let me know so I can reply to that message in opposition to it.
post #486 of 2061 Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

...it isn't always a user-interface issue. Sometimes it is simply a user issue.

I read that as your assertion that I was the problem, not the box/interface. Like saying I didn't know what I was doing or talking about or didn't know how to use the 6416 and its functions.

That's the statement that nerved me. If you didn't mean it that way, well, then we've both learned something.

Regardless, I'm done stirring the pot with downer opinions on the 6416 -- I didn't really mean to get everybody angry...was just sharing our experiences. Sorry for the difference of opinion.

I imagine new 6416 developments will get discussed here, so I will keep my eye on the postings to learn about any news.
post #487 of 2061 Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:

I read that as your assertion that I was the problem, not the box/interface. Like saying I didn't know what I was doing or talking about or didn't know how to use the 6416 and its functions.

No not at all. My comment was general, and in agreement with your earlier statement, "The masses aren't always right -- sometimes they're just ignorant."

Quote:

That's the statement that nerved me. If you didn't mean it that way, well, then we've both learned something.

Indeed -- sometimes agreement sounds like disagreement.
post #488 of 2061 Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post

Never thought about checking the other tuner...interesting. Overall, I've found that our old TiVo was a much better DVR, although its picture quality was much worse. I'd get an HD TiVo if I thought the wife would not mind me buying another gadget. I just want the cable one to at least work. Whenever we loose the DVR, we also loose any scheduled recordings, and I've pretty much given up rescheduling them.

I'm sure you have already checked this, but make certain you have the "Cable" button selected when trying to use the DVR. The DVR functions will not work unless Cable is selected. If it starts the VCR when you hit Record it may be because AUX is selected instead of Cable.
post #489 of 2061 Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

No not at all. My comment was general...Indeed -- sometimes agreement sounds like disagreement.

ok, cool man. I felt there was something awry, and we weren't really arguing but just got our signals mixed up. Well, now that we're past that mess...

is there a way to find out why a show wasn't recorded on the DCH6416 (or other unit that has a similar interface)? Meaning, after a show is missed, other systems (e.g. MOXI-based) have a section that indicates that a show did not record because it was a repeat or there wasn't room or some other problem -- and aids in fixing settings for future broadcasts. Does the 6416 tell me something like that somewhere?

separate question: I think it drops a paused show if it ends while the system is paused. Example: 5 minutes left in a show and the phone rings...I hit pause and talk for 10 minutes, and come back to find the last 5 minutes of the previous show are gone and I can only rewind to the beginning of the current show. Is this right?
post #490 of 2061 Old 02-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:

ok, cool man. I felt there was something awry, and we weren't really arguing but just got our signals mixed up. Well, now that we're past that mess...

is there a way to find out why a show wasn't recorded on the DCH6416 (or other unit that has a similar interface)? Meaning, after a show is missed, other systems (e.g. MOXI-based) have a section that indicates that a show did not record because it was a repeat or there wasn't room or some other problem -- and aids in fixing settings for future broadcasts. Does the 6416 tell me something like that somewhere?

separate question: I think it drops a paused show if it ends while the system is paused. Example: 5 minutes left in a show and the phone rings...I hit pause and talk for 10 minutes, and come back to find the last 5 minutes of the previous show are gone and I can only rewind to the beginning of the current show. Is this right?

On your first question: not that I'm aware of.

On the 2nd question: If you're paused you shouldn't need to rewind, otherwise, no it shouldn't make any difference. It should take you back to the beginning of the pause buffer, as long as it's all on the same channel obviously.

Barry
post #491 of 2061 Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

This is a "quirk" I've experienced with the DCT6416 from time to time as well. Not necessarily at the end of of show but anytime. It's sporadic and unpredictable. Most of the time you can hit pause and it will hold for a long time. Never really tested to see how "long" is, but most of the time it doesn't matter. However, sometimes it just stops pausing and won't rewind beyond the time it is on now. I have never really looked to see if a recording is happening on the other tuner when this happens or if there is an identifiable reason like that, but I guess that is something to consider. Anyway, if I know my pause might last awhile, I'll hit record just to make sure I can pick up where I left off.

I note that this is a new DVR for you. Make sure you power-cycle it every month or so because all of these units start acting wonky every now and then; similar to the need to re-boot your PC from time to time.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #492 of 2061 Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 AM

DocCasualty,

By "power-cycle" do you mean just turn it off with the remote, or unplug it?

TIA
post #493 of 2061 Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

On your first question: not that I'm aware of.

On the 2nd question: If you're paused you shouldn't need to rewind, otherwise, no it shouldn't make any difference. It should take you back to the beginning of the pause buffer, as long as it's all on the same channel obviously.

Barry

ok, so maybe it was an isolated incident that happened to my wife on the paused show thing. I tried it last night on an HD channel, paused with 5 min left, waited 15 min, then pressed play, and everything went as it should. I could rewind and FF across the show change, so that other event must have been a freak.
post #494 of 2061 Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGoTex View Post

By "power-cycle" do you mean just turn it off with the remote, or unplug it?

'Turning off' the DVR with the remote, just stops A/V output, and puts the DVR in standby. The only way to power cycle the DVR is to unplug it.
post #495 of 2061 Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Hello, I have a question. I just got the 6416 box today, in the diag menu (d11) i noticed dvi/hdmi under enabled it says 'no'. Does this mean hdmi wont work or will it enable once a cable is inserted? If that is not the case, how would I enable it?

I plugged a thumb drive into the usb port on the back and it saw it just fine. Does this mean an external hd will work just fine?

Thanks.
post #496 of 2061 Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
You will need to have an HDMI cable plugged in to enable it.

The external HD will not work although it will be recognized as well.

Bobby 

post #497 of 2061 Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 PM

How much power does the above draw. I suspect not much, but do not want to overload my power strip, since I installed a surround system.
post #498 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 AM

I will give the hdmi cable a shot. I called my cable company, they said the external hd would work just fine. Is there any sure way of testing this before buying one?

Thanks.
post #499 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 06:45 AM

Just as an FYI to those getting new HD boxes. Some providers do carry HDMI cables and will give them to you for free with a box rental.
post #500 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 AM

I have a 6416 which I have set to leave on all the time. You think I should at least turn it to standby when I'm not watching TV? I leave it on all the time because if I turn off with my universal remote and it is recording something it will not turn off right away. Then if I go to power everything back on it actually turns it off since it should be turning it back on. Anyway, if that makes any sense.
post #501 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 AM

No, just leave it on all the time.
post #502 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Are these 6412's and 6416's good performers? Or are they riddled with issues like the 8300 series?
And why would one leave their dvr on at all times?
post #503 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

sorry....dbl post
post #504 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

None of the economy-class DVRs are good performers. They are specifically designed to be low-cost, not high-performance.

The Motorola DVRs work more reliably when they're left on all the time. There is only marginal benefits from turning the box off and significant benefits from leaving the box on.
post #505 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

bicker....thanks for the response. Actually my D* HR21 performs quite well, but my preium package runs way too much a month so I want to switch to my internet and phone providers top tier package.

So what issues can I expect and is there a difference between the 6412 and 6416?
Thanks so much again.
post #506 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

So what issues can I expect and is there a difference between the 6412 and 6416?

The main difference between the 6412 and 6416 is size of hard drive, xx12=120GB drive & xx16=160GB drive. The 6416's are probably newer also. As for issues with these boxes you can browse through these forums and/or read some of the wiki.com page about them.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #507 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info., I'll take a look now.
Hopefully nothing that's not easily solved and doesn't require constant fixing....I always here 8300 series owners lamenting about how bad their boxes are.
post #508 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM

I use the DCT-3416. It's fine; not great, but it does what it needs to do. So you say you're switching based on price. Yes, with the Triple Play deals, you could do pretty well price-wise switching to cable. Once your promotional price expires, though, you'll be right back where you are now. No worse off though, and there isn't anything better available. (If there was, it would soon increase in price, eh?)
post #509 of 2061 Old 02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The difference is ~$38 a month for the respective top-tier HD all enclusive packages, due to me getting a discount with my local who I currently use for phone and net.
No promotional offer though. The price is the same and no commitment has to be made.

I gain:
-from my 10 to 20 high speed cable modemn
-comcast HD who holds exclusive rights to my philly teams(even though I live 50 miles north of philly comcast is not offered??)

I lose:
-need to find out exactly which HD channels my local doesn;t have compared to D*
***I can't find out if the D*'s mpeg4 HD channels are of a higher quality than my local can attain as my local tech's do not know this info. and my local thread is non existent.
post #510 of 2061 Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does the newer Motorola Box (DCH 3416) have DRM? More specifically does it DELETE PPV RECORDINGS 90 minutes after they air like the TiVo HD models do? My old Comcast SA DVR did NOT delete PPV recordings. I am hoping against hope that these "new" models won't either. Anyone?

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page