post #811 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNguy22 View Post

I am using the Comcast 3416 box with a Pioneer Elite Kuro. Sometimes I need to change resolution using the format button on the box. But I can't find how to control this button from the remote. Any help.

Try this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

I am using the Comcast 3416 box with a Pioneer Elite Kuro. Sometimes I need to change resolution using the format button on the box. But I can't find how to control this button from the remote. Any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Try this.

Just keep in mind that will probably only work if you have the newer DCH series box, I don't think that works on the older DCT series (could be wrong though).

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #813 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Liked: 11
Should I get my hopes up for hard drive expansion based on the article about Seagate that is posted above? Or, is there still no prospect for adding an external drive on the horizon for Charter?
post #814 of 2061 Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Just keep in mind that will probably only work if you have the newer DCH series box, I don't think that works on the older DCT series (could be wrong though).

Correct. It has no effect on my DCT-6412 besides blinking the IR received light. Too bad there's recordings on there that I can't transfer to a new DVR. I guess I'm stuck with the DCT until it's death. My laptop is the only PC with firewire, and it's 900 MHz CPU is too slow to archive the HD recordings over.

I really wish the Motorola box would just send 720p channels at 720p, and 1080i channels at 1080i and be done with it. That makes too much sense though!
post #815 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 AM

Is there a use for the "settings" button of the remote. I got this box through Time Warner Cable so I'm pretty sure it's just a generic remote but what I've noticed is that this button does nothing. Unlike when I press other buttons of the remote the box acknowledges the command with flash of light but I don't get a flash when I press "settings". Seems like the remote isn't actually sending the command or it is programed wrong. Bascially I want to change the display to show the time instead of the channel. Hopefully I can get this function to work on my Logitech Harmony.

Also, what are the advantages of disadvantages of running in 1080i mode versus 720p? It's a real shame that this box doesn't have an auto select for the channel resolution.
post #816 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post

Is there a use for the "settings" button of the remote. I got this box through Time Warner Cable so I'm pretty sure it's just a generic remote but what I've noticed is that this button does nothing. Unlike when I press other buttons of the remote the box acknowledges the command with flash of light but I don't get a flash when I press "settings". Seems like the remote isn't actually sending the command or it is programed wrong. Bascially I want to change the display to show the time instead of the channel. Hopefully I can get this function to work on my Logitech Harmony.

Also, what are the advantages of disadvantages of running in 1080i mode versus 720p? It's a real shame that this box doesn't have an auto select for the channel resolution.

Sounds like the remote TW gave you has a few functions that either aren't programmed or were designed for other boxes (most MSOs have at least one or more buttons that wind up that way since the same remote will do many boxes) Depending on the Manufacturer you may be able to re-assign this button with some specialized programming (earlier in this thread are methods of programming One For All remotes to perform 30 second skips)

To get the display to show the time go into the Main Menu (menu, menu) Setup, Cable Box Setup - the first option is your Font LED Display - Default is current channel - the other setting is Current Time.

When a box is on current time, the time is *always* displayed, even if the box is powered off. The only time it shows the channel is briefly when the channel is being changed.

The pros and cons of different resolutions mostly rely on your TV and how it processes the picture - I generally recommend trying it on one setting, leaving it there for a week or so to get a feel for it, then change to the other - go with the one that you feel looks the best.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #817 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Should I get my hopes up for hard drive expansion based on the article about Seagate that is posted above? Or, is there still no prospect for adding an external drive on the horizon for Charter?

It's on the Horizon, unfortunately none of us know how long it will take the sun to set on that one.

I've been in on some discussions all the way up the chain and as I understand it we are pretty much waiting for TV Guide and Motorola to get the final pieces in place so we can have Hard Drive expansion without having to worry about MPAA lawsuits or harrasment (which has been threatened if we don't secure the content)

Once that's lined up, these DVRs will be just as expanable as the Moxi boxes. Of course with Moxi finally launching the BMC 3012, if Motorola and TV Guide don't get their act together, These might start becoming the less popular boxes.

So far the BMC 3012 *appears* to have fixed most the hardware issues that made me trade in my BMC 9012 over (tuner quality, HDMI port etc)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #818 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

See below this works with the DCH series boxes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Through trial and error I found the code it is 00109. The way it works with the Comcast remote is press cable, then press and hold setup until the cable light on the remote blinks twice, then release the setup button, enter 994 on the keypad, then press setup again and release the setup button then enter 00109 after that press the key you want for this functionality - I chose the "help" key. If you did all of this correctly the cable select button on the remote should blink twice.

post #819 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post

Well what James said is pretty much true. It all depends on the TV. In my experience (I have a Samsung HP-T4254 Plasma), I notice that if the Motorola DCT is not set to output in the native resolution of the current channel, the image is soft and lacks detail.

With the box set to 1080i, channels that broadcast in 1080i look real crisp and clear. These are networks like Discovery, CBS, NBC, Premiums and all Comcast HD-VOD.

If tune to a 720p channel however, the sharpness is just not the same. There's more noticeable overscan issues too, where sometimes I can see the closed captioning data or artifacts at the top most edge of the screen on FOX. 720p channels include FOX, ESPN's, ABC, National Geographic, A&E HD.

Changing the output resolution to 720p and then viewing one of those mentioned 720p channels results in a much sharper picture, and no top edge artifacts.

But it's purely a hassle to power off the box and change the output resolution. Not to mention it's impossible if you have a recording, as hitting Power will prompt you to cancel the current recording(s). So I usually keep the DCT set to 1080i, because the majority of the networks, and not to mention all Comcast HD-VOD are encoded in 1080i natively.

Native HD pass through is such a simple, yet novel idea. I wonder why Motorola is the only set top manufacturer to not get this right? SA/Cisco, Pace, D*, E*, Tivo HD all have native or dynamic resolution support, so you know it's not an impossible feat.

My headend is based on Motorola gear, so I can't get a SA/Cisco set top. But if they offered PACE DVR's, I would choose that over a Motorola in a heartbeat. 1)Multiple Selectable resolutions and 2)eSATA DVR Expansion WORKS. A friend of mine has a PACE HD-DVR with Service Electric Cablevision. He also has a Motorola DCT-6416 III. The Pace is the better of the two, hands down.

Maybe when the Motorola DCX series is released it will be a different story. Motorola employees or contacts, are you reading this? Now's your chance to redeem yourselves!
post #820 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 AM

Many thanks for your quick help. Works fine on my DCH3416. Now why can't we get this info from Comcast?
post #821 of 2061 Old 05-30-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Charter cable and there DCH-6416. Does that trick work with the remote pictured? And if so. How do you do it?

http://www.universalremote.com/image..._MDVR_CHD2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Try this.

post #822 of 2061 Old 05-31-2008, 07:27 AM

New Sony TV and new Sony Home Theater system. Last night, first time with TV show in HD and 5.1. A lot of time out of sych (think black and white kung fu movie). Box is a MOTO 6416. Box problem, broadcast problem, system problem--all of the above?
post #823 of 2061 Old 05-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

I have Charter cable and there DCH-6416. Does that trick work with the remote pictured? And if so. How do you do it?

http://www.universalremote.com/image..._MDVR_CHD2.jpg

I don't think it does, but who knows? Give it a shot.
post #824 of 2061 Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm196 View Post

New Sony TV and new Sony Home Theater system. Last night, first time with TV show in HD and 5.1. A lot of time out of sych (think black and white kung fu movie). Box is a MOTO 6416. Box problem, broadcast problem, system problem--all of the above?

Some surround receivers have a delay correction built into them. Not sure if they work with STB or not.
post #825 of 2061 Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 PM

Got a letter from Charter today saying we could schedule our DVR via the internet now, as long as you had their internet service. I assume that it some kind of feed from HQ over the cable once it gets the web page info. Is that correct Charter James?

Also, they were offering Moxi users the internet connection for 29.99. I assume that the scheduling works regardless of STB brand. Is that correct?
post #826 of 2061 Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Got a letter from Charter today saying we could schedule our DVR via the internet now, as long as you had their internet service. I assume that it some kind of feed from HQ over the cable once it gets the web page info. Is that correct Charter James?

So far as I know Internet Scheduling is only availible to Moxi users. Unfortunately Marketing has done a WONDERFULL job of ignoring the fact that we have two completely different DVR platforms which do not carry the same features (as of yet)

Quote:

Also, they were offering Moxi users the internet connection for 29.99. I assume that the scheduling works regardless of STB brand. Is that correct?

No, for remote scheduling (so far as I know) to work you have to be on a moxi and you have to have a charter.net email address. The email address and the Moxi have to be provisioned to the same account.

Again, I appologize for the advertisment!

************edit********************
Just FYI - I'm emailing a friend I have in Corporate level operations to find out if we are going to see remote scheduling and HD expansion for the 6416 anytime soon. I'm also taking the time to check up on A25 as Remote scheduling and A25 were slated for first quarter 2008)

post #827 of 2061 Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM

I reread my letter. It does say Moxi owner. Unfortunately, I do not have a Moxi. I have asked to have my record corrected, but to no avail.

Edit, per tech support, they show I have the DCT 6416, so apparently marketing and tech records are different.

Do I want to trade in my 6416 for a Moxi, now that I have all digital service?
post #828 of 2061 Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

I just got my Moto 6414 today from Insight cable. Can anyone out there tell me how I can delete unwanted channels so I don't have to surf through them. Insight, as usual, was no help. This is driving me crazy.
Thanks,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #829 of 2061 Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I just got my Moto 6414 today from Insight cable. Can anyone out there tell me how I can delete unwanted channels so I don't have to surf through them. Insight, as usual, was no help. This is driving me crazy.
Thanks,
Ghpr13

No can do. Only choice is to put your channels in a favorite folder and then you can surf a favorite folder in a continous loop by pushing the favorite button.

Or get a Moxi
post #830 of 2061 Old 06-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No can do. Only choice is to put your channels in a favorite folder and then you can surf a favorite folder in a continous loop by pushing the favorite button.

Or get a Moxi

DCT6416UIIIuser,
Thanks for that info. Can I ask you something else? If I put all the channels I want into a favorite folder and I only have that one folder, will the DCH 6414 bring those "favorite" channels up by default when I press the favorite button?

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #831 of 2061 Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes.

If your system supports more than one folder, the FAV button will bring up the one you used last. I think I have four folders, but I generally leave it on my main folder.
post #832 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I reread my letter. It does say Moxi owner. Unfortunately, I do not have a Moxi. I have asked to have my record corrected, but to no avail.

Edit, per tech support, they show I have the DCT 6416, so apparently marketing and tech records are different.

Do I want to trade in my 6416 for a Moxi, now that I have all digital service?

That letter looks like it went out to everyone... I got two yesterday (one at the office and one at home) ... of course I'm not too thrilled as Marketing fails to appreciate that we have two very different DVR products and they still don't have all the same feature set.

We've had more than a few emails go out too touting this service.

As for Should you trade... In theory with analog gone, you should get pretty decent picture quality, however going from a 6416 to a Moxi you'll immediately lose half your recording space.

Of course because the moxi is expandable, you can resolve this one pretty easily, however without spending any of your own money for an external hard drive, you'll lose space.

Also remember that the moxi requires it's cable modem connection to get guide data, ticker news and VOD configuration - so if your experiencing alot of modem issues or have alot of outlets in the home, a moxi may not function as well.

Web Scheduling should be availible for 6416 soon (but of course no one's saying when) And we are due to see the BMC3012 around 3rd quarter (HDMI Second Generation Moxi) - So if you're debating the jump to Moxi you may want to wait and fight for one of the newer ones

post #833 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM

"Also remember that the moxi requires it's cable modem connection to get guide data, ticker news and VOD configuration - so if your experiencing alot of modem issues or have alot of outlets in the home, a moxi may not function as well."

First, thanks for answer. How is the modem info above different than the DCTs. Also does Moxi have HDMI or DVI?
post #834 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

First, thanks for answer. How is the modem info above different than the DCTs. Also does Moxi have HDMI or DVI?

DCTs (and DCHs) have a very good level of signal tolerance, generally they'll work good given a decent return and forward. If the customer doesn't use VOD, chances are they won't even notice return signal issues.

Modems tend to be pickier than a standard box - frequently a tech will split off a line at the amplifier so that the amp doesn't create too much noise for a modem.

Moxi boxes use an intergrated modem to pull their guide data (which is why their data loads in 5 minutes rather than 5 hours... and why it's retained after a power cycle) and loads it's guide data nightly.

If you don't use VOD and the Ticker, you probably won't notice minor return signal issues, however if you go more than a few days without the modem connecting you'll notice less and less guide data.

the BMC9012s where built around the same time as the origional Motrola DCT 5200 series boxes. They use similar grade tuners (which are known for bad Analog Picture Quality) and sport similar outputs (DVI and on later models Firewire) - all moxi boxes in current usage have DVI ports (no HDMI) and most have Firewire. The newest ones also have an RF out on the main box - this is the only RF out on any of the moxi boxes that will actually work (if it's on the silver part it should be disabled because that port is not properly shielded.)

While the 3012s so far seem to be modem based as well, I'm wagering they'll have more initial hard drive capacity and (espcially since they've got HDMI like the 6416s) higher quality tuners. I'm hoping they also put in a more robust modem (so they have a higher signal fault tolerance)

post #835 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

What about rolling out DSG (Docsis Set Top Gateway) for the more advanced boxes with built in modems? Currently all HD and HD-DVR boxes from Motorola have internal DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 modems built in.

I know the Tivo software ported to the Motorola DVR's switches into DSG mode. An additional server is added in the headend to feed the proper data and applications over DSG, and some configuration is required to tunnel this data over the CMTS.

DSG sounds like a good way to go for delivering advanced applications. I think this is how Tru2Way TV's will communicate with the headend as well. I know the Samsung booth at the Cable Show in New Orleans a few weeks ago were using built in DOCSIS tuners in their Tru2Way TV demo's. They also sported a really slick guide from Gemstar, known as their J-Guide. WOW that was a cool guide!
post #836 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM

I've just got a DCH6416 from TWC in Dallas and I hope I have some really old software which will be updated.
The OS looks like a 320x240 1995 classic, and is useless compared to Verizon's similar effort on the slightly older Moto box.
Can someone post screenshots of the channel guide I should have?
post #837 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM

My box appears to be running this software but TWC branded:
hteeteepee://newteevee.com/2008/02/29/dear-comcast-why-is-my-dvr-so-dumb/#=rss

Is that really what I'm going to have to use? What about the Passport or Navigator software?
post #838 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 AM

I don't think I have asked this before (it is hell to get old:-)).

When I was switched over to all digital feed the program scroll on the TV Guide channel was lost. To clarify, the scroll is the part that shows what shows are coming on for the next couple of hours on each channel. Above the scroll is a "TV Guide program"

Now I still get the TV Guide program, but the scroll is gone. The program occupies the whole screen. I am told that the digital box cannot decode the scroll data and so as long as I continue to use the digital feed, it is gone forever. I was told that it is a separate signal for local channel info, that overlays the national TV Guide program. FYI, the scroll is still there on the analog channels on the other sets in the house, and it is missing on digital system wide, not just on my box.

Can anybody add anything to the above. True? Anything in the future? etd. Wife prefers to see "what's on" that way.
post #839 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFitt View Post

I've just got a DCH6416 from TWC in Dallas and I hope I have some really old software which will be updated.
The OS looks like a 320x240 1995 classic, and is useless compared to Verizon's similar effort on the slightly older Moto box.
Can someone post screenshots of the channel guide I should have?

TV Guide A24 (versions after A23 and up are known as "I-guide") is what *most* MSOs appear to be using on these boxes.

There's an interactive Demo at http://i-guide.tv

Now once things go OCAP there should be all sorts of options - I know there's been systems that have run TIVO on 6416s and if the Moxi interface is rendered into an OCAP application, it too should be able to be loaded on the box.

As for the earlier question about the modem - in theory they should be able to be put into use once provisioned - however - the base firmware for the DCTs (and DCHs) does not require this - because IP communications is already handled over the main interface.

In a motorola enviroment, all that would be required is some form of gateway between the Digital Controller and the Cable Modem gateway - this shouldn't really even require that much in hardware - there's probably already something that can do it - of course at the same time boxes are kept on a closed network for good reason

post #840 of 2061 Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah I think DSG would be more efficient. Not only does the guide data download quicker, but operators could deploy advanced features. Such as advanced searching and lookup on particular movies, shows, actors and actresses. Like Johnny Depp? Click on his name to see what movies he's been in through his career (basically like imdb). How about interactive games? Multiplayer poker, cribbage, backammon, pool, breakout, tetris, and other simple games would be easier to deploy and manage over the faster docsis pipe. I think the QSPK stream is only limited to 2.044 mbps... so a 38.8 mbps 256QAM Docsis channel would be a vast improvement.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page