Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 6416, connected to Insight Cable in Louisville, KY.

Will the Firewire connection on the cable box output to a similarly equipped TV? This would save me a WHOLE lot of space in my cabling, but I'd need to order a cable to do so (6 pin to 4 pin) since my local places don't seem to stock anything.

will work for sushi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Go to Ebay and get a silver Comcast remote two of them for about 10 bucks shipped. It can be programmed for the skip. I did it. Then I bought a RCA learning remote because we like the button layout better then had the skip taught to it. I did have to do a macro on the RCA remote to turn on the TV and the box in proper sequence, otherwise, our TV will revert to its cable input rather than it HDMI input.
post #543 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had only three SD shows on it and an HD episode of lost. This problem happens often where with just two shows it sometimes tells me that the hard drive is 50% full, which can't be right with a 160 gig HD. I have this DVR through Charter and they are clueless(The Charter Disadvantage Anyway, is there anything that I can do. Should I reformat the hard drive? I would appreciate any help.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #544 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

I had only three SD shows on it and an HD episode of lost. This problem happens often where with just two shows it sometimes tells me that the hard drive is 50% full, which can't be right with a 160 gig HD. I have this DVR through Charter and they are clueless(The Charter Disadvantage Anyway, is there anything that I can do. Should I reformat the hard drive? I would appreciate any help.

Happens sometimes to my 6412, seems like I have to erase something then it goes back to the correct %.
post #545 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I still wonder why my 6416 would do that. Seems like there is some bug or something that causes it to report the wrong space left on the hard drive.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #546 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Ok guys, I read through this entire thread hoping to find an resolution to my problem....no luck though. So here it is, ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

My set up:
DCT6412 hooked up via component to my Toshiba RPTV, which works fine. The problem lies with the audio.
I have it hooked up to my receiver to get 5.1 sound, but whether I have it hooked up via optical or coax, the audio "skips". For lack of a better word. The audio just cuts out about every 15-30 seconds, and sometimes more. It then kicks back in and my received automatically recognizes it as Dolby Digital. Like I said, it does this on optical or coax.

Note:
This is my second DCT, and my first one's sound worked great....but the hard drive went out.
All of my other equipment works fine too.

I have tried the power button + select reload method, as well as the replay/list/live method. Neither of which worked.

I called CableOne, and they reset the signal on their end...but, still didn't help.

The audio plays fine (skip free) if I hook it up via RCA cables.

The audio plays fine (skip free) via HDMI to my receiver - this is how I would have it run anyway, but I only have to HDMI inputs and they are being used by HDDVD and Bluray.

Any ideas???
post #547 of 2061 Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:

I still wonder why my 6416 would do that. Seems like there is some bug or something that causes it to report the wrong space left on the hard drive.

I did a HDD wipe and got rid of a similar problem. Directions are on here

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ola_DVR/Resets
post #548 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

Hmmm. I just checked mine and it shows firmware of 18.34. I am with MidContinent Cable though. Do different cable companies have different firmware versions or does this indicate that you're still not up to the latest fw? I haven't noticed any recent changes with the look or operation of my box but I also have no idea how long I've had this fw version.

CharterJames, did you get a chance to take a look at the picture I posted of the remote sensor? Doesn't your box have that dark red oval area like mine? Seems odd that there would be different sensor locations on the same model of receiver.

Barry

I haven't seen the picture, was it posted since Thursday / Friday or in a PM? Sorry I'm catching up a bit - we had a major PPV issue in one of our outlying systems on the NC/TN border

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #549 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The False 100% (or false over listing) is a known issue with A24.

Only in the worse cases should the wipe do the trick - in most instances the box will recheck and accurately report % used if it's either power cycled or any one title is deleted.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #550 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post

Ok guys, I read through this entire thread hoping to find an resolution to my problem....no luck though. So here it is, ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

My set up:
DCT6412 hooked up via component to my Toshiba RPTV, which works fine. The problem lies with the audio.
I have it hooked up to my receiver to get 5.1 sound, but whether I have it hooked up via optical or coax, the audio "skips". For lack of a better word. The audio just cuts out about every 15-30 seconds, and sometimes more. It then kicks back in and my received automatically recognizes it as Dolby Digital. Like I said, it does this on optical or coax.

Note:
This is my second DCT, and my first one's sound worked great....but the hard drive went out.
All of my other equipment works fine too.

I have tried the power button + select reload method, as well as the replay/list/live method. Neither of which worked.

I called CableOne, and they reset the signal on their end...but, still didn't help.

The audio plays fine (skip free) if I hook it up via RCA cables.

The audio plays fine (skip free) via HDMI to my receiver - this is how I would have it run anyway, but I only have to HDMI inputs and they are being used by HDDVD and Bluray.

Any ideas???

sounds like you're receiver doesn't like something in the digital audio stream - usually that tends to be the compression setup.

Try going into the Advanced guide setup (Menu, Menu, Setup) and take the audio setup - Under Audio aoutput change it to Advanced.

Play with the different levels of audio compression (though for output you'll probably want to keep it to Matrix)

post #551 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Only in the worse cases should the wipe do the trick - in most instances the box will recheck and accurately report % used if it's either power cycled or any one title is deleted.

Hi. I've been watching to see if my issues with the DCH6416 were addressed, and all but one have been. Thanks to those of you who routinely patrol these waters - sure does help!!! My remaining issue is a variation of the erroneous 100% full indicator.

So, over the weekend I erased all the saved programs on my dvr in anticipation of recording the entire Jericho first season (UHD had them on back-to-back). Since there were 22 episodes of 1 hour each, I figured I would need to watch and delete 3-4 of the first episodes before all were broadcast so that I would not run out of space. I created a series recording, and left the save settings on the default, which was to "save until space is needed". The series began at 10:00 pm, and at 11:10 I watched the first episode, deleted it, then went to bed. The next morning at 8:00 I noticed that all the shows to that point had been recorded except for the 2nd and 3rd episodes, which were nowhere to be found. At that point 7 1-hour episodes were saved (should have been 9) and the %full indicator was at 18% - way too low in my estimation. Then, while I was watching the earliest recorded episode (#4), a message popped up at 9:00 when the next episode began recording. I didn't write it down, but the gist was that the dvr cannot automatically delete a program while it is being watched. I assumed it was trying to delete the earliest program (to make space?! And even though space was available!) and only the fact that I was watching that episode at the time kept episode 4 from going the way of episodes 2 & 3. At that point I changed the save setting on all recorded programs and the series setting to "save until I delete". I watched and deleted a few more shows, then left it alone. By the time the last show was broadcast and saved, there were 12 shows still saved, and none had been lost to the auto delete fairy. The %full indicator was still pretty far off at @ 38%.

I know - it was a long question, but I thought a few of the details might make a difference. So why did it delete the earliest shows, even when space was remaining? When I set the save setting to "only when I delete", I was afraid that the DVR would think there wasn't enough space and so not record any new episodes, but that never happened, and fortunately all were recorded. Is there anything I can do to avoid this in the future? power cycle? Have any of you ever run into something like this?

Thanks!
Larry
post #552 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys,
When I recently switched providers I asked for a 6416.
The first box they gave me was a 6412.
So I called after the tech left, he told me to try the 6412 for a month.
Well, he just left and brought a DCH-3416.

Am I correct in assuming I just went down a notch?

Which is the newest 6416?(dch or dct) .... and what are the differences between the two?(want to know before I call again)
post #553 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Hi guys,

Which is the newest 6416?(dch or dct) .... and what are the differences between the two?(want to know before I call again)

Technically thew DCH models are newest solely because MSO'S started to distrubute them because of an FCC injunction. Although the DCH models maybe newer their is virtually no difference (except the fix M-card in the back of the unit).
post #554 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!
So since there is no difference between the DCH and DCT, what is the difference between the 6416 and the 3416?

I'm trying to find out which holds the most HD recorded time.
My options are:
DCH-3416
DCT-6416
DCT-3416
post #555 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen the picture, was it posted since Thursday / Friday or in a PM? Sorry I'm catching up a bit - we had a major PPV issue in one of our outlying systems on the NC/TN border

Sorry, I guess I could have included the post number. It is post 483 from Jan. 31st.
post #556 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi guys,

DCH is the newest - DCT is the older box which had encryption on the motherboard, DCH uses a cablecard for encryption (per the FCC's July 07 mandate)

34xx is Digital only - so a 3416 in a digital system should be every bit as good as a 6416 - technicially you went up a notch - all your SD channels are digital now (which Digital SD has the best compression level on a DVR)

post #557 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

Sorry, I guess I could have included the post number. It is post 483 from Jan. 31st.

I think the biggest issue for the confusion was the model we were looking at - I've got a DCT6416 here at my desk and a DCH 6416 in the other room to test with. I don't have any access to the 34xx series we don't have full digital capability yet. So there might have been some confusion there.

On the DCT6416 the IR sensor is just to the right of the LCD number display, on the DCH I believe it's further over.

post #558 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!
So since there is no difference between the DCH and DCT, what is the difference between the 6416 and the 3416?

I'm trying to find out which holds the most HD recorded time.
My options are:
DCH-3416
DCT-6416
DCT-3416

All three of these will hold the same amount of HD. The last two numbers denote Hard Drive size (160 gig) (3412 / 6412 would have a 120 gig HD)

Generaly with the 160 gig hard drive you're going to see this

1 hr Analog SD = 2%
1 hr Digital SD = 1%
1 hr High Def = 4%

the big advantage of the 3416s are digital only you won't have to worry about Analog percentages.

post #559 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsav View Post

Hi. I've been watching to see if my issues with the DCH6416 were addressed, and all but one have been. Thanks to those of you who routinely patrol these waters - sure does help!!! My remaining issue is a variation of the erroneous 100% full indicator.

So, over the weekend I erased all the saved programs on my dvr in anticipation of recording the entire Jericho first season (UHD had them on back-to-back). Since there were 22 episodes of 1 hour each, I figured I would need to watch and delete 3-4 of the first episodes before all were broadcast so that I would not run out of space. I created a series recording, and left the save settings on the default, which was to "save until space is needed". The series began at 10:00 pm, and at 11:10 I watched the first episode, deleted it, then went to bed. The next morning at 8:00 I noticed that all the shows to that point had been recorded except for the 2nd and 3rd episodes, which were nowhere to be found. At that point 7 1-hour episodes were saved (should have been 9) and the %full indicator was at 18% - way too low in my estimation. Then, while I was watching the earliest recorded episode (#4), a message popped up at 9:00 when the next episode began recording. I didn't write it down, but the gist was that the dvr cannot automatically delete a program while it is being watched. I assumed it was trying to delete the earliest program (to make space?! And even though space was available!) and only the fact that I was watching that episode at the time kept episode 4 from going the way of episodes 2 & 3. At that point I changed the save setting on all recorded programs and the series setting to "save until I delete". I watched and deleted a few more shows, then left it alone. By the time the last show was broadcast and saved, there were 12 shows still saved, and none had been lost to the auto delete fairy. The %full indicator was still pretty far off at @ 38%.

I know - it was a long question, but I thought a few of the details might make a difference. So why did it delete the earliest shows, even when space was remaining? When I set the save setting to "only when I delete", I was afraid that the DVR would think there wasn't enough space and so not record any new episodes, but that never happened, and fortunately all were recorded. Is there anything I can do to avoid this in the future? power cycle? Have any of you ever run into something like this?

Thanks!
Larry

Usually when the box is acting quirky a powercycle fixes it - the cause, unfortunately is likely to be A24 (that seems to be the root of this models quirks)

Honestly I would agree that the box should use the oldest when deleteing for space, but given other quirks, it's a crapshoot

post #560 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I did not have anything that I wanted to save and power cycling and total deleting still would show 49% full even though no recorded programs were showing.

So the HDD wipe was a last ditch effort before calling for a tech to come out.
post #561 of 2061 Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Larry

Just to confirm as CJ said just prior to this post, this is a bug with the A24 guide. Even though the box is set to 'record all episodes', it sometimes, for some reason, maxes out at 8, usually when set like you had it originally to 'delete when needed'. Keep it set for 'only when I delete' & you should be ok. But then again with these boxes you never know.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #562 of 2061 Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Just to confirm as CJ said just prior to this post, this is a bug with the A24 guide. Even though the box is set to 'record all episodes', it sometimes, for some reason, maxes out at 8, usually when set like you had it originally to 'delete when needed'. Keep it set for 'only when I delete' & you should be ok. But then again with these boxes you never know.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. On a related note, I'm having trouble accessing one of the saved episodes from that recording session. On this particular one, I get a black screen with no video. When I try pressing FF, RW, Pause, or Play nothing happens, even though the program info and time are listed. Is this another "feature" of A24? And is there any way to ressurect such a "lost" recording?
post #563 of 2061 Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. On a related note, I'm having trouble accessing one of the saved episodes from that recording session. On this particular one, I get a black screen with no video. When I try pressing FF, RW, Pause, or Play nothing happens, even though the program info and time are listed. Is this another "feature" of A24? And is there any way to ressurect such a "lost" recording?

Yup, that's another 'feature'. Sometimes if recordings end up like that, when you try to delete them they won't delete either. You may have to power cycle the box (unplug the power for about 15 seconds & plug back in) for it to clear correctly. There may be some errors on the hard drive, which power cycling fixes, but recording will most likely never be resurrected.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #564 of 2061 Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Yup, that's another 'feature'. Sometimes if recordings end up like that, when you try to delete them they won't delete either. You may have to power cycle the box (unplug the power for about 15 seconds & plug back in) for it to clear correctly. There may be some errors on the hard drive, which power cycling fixes, but recording will most likely never be resurrected.

I was afraid of that. Oh well - thanks for letting me know. The thing that I hate most about the power cycle routine is how long it takes I-guide to re populate... I guess I'll go back to repeating my mantra "At least it is better than VHS, and cheaper than TIVO".
post #565 of 2061 Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Hey guys, here's a question for you. I have a DCH3416, brand spanking new after an exchange for an older model and have had it since the week before the Super Bowl. I have Comcast cable. Last night was the first night I tried to use On Demand with the new box and I get this error message. The box throws up an opaque white box and in read text it says something like "Please contact your cable provider to use this service" and goes on to provide a cable card number, MAC address and some other networking stuff. The movie plays behind the box and it eventually went away after about 5 minutes. I called tech support and they are just clueless about these things, they just want to reset the box, which didn't work. I've seen this once before at a neighbors house but not sure what Comcast did to resolve it. This did not happen on my other PVR from them.

Anyone see this and whats the trick to clear this message?

Bud
post #566 of 2061 Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 AM

I am looking for a .ir file for a DCH3416. I have a Crestron control system I am trying to program and the file in the crestron database for a Motorola DVR only gave me control of a few commands. I don't really know much about exactly what I'm looking for other than its extension is .ir and it has all the commands and corresponding IR codes. I was hoping maybe CharterJames would have access to it or maybe someone who would know where to find this.

My thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
post #567 of 2061 Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Motorola 3416 - having an issue with the audio.
I like to use the surround modes my 7.1 AVR has, but when I try to select 'pcm' from the Motorola 3416, which goes to the AVR via HDMI, it automatically goes back to DD(AC3)??
Why can't I get it to just send pcm or anything that would allow my AVR to do the audio?(my previous D* hd and hd-dvr's allowed this)

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #568 of 2061 Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Hi all,

I have a Motorola 6416 connected to time warner cable in dallas. I just switched this box from the 6412. Anyway all my sd channels are letterboxed and I'm trying to set the 4:3 override but it doesn't let me.

Once I'm on the diagnostics screen there is a arrow on the left that lets me scroll to d12-user settings. But once on the user settings screen there is no arrow and therefore my scrolling does nothing and the 4:3 override stays on off. How can I get this to work?

thanks in advance
post #569 of 2061 Old 02-15-2008, 03:27 PM

Try power then menu instead of power then select.
post #570 of 2061 Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtaste View Post

Try power then menu instead of power then select.

That worked. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the info.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page