post #631 of 2061 Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polekat View Post

Thanks, I was just looking into a possibly cheaper option to get more than basic cable on more than one tv. Right now I have a 6416 in my living room and just cable running to my other tv's but I can't get any movie channels elsewhere. I was hoping I could pick up a box that would allow me to get that, but if I would need to pay for a cable card that would defeat the purpose.

My cable bill (with Charter internet and phone) is already $190 a month. I had been looking at a Tivo, but that would add another $15 a month not to mention the initial cost of the unit. So then I thought about adding a box, but I think that is $10 a month or something too.

Are there any options for sending the signal from my living room to my bedroom tv? Slingbox?

Any digital tuner will get you the local HDs and the Music choices in addition to what the get now on analog - but that's about it.

Cards are generally low cost ($1 to $2 a mo ea) if you have a card equipped box. With luck we'll see alot of those hitting the market in the under $100 price - hopefully using OCAP guide rather than TIVO's current "pay for our broadband based guide"

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2061 Old 03-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polekat View Post

Are there any options for sending the signal from my living room to my bedroom tv? Slingbox?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I hope I'm not since I plan to do this in the future. I'm pretty sure on the DCH-3416 at least you can use multiple outputs simultaneously. So if you have an alternate way to control the DCH you can use it with multiple sets. You would just have to watch the same thing on both TVs or only use one at a time.

In my case, I have a Crestron control system in the living room and as soon as I get a wireless touchpanel for it I am going to pull cable for component from my DCH in the AV closet to the TV in my bedroom. That way when I'm ready to go to bed for the night I can just take my touchpanel with me and have control of the DCH from there.

A cheaper way to control the box from your bedroom would be some type or IR extender kit which may cost a few bucks but at least thats a one time expense as opposed to renting a second box.
post #633 of 2061 Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Thril View Post

CharterJames,
Do you have a recommendation for the Logitech Harmony remotes? I'm looking to get one, and was wondering if any have been found to work well with the DVR functions of a 6416 mkIII.

I just bought the Harmony 880 and it works perfectly with the DCT 6416(sliver remote) This remote is different, in that it is activity based, wherein you tell it to "watch TV" and it turns on all devices you want, TV, DVR, AVR, changes inputs, etc. "watch DVD" turns on/off appropriate devices for that activity. Listen to Radio, Listen to CD, all set up appropriate devices. Easy setup on pc via usb. This remote may still be available on Ama*** for $149.99. Enter code GXWCVCLQ at checkout for a $50 discount, making the final price $99.99. To say more here would be off topic, so here is the link in this forum for the 880.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=654853
post #634 of 2061 Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 PM

I am trying to run video (and audio) through my Onkyo 705. Everything works fine except video from by Comcast box (DCT3412).

The picture I am getting from the receiver is viewable intermittently. It is displaying wavy lines. I struggled with this for about an hour when setting up the system initially. When I turned my TV off and on it started working fine. Then I came back a few hours later and it is doing it again. DVD plays fine, WII plays fine. I have not been able to get a valid picture other than the 1 time in 2 days of trying.

I am using what I figured would be a simple setup just using the component inputs and output eliminating any possible conversion issues in my receiver. Cable box is set to 720P output. I have a Mitz 52525 DLP rear projection TV that is about 3 or 4 years old. I don't even know if it's the box, TV, or tuners fault? I have tried bypassing the receiver going direct to the TV and it works fine every time. Changing channels to HD and standard does not help. I assume it isn't a cable box issue, but I am running out of ideas. I have heard others having trouble with these boxes going through a receiver, but that is mostly HDMI related and copy protection related and would never work instead of work one time???

Ideas?
post #635 of 2061 Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknott View Post

I am trying to run video (and audio) through my Onkyo 705. Everything works fine except video from by Comcast box (DCT3412).

The picture I am getting from the receiver is viewable intermittently. It is displaying wavy lines. I struggled with this for about an hour when setting up the system initially. When I turned my TV off and on it started working fine. Then I came back a few hours later and it is doing it again. DVD plays fine, WII plays fine. I have not been able to get a valid picture other than the 1 time in 2 days of trying.

I am using what I figured would be a simple setup just using the component inputs and output eliminating any possible conversion issues in my receiver. Cable box is set to 720P output. I have a Mitz 52525 DLP rear projection TV that is about 3 or 4 years old. I don't even know if it's the box, TV, or tuners fault? I have tried bypassing the receiver going direct to the TV and it works fine every time. Changing channels to HD and standard does not help. I assume it isn't a cable box issue, but I am running out of ideas. I have heard others having trouble with these boxes going through a receiver, but that is mostly HDMI related and copy protection related and would never work instead of work one time???

Ideas?

Just for jeepers, change your cable box output to 1080I and see if that fixes it. Maybe your Mits is having trouble with the 720P feed.

Bobby 

post #636 of 2061 Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM

I have a DCH3416 connected to an AVR receiver. I record a fair amount of shows on various channels, but when I record one show (the Daily Show) I mostly get a green screen when I play it back (probably about 75% of the time). This can be corrected by pressing the format button. Anyone know of a permanent solution for this? Anyone aware of a remote code for the format button? It's not that big of a deal, but I may trade in the box for another one if it gets too annoying.
post #637 of 2061 Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknott View Post

Ideas?

Problem resolved. This one caught me off guard. The new high quality cable I bought was defective. 3 hours wasted, GRRRRR.
post #638 of 2061 Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

What you want to stay away from are the old DCT boxes (or Moxi boxes) any of the old cableboxes are now boat anchors - we are not allowed to add them into inventory due to the same FCC mandate the forced the move to the DCH boxes.

Is Charter continuing to give out Moxi's for DVR service at all?

My Moxi (BMC9012) died last night (started smoking). I returned it to my local charter office today and was given a DCH6416. From my short time googling this morning, it doesn't appear that I'm losing/gaining too much with this switch.

Pro:
More space for recording.

Con:
no USB expansion (perhaps eSata sometime), and less fancy program guide/interface

I am curious if the Slingbox will work with the IR codes for the DCH6416 box (a friend tried Slingbox with Moxi and couldn't get it to work).

Thanks for any info.
post #639 of 2061 Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luverofpeanuts View Post

Is Charter continuing to give out Moxi's for DVR service at all?

My Moxi (BMC9012) died last night (started smoking). I returned it to my local charter office today and was given a DCH6416. From my short time googling this morning, it doesn't appear that I'm losing/gaining too much with this switch.

Pro:
More space for recording.

Con:
no USB expansion (perhaps eSata sometime), and less fancy program guide/interface

I am curious if the Slingbox will work with the IR codes for the DCH6416 box (a friend tried Slingbox with Moxi and couldn't get it to work).

Thanks for any info.

Yes, we have a decent population of moxi boxes that were swapped in for 6416s and I've heard whispers that Charter had quietly acquired boxes from other MSOs which phased out the Moxi entirely just before the deadline

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #640 of 2061 Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwdatt View Post

I just bought the Harmony 880 and it works perfectly with the DCT 6416(sliver remote) This remote is different, in that it is activity based, wherein you tell it to "watch TV" and it turns on all devices you want, TV, DVR, AVR, changes inputs, etc. "watch DVD" turns on/off appropriate devices for that activity. Listen to Radio, Listen to CD, all set up appropriate devices. Easy setup on pc via usb. This remote may still be available on Ama*** for $149.99. Enter code GXWCVCLQ at checkout for a $50 discount, making the final price $99.99. To say more here would be off topic, so here is the link in this forum for the 880.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=654853

Thank you. My wife will be calling soon with her hatred

will work for sushi
post #641 of 2061 Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Two HD channels were pixalating. Had Charter out and everything checked out fine on my end. Those two channels are from a different source or something and will require upgrading.

Anyway, while talking, the tech said they were going 100% digital in steps and that he could have them turn me on to all digital.

Well, I believe the SD channel picutres are better. However, have to run the volume almost twice as high (50 vs 25 on the volume scale).. Always had to do this on the HD channels also. And some are more so than others.

Can anything be done about that. Who would one contact to express that concern. Although not a real problem, it does not seem logical to me. Should I be concerned?
post #642 of 2061 Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

However, have to run the volume almost twice as high (50 vs 25 on the volume scale)..

I have this problem also, SD volume much higher than HD. Could it be a function of the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal? I Have messed with the compression on the box and in the guide setup to try to make them closer to the same level, but no help yet.
post #643 of 2061 Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Same prob here. Gotta go about 10 higher on the AVR to get HD vol up.
post #644 of 2061 Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM

As posted above, our Charter group is going ADS, analog digital simucast.

Is this a transition step to eventually get to all digital? It would seem to transmit both analog and digital must take up a lot of bandwidth.

So what is the ultimate game plan that the current ADS accomplishes?
post #645 of 2061 Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats because the box does not handle digital audio properly. The audio settings are all for stereo audio. They have no effect on digital audio. Its another reason why you get high pitched whining noises as well. There should be a dolby digital option in the boxes settings in the menu guide. I have mentioned this before on this forum. But, people say its just how it works and its not working the way I want it to. I will use my Xbox 360 as an example. When I select dolby digital sound. I do not get any whine and I do not have to crank the volume up. Going back to the cable box. SD is fine. But, HD channels that use dolby digital. I have to crank 10 notches or more compared to SD. SD I listen at 10 plenty loud. HD channels. Gotta crank it to 20 or so. I was told because dolby digital sounds lower naturally. BS! Why do I not have this problem with my 360? Thats because its passing dd properly. Unlike the cable box. And if you notice. Power off your box. Hit select. Go under audio/video. You will notice SPDIF says N/A. 1. the port has not been enabled fully. or 2. it is not enabled properly. Here is another kicker. Don't ask me why or how its doing this. But, I have hdmi for video and optical for sound. Some how the hdmi sound is being passed to the optical and through like that. Instead of the optical being passed being passed by itself.

Further more. As I have stated count less times. I have never had a issue like this before with other hd-dvr boxes. All have had dolby digital selection and passed the audio correctly. With no whine or having to crank up the sound when viewing hd content. Its a weird issue with Motorola or the cable company. It needs to be fixed. I even called Motorola and they tried to help. Told me the box is capable and should have it. However. He told me some cable company's do no enable all features within the box. That would explain it. And yes I know about powering off. Hit ok/select and there are more audio options. But, since I am running hdmi. It is just options for hdmi audio to pass through. That needs to get bypassed some how as I am using a optical cable. So, it has no effect on what I choose. Its like the box passing two different audio signals. 1 being hdmi and 1 being optical.

Quote:

I have this problem also, SD volume much higher than HD. Could it be a function of the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal? I Have messed with the compression on the box and in the guide setup to try to make them closer to the same level, but no help yet.

post #646 of 2061 Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Anyway, while talking, the tech said they were going 100% digital in steps and that he could have them turn me on to all digital.

Well, I believe the SD channel picutres are better. However, have to run the volume almost twice as high (50 vs 25 on the volume scale).. Always had to do this on the HD channels also. And some are more so than others.

I am reposting part of my orginal post to clarify. Both SD and HD require much higher volume settings than analog did. Most here are saying their HD requires higher. Possibly they were/are still getting their regular channels as analog like I was. Again, all digital (both digital SD and digital HD) for me requires much higher volume settings than did the analog.

FWIW, I have no whine, never have. Am feeding the TV with HDMI from the DVR direct. SD channels are not 5.1 AFAIK
post #647 of 2061 Old 03-23-2008, 06:11 AM

I don't know for sure, but I think what you're referring to might have something to do with audio settings in the Motorola DVRs. There are additional settings, I believe, that affect only digital audio, which perhaps you only will get on ADS and HD channels. Check the menus. If you see something like "no compression" then switch it to "light compression" or even "heavy compression". We needed to do so; my wife is hearing impaired, and while "no compression" is closer to what the director intended, my wife cannot hear the dialog as well that way. (Yes, yes, we do have the closed captions enabled, but she prefers both closed captions AND the ability to hear the dialog better.)
post #648 of 2061 Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM

Ok, so we all can compare, I have HDMI out to TV, optical to AVR (no HDMI in on AVR) I get 5.1/6.1 on all HD channels. AVR displays Dolby D EX on all HD channels. PLII on all SD channels.

6416 audio setup choice available is: Auto, L-PCM, Pass through. No change when you set to any of the three. I use Auto, but again it doesn't matter, sounds the same. Is this because I use optical, not HDMI to AVR? I don't know.

Guide setup is Audio output set to: Advanced, Compression: None (no change if I use "light" or "heavy". I set Stereo output to: "Matrix"

Again, the difference is about 12-15 on the volume scale with the SD channel higher than HD

My Comcast TV Guide menu version set up values are attached. I don't know if this is necessary or makes a difference, but maybe I have a different guide version than others.
LL
post #649 of 2061 Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guide setup is Audio output set to: Advanced, Compression: None (no change if I use "light" or "heavy". I set Stereo output to: "Matrix"

This only affects line audio outs. It has no effect on digital coax, or optical outs. If you do any recording, VCR or DVDR, I recommend advanced, matrix, light compression.
post #650 of 2061 Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two HD channels were pixalating. Had Charter out and everything checked out fine on my end. Those two channels are from a different source or something and will require upgrading.

Can anything be done about that. Who would one contact to express that concern. Although not a real problem, it does not seem logical to me. Should I be concerned?

Pixelation is generally a foward signal issue... usually you just logically work back to see how major an issue it is - if it's happening everyware, it's something that's generated in the headend or from the feed itself (though it's pretty rare to have a prolonged feed issue) other wise, it's generally found along the downstream... be that a single county or metro area, a section of nodes fed from a common fiber, a single node, several houses on the same line or just one house.

If they can't duplicate it in their local office, more than likely it's a signal issue

post #651 of 2061 Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so we all can compare, I have HDMI out to TV, optical to AVR (no HDMI in on AVR) I get 5.1/6.1 on all HD channels. AVR displays Dolby D EX on all HD channels. PLII on all SD channels.

6416 audio setup choice available is: Auto, L-PCM, Pass through. No change when you set to any of the three. I use Auto, but again it doesn't matter, sounds the same. Is this because I use optical, not HDMI to AVR? I don't know.

Again, the difference is about 12-15 on the volume scale with the SD channel higher than HD

My Comcast TV Guide menu version set up values are attached. I don't know if this is necessary or makes a difference, but maybe I have a different guide version than others.

Your on TV Guide A24 - which is the most common version currently in use

Compression should limit the range of audio quiet to loud - you won't notice any changes on the HDMI audio setup if you're listening to a Home Theater running off the optical - My TV at home has weak speakers and I really dont' get much using RCA or HDMI... so I always use my home theater.

One thing to do is make sure you've set your audio to optimal level on the box - if you use your box for volume that can skew everything

post #652 of 2061 Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

My TV at home has weak speakers and I really dont' get much using RCA or HDMI... so I always use my home theater.

One thing to do is make sure you've set your audio to optimal level on the box - if you use your box for volume that can skew everything

True that. Weak isn't the word for it!! TV speakers are off all the time. I use HDMI box to TV just for digital video. Should I use analog component cause I'm using optical to AVR and test the compression options again? And, while not using the box for volume control, it is at maximum. Using the AVR volume all the time. Any other thoughts?
post #653 of 2061 Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM

Quite often scheduled recordings on HBO will not play. I get a green bar indication that 30 minutes of recording should be there, but when I try to play it, the slider stays at 0 minutes and nothing happens. What could cause a blank recording?
post #654 of 2061 Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM

I have had this happen as well. I can't remember, but I may have power cycled the unit and had it work.
post #655 of 2061 Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

This only affects line audio outs. It has no effect on digital coax, or optical outs. If you do any recording, VCR or DVDR, I recommend advanced, matrix, light compression.

I feed audio and video to my TV via HDMI. Techs were here again today trying to figure out whay just 2 (or 4, if you count two digital SD channels) pixalate (or tile) and none of the other HD or digital SD channels do. Anyway after about 4 trips to my house they have concluded that there is nothing wrong with my wiring and that they will put in a work order for more upstream corrections.

Anyway while here I asked about having to run the volume so much higher on digital channels than I did on analog. They changed the compression from off to heavy and the volume literally jumped right out of the TV speakers. I am back to setting TV volume to around 25 or 30 instead of 45 to 55.
post #656 of 2061 Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thought I'd ask this here...
I have a DCH6416 and was previously an Insight Cable customer but Comcast "took over" our region (boo hoo).

Anyways, I turned on the box and TV on Monday night and I get a blue box on black background that says "One Moment Please ... Your channel will be available shortly" and that's it! Nothing else occurs - no TV, no nothing.

I call Comcast, they tried to send a signal (a "hit" ?) to the box - no response from the box. They sent out a tech the next day while I was at work since I told them that I live in a area of new construction and the cable line is just sticking out there on top of the ground! The tech confirmed the physical line and hook-up to the box(es) is fine. He said to try again when I got home.

I try again yesterday to no avail - same issue. Now they are telling me they'll probably have to swap the box and I'm going to lose ALL of my "Lost" recordings that I haven't yet watched, which really pisses me off.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to try and get this to work? They reviewed my account and the serial numbers, etc that they require on the account appear to be fine.

I REALLY don't want to lose my stuff!!!

Zoom-Zoom
post #657 of 2061 Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry to be somewhat off topic but James, do you have any opinion / reaction to this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271
post #658 of 2061 Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedSi View Post

Thought I'd ask this here...
I have a DCH6416 and was previously an Insight Cable customer but Comcast "took over" our region (boo hoo).

Anyways, I turned on the box and TV on Monday night and I get a blue box on black background that says "One Moment Please ... Your channel will be available shortly" and that's it! Nothing else occurs - no TV, no nothing.

I call Comcast, they tried to send a signal (a "hit" ?) to the box - no response from the box. They sent out a tech the next day while I was at work since I told them that I live in a area of new construction and the cable line is just sticking out there on top of the ground! The tech confirmed the physical line and hook-up to the box(es) is fine. He said to try again when I got home.

I try again yesterday to no avail - same issue. Now they are telling me they'll probably have to swap the box and I'm going to lose ALL of my "Lost" recordings that I haven't yet watched, which really pisses me off.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to try and get this to work? They reviewed my account and the serial numbers, etc that they require on the account appear to be fine.

I REALLY don't want to lose my stuff!!!

One moment please is usually an indication that the box cannot tune to the channel - try the line directly to the TV and see if you're expanded basic is working - if not you've got major signal issues

if that works, power cycle the box after reconnecting it and see if that brings back picture.

If that doesn't do the trick call into customer support and tell them you are having an issue with your box (that it works great without the box) and ask to verify the Serial number on the back of your box - you should have a serial number (MCARD Serial in the case of DCH boxes) that should be in their billing system - usually starts with GI, MA or M1 and is 12 characters long.

Chances are you've got a signal issue if you're getting "One Moment Please" (because if the box was not correctly authorized you'd get "Not Authorized") but with these steps you can rule out other issues

post #659 of 2061 Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Sorry to be somewhat off topic but James, do you have any opinion / reaction to this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

It's a little off-topic, however there's alot of people on the DVR threads on others who have asked alot of questions about the Digital Transition, ADS and other issues.

MSOs (including dish and IPTV operators) are going to get more and more competitive about having more services, the two ways they are going to compete is to reduce analog and compress / encrypt Digital / HD channels.

Personally I would think the entire point of having HD channels is improved picture quality, so if the picture quality is sacrificed, they are going to push away the very customers they are trying to convince to stay.

More than likely I would think that would only be a temporary measure until more bandwidth can be made availible. - But then again, I don't think they'd be doing it so systematically if that was the case...

There are also newer standards (I want to say MPEG4 but it could be 6) that will allow for greater compression without degredation, however that requires equipment upgrades (and some boxes are not compatible) - I think HBO is pushing hard to switch to hardware that will allow them to put all their feeds in HD quality while using the same amount of bandwidth from their Sat feeds (we'd have to either downconvert them or upgrade out boxes to decrypt - for most boxes that would be a firmware upgrade I believe)

I know within Charter the general plan is to migrate Analog channels (expanded basic) over to Digital and use the freed up bandwidth to launch new HDs. Generally you can get 2 to 3 HD networks PER analog that's converted. - I know most of our markets that have HD now should be seeing 10 more HD channels being added by the end of the year. If we drop to only 20 Analog channels, that should free up bandwidth enough for us to have all 71 expanded basic in Digital (up to 10 digitals per analog)

So I'm thinking in your better systems you should expect to have about 20 QAM channels dedicated to Analog and probably another 30 for SD Digital (yielding a max of 300 Digital SD Channels) and if used responsibly, probably 50 for HD (which should give 100 to 150 HDs) Of course getting from here to there will be the bumpy road.

The big bumps in the road will be the fact that cable companies are trying to do alot of upgrading and changes and none of them are really making a huge profit at this time (most of them are still paying off major debts from the dot-com boom when they were laying down fiber like there's no tomorrow...)

Time Warner and Comcast are in the best position - they're #1 and #2 in the nation with plenty of room before #3 (which was Charter at last check)

TW and Comcast also have major advantages as they are also Media holders (Comcast owns several sports networks and the InDemand PPV networks)

One thing that was a major point in that thread is that all major MSOs have made commitments to keep *SOME* analog access for three more years -

however as I understand it here, in our case it will be Basic only... most expanded will be migrated to digital only and require the use of a box or Card*.

It's important to note here that a very large population of "Digital" tuners including alot of the new ones coming out now for people wanting to decode digital broadcast are limited QAM tuners without CARD access - as such they will only show what's unencrypted - which will be the basic channels, local HDs and Digital feeds and if the market so chooses - Music feeds (Music Choice etc)

Digital tuner boxes without Cable Cards may be even more limited as the ones I've seen will only do about 60 channels (as they are intended for broadcast only) and therefore won't pick up the channels outside of that range, even if they are unencrypted.

But again I'm going more off topic - on the HDs, I think they made the wrong decision to sacrifice PQ to squeeze more in and I'd hope (for the customer's sake) that it's a short term issue that is only occuring until they can get more bandwidth in place.

post #660 of 2061 Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'd love to see a "Native" or selectable resolution support added to the Power Off, Menu setting for HD output.
Currently I have my Motorola output HD at 1080i because I tend to watch more 1080i channels. This looks the sharpest. Although if I watch 720P channels such as ESPN, ABC, FOX, or National Geographic, the image is slightly softer due to the nasty triple conversion.

ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc..
720p input from broadcaster > 1080i from box > 768p to my PDP.

Mojo, MHD, CBS, NBC, Discovery, TLC, etc..
1080i input from broadcaster > 768p to my PDP.

1080i channels look softer if I set the box to 720p, so I don't win either way. I just leave it at 1080i because I watch "mostly" 1080i channels.

The PACE and Scientific Atlanta HD boxes do this successfully. I don't see it being too big of an issue for the Motorola set top boxes. Hopefully Motorola has a firmware update in the works for this feature, and MSO's get this pushed out to customers. Many AV enthusiasts would be very grateful for this addition.

Do you think this kind of feature could in theory be added to the Motorola Firmware? Or do you think that this one feature would require a whole new motherboard / cpu revision? I don't think it's the later, but a simple programming routine to detect the current channel resolution and direct it through the appropriate decoder module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page