post #661 of 2061 Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

I'd love to see a "Native" or selectable resolution support added to the Power Off, Menu setting for HD output.
Currently I have my Motorola output HD at 1080i because I tend to watch more 1080i channels. This looks the sharpest. Although if I watch 720P channels such as ESPN, ABC, FOX, or National Geographic, the image is slightly softer due to the nasty triple conversion.

ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc..
720p input from broadcaster > 1080i from box > 768p to my PDP.

Mojo, MHD, CBS, NBC, Discovery, TLC, etc..
1080i input from broadcaster > 768p to my PDP.

1080i channels look softer if I set the box to 720p, so I don't win either way. I just leave it at 1080i because I watch "mostly" 1080i channels.

The PACE and Scientific Atlanta HD boxes do this successfully. I don't see it being too big of an issue for the Motorola set top boxes. Hopefully Motorola has a firmware update in the works for this feature, and MSO's get this pushed out to customers. Many AV enthusiasts would be very grateful for this addition.

Do you think this kind of feature could in theory be added to the Motorola Firmware? Or do you think that this one feature would require a whole new motherboard / cpu revision? I don't think it's the later, but a simple programming routine to detect the current channel resolution and direct it through the appropriate decoder module.

The BMC9021 / 9022 Digeo Moxi (made by Motorola) also have better resolution support - with those you select what "native" resolutions you want to use... so you select in 720 if you want 720s to be in 720 etc... so if you have 720 and 1080 checked in, both will show up as they were intended... if only 720 is hit - both will be in 720 if 1080 is only selected then 720 is upconverted by the box.

there's an aspect function listed for the box, so it should be only a matter of getting the guide / firmware matchup to enable this feature

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2061 Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

on the HDs, I think they made the wrong decision to sacrifice PQ to squeeze more in and I'd hope (for the customer's sake) that it's a short term issue that is only occuring until they can get more bandwidth in place.

Given the choice, as we were, between Sci-Fi SD and Sci-Fi HD 3:1, I have to say definitively that Sci-Fi HD 3:1 is much much better. I was ready to bolt to DirecTV, if we didn't get Sci-Fi HD before BSG began. Now, there is only one HD channel that Comcast doesn't offer me, and two HD channels that DirecTV wouldn't offer me, so Comcast, just by adding Sci-Fi HD is back in the lead in my book, and thereby kept my business. I think there are many many customers who will consider HD 3:1 better than SD. There are even some customers (not necessarily me) who prefer stretching video to fill the screen better than pillar boxing. So it is a wide spectrum out there, and I believe the MSOs have to aim to satisfy many different types of people.
post #663 of 2061 Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agreed..

3:1 HD 1920x1080i Destroys... I mean DESTROYS 12:1 SD 576x480i

I'm glad we got the new HD channels. Better than nothing!

Hey maybe someday the codec will improve, or there will be extra bandwidth found to bring those channels back to 2:1 compression, but for now you gotta do what you gotta do!
post #664 of 2061 Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Hello, I recently got a DCT6416 III and am having problems with audio cut outs. Every 30 seconds - 1 minute the audio will cut out for a split second. I am running HDMI to my receiver.

I have tried:

Messing with HDMI audio output options in the "Power > Menu" menu.

Trying different levels of compression.

Switching between "Stereo" and "Matrix".

Nothing seems to work. If this is an HDMI issue, using optical for sound is an option. How would I set the box up for optical sound and HDMI video?

Thanks for the help.
post #665 of 2061 Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norem View Post

Nothing seems to work. If this is an HDMI issue, using optical for sound is an option. How would I set the box up for optical sound and HDMI video?

Thanks for the help.

I use HDMI out to TV and optical to the rcvr and it works fine. Get PLII on SD and Dolby D ES on HD channels(older 6.1 rcvr). The optical out is live without having to do anything to the box. I(and others) have a difference in volume levels between SD and HD with SD being louder, but no-one in the forum here has any help for a fix, so I/we just put up with it.
post #666 of 2061 Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwdatt View Post

I use HDMI out to TV and optical to the rcvr and it works fine. Get PLII on SD and Dolby D ES on HD channels(older 6.1 rcvr). The optical out is live without having to do anything to the box. I(and others) have a difference in volume levels between SD and HD with SD being louder, but no-one in the forum here has any help for a fix, so I/we just put up with it.

I just tried Optical... it's MUCH worse. Perhaps I have a defective DVR.
post #667 of 2061 Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Bingo. Pulled another DVR (the same model) from a different room and it works perfectly. What a pain in the ass.
post #668 of 2061 Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norem View Post

Bingo. Pulled another DVR (the same model) from a different room and it works perfectly. What a pain in the ass.

That's good news. So with the box swap out, I presume you are now using HDMI to rcvr to tv? If so, are you having any handshake issues? Does it work every time?
post #669 of 2061 Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userb View Post

I have a DCH3416 connected to an AVR receiver. I record a fair amount of shows on various channels, but when I record one show (the Daily Show) I mostly get a green screen when I play it back (probably about 75% of the time). This can be corrected by pressing the format button. Anyone know of a permanent solution for this? Anyone aware of a remote code for the format button? It's not that big of a deal, but I may trade in the box for another one if it gets too annoying.

Found the answer here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13524611
post #670 of 2061 Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by userb View Post

Found the answer here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13524611

The 00109 code works with the Comcast remote or the "One for All" remotes which are made by the same company. For some One for All remotes the code may be just 109.
post #671 of 2061 Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM

I am having a problem connecting a DCH3416 to a new TV. The video path is Charter cable in to the 3416, HDMI out from the 3416 to HDMI in on a video processor (DVDO VP50), and HDMI out from the VP50 to HDMI in on the display. The display lists the 3416's channel but indicates it is unavailable. The display changes channels in tandem with the 3416 but the message remains the same. Charter has remotely reset the 3416 without success.

Is this an HDMI handshake problem? Should I restart all the components? In what order? Any other ideas?
post #672 of 2061 Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Try running one HDMI cable from your 3416 directly to your TV. If that fixes it, you have proved that your VP50 is the problem. If it doesn't, then your 6416 is the problem, it is not talking to the head end.

Bobby 

post #673 of 2061 Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post

I am having a problem connecting a DCH3416 to a new TV. The video path is Charter cable in to the 3416, HDMI out from the 3416 to HDMI in on a video processor (DVDO VP50), and HDMI out from the VP50 to HDMI in on the display. The display lists the 3416's channel but indicates it is unavailable. The display changes channels in tandem with the 3416 but the message remains the same. Charter has remotely reset the 3416 without success.

Is this an HDMI handshake problem? Should I restart all the components? In what order? Any other ideas?

1) try a direct connection to the TV - if you get the same result, power-cycle the TV.

2) check your TV menus to make sure HDMI inputs do not have to be turned on (I just dealt with a pioneer Elite which had this issue)

3) if your input is on (or doesn't have to be turned on) and the TV powercycle doesn't do it, then try a box power cycle while connected to the TV.

I'd try things without the home theater first - alot of HT Receivers do not pass the encryption properly - this way you know it works before you try to work the receiver in.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #674 of 2061 Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:

I'd love to see a "Native" or selectable resolution support added to the Power Off, Menu setting for HD output.
Currently I have my Motorola output HD at 1080i because I tend to watch more 1080i channels. This looks the sharpest. Although if I watch 720P channels such as ESPN, ABC, FOX, or National Geographic, the image is slightly softer due to the nasty triple conversion.

ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc..

1080i channels look softer if I set the box to 720p, so I don't win either way. I just leave it at 1080i because I watch "mostly" 1080i channels.

The PACE and Scientific Atlanta HD boxes do this successfully. I don't see it being too big of an issue for the Motorola set top boxes. Hopefully Motorola has a firmware update in the works for this feature, and MSO's get this pushed out to customers. Many AV enthusiasts would be very grateful for this addition.

Do you think this kind of feature could in theory be added to the Motorola Firmware? Or do you think that this one feature would require a whole new motherboard / cpu revision? I don't think it's the later, but a simple programming routine to detect the current channel resolution and direct it through the appropriate decoder module.

How does one determine the native resolution of the channel being watched on a DCH-3416?
post #675 of 2061 Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Would love to see that support as well.

Quote:

ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc..

post #676 of 2061 Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

1) try a direct connection to the TV - if you get the same result, power-cycle the TV.

2) check your TV menus to make sure HDMI inputs do not have to be turned on (I just dealt with a pioneer Elite which had this issue)

3) if your input is on (or doesn't have to be turned on) and the TV powercycle doesn't do it, then try a box power cycle while connected to the TV.

I'd try things without the home theater first - alot of HT Receivers do not pass the encryption properly - this way you know it works before you try to work the receiver in.

Tried all three steps and still no success. Any other ideas?
post #677 of 2061 Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy B. View Post

How does one determine the native resolution of the channel being watched on a DCH-3416?

I don't think it's possible to do through the box. There are various listings floating around the web, including in the first post of this thread.
post #678 of 2061 Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

I don't think it's possible to do through the box. There are various listings floating around the web, including in the first post of this thread.

Once your on the channel you wish to check, power off the box and quickly push OK/Select. Scroll down to d10 Audio/Video Status diagnostic.

For example, I'm tuned to Ch 148, FUSE I see: Input Format: 4:3 704×480i 30
Next I tune to Ch 229 MHD, I see Input Format: 16:9 1920×1080i 30

So obviously the current firmware needs to know the input format so it knows how to scale the current output. If it simply reads this input format register, it could key the scaler with the correct output resolution.
post #679 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Is there anything in the works to allow an external hard drive on these DVRs? That is a very attractive feature that is starting to make me wonder whether I should start considering one of the sat providers again.
post #680 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Is there anything in the works to allow an external hard drive on these DVRs? That is a very attractive feature that is starting to make me wonder whether I should start considering one of the sat providers again.

I'm hoping it's enabled soon - if Motorola set things up similarly in the different boxes they've made, then it stands to reason that HD expansion will be a function built into the guide application. I'm hoping we'll see that functionality with A25 (TV-guide)

The way I figure it...with the digital transition ramping up over the next year, we should hopefully see OCAP (Open Cable) guide and VOD applications within a year... at which point if Motorola wants to retail the 64xx/34xx platform they'd better make sure that functionality is there if they want to compete with Moxi and Tivo

post #681 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Mmmm...

A25. It's been a while since an update.
Been a while since Comcast put info on A25 on their website.

"next several weeks". That was at the turn of the year.
We must be close.

Hoping for a firmware update as well.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #682 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Native or Selectable video resolution support for HD and eSATA expansion are two key features that make the SA/Cisco and Pace set tops stand out over Motorola. Pace has it working through their own firmware, so no modifications are necessary to the I-Guide software.

If Motorola gets these to feature to work in a near future update, I will be one happy cable subscriber.
post #683 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Any idea when A25 might be coming, James?
post #684 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Not that it helps in other parts of the country, but Comcast is starting to release at least updated firmware (not sure about the A25 guide) in the Boston area for some boxes. REC light is coming back to the DCH series!

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #685 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been fighting with Comcast to get those rec lights back on since September!
I'm actually inbetween conversations right now with Comcast executive customer service
and the local media regarding this issue. Perhaps we're near a solution.......???
post #686 of 2061 Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

I've been fighting with Comcast to get those rec lights back on since September!
I'm actually inbetween conversations right now with Comcast executive customer service
and the local media regarding this issue. Perhaps we're near a solution.......???

Putting up the good fight

Cheers! To you sir.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #687 of 2061 Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Once your on the channel you wish to check, power off the box and quickly push OK/Select. Scroll down to d10 Audio/Video Status diagnostic.

For example, I'm tuned to Ch 148, FUSE I see: Input Format: 4:3 704×480i 30
Next I tune to Ch 229 MHD, I see Input Format: 16:9 1920×1080i 30

So obviously the current firmware needs to know the input format so it knows how to scale the current output. If it simply reads this input format register, it could key the scaler with the correct output resolution.

When I go to that diagnostic page it shows output as NTSC. What is that trying to say. I am getting HD as far as I know
post #688 of 2061 Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM

SD channels look better on my proj with this set to off. When I turn of my proj off for the night (dvr left on) the setting is changed to 480i when I next view the proj. I have to power off>menu to change this. Any suggestions on how to save this setting? Thanks
post #689 of 2061 Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Native or Selectable video resolution support for HD and eSATA expansion are two key features that make the SA/Cisco and Pace set tops stand out over Motorola. Pace has it working through their own firmware, so no modifications are necessary to the I-Guide software.

If Motorola gets these to feature to work in a near future update, I will be one happy cable subscriber.

It all depends - Again I'm surmising because the Digeo Moxi BMC9012 (Manufactured by Motorola) required a guide software update to enable remote expansion that it may be as tied into TV-guide as it is to the base firmware. Also different hardware platforms use different apps for the same guide - even between similar models (such as DCT 2000 and DCT2500)

at either rate I know for alot of systems they won't upgrade one (Guide or Firmware) without the other... so keep praying for a update!

(personally I can't wait for A25 to resolve issues with DVR recording and VOD errors)

post #690 of 2061 Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

When I go to that diagnostic page it shows output as NTSC. What is that trying to say. I am getting HD as far as I know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

NTSC is standard format for Analog output - this is normal - and refers largely to the SD outputs on the box.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page