post #751 of 2061 Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Oh, yes, I knew there was another way, but calling it the TV guide on the short menu threw me off

Who called it that?  I don't see anyone's having used that term for the Short Menu nor for the Main Menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 2061 Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just finished reading the thread and would like to say Thanks for all the great info.
I just replaced a dead Moxi with a DCH3416. Have a couple of quick questions:
1. Read a lot about not turning the box off. I have been using the "System" button to power the box and tv at the same time. How would I use the Charter remote to turn off the tv and leave the box on?

2. What exactly is "4:3 override". I've got a 1080p Panny what should I set this to?

Thanks again!
post #753 of 2061 Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydn1 View Post

Just finished reading the thread and would like to say Thanks for all the great info.
I just replaced a dead Moxi with a DCH3416. Have a couple of quick questions:
1. Read a lot about not turning the box off. I have been using the "System" button to power the box and tv at the same time. How would I use the Charter remote to turn off the tv and leave the box on?

2. What exactly is "4:3 override". I've got a 1080p Panny what should I set this to?

Thanks again!

Check out the wiki book here. There are sections dedicated to the remote and setup which should help.
post #754 of 2061 Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Check out the wiki book here. There are sections dedicated to the remote and setup which should help.

The remote featured int the excellent wiki is the "Comcast silver remote". My Charter remote is slightly differerent and is not programed the same, nor does it facilitate the 30 second commercial skip control that is available on the Comcast remote. I bought two remotes off of ebay for about 10 bucks.

Re: 4:3 overide, I set mine at 480P and let my Sony "stretch it to fill the screen. It does a better job (my opinion) than the DVR and it only stretches the channels that need stretching. Basically the feedback on here is try each mode and see what looks best for you.
post #755 of 2061 Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM

My DCT6416 III (with Comcast) was scheduled to record 2 shows today but both recordings ended up blank. Just an hour of black screen. I think the problem is being caused when the box switches from one tuner to the other which causes that specific channel to freeze up. Any ideas?
post #756 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The remote featured int the excellent wiki is the "Comcast silver remote". My Charter remote is slightly differerent and is not programed the same, nor does it facilitate the 30 second commercial skip control that is available on the Comcast remote. I bought two remotes off of ebay for about 10 bucks.

Re: 4:3 overide, I set mine at 480P and let my Sony "stretch it to fill the screen. It does a better job (my opinion) than the DVR and it only stretches the channels that need stretching. Basically the feedback on here is try each mode and see what looks best for you.

Depends on the remote, there are 2 types of remotes that can be found in alot of our offices that do support the 30 second code - these are the Milennium 4 and one of the models with the rounded top section -

Look for the remotes with an actual setup button on them - those are usually the ones that support it

Also on the silver Charter remotes - be advised the PIP "SWAP" button comes pre-programmed to swap tuners on the box (though the other PIP functions are designed for TVs that support PIP)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #757 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Who called it that?* I don't see anyone's having used that term for the Short Menu nor for the Main Menu.

The official name is "Quick Menu" but it's not uncommon for customer service to call it either Short Menu, Bar Menu and other such terms

I like to refer people to the interactive tutorial at http://www.i-guide.tv

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #758 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

It's funny how different features hit different cable co's at different times (or even within the same company). We at Comcast have had this VOD access from the channel for a few years now.

yep, I've been told that A25 is in use outside of Charter, but from what I'm reading here no one's bragging about it if they are...

We tend to be behind on TV Guide (Charter) especially since i-guide because of our preference of having all the systems on the same version and having to wait for different VOD applications (because we don't all use the same VOD systems...)

On the other hand, it seems we are the leader of the pack when it comes to the BMC / Moxi boxes (then again that could just be because Paul Allen prefer's his MSO to use his other company's cable box )

post #759 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmth View Post

That is the correct solution. The "only seeing the corner of the screen" bug occurs when the menu screen's position is too far to the right, giving the box too little real estate in the corner to do its video shrinkage magic. To fix, go to screen position setup and nudge the position to the left a couple of pixels or so.

Good Deal, I had not thought to play with that - I'll have to remember it next time that comes up

post #760 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Who called it that?* I don't see anyone's having used that term for the Short Menu nor for the Main Menu.

If I push the menu button, I get the abbreviated menu bar that Charter James mentions. The first icon is labled thusly:

"TV Guide Main menu- go to the Main menu"

My point was I did not associate TV Guide main menu with setting up the DVR, how ever if you push yes/accept you get the set up. Charter or Motorola, or who ever named it that, not me.
post #761 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

yep, I've been told that A25 is in use outside of Charter, but from what I'm reading here no one's bragging about it if they are...

There's a huge issue with A25 and Seachange VOD client/server interaction. Something is breaking down in the communication to the set top as to which frequency and mpeg to tune, plus it doesn't teardown the channel correctly at the server end, so you end up with a bunch of 'ghost' vod programs until they ultimately time out after the program is done playing.
Big no no!!!!

So Seachange and Guideworks are working really hard to get a fix rolled out and tested. Interesting thing to note is that A25 is supposed to support SDV. Well perhaps something in the way Guideworks is interpreting dynamic mpeg session allocation and teardown is playing monkey with the way Seachange is communicating that information for VOD services.
post #762 of 2061 Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I push the menu button, I get the abbreviated menu bar that Charter James mentions. The first icon is labled thusly:

"TV Guide Main menu- go to the Main menu"

Seems every cable service area and certainly every cable provider has a different array of entries on the short menu and different names and icons even when the real thing is the same.  Thus, I did not understand how you associated "TV Guide" with it until you explained.

If you press "menu" twice you should arrive where I meant, no matter what it is called.
post #763 of 2061 Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM

Can you email me the method to cold intializing a DCH box? The DCT box method does not work. synapses11@gmail.com I'd appreciate it. thanks
post #764 of 2061 Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapses11 View Post

Can you email me the method to cold intializing a DCH box? The DCT box method does not work.

Have you read http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR or http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ola_DVR/Resets or http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...rola_DVR/Setup yet?  The answer is probably there.
post #765 of 2061 Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Some of those resets only work for the DCT series. The DCH's are a little different, as in there's no real way to do some of them.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #766 of 2061 Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapses11 View Post

Can you email me the method to cold intializing a DCH box? The DCT box method does not work. synapses11@gmail.com I'd appreciate it. thanks

You could always call customer service and ask them to do it
post #767 of 2061 Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

There's a huge issue with A25 and Seachange VOD client/server interaction. Something is breaking down in the communication to the set top as to which frequency and mpeg to tune, plus it doesn't teardown the channel correctly at the server end, so you end up with a bunch of 'ghost' vod programs until they ultimately time out after the program is done playing.
Big no no!!!!

So Seachange and Guideworks are working really hard to get a fix rolled out and tested. Interesting thing to note is that A25 is supposed to support SDV. Well perhaps something in the way Guideworks is interpreting dynamic mpeg session allocation and teardown is playing monkey with the way Seachange is communicating that information for VOD services.

Yeah, that doesn't suprise me... They fix certain problems but hose others.
Though, while it's not out there as major public knowledge - A24 will support SDV as well as I understand it (there's a sub-version)

We are running SDV in Ashville

post #768 of 2061 Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Some of those resets only work for the DCT series. The DCH's are a little different, as in there's no real way to do some of them.

Most the DCHs I've played with will take the 3 finger salute no issues - the exception are the DCH 100 & 200 models (which have no buttons on the front) - I can't say for sure if the DCH 3416 and DCH 3200 (or whatever the Digital only HD box is) will act the same - but here we've had no issues "saluting" the DCH 6412 and DCH 6200

post #769 of 2061 Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good morning,

Just thought I'd post this up here for people taking notes and looking at how to deal with issues -

I had recently been dealing with a customer who bought a very nice 52in LG flatscreen and was experiencing *pops* in the audio when using HDMI. Unfortunately the contractors and techs that were being sent where not familar with the menu and therefore the box was swapped out 3 or more times trying to find the problem.

After working with the last tech to visit I walked him through the audio settings and told him what to experiment with, I don't know if he tried all of them, but the tech's final solution was to switch to component output (which did fix the audio issue)

At that point the box would jump resolutions on SD channels when first turned on. Now many people might notice a single *pop* or flicker as the box first turns on and adjusts to the resolution - but what was odd here was the Resolution indicator on the front of the DCH would cut off with the picture cutting off and it would do this 10, 15 times before finally showing the picture. This is caused by the TV and the Box "over processing" - the box tries to groom the picture one way and the TV tries to groom it another.

This was resolved by going into the settings menu (power then Menu)
and changing the 4:3 Override to "Stretch"

At this point the picture immediately came up without issue and filled the entire screen (though the guide interface would float in the middle like it does when viewing a resolution higher than 420i)

This should also work well if someone sees the same issue on a DCH series 3416 or 6416

post #770 of 2061 Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Good morning,

Just thought I'd post this up here for people taking notes and looking at how to deal with issues -

I had recently been dealing with a customer who bought a very nice 52in LG flatscreen and was experiencing *pops* in the audio when using HDMI. Unfortunately the contractors and techs that were being sent where not familar with the menu and therefore the box was swapped out 3 or more times trying to find the problem.

After working with the last tech to visit I walked him through the audio settings and told him what to experiment with, I don't know if he tried all of them, but the tech's final solution was to switch to component output (which did fix the audio issue)

At that point the box would jump resolutions on SD channels when first turned on. Now many people might notice a single *pop* or flicker as the box first turns on and adjusts to the resolution - but what was odd here was the Resolution indicator on the front of the DCH would cut off with the picture cutting off and it would do this 10, 15 times before finally showing the picture. This is caused by the TV and the Box "over processing" - the box tries to groom the picture one way and the TV tries to groom it another.

This was resolved by going into the settings menu (power then Menu)
and changing the 4:3 Override to "Stretch"

At this point the picture immediately came up without issue and filled the entire screen (though the guide interface would float in the middle like it does when viewing a resolution higher than 420i)

This should also work well if someone sees the same issue on a DCH series 3416 or 6416

Hmm...I've had SD "green flash" problems with my LG LCD / DCH3416 for a while now. I've always set 4:3 OVERRIDE to 480i. Wonder if changing this setting would make the flashes go away.
post #771 of 2061 Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Hmm...I've had SD "green flash" problems with my LG LCD / DCH3416 for a while now. I've always set 4:3 OVERRIDE to 480i. Wonder if changing this setting would make the flashes go away.

It was a little green when it flashed - give it a shot, let me know what happens

post #772 of 2061 Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

DCH6416. How do you enable the volume on the box? I need to turn it down and then lock it back out again. Also. Are you able to mute it and then lock it out again?

**EDIT**

N/m. I got it figured out.
post #773 of 2061 Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

DCH6416. How do you enable the volume on the box? I need to turn it down and then lock it back out again. Also. Are you able to mute it and then lock it out again?

**EDIT**

ok, I was going to say you don't want to mute the box volume because that will cut the audio output -

Usually I recommend just going to the audio settings and hitting "yes" for optimal stereo (this puts the box on about 80% of it's volume level)

post #774 of 2061 Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

**EDIT**

Do not know what you mean lock it back out. So please share what you did, maybe others can benefit
post #775 of 2061 Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do not know what you mean lock it back out. So please share what you did, maybe others can benefit

Volume lock is more a function of the remote than the box - by default the bos is usually set to "stereo optimal". Checking my box that's about 4 marks down from MAX. If you have the box set to it's own volume you'll get a little notation that says "STEREO" when you hit that mark.

Most remotes are set to lock the Volume on the TV. You can change this (instructions are in your remote manual - most remotes have instructions that can be found here http://webpages.charter.net/remotes/ )

You can lock the volume to any specific device

Remotes are set by default to lock TV and Cable Box to TV, but can lock Cable to Cable and TV to TV - At home I set mine so that Aux, DVD, TV and Cbl are all locked to my Aux (home theater) At work I lock each function to it's own device so I can control the cable box as needed.

Example -
At home I have mine locked to the Aux device (my home theater) - because of the lock it does not matter if I hit the DVR, TV or Cable buttons at the top, Volume and Mute will always be handled by my home theater.

Now on the new "standard" silver remote we are supposed to be using with the DVRs you should be able to set it like so:

Hold the device button you want to lock & ok/Sel for 3 seconds
Press VOL +
Press the Device button you want to lock Audio to

Generally whatever your main audio is going to be (usually TV) you'll want to lock Cable on that so that it doesn't matter if you hit the TV button or the CBL button you'll be adjusting your TV volume.

post #776 of 2061 Old 05-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Well, I probably should have posted this in here to begin with...sorry

I have a DCT6416 III Motorola box provided to me by Cox communications. I have been able to get into the diagnostic menu and saw that the PVR features were disabled. Is there a menu I can access where I can change that setting? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
post #777 of 2061 Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl42 View Post

Well, I probably should have posted this in here to begin with...sorry

I have a DCT6416 III Motorola box provided to me by Cox communications. I have been able to get into the diagnostic menu and saw that the PVR features were disabled. Is there a menu I can access where I can change that setting? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

No problem,
It sounds like Comcast is using some sort of Billing flag to turn on or off the DVR function and if so, it's got to be set up correctly in billing.

The only other thing I know that disables the DVR is when the guide hasn't loaded

post #778 of 2061 Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM

"by default the bos is usually set to "stereo optimal". Checking my box that's about 4 marks down from MAX. If you have the box set to it's own volume you'll get a little notation that says "STEREO" when you hit that mark."

Coould you expand on this. How do you get to that menu or what ever it is?
post #779 of 2061 Old 05-21-2008, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

"by default the bos is usually set to "stereo optimal". Checking my box that's about 4 marks down from MAX. If you have the box set to it's own volume you'll get a little notation that says "STEREO" when you hit that mark."

Coould you expand on this. How do you get to that menu or what ever it is?

No problem,

hit Menu twice (first for the "Quick Menu" and again for the main menu)
Drop down to "Setup"
Drop down to "Audio Setup"

The Second option in Audio Setup is "Optimal Stereo"
This will reset the box's volume level to the "Stereo" marker

post #780 of 2061 Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
James,

I'll repeat what's been said before, thank you for this thread and your continued support and assistance. By reading this, I've already found solutions to some problems.

I just switched from satellite to cable last Monday. When I signed up with the local provider, I ordered one dual tuner HD/PVR, one standard PVR and two regular SD cable boxes. The provider apparently just got their dual HD tuners and are what they told me “burning them in” prior to giving me mine. In the meantime, they gave me two single tuner HD/PVR’s. I have been attempting to set up this PVR in my theater and haven’t had very good luck.

I do not know what model this unit is and can’t find a model number noted anywhere on the machine. It is a Motorola, it has DVI output and when I bring up the configuration menu, all I can see regarding the model is…. DCT, S/W version 74.54-4003, firmware version 16.42. Is there somewhere else I can find what model I have?

I am running my sources (including the cable box) into a Denon 3808 that I’m using as a pre/pro. The 3808 outputs to a DVDO VP50pro > Panasonic PT 1000U.

I can not get this cable box to sync up with the 3808 via DVI. It will sync, then drop out, then sync and continue going back and forth like this indefinitely. If I bypass the 3808 and go directly into the VP50pro, they shake hands and all is good. I tried a complete power down (pulling power cords) on all my components in differing orders without any luck getting the cable box and 3808 to shake hands and play nice. I gave up on the DVI connection and am now using component outputs into the 3808 without problem.

Is there something else I should try to get the DVI output to work with the 3808?

I am also having issue with this machine’s fan noise and am on my second unit. The installer changed out the first unit because it was just too darn noisy. It sounded like a bumble bee on Red Bull. Well the second machine is just as loud as the first unit. Are these machines noisy, or am I just lucky enough to get two units that are above average?? There is no way I can tolerate this constant buzzing the fan makes. I have to be at reference level to drown out the fan noise.

Thanks in advance………..mike
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page