Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 2061 Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Sony Bravia TV. None of codes listed in online manual for the remote (UR-4U) work to control TV. Prob'ly TV too new for manual. Box is Moto 6416. Any one with Sony Bravia TV have a code? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2061 Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 PM

Liked: 11
Try 0000. If i remember right that's what i used for my Sony 40S3000.

Larry
post #783 of 2061 Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

Try 0000. If i remember right that's what i used for my Sony 40S3000.

Thanks. That code works to control Moto (as does 001), but does not control TV independently of Moto. My PIP works, but can't change channels with remote when set to PIP because tuning is then thru the TV, not the Moto. So I need to control TV thru remote, if possible (or change to using the TV remote when want to use PIP--just an annoyance).
post #784 of 2061 Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm196 View Post

Thanks. That code works to control Moto (as does 001), but does not control TV independently of Moto. My PIP works, but can't change channels with remote when set to PIP because tuning is then thru the TV, not the Moto. So I need to control TV thru remote, if possible (or change to using the TV remote when want to use PIP--just an annoyance).

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. Are you trying to change the TV channels with the STB remote?
post #785 of 2061 Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

James,

I'll repeat what's been said before, thank you for this thread and your continued support and assistance. By reading this, I've already found solutions to some problems.

Good Deal, Always happy to be of help and I'm glad to hear you found alot of your solutions here (which was my goal when I started this tread )

Quote:

I just switched from satellite to cable last Monday. When I signed up with the local provider, I ordered one dual tuner HD/PVR, one standard PVR and two regular SD cable boxes. The provider apparently just got their dual HD tuners and are what they told me burning them in prior to giving me mine. In the meantime, they gave me two single tuner HD/PVR's. I have been attempting to set up this PVR in my theater and haven't had very good luck.

That's somewhat odd, So far as I know we don't "Officially" have Single Tuner PVRs - we *do* have some 6208 boxes, but generally they are mixed in with the HD boxes. Ususally if someone requests an "HD" Dvr they get a 34xx/64xx and if they specifically request it or don't specify HD they get a Digeo Moxi BMC 9012 - all of which are dual tuner.

You can tell the difference in the two by the guide - if you've got the Blue TV guide branded guide, that's a 34xx/64xx DVR - most of which will have HDMI. If you've got the more animated circular guide (one horizontal circle of menus and a verticle band of options)

Quote:

I do not know what model this unit is and can't find a model number noted anywhere on the machine. It is a Motorola, it has DVI output and when I bring up the configuration menu, all I can see regarding the model is. DCT, S/W version 74.54-4003, firmware version 16.42. Is there somewhere else I can find what model I have?

DCT - that's the Older model of the motorola series converters
DVI ports are *not* common on the newer boxes, but if it's got DVI that means it's a DCT 5200 or 6200 series.

If it records, then it's got to be a 6208 or possibly a 6412 (64 would have dual tuners and a 120 gig HD, 6208 would have one tuner and an 80 gig hd)

If you hit Power then Select that will bring up diagnostics - you should be able to get a tuner / tuned channel status - it will list both tuners if you have 2.

Quote:

I am running my sources (including the cable box) into a Denon 3808 that I'm using as a pre/pro. The 3808 outputs to a DVDO VP50pro > Panasonic PT 1000U.

I can not get this cable box to sync up with the 3808 via DVI. It will sync, then drop out, then sync and continue going back and forth like this indefinitely. If I bypass the 3808 and go directly into the VP50pro, they shake hands and all is good. I tried a complete power down (pulling power cords) on all my components in differing orders without any luck getting the cable box and 3808 to shake hands and play nice. I gave up on the DVI connection and am now using component outputs into the 3808 without problem.

Is there something else I should try to get the DVI output to work with the 3808?

You've done the #1 thing I can think of. You may want to check with Denon to see if maybe there's some sort of firmware update etc... but alot of home theaters do not handle digital video switching very well.

Quote:

I am also having issue with this machine's fan noise and am on my second unit. The installer changed out the first unit because it was just too darn noisy. It sounded like a bumble bee on Red Bull. Well the second machine is just as loud as the first unit. Are these machines noisy, or am I just lucky enough to get two units that are above average?? There is no way I can tolerate this constant buzzing the fan makes. I have to be at reference level to drown out the fan noise.

Is there a fan located on the front bottom of the box? If so take a can of compressed air to that. If not you've definitely got an older box which has the fan on a small cage next to the hard drive.

You can attempt to blow it out from the top grill, I had a box that was so bad I had to open it up and clean out the fan with rubbing alchool and q-tips. ***** I do not recommend this method to the general public as some MSOs may consider this damaging or tampering with the equipment - which may result in a unreturned / damaged converter fee *** - Stick with canned air or an air compressor if at all possible

Quote:

Thanks in advance..mike

No problem

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #786 of 2061 Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. Are you trying to change the TV channels with the STB remote?

Yes. But changing them directly, not thru the STB, using the STB remote. The remote has a TV selector button (as well as ones for Aux, Dvd, and Cbl), but I can't find a code which allows the TV button to control the TV.
post #787 of 2061 Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. But changing them directly, not thru the STB, using the STB remote. The remote has a TV selector button (as well as ones for Aux, Dvd, and Cbl), but I can't find a code which allows the TV button to control the TV.

Yeah, I think most people use the STB remote for the TV's volume and power, but not channel. Looks like some remotes can control the TV's channel, but it seems as if it would then not work for the STB
post #788 of 2061 Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This should be what you're looking for:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...l_Control_Lock

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #789 of 2061 Old 05-25-2008, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Good Deal, Always happy to be of help and I'm glad to hear you found alot of your solutions here (which was my goal when I started this tread )

Thank you for the very helpfull responce.
post #790 of 2061 Old 05-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone have the code for a Samsumg HTIB? I've tried to use the code "1932" as AUX - on the remote, but it doesn't seem to work. Most of the other codes for different components requires a 5 digit code. thanks for your help!

I have the Comcast Motorola DCT6412 cable box.
post #791 of 2061 Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

General question. For stereo output: Mono, Stereo and Matrix. I am using hdmi and optical btw. If I set my receiver for PLII for sd tv. Should I change the stereo output to Stereo instead of Matrix? Currently set to Matrix. Or should I just leave my receiver to auto and let it handle the sound sources automatically?
post #792 of 2061 Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Leave your DVR where it is and set your receiver to auto. I'm set up that way and it switches back and forth just fine.

Bobby 

post #793 of 2061 Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

General question. For stereo output: Mono, Stereo and Matrix. I am using hdmi and optical btw. If I set my receiver for PLII for sd tv. Should I change the stereo output to Stereo instead of Matrix? Currently set to Matrix. Or should I just leave my receiver to auto and let it handle the sound sources automatically?

Are you running your receiver all the time?

What is matrix anyway on the STB
post #794 of 2061 Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it is on all the time. I would also like to know what matrix is as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

post #795 of 2061 Old 05-27-2008, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Found this on Wiki

Stereo Output

This option is only available if Audio Output is set to Advanced. This affects how audio is output. The settings are Mono, Stereo, and Matrix (fake stereo created from a mono signal.)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._Setup_Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

post #796 of 2061 Old 05-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

Found this on Wiki

Stereo Output

This option is only available if Audio Output is set to Advanced. This affects how audio is output. The settings are Mono, Stereo, and Matrix (fake stereo created from a mono signal.)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._Setup_Options

I think that setting is only for the RCA left/right out on the STB - doesn't affect optical out.
post #797 of 2061 Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

I think that setting is only for the RCA left/right out on the STB - doesn't affect optical out.

Matrix isn't Faked Stereo so much as Faked Dolby.

Mono takes the Stereo Signal and combines it on one channel, then pushes that channel on both sides (this way it doesn't matter if you connect the Red or White RCA, you'll get the same sound)

Stereo is standard - the way the AC3 sound stream is presented.

Matrix is the box's best effort of decoding Dolby information (like Matrix mode on most Home theaters which takes Stereo or dolby 5.x and "fakes" it to use the entire surround system) - usually this paired with a Dolby Home Theater will create the best surround sound setup, however depending on your home theater, you may find it works better just taking the Stereo output and letting the Receiver do all the home theater encoding

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #798 of 2061 Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM

I just received my "lovely" Moto DCH6416. Haven't had time to tinker with the settings but according to the user's manual there are 4 HDMI/YPbPr Output, i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i. Is there not an "auto" setting that will switch from 1080i to 720p depending on the source?
post #799 of 2061 Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post

I just received my "lovely" Moto DCH6416. Haven't had time to tinker with the settings but according to the user's manual there are 4 HDMI/YPbPr Output, i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i. Is there not an "auto" setting that will switch from 1080i to 720p depending on the source?

Not as of yet (note the aspect button on the front, I suspect at some point and time you'll be able to switch on the fly etc)

Generally you set the box for the highest you want your TV on and channels in Lower Resolution will either Drop (if your setting is higher) or be downconverted (if your setting is lower)

I recommend playing with the 4:3 Over-ride as well, I've noticed some TVs tend to flicker or cut the picture on or off for several minutes when first turning the TV on with a SD channel.

You can set the over-ride to 480i, 480p or on DCH boxes "STRETCH" which resolves alot of issues if the TV has a hard time stretching or floating the SD channels.

post #800 of 2061 Old 05-27-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Not as of yet (note the aspect button on the front, I suspect at some point and time you'll be able to switch on the fly etc)

Generally you set the box for the highest you want your TV on and channels in Lower Resolution will either Drop (if your setting is higher) or be downconverted (if your setting is lower)

I recommend playing with the 4:3 Over-ride as well, I've noticed some TVs tend to flicker or cut the picture on or off for several minutes when first turning the TV on with a SD channel.

You can set the over-ride to 480i, 480p or on DCH boxes "STRETCH" which resolves alot of issues if the TV has a hard time stretching or floating the SD channels.

Coming from an SA8300HD which had "auto" I did notice the flicker, though not several minutes more like a couple seconds, when switching from hd to sd. Since my tv is 1080p is there any problem setting the STB to output 1080i for all sources? I have no idea which setting to use in the 4:3 override. Any guidance?
post #801 of 2061 Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have still had audio drop out with the DCH6416. I am using hdmi for video and optical for sound. Went down to the local office and they gave me another new DCH6416. I hope this will fix it. The audio drop out is extremely annoying.
post #802 of 2061 Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I got two questions.

I have a DCT 6416 and I want to upgrade to a newer firmware since my cable company have totally neglected in this area. Im having serious issues with audio cutoffs and artifacts, and Ive read newer firmware could fix the problem.

continues..
post #803 of 2061 Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM

1. Where can I find the newer firmware and how can I flash it? My cable company doesn't care, or is not upgrading the firmware that is too very old (12.35), and is not even releasing newer boxes. at least by now.

continues..
post #804 of 2061 Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Im interested in the external seagate Showcase eSata drive
but the story headlines it for the DCH.

2. is it confirmed the external terabyte eSata drive will work on the DCT? or just on the DCH? has anyone got experience using it?

continues..
post #805 of 2061 Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM

this is the eSata drive
http://connectedhome2go.com/2008/05/...-dch-set-tops/

sorry about the 4 post thing, I had to do it that way, otherwise It would not allow me to post the URL. taking me as a spammer

Thanks.

more info here: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00f5ee0a0aRCRD

Keep More of Your Favorite High-Definition Movies and TV Programs with the All-New Seagate® Showcase™ Video Library
Seagate and Motorola plan to introduce new video storage solutions for consumers

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.-May 19, 2008-At NCTA’s Cable Show, Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX) announced it will introduce its Seagate® Showcase™ storage solution, a new series of products that extends the storage capacity of your Digital Video Recorder (DVR), so you never have to say goodbye to your favorite movies and television shows. Seagate also announced that the Showcase family of products will be designed to be compatible with Motorola’s market leading e-SATA capable high-definition (HD) digital video recorder (DVR) set-top portfolio.

The new Showcase™ products will provide television and movie fans with the ability to store even more shows, movies and sporting events. With initial capacities up to 1TB, consumers will be able to keep up to 200 hours of additional HD movies or 1,000 hours of additional standard definition television. You’ll never have to choose between your kids’ favorite shows or the big game. Plug-and-play capability, via standard USB 2.0 or eSATA connection, makes setup easy while the stylish design fits seamlessly into entertainment centers and complements the look of existing A/V equipment.

“Today’s consumers are constantly demanding more storage for high-definition video and high-fidelity audio – and they want it as part of their home entertainment system,” said Patrick King, senior vice president of Seagate’s Consumer Solutions Division. “We believe that the Seagate Showcase product line will take its place alongside the receiver, speaker system and television as a must-have component for the entertainment center. We are pleased to be working with Motorola to enable an enjoyable consumer experience.”

“As consumer video consumption continues to increase at exponential rates, Motorola strives to provide flexible and cost-effective solutions” commented Larry Robinson, vice president, Set Top Product Management at Motorola. “By demonstrating interoperability with the Seagate Showcase storage solution we are offering consumers additional compelling storage options for their entertainment content.” The new Showcase family will feature Seagate’s recently announced Pipeline HD™ Series of hard drives purpose-built for DVRs. Seagate Pipeline HD™ Series hard drives are the gold standard in high definition performance and capacity with bedroom-quiet acoustics, low power operation and the ability to support up to 12 simultaneous HD streams. The drives are Windows Vista Certified, making them an ideal solution for Home Media Centers.

Seagate is working with Motorola, the leader in digital set-tops with over 73 million shipped, to deliver external storage solutions for DVRs. By connecting a Seagate Showcase product with its included eSATA cable, the capacity of these DVRs can instantly be increased – eliminating the need to delete your favorite movies or shows. The 1TB Seagate Showcase drive can be seen exclusively in the Motorola booth # 1405 during The Cable Show ‘08 at the Morial Convention Center in New Orleans.

Availability
Seagate Showcase™ products are scheduled to be available for purchase on the Seagate website beginning in the third calendar quarter of 2008.

For further information: www.seagate.com/showcase.

About Seagate
Seagate is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of hard disc drives and storage solutions, providing products for a wide-range of applications, including Enterprise, Desktop, Mobile Computing, and Consumer Solutions. Seagate’s business model leverages technology leadership and world-class manufacturing to deliver industry-leading innovation and quality to its global customers, with the goal of being the time-to-market leader in all markets in which it participates. The company is committed to providing award-winning products, customer support and reliability to meet the world’s growing demand for information storage. Seagate can be found around the globe and at http://www.seagate.com.

Seagate, Seagate Technology and the Wave logo are registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC in the United States and/or other countries. Showcase and Pipeline HD are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC or one of its affiliated companies in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. When referring to hard drive capacity, one gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one trillion bytes. Your computer’s operating system may use a different standard of measurement and report a lower capacity. In addition, some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions, and thus will not be available for data storage. Quantitative usage examples for various applications are for illustrative purposes. Actual quantities will vary based on various factors, including file size, file format, features and application software. Seagate reserves the right to change, without notice, product offerings or specifications.
post #806 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTiTANio View Post

I have a DCT 6416 and I want to upgrade to a newer firmware since my cable company have totally neglected in this area. Im having serious issues with audio cutoffs and artifacts, and Ive read newer firmware could fix the problem. 1. Where can I find the newer firmware and how can I flash it? My cable company doesn't care, or is not upgrading the firmware that is too very old (12.35), and is not even releasing newer boxes. at least by now.

You cannot flash the firmware yourself. It is up to your cable company to push the update out to you, when they are ready to do so.

Quote:

2. is it confirmed the external terabyte eSata drive will work on the DCT? or just on the DCH? has anyone got experience using it?

As far as I know, none of the MSOs have enabled eSATA support yet.
post #807 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM

I am using the Comcast 3416 box with a Pioneer Elite Kuro. Sometimes I need to change resolution using the format button on the box. But I can't find how to control this button from the remote. Any help.
post #808 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNguy22 View Post

I am using the Comcast 3416 box with a Pioneer Elite Kuro. Sometimes I need to change resolution using the format button on the box. But I can't find how to control this button from the remote. Any help.

So far I've not heard of anyone who's got it enabled.
I'm guessing this will be a function supported with a later base firmware or Guide.

For now the only way to change the resolution is to power off the box and hit Menu (this can be done using the remote as well)

post #809 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:

1. Where can I find the newer firmware and how can I flash it? My cable company doesn't care, or is not upgrading the firmware that is too very old (12.35), and is not even releasing newer boxes. at least by now.

Every time you unplug the Motorola box it blows away the firmware. Plug it back in and it reloads. Only the cable company can change the revision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #810 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efball View Post

Every time you unplug the Motorola box it blows away the firmware. Plug it back in and it reloads. Only the cable company can change the revision.

Partially True,

When you power cycle the box you clear the flash memory and the box checks to see if there's anything newer that needs to be loaded, however it does not wipe the existing firmware out (just guide data and settings)

To wipe the box you have to do a "cold init" from the system or a "3 finger salute" - this will completely wipe the flash memory (DVR settings etc are stored on the HD) and force a reload.

I only recommend that sort of thing as a last resort, because if a box is cold initalized and there isn't a proper return signal the box will not reload and you'll have a dead box.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page