Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2061 Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CharterJames,

We have the Motorola DCH-6416. The format button on the front of the box now works. It must be a newly added feature. It never worked before. How do I get that button to work with this remote from Charter that we have? I came across this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13524611 from PaulGo. First post up top. But that is with Comcast and I believe is there own style remote. Any help would be appreciated and hope you can get it rolling for us. Thanks!

http://www.universalremote.com/image..._MDVR_CHD2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2061 Old 07-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

We have the Motorola DCH-6416. The format button on the front of the box now works. It must be a newly added feature. It never worked before

I just got a DCH-3416 from Charter and I got all excited when I read that and ran over to my box and started jamming the format button but nothing happened . Is it possible that they only added on the fly format switching to the DCH-6416?

Also, I've read pretty much the entire thread now (I've learned a lot, you guys are all great,) and there is one thing I don't understand. The box doesn't seem to let me turn it off while it is recording anything, which seems to be supported by posts here. This boggles my mind. I thought that was the entire point of having standby was to be able to "turn off" the box and it could still do things. Am I missing something, or is this just one more gross failing of the Charter software?

Finally, the fans seems pretty loud. I can hear the box from my couch if I mute the TV, even if it is in standby. Is there a fan setting in a service menu or something, or is mine abnormally loud and I should get a replacement? Thanks in advance for any help!
post #903 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisPuma View Post

The box doesn't seem to let me turn it off while it is recording anything, which seems to be supported by posts here. This boggles my mind. I thought that was the entire point of having standby was to be able to "turn off" the box and it could still do things. Am I missing something, or is this just one more gross failing of the Charter software?

It isn't Charter as the same thing happens with my DCH-6416 on Bresnan cable. If something needs to be recorded, the DVR turns on then turns off afterwards. If it is already on and a recording starts, it cannot be turned off until after the recording is done or it will stop the recording if you force it after the prompt comes up alerting you that continuing with that action (powering off) will stop the recording.

Quote:

Finally, the fans seems pretty loud. I can hear the box from my couch if I mute the TV, even if it is in standby.

The fan in mine when it is on is also quite loud and annoying. The VIP1216 seems to also have this problem with the HDD fan being annoyingly loud so I don't know if it is just bad quality control or if it is just how it is...
post #904 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Might be just for the DCH-6416. Not sure. What is your software and firmware version numbers? Mine are the following:

S/W Ver: 74.54-4003

Firmware: 18.43

Quote:

I just got a DCH-3416 from Charter and I got all excited when I read that and ran over to my box and started jamming the format button but nothing happened . Is it possible that they only added on the fly format switching to the DCH-6416?

Also, I've read pretty much the entire thread now (I've learned a lot, you guys are all great,) and there is one thing I don't understand. The box doesn't seem to let me turn it off while it is recording anything, which seems to be supported by posts here. This boggles my mind. I thought that was the entire point of having standby was to be able to "turn off" the box and it could still do things. Am I missing something, or is this just one more gross failing of the Charter software?

Finally, the fans seems pretty loud. I can hear the box from my couch if I mute the TV, even if it is in standby. Is there a fan setting in a service menu or something, or is mine abnormally loud and I should get a replacement? Thanks in advance for any help!

post #905 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I''m looking for some screen shots for the DCH6416 or something like it. My in-laws currently have a 1st gen tivo and want to know what the interface looks like. Any help would be greatl;y appreciated.

thanks,
ej

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #906 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

CharterJames,

We have the Motorola DCH-6416. The format button on the front of the box now works. It must be a newly added feature. It never worked before. How do I get that button to work with this remote from Charter that we have? I came across this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13524611 from PaulGo. First post up top. But that is with Comcast and I believe is there own style remote. Any help would be appreciated and hope you can get it rolling for us. Thanks!

http://www.universalremote.com/image..._MDVR_CHD2.jpg

There was a huge discussion before on the reprogramming of the remotes -
basically the individual function codes only work on ONE remotes (one for everything) - these remotes usually have a SETUP button in the upper left

For pictures and standard manuals visit here:
http://webpages.charter.net/remotes/

Unfortunately the newer silver remotes do not have this option and even with the special remote reprogramming device I've been unable to alter the functions (no base template can be found)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #907 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I''m looking for some screen shots for the DCH6416 or something like it. My in-laws currently have a 1st gen tivo and want to know what the interface looks like. Any help would be greatl;y appreciated.

thanks,
ej

Interface depends on the cable company, but most use I-Guide. Check here for more info.
post #908 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

thanks,
ej

www.i-guide.tv used to be an interactive demo - now it pulls up a macrovision page with some sales points etc. the demos are located on the right hand side -

6416 / 3416 would be the dual tuner demo

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #909 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

All DVRs are louder than normal boxes -
Usually if it's abnormally loud you can cut it down by cleaning out the fan and ports - I recommend using canned air or a vaccum hose (one that can blow out preferably)

most 6416s have their fans located in the bottom near the front center

If this doesn't cut down the noise, I'd get it changed out because it's noisy - if your next one is just as loud, you may just be experiencing the normal noise level

I've got a moxi and a 6416 in my office and I've got to have the TV on a music channel when I'm not testing something just so the hum doesn't drive me nutz

post #910 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that stinks. Nothing like adding some thing you cannot use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

There was a huge discussion before on the reprogramming of the remotes -
basically the individual function codes only work on ONE remotes (one for everything) - these remotes usually have a SETUP button in the upper left

For pictures and standard manuals visit here:
http://webpages.charter.net/remotes/

Unfortunately the newer silver remotes do not have this option and even with the special remote reprogramming device I've been unable to alter the functions (no base template can be found)

post #911 of 2061 Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Might be just for the DCH-6416. Not sure. What is your software and firmware version numbers? Mine are the following:

S/W Ver: 74.54-4003

Firmware: 18.43

My S/W version is the same, but my firmware is 18.24. The Motorola DVR wiki lists 18.43 as the latest for the DCH-3416, so I guess I have an out of date version. Is there anything I can do about that? My understanding of what people have said in this thread is that every time I power down the box it checks for new firmware, so basically it always has whatever version Charter feels like. It's unfortunate that they have chosen to go with firmware at least two revisions out of date.

Quote:

All DVRs are louder than normal boxes -
Usually if it's abnormally loud you can cut it down by cleaning out the fan and ports - I recommend using canned air or a vaccum hose (one that can blow out preferably)

I'll try that, but the box seemed pretty new when I got it so I don't know if it would be dusty. My reference point is an old SD TiVo, but it was inaudible even when recording. I'm wondering if the larger faster HDDs required for HD need bigger fans.
post #912 of 2061 Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well that stinks. Nothing like adding some thing you cannot use.

I haven't seen anything about the format being enabled, so either someone's getting some new firmware out to some of our markets or something...

Once it's up here I might be able to experiment - I'm curious if the Input (TV/VCR) or Aspect buttons might have an effect on that - also try the different PNP buttons at the bottom - I found out by suprise that the SWAP on the pnp would do Tuner swaps on these boxes.

post #913 of 2061 Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I hit the swap button and the tuner works now. It never worked before. What exactly does that do?

Quote:

I haven't seen anything about the format being enabled, so either someone's getting some new firmware out to some of our markets or something...

Once it's up here I might be able to experiment - I'm curious if the Input (TV/VCR) or Aspect buttons might have an effect on that - also try the different PNP buttons at the bottom - I found out by suprise that the SWAP on the pnp would do Tuner swaps on these boxes.

post #914 of 2061 Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM

It keeps a live buffer on both tuners, instead of just channel changing on the one tuner using the Last button. You can hit the swap button and time shift in the buffer on either tuner.
post #915 of 2061 Old 07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand what your saying. I apologize. Can you put it in more simple terms for me? Probably already is. But, like I said. I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolkid1935 View Post

It keeps a live buffer on both tuners, instead of just channel changing on the one tuner using the Last button. You can hit the swap button and time shift in the buffer on either tuner.

post #916 of 2061 Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a general question. I have always had audio drop out problems with the DCH-6416. The first box was brand new. And I exchanged it for another new box. Using hdmi and optical for sound. I thought it was fixed and we still have had the problem. Question though. I was behind my tv poking around and checking connections. I noticed the cable from the wall. It was not screwed on all the way to the splitter and tight. We have the cable for tv and phone going through the same line. Is that enough to cause audio drop out and other general service errors? I have a Monster Stage 2 power bar and decided to hook the cable through that as well. That's how I came across the loose connection. The audio even seems to sound much better. So far no drop out. Going on 2 days now. I use to get it on a daily basis.
post #917 of 2061 Old 07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't understand what your saying. I apologize. Can you put it in more simple terms for me? Probably already is. But, like I said. I don't get it.

Your DVR has two tuners, so you can record two programs at once, or record one, while watching another.
Each tuner has a buffer, which is just a recording, going back from about 15 minutes for HD channels, to over an hour for SD channels. That's what lets you pause, and reverse, live television.

The "Swap" button on your remote switches between those two tuners, to determine which you see. If you had a blank screen, until hitting Swap, possibly one of your tuners isn't working.

Quote:

I noticed the cable from the wall. It was not screwed on all the way to the splitter and tight. We have the cable for tv and phone going through the same line. Is that enough to cause audio drop out and other general service errors? .

Easily. A bad connection like that could make you lose all service.
post #918 of 2061 Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the second time this week it has happened. I set up a recording for a show. I notice the light is on and seems to be recording. When I am ready to watch it the next day or so. I go to play it and get a blank black screen. It did not record. Whats going on? Very annoying. This is with the Motorola DCH-6416.
post #919 of 2061 Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hit the swap button and the tuner works now. It never worked before. What exactly does that do?

Quote:

This is the second time this week it has happened. I set up a recording for a show. I notice the light is on and seems to be recording. When I am ready to watch it the next day or so. I go to play it and get a blank black screen. It did not record. Whats going on? Very annoying. This is with the Motorola DCH-6416.

These two statements really make me wonder if one of your two tuners may not work, as I posted previously. If so, you would have to change your box. Is it still true that when you hit the swap button, you go from a picture to a blank screen?
post #920 of 2061 Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryr2626 View Post

Hi,

Random question. I have the DCH3416 with Comcast, and I have a series recording that I have set to not delete until I delete the episode. However, it won't seem to let me have more than 9 episodes at a time. Each new episode deletes the last one. Is there anyway around this setting? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Harry

I have a DCH3416 with Bresnan. I'm having the same issue recording a marathon of Eureka on SCIFI HD. Only nine episodes will stay saved even if I set them to delete when I say. I have plenty of space available as the box says 58%.

Is there any way to work around this and record more then 9 episodes of a show at a time or is this behavior unchangeable?
post #921 of 2061 Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Swap button works fine. The previous box though. It did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

These two statements really make me wonder if one of your two tuners may not work, as I posted previously. If so, you would have to change your box. Is it still true that when you hit the swap button, you go from a picture to a blank screen?

post #922 of 2061 Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like an issue with the secondary tuner - if you've got the silver charter remote, try the SWAP button to see where your other tuner is and try a few different channels with it - occasionally I've also seen this happen with HD programming in particular, where the box did the whole title confusion issue (where there's mulitple versions of the same title and it usually doesn't record at all) - except it did the black screen -

Try removing the series recording and manually recording the next episode - if that works, re-build the series recording and see what happens.

I saw that quite a few times last year when I was recording "Dexter" off of showtime HD.

post #923 of 2061 Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Have a few DCT 6416 boxes, and Comcast is now using the message function for marketing PPV programming. This of course turns on the red LED for "notification" of the message. Turning message notice off in the guide setup doesn't work. Is there any way to turn this function off or block it in some way? It's irritating to have to go to all the boxes and cycle through the menus to delete the message and turn the light off. Any ideas? Thx in advance. I have put electrical tape over one of them. Works of course, but will it fill drive up or something?
post #924 of 2061 Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes sense what your saying. Both shows I tried to record are in HD. And came on the same time as the SD versions. All in all seems to be a major bug. Are they going to address it?

Quote:

Sounds like an issue with the secondary tuner - if you've got the silver charter remote, try the SWAP button to see where your other tuner is and try a few different channels with it - occasionally I've also seen this happen with HD programming in particular, where the box did the whole title confusion issue (where there's mulitple versions of the same title and it usually doesn't record at all) - except it did the black screen -

Try removing the series recording and manually recording the next episode - if that works, re-build the series recording and see what happens.

I saw that quite a few times last year when I was recording "Dexter" off of showtime HD.

post #925 of 2061 Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwdatt View Post

Have a few DCT 6416 boxes, and Comcast is now using the message function for marketing PPV programming. This of course turns on the red LED for "notification" of the message. Turning message notice off in the guide setup doesn't work. Is there any way to turn this function off or block it in some way? It's irritating to have to go to all the boxes and cycle through the menus to delete the message and turn the light off. Any ideas? Thx in advance. I have put electrical tape over one of them. Works of course, but will it fill drive up or something?

Bresnan here has been using the messages to market their PPV offerings (usually live events) for awhile now. It does get annoying, but I have yet to find a way to either not have the box show the light or to not show them as new...
post #926 of 2061 Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 AM

Hmmm....
Quote:
On the morning of August 11, AVS Forum suffered a major failure in the database and backup storage.

Stuff happens.

Ask your questions again. I answered many of them; I'll be happy to answer them again.
post #927 of 2061 Old 08-12-2008, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Hmmm....
Quote:
Quote:
On the morning of August 11, AVS Forum suffered a major failure in the database and backup storage.

Stuff happens.

Yeah I saw that, and I don't see how that's possible. Unless there was fire that wiped out the PC's, database, and backup storage. I don't think that was the case though because the first message I saw was something about "routine maintenance". Nonetheless, in a mission critical situation, (daily) backups are supposed to be networked to another location, at least another room. But it's pointless now.

Quote:
Ask your questions again. I answered many of them; I'll be happy to answer them again.

Yes I know you did. Thank you, that's kind of you, I appreciate that. The problem now is trying to remember all that's been posted. Maybe I can remember some things if I go over what few notes I have.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #928 of 2061 Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I'll give you the quick summary - go with the TivoHD, not the Comcast DVR, unless you absolutely have to have PPV and VOD. Forget PiP, it ain't happening on either. And they both cost about the same over the long run, but Comcast will replace your DVR if it craps out. For the Tivo, you're on your own.
post #929 of 2061 Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Off topic, insulting and profane posts removed. Infractions issued.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #930 of 2061 Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Comcast in Detroit has rolled out S/W 75.59 - a25p2-2.S1.r-8 and Firmware 16.53. IR command delay seems better.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page