Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2008, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

34xx is all digital; 64xx has both analog and digital tuners.

I just traded in my 6412 for a 3416. The standard def channels seem worse, it that because it doesn't have an analog tuner?

I might take it back, since I only got it to try the HDMI to DVI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

I get the same thing when I try to order anything from On Demand. They just told me they were working on the problems with the On Demand in my area. (central Michigan).

it's a validation error - it can be fixed in billing, but it will wipe all recorded programming and settings -

It will come up on any channel that requires CCI validation - generally there's at least 1 test channel and most markets have set VOD to require the CCI encryption / validation.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post

I just traded in my 6412 for a 3416. The standard def channels seem worse, it that because it doesn't have an analog tuner?

I might take it back, since I only got it to try the HDMI to DVI.

That's odd that it would look worse, given you're using the digital feed you may have an issue with the lower frequency digital channels that might require a service call. In theory you should have no difference in Picture quality between a 34 and a 64

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:06 PM

I use my 6416 with a Harmon Kardon receiver and I have cabled audio to the TV speakers via the component cables and the audio to the receiver via optical. It works for both at the same time. I sometimes turn up the TV speakers when there is odd DD that minimizes the center channel on a program.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM

I have a motorola dch6416 and I leave it on all the time (since the hard drive never shuts down anyway). The only problem that I ever have is that when it is supposed to record a program, I get the message that the hard drive is full. When actually the hard drive is less than 50%. I turn the box off and back on and it is fine. The only problem with that is I have to be there or I will miss the recording. This only happens every couple of weeks or so. If I remember to turn it off and on once a week it I probably won't have a problem. Anyone else have that problem.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

I have a motorola dch6416 and I leave it on all the time (since the hard drive never shuts down anyway). The only problem that I ever have is that when it is supposed to record a program, I get the message that the hard drive is full. When actually the hard drive is less than 50%. I turn the box off and back on and it is fine. The only problem with that is I have to be there or I will miss the recording. This only happens every couple of weeks or so. If I remember to turn it off and on once a week it I probably won't have a problem. Anyone else have that problem.

Yes. Chere here for more info.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM

I am getting an intermitent error on my DCH 6416 box. It has happened about 5 times in the past 3 weeks. I will be watching something and the channel will suddenly switch to channel 10 and show "Ers" on the front display. Anything that is being recorded at that time is also stopped, but when I change the channel again everything seems fine. I usually do a hard reset after it happens, but it happened again last night for the first time in about a week.

Error code is "Eas" vs. "Ers"

Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've noticed people starting to get the new version DVR box.

DCH6416 III =
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=dct6416

DCT6416 =
http://images.google.com/images?q=dc...n&start=0&sa=N

Is there any improvements with this new box? I noticed a few filters listed on motorola's website that is not on the Phase III...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

DCH6416 III =

DCT6416 =

Is there any improvements with this new box? I noticed a few filters listed on motorola's website that is not on the Phase III...

The DCH boxes have been out for a while and use a single m-card for security. The seem to have less problems, but I have no hard data to back that up.

Here's the thread for this series.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

DCH6416 III =

DCT6416 =

Nutshell:

DCH is Digital Cable Host VS DCT (Digital Cable Terminal)

Terminals are able to do decoding etc through chips on the box's motherboard

Hosts on the other hand use CableCARDs to to authenticaton and decoding.

Functionally other than the authentication and decoding the a Phase III DCT is the same as the DCH (when my market started launching the 6416 in place of the BMC9012 Moxi we started with DCT 6416 PIIIs)

Generally the only difference between Phases tends to be a few filters, sometimes a little faster processing and sometimes more memory - occasionally it will also be a output difference (for example the earler DCT 5200 series did not have firewire and when it was added they changed Phase numbers)

Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

The DCH boxes have been out for a while and use a single m-card for security. The seem to have less problems, but I have no hard data to back that up.

Here's the thread for this series.

As far as reliability goes, they are for all intents and purposes identical to the DCT series, the primary difference I've found is with Card based devices you have occasional Authentication / Validation errors.

The Cards use CCI values for Validation and if the DCH is not correctly validated you won't be able to access channels with a value other than 0x00

Given most systems are now using Encrypted VOD services (once they figured out QAM tuners were able to "sniff" out the VOD stream channels because they were not on the Virtual Channel Map) VOD is usually the first noticable casualty.

Generally you'll get the white screen that was posted here earlier with the Card, Host and Data ids, however with VOD you usually get a "not authorized" error.

Because the cards in the host box are properly set up for 2 way communications and the Hosts themselves are two way, this can be resolved just by sending a Validation command from most cable biling systems...

However Tivos and other cable card devices which are not fully designed to handle 2 way communcations must be done manually by someone with access to the Digital Controler (the server that controls the cableCARDs and Boxes)

***edit***

btw, thanks for the link!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

As far as reliability goes, they are for all intents and purposes identical to the DCT series, the primary difference I've found is with Card based devices you have occasional Authentication / Validation errors.

The Cards use CCI values for Validation and if the DCH is not correctly validated you won't be able to access channels with a value other than 0x00

Given most systems are now using Encrypted VOD services (once they figured out QAM tuners were able to "sniff" out the VOD stream channels because they were not on the Virtual Channel Map) VOD is usually the first noticable casualty.

Generally you'll get the white screen that was posted here earlier with the Card, Host and Data ids, however with VOD you usually get a "not authorized" error.

Because the cards in the host box are properly set up for 2 way communications and the Hosts themselves are two way, this can be resolved just by sending a Validation command from most cable biling systems...

However Tivos and other cable card devices which are not fully designed to handle 2 way communcations must be done manually by someone with access to the Digital Controler (the server that controls the cableCARDs and Boxes)

***edit***

btw, thanks for the link!

No problem.

I haven't had any card issues yet, but have noticed less "remote button queuing" than was occuring with my DCT6412PIII. It might be my imagination though.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 AM

I have a Motorola DCH6416 hooked up via optical to a Yamaha YHT-380 home theater, and every once in a while hitting a button on my Motorola remote will make the volume on my audio receiver lower, usually by a significant amount. I have tried hitting all of the remote buttons to see if one of the codes/frequencies is used by the receiver for volume down, but I am unable to reproduce the problem. It seems to happen randomly, mostly from using the skip-back button.

Any idea how this is happening? Is a weird/corrupt signal going through the optical cable causing the receiver to react by lowering the volume? I would tend to think it's an IR remote code issue, but my tests don't verify that.

Please help! This is driving me insane!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
One quick question, Does the DCT 3412 support 5.1 DD via HDMI or do I still have to use the optical out.

I will be hooking it up to an Integra 9.8 (HDMI 1.3)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post

One quick question, Does the DCT 3412 support 5.1 DD via HDMI or do I still have to use the optical out.

I will be hooking it up to an Integra 9.8 (HDMI 1.3)

It should have HDMI and that HDMI should carry digital audio in the same output format as the optical would.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penske1 View Post

I have a Motorola DCH6416 hooked up via optical to a Yamaha YHT-380 home theater, and every once in a while hitting a button on my Motorola remote will make the volume on my audio receiver lower, usually by a significant amount. I have tried hitting all of the remote buttons to see if one of the codes/frequencies is used by the receiver for volume down, but I am unable to reproduce the problem. It seems to happen randomly, mostly from using the skip-back button.

Any idea how this is happening? Is a weird/corrupt signal going through the optical cable causing the receiver to react by lowering the volume? I would tend to think it's an IR remote code issue, but my tests don't verify that.

Please help! This is driving me insane!

I'd lean towards IR remote code issue myself - one of the reasons optical is prefered for home theaters is the lack of interfearance (since it's unaffected by Radio Frequency & Electromagnetic Fields)

Are you using TV and Home theater audio seperately (I know many do this because they don't want to always leave their home theaters on when watching TV) if you are, try using the Audio lock function of your remote to lock volume control to the cable box or TV... then try the skip function - this should prevent *any* volume oriented commands from being sent to the home theater - if the problem goes away after that, you'll know for sure it was an errant command going to the Receiver.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 PM

CharterJames,
Do you have a recommendation for the Logitech Harmony remotes? I'm looking to get one, and was wondering if any have been found to work well with the DVR functions of a 6416 mkIII.

will work for sushi
Old 03-12-2008, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Thril View Post

CharterJames,
Do you have a recommendation for the Logitech Harmony remotes? I'm looking to get one, and was wondering if any have been found to work well with the DVR functions of a 6416 mkIII.

Personally, I got burned on the Harmony because the person whom I was setting it up for didn't have a computer anywhere near his home theater setup. He was also in a hurry and not very tech savvy... I definitely recommend if you're going to do this that

1) MUST have plenty of time

2) Having a wireless network and a laptop are preferable - otherwise you'll be trecking to your computer frequently if you're unlucky.

3) Must have plenty of patience

I liked the interface and the way it was set up to work - once it's programmed correctly it looks like it would be a breeze for everyone else in the house to use. But that's if you can get over the initial programming.

it should work great with the 6416, in my case the person switched to a UR10 RF remote with IR blaster (to manage all the components secured in a closet) - The origional box was a Moxi and it was a pain in the arse to configure for either remote. The 6416 went much smoother on the UR10, but I have had no experience with the Harmony and a 6416. I've been thinking about getting one of the lower end models myself - I won't need RF since all my stuff is line of site

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Hi, I have a the motorola dch6416 model and recently I just finished watching a recording and when I attempted to delete it, the box tells me it cannot delete the file while it's in use and to close the file and try again.

I didn't know if there was a way to get rid of it without having to just reboot the whole dvr or if that is the only way to go. This is the only problem I've had so far with the dvr.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer0ckolla View Post

Hi, I have a the motorola dch6416 model and recently I just finished watching a recording and when I attempted to delete it, the box tells me it cannot delete the file while it's in use and to close the file and try again.

I didn't know if there was a way to get rid of it without having to just reboot the whole dvr or if that is the only way to go. This is the only problem I've had so far with the dvr.

Thanks for any help.

Your best bet will be power - cycling the box - this should correct the problem.

You *might* get a result by deleting a different title, but rebooting the box will give definte results - everything else I can think of is more drastic (and potentially damaging to your content)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM

That worked, thanks. I was unsure if cycling the power would cause me to lose all my set recordings and that was my initial hesitation to doing a reboot but everything remained in tack and I finally got the show off there, thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM

My DCH-3416 is really annoying me it resets itself randomly, it reset itself after setting a series recording and also it does its done it when i was watching something i recorded, many times. The temperature is in the safe range. It also does not listen to me when i tell it not to record an episode that is set for a series recording.and a few weeks ago i set a movie to record in hd and it took up 75% of the box which is not right...Ive power cycled the box.It resets itself like crazy like every 20-30 minutes.

Problem Fixed: Charter acutally had some HD-DVRs in stock so i exchanged it. Amazing they usually are almost all out.

TV: Vizio 32" LCD and Toshiba 42" LCD
Cinema: Onkyo TX-SR304 and Sony STR-K790
HD:Directv HR21-100 and HR21-200 with 1TB External HDD
HD Players:Toshiba HD-A2,Sony BD-350
Remote: Harmony One
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM

Any new news on an enabled eSATA port? If none, my bro is canning Charter.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer0ckolla View Post

That worked, thanks. I was unsure if cycling the power would cause me to lose all my set recordings and that was my initial hesitation to doing a reboot but everything remained in tack and I finally got the show off there, thanks!

No problem!

Generally a power-cycle / loss of power / Warm Initialization will only wipe out working memory - you'll lose guide data and network information (ip address, return path etc) everything but guide data comes back in about 10 to 15 minutes. Extended guide data fills in slowly. by default a box should require a PIN on all programming without guide information if one's been set up (this way kids can't get around the Parental Controls by just unplugging the box.)

a Cold Init or "3 Finger Salute" will wipe the flash memory of the box - this wipes all box settings (Favorites, Parental Controls / Locks, Guide preferences, Auto Tune etc.) but it *should not* wipe programming or settings for recorded programs.

An CableCARD Validation command sent to a DCH will wipe all DVR settings and programming. This is only supposed to be done between customers, but I've seen cases where the card sometimes loses it's validation

There's also a manual remote command that will wipe all DVR settings and content - this is a very tricky command and must be done from the diagnostics screen, so it's pretty much impossible to do on accident.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

Any new news on an enabled eSATA port? If none, my bro is canning Charter.

No news, it's more than likely pegged to a different firmware release. Given how they had to enable it on Moxi (with a software update as well) I imagine it won't be availible until there's a TV Guide / I-guide that supports the feature as well. Maybe in A25 (no confirmation, just speculation here) but not likely to be any sooner than that.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM

would I be able to purchase a cable box and use it with Charter? Just curious if that can be done.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polekat View Post

would I be able to purchase a cable box and use it with Charter? Just curious if that can be done.

That option is just now becoming a reality -

Your options will depending largely on what you want.

If you want full functionality you'll need to dig and search for someone selling a Motorola DCH (providing your in a market they are in use) For now (and probably for the next year) OCAP applications aren't common so you are limited in choices for full (vod, ipv etc) functionality.

the next best thing would be a cableCARD device - right now the most common is TIVO's Series III or HD. The HD has less space, but should only need one multi-stream card in order to make it work. - For now it won't support VOD or SDV (in markets that have it) but SDV support should be in the works soon.

If you're using OTA signals or Clear QAM (channels that are not encrypted on the cable lines) then Walmart and other retailers are now selling boxes (and DVRs) that can decode digital signals - this won't work if you're wanting to do any sort of subscription package from a cable provider, but if your not, this may meet your needs on a budget

What you want to stay away from are the old DCT boxes (or Moxi boxes) any of the old cableboxes are now boat anchors - we are not allowed to add them into inventory due to the same FCC mandate the forced the move to the DCH boxes.

If it's a "cable box" and it's not able to use a cable card, it's pretty much useless if you want to use it with your cable line and get more than the local HDs.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM

I would be VERY careful about purchasing a DCH. They are not available via retail in the US, so most operators will not provision a DCH you have "bought" as they are most likely stolen from another operator.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtaste View Post

I would be VERY careful about purchasing a DCH. They are not available via retail in the US, so most operators will not provision a DCH you have "bought" as they are most likely stolen from another operator.

That is always a possibility until US retailers start to carry them (which should be by Feb of 2009) though if you have a DCH that doesn't have a bolted in card in the rear slot, then they shouldn't be too suspicious.

Having a receipt or invoice from a retailer as opposed to getting it via Ebay is the best way to keep it 100% legit.

Also be sure to get the right model type for your needs

DCH 100 - Standard Definition - for Digital only markets
DCH 200 - Standard Definition - Analog and Digital
DCH 6200 - HD non-DVR - Analog and Digital
DCH 34xx - Digital only HD DVR
DCH 64xxx - Analog and Digital DVR

Old 03-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks, I was just looking into a possibly cheaper option to get more than basic cable on more than one tv. Right now I have a 6416 in my living room and just cable running to my other tv's but I can't get any movie channels elsewhere. I was hoping I could pick up a box that would allow me to get that, but if I would need to pay for a cable card that would defeat the purpose.

My cable bill (with Charter internet and phone) is already $190 a month. I had been looking at a Tivo, but that would add another $15 a month not to mention the initial cost of the unit. So then I thought about adding a box, but I think that is $10 a month or something too.

Are there any options for sending the signal from my living room to my bedroom tv? Slingbox?