post #691 of 2061 Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

NTSC is standard format for Analog output - this is normal - and refers largely to the SD outputs on the box.

I understand that analog is NTSC

All my channels are digital. So I do not understand why it is showing NTSC. On the other diagnostic screen it shows them as digital (digital SD or digital HD)

Is that just telling me what the output would be if I hooked into the composite output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 2061 Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

I understand that analog is NTSC

All my channels are digital. So I do not understand why it is showing NTSC. On the other diagnostic screen it shows them as digital (digital SD or digital HD)

Is that just telling me what the output would be if I hooked into the composite output?

It's telling you the output for the Coax/RF SD - the boxes by nature convert the signal down to analog to talk to normal TVs with the HDMI and Firewire giving the unit access to the unconverted digital feed.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #693 of 2061 Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Mmmm...

A25. It's been a while since an update.
Been a while since Comcast put info on A25 on their website.

"next several weeks". That was at the turn of the year.
We must be close.

Hoping for a firmware update as well.

Could this be it?
post #694 of 2061 Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM

My biggest gripe with my unit is, you can set it to record only new shows but it will record the same show 2 or 3 times in the same week if you let it, is their a tweak or work around for this? IE: if I tape a new epi of John Adams on hbo sunday night, Wednesday it will record the same show over...some shows on SPIKE which are reruns from 2006 it will still record those too...? Maybe the upgrade will rid this too? This was my MOXI replacement and to be honest my MOXI worked better when the hardware was'nt an issue plus I could add extra hd storeage (hard drive) to my MOXI too...

Regards,
Todd
post #695 of 2061 Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todbnla View Post

My biggest gripe with my unit is, you can set it to record only new shows but it will record the same show 2 or 3 times in the same week if you let it, is their a tweak or work around for this? IE: if I tape a new epi of John Adams on hbo sunday night, Wednesday it will record the same show over...some shows on SPIKE which are reruns from 2006 it will still record those too...? Maybe the upgrade will rid this too? This was my MOXI replacement and to be honest my MOXI worked better when the hardware was'nt an issue plus I could add extra hd storeage (hard drive) to my MOXI too...

I hope so - TVG pushes it as their solution for just about everything... I was told we'd have it by Q1 2008... that's almost over.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #696 of 2061 Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Hello All

-and thanks for your help ahead of time!

QUESTION:

Is it possible for the Motorola 3412 to support 2 outputs at the same time?

I have a Samsung HDTV connected via HDMI and would like to pipe the same show [via RF Out] to a Happaugue TV card in my computer simultaneously.

I momentarily tried it and was successful . . . will any damage be done long term?

Again, THANKS!

Bob Miller
post #697 of 2061 Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As some of you guys are already noticing......
I've just received an update from my Comcast management source that they are in the process of pushing out the new codes for these units now. This involves the new Guide/A25 and both software & firmware updates, including the fix for the red recording lights.
post #698 of 2061 Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM

When we were getting our SD channels via analog our channel 99 had the TV Guide programing at the top and the channel line up crawal at the bottom.

Since going all digital the TV Guide program is still on 99 but the channel line up crawl at the bottom is gone. My feed back is that is the way it is going to be.

My question, is that a local decision , corporate decision, or what. The wife would prefer the channel line up crawl still be there. Also, is anybody else encountering similar?
post #699 of 2061 Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller2 View Post

Hello All

QUESTION:

I have a Samsung HDTV connected via HDMI and would like to pipe the same show [via RF Out] to a Happaugue TV card in my computer simultaneously.

I momentarily tried it and was successful . . . will any damage be done long term?

Again, THANKS!

Bob Miller

I do it all the time (HDMI to TV + S-video to DVD Recorder). Works fine.
post #700 of 2061 Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Hello All

QUESTION:

Again, THANKS!

Bob Miller

Mine worked with ALL outputs hooked up at once (so I could switch between for my sake, and to demo HD for family). I used HDMI, Firewire (best), component, and plain composite, along with optical and analog audio.

will work for sushi
post #701 of 2061 Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 AM

Kil4Thril and RockyMountainD:

Thank you for your replies and insight!

Bob Miller
post #702 of 2061 Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Question. Is running in RGB ideal with the Motorola DCH-6416? I have a Samsung LN-T3253H and using hdmi. My tv does support RGB. I was told when using a hd-dvr box. RGB is best to use. Within my tv's setting I can adjust hdmi black level. My choices are Normal or Low. I was told to use Normal with RGB enabled within the dvr box settings.
post #703 of 2061 Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello All

QUESTION:

Again, THANKS!

Bob Miller

Nope, all outputs are hot and active at the same time - so you can output to the computer all you want

there's only one very minor glitch.

If you've got your box set up for a resolution higher than 480i and you tune to an HD channel, the RF out (or any other SD output) will not show the guide overlay. Since this isn't your main viewing screen (I'm assuming you're using this for video capture) it shouldn't be an issue.

to view the guide overlay with that output you'll need to tune to a channel who's native resolution is 480 or set your box to 480i

****edit****
Also as an aside for those who haven't played with Firewire - bear in mind 2 things (I wanted to add this with the mention of firewire there)

1) Firewire, by design, is an unadulterated digital output - therefore there's no overlay for the box's interface - reguardless of resolution.

2) The FCC requires MSOs to have Firewire enabled boxes - the ports should always be enabled, however there can be other issues such as content encryption and devices which have a hard time with the encryption handshake.

In general 90% of the people at your local cable company have no idea how to use it - of the 10% that remain, most of them will not know how to use your specific hardware etc. As such be prepared to do alot of forum diving and research!

post #704 of 2061 Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

Question. Is running in RGB ideal with the Motorola DCH-6416? I have a Samsung LN-T3253H and using hdmi. My tv does support RGB. I was told when using a hd-dvr box. RGB is best to use. Within my tv's setting I can adjust hdmi black level. My choices are Normal or Low. I was told to use Normal with RGB enabled within the dvr box settings.

I've heard people argue all day long the virtues of the different connections. I personally have not really seen a noticable difference unless you use very low-grade connections.

best advice is to give it a shot and have your friends and family compare the outputs (movie nights are great for this)

post #705 of 2061 Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I will do that. But, do I have it setup properly? I noticed on my hd channels. How can I describe this. If I go to a channel. And it has the bars since they are not streaming hd content at the time. The bars are completely gray and not black. When viewing a actual hd channel the picture has a grey look to it. Is this due to mixed signals or some thing? I just assumed since I have my 360 set to Normal for black level within my tv settings. And Extended within the 360 settings. I have things properly set up with the hd-dvr. But, I am hearing RGB is mainly for games 0-255. I am so confused.

Quote:

I've heard people argue all day long the virtues of the different connections. I personally have not really seen a noticable difference unless you use very low-grade connections.

best advice is to give it a shot and have your friends and family compare the outputs (movie nights are great for this)

post #706 of 2061 Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will do that. But, do I have it setup properly? I noticed on my hd channels. How can I describe this. If I go to a channel. And it has the bars since they are not streaming hd content at the time. The bars are completely gray and not black. When viewing a actual hd channel the picture has a grey look to it. Is this due to mixed signals or some thing? I just assumed since I have my 360 set to Normal for black level within my tv settings. And Extended within the 360 settings. I have things properly set up with the hd-dvr. But, I am hearing RGB is mainly for games 0-255. I am so confused.

That is odd - if you're seeing it on the RGB rather than the HDMI with the same black level, then I'd check the connection and possibly use different wires.

one advantage of Digital output is you have more absolute values - things are compressed and encoded etc - whereas with analog things get fuzzy - of course for some people this is part of the experience and has a certain charistic warmth (such as those who go great lengths to run their audio through high end Vacuum Tube systems)

Personally I use Digital wherever possible

post #707 of 2061 Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I found the culprit. It has to do with the Brightness. I guess when using RGB. Brightness by default is extremely bright and needs to be recalibrated.

Quote:

That is odd - if you're seeing it on the RGB rather than the HDMI with the same black level, then I'd check the connection and possibly use different wires.

one advantage of Digital output is you have more absolute values - things are compressed and encoded etc - whereas with analog things get fuzzy - of course for some people this is part of the experience and has a certain charistic warmth (such as those who go great lengths to run their audio through high end Vacuum Tube systems)

Personally I use Digital wherever possible

post #708 of 2061 Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I found the culprit. It has to do with the Brightness. I guess when using RGB. Brightness by default is extremely bright and needs to be recalibrated.

Good deal!

post #709 of 2061 Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 AM

James-

Thank you also for your feedback.

As you perceived, the Guide is of no significance for me.

Bob Miller
post #710 of 2061 Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:

I think there is a setting that you can change the color of the bars as they "broadcast" from the box (but this MAY be on my D*).

will work for sushi
post #711 of 2061 Old 04-13-2008, 08:03 AM

I have a Moto DCH3416 from Comcast. It is hooked up via hdmi 1.3a cables to a Sony STR-DG810 receiver and then to my Samsung LNT5271FX LCD TV. When I set the 4:3 override to 480P, the 4:3 channels look great, but after a short period of time (less than 1 day), the 4:3 override keeps getting reset to "off", forcing me to set it to 480P almost daily. Comcast came out and replaced the box, but it still happens. Any ideas? I haven't seen any posts about this but I hope someone has seen this issue and there is a solution.
Thanks!
post #712 of 2061 Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcwoodwerker View Post

I have a Moto DCH3416 from Comcast. It is hooked up via hdmi 1.3a cables to a Sony STR-DG810 receiver and then to my Samsung LNT5271FX LCD TV. When I set the 4:3 override to 480P, the 4:3 channels look great, but after a short period of time (less than 1 day), the 4:3 override keeps getting reset to "off", forcing me to set it to 480P almost daily. Comcast came out and replaced the box, but it still happens. Any ideas? I haven't seen any posts about this but I hope someone has seen this issue and there is a solution.
Thanks!

Since you have swapped boxes the only think I can think of is that either the Samsung or the sony is sending the box a signal to do this. Try hooking the box directly to the Samsung for a day and see if it still happens. I have the DCH box directly hooked up to a Samsung HLT6757 also with the override at 480p and I have never had a problem.
post #713 of 2061 Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 PM

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I replaced by old Motorola DCT-3412 with a DCH-3416 about 3 months ago. It is connected to my Pioneer Elite PRO-110FD with HDMI and I have no trouble with the audio or video. We do prefer to keep the cable box on at all times, particularly since there are apparently no good discrete ON/OFF universal remote codes. However, several times per week, seemingly at random, we find our DCT-3416 in STANDBY mode. The only devices we actually ever turn off are the TV and the Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD (connected to the TV with a separate HDMI cable). When we turn on the system with our universal remote (turns on the TV and DVD), we get no picture because the STB is inexplicably in STANDBY mode.

I haven't found any other posts about this issue, so I am soliciting the help from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. The SW version is 74.54-4003 and the FW version is 18.34.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Electric Stu
post #714 of 2061 Old 04-13-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have officially found a way to pass video only through hdmi and audio only through optical. I have a Samsung LN-T3253H and a Motorola DCH-6416. I have been asking and asking about this only to been told it cannot be done. About is close as I got to find a answer to this. Some one replied in this thread saying a guy found the method on how to seperate the audio/video but he could not remember. All you have to do is go into the DCH-6416 main menu. Power off box and hit menu. Go to additional hdmi settings. Switch it to DVI. Hit menu twice to save your settings. Then power back on box. Now go into Setup within the tv settings and make sure HDMI Black Level is set to Low. Power down the dvr box then power down the tv. Power up dvr box. Then power up tv. Now you have hdmi for video passing through and sound passing using your optical cable. Setup may vary with other tvs. But, this is the method for Sammy lcd's when running hdmi for video and optical for sound. With out using this method. Some how the box passes hdmi audio and optical sound together. So, I would get slight audio drop outs some times. Now it is completely gone.

**EDIT**

I forgot to add one important thing or this method will not work. With in the tv settings. Name HDMI 1 input to PC.
post #715 of 2061 Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Anyone know of a capture card that has COMPONENT as an input rather than svideo/composite, etc? Since the HDMI and component outputs are active at the same time. Just wondering.
post #716 of 2061 Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Carver View Post

Anyone know of a capture card that has COMPONENT as an input rather than svideo/composite, etc? Since the HDMI and component outputs are active at the same time. Just wondering.

Like this?
post #717 of 2061 Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM

My son is getting ready to buy a new HDTV. I told him I would try to get some info regarding cable cards for the TVs. My Sony did not have the cable card slot, but since then, it appears as though most mfg have quit pushing cable card ready TVs.

So what is status of cable cards for TV and to make it part of this forum, are they the same cards as go into the Tivos? And lastly, last I had read they were not two way compatible. If not how is Tivo handling this?

All info appreciated.
post #718 of 2061 Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My son is getting ready to buy a new HDTV. I told him I would try to get some info regarding cable cards for the TVs. My Sony did not have the cable card slot, but since then, it appears as though most mfg have quit pushing cable card ready TVs.

So what is status of cable cards for TV and to make it part of this forum, are they the same cards as go into the Tivos? And lastly, last I had read they were not two way compatible. If not how is Tivo handling this?

All info appreciated.

Same cards as TiVo and Moto DCH boxes.

The cards themselves are two-way; it's the hardware (TiVo, TV, etc.) that is or isn't.

You can google "tivo tuning resolver" for info on how TiVo will continue to work in the SDV/two-way world.
post #719 of 2061 Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

All info appreciated.

For Motorola based sytems there's 3 major types of cable card

The first cards were S-Cards - these are all one way. Later they started branding them M-Cards - which were designed to decode multiple video streams (like a dual tuner DVR does) - these can run 2 way, but because of their similarity to the older pre 2007 cards they are usually configured as S Cards.

The newest cards are the M Modules or M Cards - these are the most common card out today. The Red card is a 2 way card with the blue being one way. I've not seen any one way cards here in my system and I'm assuming Charter is probably not looking to increase it's "one way" inventory.

Compatiblity is largely determined by the firmware on the Card.

While the cards are all made to Cablelabs specs, as should most cable card based TVs, the reality is, most TVs will have a problem with at least one or two card firmwares. As a result we don't tend to push out different versions of base firmware, since we don't want to risk killing a customer's service because their TV isn't compatible with a card firmware. (though as I understand it, eventually we're going to have to)

Right all of the DCH boxes are using the Red M-Card inside of them - Tivo HDs can use a M Card and be able to decode both tuners on a single card (SIIIs still require 2 cards, even if they are M Cards)

The biggest problems with cable cards are

1) no universal applications
2) complex setup

#1 will hopefully be resolved as OCAP applications make for a universal platform for guide applications (or at least guide data) and hopefully 2 way services such as SDV and VOD.

Now now you're pretty much reliant on whatever software your cable card device uses - in the case of TIVO, you've got their software for a base application and guide (but you'll need a broadband connection to update it) Most TVs which still hvae cablecard will use a basic TV-Guide like application which pulls it's channel information from your local PBS feeds (it's encrypted in the metadata of the broadcast)

The second issue is more to do with the individual model of TV and it's degree of complexity. Each TV company seems to have gleefully re-invented the wheel with their cable card enabled TVs... so almost every major Make and Model of TV will not work the exact same way... and frequently there are incompatibility issues, be it the card firmware or the TV's firmware. On top of all that... if there's an issue with the TV, the TV retailer and Manufacturer are often ill-equipped to support it and will refer you to the MSO again... Even when the issue is their hardware (I've had this issue with Pioneer and LG)

As for TVs and CableCards... most Manufacturers have gone through customer feedback and polls which they say indicate only 3% of the market with card enabled TVs actually use cards... so they started cutting back on them. Ironically they do this just as MSOs are forced to use Card Based boxes. (which to me would be when the market is set to gear up...)

Most your top line units will have models which have cable cards, otherwise they will just come with QAM tuners.

QAM tuners will give you digital broadcasting, but it will not allow you to access anything your local cable company chooses to encrypt.

Right now probably the most common Cablecard device with fairly strong support is TIVO. The Series III and HD should both have two way capability in the near future (there's a USB dongle that should allow it to support 2 way communications) and the HD supports the M Card for both streams.

post #720 of 2061 Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

As for TVs and CableCards... most Manufacturers have gone through customer feedback and polls which they say indicate only 3% of the market with card enabled TVs actually use cards... so they started cutting back on them. Ironically they do this just as MSOs are forced to use Card Based boxes. (which to me would be when the market is set to gear up...)

Not ironic at all, because the Boxes MSOs are using are two-way, while TV manufacturers still only have a one-way standard to use. Once there is a two-way standard in place, several, if not all, TV manufacturers will implement it. Several have already committed to implementing tru2way through CC in TVs.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page