Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Today it's working. So we'll see. The freezes are random, so I wonder if its impeding hardware failure (power supply / hard drive / memory). Position's never changed so ventilation's never changed. The unit doesn't feel any hotter than it always has been, so I don't really think it's a heat issue. Perhaps a capacitor or something is starting to bulge and go slightly out of tolerance, creating a condition that forces the processor to halt. You never know... I'll keep you informed.

Well in computer/technology/DVR terms, that DCT-6412p2 is a dinosaur. Doubt it would do much harm swapping it out.

Just my 2¢
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Well in computer/technology/DVR terms, that DCT-6412p2 is a dinosaur. Doubt it would do much harm swapping it out.

Just curious, when did that model first come out? 2005 ish?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Try the following:

Press & release 'Cable'
Press 'Setup' until the light blinks 2 times (not just once) then release
Press 9 9 3
Press 'Aux', light should blink 2 times to let you know it accepted code.

Now regardless of which mode you're in Cable/TV/AUX, the volume should be controlled by the AUX device.

I don't see a "setup" button on my remote. It might be an older model....I can't find any pictures of it on the net. Maybe it was specific to Adelphia? Maybe I can head to the comcast office and see if they will swap it out for a newer one.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I think the original single tuner DVR's (DCT6208?) first came out in '04, so yeah the first dual tuners were probably out in late '04/early '05, in the MA area at least. But even at just 3 or so years old think of the constant use these things get. Even if people just think of the recordings they make can be quite a bit, but you figure both tuners are constantly buffering also and a lot of people don't power them off (standby) so these boxes really never get a break. If you ask me those harddrives get a hell of a workout!

Just my 2¢
Jon
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post

I don't see a "setup" button on my remote. It might be an older model....I can't find any pictures of it on the net. Maybe it was specific to Adelphia? Maybe I can head to the comcast office and see if they will swap it out for a newer one.

Not sure which remote Adelphia used to use. My bad, I just figured for some reason you had one of the silver Comcast remotes. Comcast areas have been using the silver remotes since a little before the DVR's came out. And although they're still silver, they're on the 4th generation of them.

Just my 2¢
Jon
Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well in computer/technology/DVR terms, that DCT-6412p2 is a dinosaur.

Quote:

Quote:

Well I think the original single tuner DVR's (DCT6208?) first came out in '04, so yeah the first dual tuners were probably out in late '04/early '05, in the MA area at least.

Here, the DCT-6208 was 6-04, they skipped the DCT-6412 p1, and the DCT-6412 p2 was 11-04. I remember calling the first day the 6412 was available, and I am still using it to this day! However, I am finally going to replace it with a DCH-3416; more storage, faster CPU, and resolution change with remote, reliable firmware at this point (I think). I wish I could go right to the DCX-3400, but Comcast said my area doesn't have info. on a release date yet.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Not sure which remote Adelphia used to use. My bad, I just figured for some reason you had one of the silver Comcast remotes. Comcast areas have been using the silver remotes since a little before the DVR's came out. And although they're still silver, they're on the 4th generation of them.

I got the new comcast remote and things are working great. Only prob is I can't change inputs on my HT-CT100 using the comcast remote. (couldn't do it with the adelphia remote either)
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post

I got the new comcast remote and things are working great. Only prob is I can't change inputs on my HT-CT100 using the comcast remote. (couldn't do it with the adelphia remote either)

Two things to try.

First is you can try pressing the 'AUX' button and then the TV/VCR/Input button toward the bottom left of the remote, this will sometimes toggle through inputs.

If the above doesn't work you can try unlocking the channel control on the remote following the instructions in this wiki link.

Word of caution though, once the remote is unlocked it's easy for someone to inadvertently change input or channel of the TV or receiver (it is no longer locked to just work the cable box). You must be more careful than usual about making sure the 'Cable' button is normally selected when trying to work the cable box. In your case though you can try unlocking remote, pressing the 'AUX' button then trying some of the channel # or up/down buttons, on many receivers these will now change inputs. No guarantees, but worth a try.

Just my 2¢
Jon
Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM

On our channel 800 of Charter, an inactive channel is showing up that is labeled as "HDMEV". Any idea what that is going to be?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

On our channel 800 of Charter, an inactive channel is showing up that is labeled as "HDMEV". Any idea what that is going to be?

It's the HD special event PPV channel. Haven't seen anything show up on ours yet either, but supposedly it is operational.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - HAL 9000
Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM

I thought I had finally found "a" code to get this DVR to work with my Samsung LN40A550, but for some reason the remote *setup* is switching on it's own.

I'm new to this box and the TV, but I set it up as instructed with the "TV key" on the UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 remote. That worked for about a week, and sometime in the past few days it switched to Cable control, which is causing problems when shows are being recorded. What would cause it to switch?

Do I just need to keep searching for a *better* code to use? Any suggestions would be appreciated by this Charter viewer.

BTW, I have the DVR connected by HDMI cable to HDMI1, and a coax cable direct to TV input for PIP use [which I will eventually reconnect to my DVD recorder that will be connected by HDMI cable to HDMI2.]
Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

It's the HD special event PPV channel. Haven't seen anything show up on ours yet either, but supposedly it is operational.

Yes, they have a very limited schedule, usually they run Major WWE events (during the live showing only) and TNT wrestling. Sometimes boxing and a few of the adult / mature oriented ppv specials

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Can the DCH6416 pass 5.1 audio via HDMI or only via optical?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Can the DCH6416 pass 5.1 audio via HDMI or only via optical?

HDMI, Coaxial and Fiber should all pass 5.1

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

HDMI, Coaxial and Fiber should all pass 5.1

Well, I know that those connections can pass 5.1. I'm just curious to know if the box can pass audio via HDMI or if it only passes it via the optical output.

I'll of course have coaxial from the wall to the DCH6416, then HDMI to my Pioneer receiver. I would rather just have that HDMI cable do both audio and video, but I can use the toslink if necessary as well.

Also, this is a DCH6416 via Comcast.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I know that those connections can pass 5.1. I'm just curious to know if the box can pass audio via HDMI or if it only passes it via the optical output.

I'll of course have coaxial from the wall to the DCH6416, then HDMI to my Pioneer receiver. I would rather just have that HDMI cable do both audio and video, but I can use the toslink if necessary as well.

Also, this is a DCH6416 via Comcast.

That should have no problem,
Sorry for any confusion - the Coaxial in that case is refering to the SPDIF coaxial audio (an digital audio RCA type connection) as opposed to the RG6 RF in coax line.

All three are digital audio and should reproduce accurate 5.1 sound through most home theaters -

FYI -
if you don't get a picture when you pass through your Pioneer Receiver it may not be passing along the digital encryption signal (which is a known issue on many receivers which use "passive" switching) - I'm assuming from your post you're already connected this way and just want to make sure you're getting your 5.1 audio (which you should be)

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:

That should have no problem,
Sorry for any confusion - the Coaxial in that case is refering to the SPDIF coaxial audio (an digital audio RCA type connection) as opposed to the RG6 RF in coax line.

Duh...I should have known you were referring to that.

Quote:

All three are digital audio and should reproduce accurate 5.1 sound through most home theaters -

FYI -
if you don't get a picture when you pass through your Pioneer Receiver it may not be passing along the digital encryption signal (which is a known issue on many receivers which use "passive" switching) - I'm assuming from your post you're already connected this way and just want to make sure you're getting your 5.1 audio (which you should be)

Well, I will be connected tomorrow. That's when the TV gets delivered. I already have everything else ready to go.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 PM

...confused. When I turn the receiver off and select menu I get the screen which allows me to change HDMI/YPbPr. Problem is...mine doesn't say that. It ONLY says YPbPr....nothing about HDMI. I get no options for HDMI. I have the HDMI cable running to the box and then to my Pioneer reciever.

Is it not able to tell that I have HDMI hookedup because it's only running to the a/v receiver and that a/v receiver isn't hooked up to the TV yet?

Edit: They are telling me (via Comcast online chat) that my box isn't even registered...even though they installed. I have to wait six hours until they open and call them then. They CLAIM that they can activate the port for me. (it says it is not active from the menu)
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Is it not able to tell that I have HDMI hookedup because it's only running to the a/v receiver and that a/v receiver isn't hooked up to the TV yet?

That's very possible.  When my HD set was in the shop and I had an SDTV connected by component to a DCH3416, and the HDMI cable was dangling from the DVR with nothing on its other end, the DVR acted the same way, not mentioning HDMI but only YPbPr.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

...confused. When I turn the receiver off and select menu I get the screen which allows me to change HDMI/YPbPr. Problem is...mine doesn't say that. It ONLY says YPbPr....nothing about HDMI. I get no options for HDMI. I have the HDMI cable running to the box and then to my Pioneer reciever.

Try going from the Motorola box directly to the TV. You should then be able to see the HDMI. Once you have that set up, then go back through the Pioneer to the TV and all should be well. Why do you not have the Pioneer hooked up to the TV yet?

Bobby 

Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Nevermind. Thank you for the suggestions though. Turns out it was my own stupidity. This a/v receiver is brand new as well. It is way more advance than my old Sony non-HDMI receiver. I switched some things around and it worked like a charm. Thank you. TV will be here in about 5 minutes.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

This was good advice. I finally swapped out one of my DCT6412's today for a 3416. I figured it was time since I'm shooting for an all HDMI setup. Unfortunately, I could not get all the way there due to the fact that I like to watch TV without my receiver on a lot of the time. So, I did end up leaving the fiber optic cable to the receiver in place and just ran HDMI to the TV. I have seen posts saying that the picture quality is actually worse over HDMI than component video. I do not see where this is the case. However, it is not better. I'd say they are about equal.

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

there's not so much a problem with Tivo and Charter as there is just an issue with CableCards in general.

Many people have tunnel vision when they are trying to resolve issues, since cable cards are different they tend to get pushed aside.

Here's my advice

1) if you are looking into a TIVO consider a TIVO HD over the Series III - the HD only requires 1 M-Card (multistream) - it is also backwords compatible and can use 2 S-Cards (Single Stream) like the Series III does.

2) Be ready, willing and Able to be your own tech support.
Tivo's website has some good support links and faqs, there's also plenty of advice in AVS and other TIVO communities / forums. - many a user has been told "We Don't Support TIVO" and many a TIVO user has exclaimed "THEY HAVE TO SUPPORT TIVO" - the truth of the matter is We have to support CableCard. - so be ready to operate the box if the tech/installer is unfamilar and if a CSR gives you any issues about installing a "TIVO" just let them know you need a cable card install.

3) Beware of potential issues
For now there's no VOD and unless the updated USB dongle is there (or even availible) you're not likely to be able to access anything set up for SDV.

When dealing with support, you're more likely to get better results working with the local office - show up in person and if the CSR doesn't seem to know what's going on just ask for a Customer Care or Technicial operations Manager - they will usually know someone like me who knows how to deal with the buggers

Thanks.

If I can find a good price on a TivoHD I may just go this route.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
How does $179 for a refurb from tivo.com sound?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 PM

Why is the volume control maxxed out with dolby digital selected with the 6412? I use a Sherwood 6500 receiver which is locked on tone direct and has novolume control with the dolby from the 6412.

My dolby digital sound is always max volume.

I am forced to use pcm to get any control over the volume and there is a huge swing in volume from HD(low volume) to SD(LOUD but not max) channels.

POS needs to go back for a new model or what? I just moved and this gear sucks. No options that I can find either searching or in the manual of either the receiver or the 6412 helps.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM

With my 360 output of dolby digital stereo, there is no issue. Sound is fine. Must be the 6412. No idea how this even happens. Why would they have a unit do this? Must be messed up.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM

It is the Sherwood Receiver. For whatever reason, there is no volume control with in when Dolby Digital is input. Makes sense huh?

lol Fudge.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Making sure I understand. The DVR was in fact not bad?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandrewway View Post

It is the Sherwood Receiver. For whatever reason, there is no volume control with in when Dolby Digital is input. Makes sense huh?

lol Fudge.

So how are you supposed to control volume?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

So how are you supposed to control volume?

Apparently, I can't. Stuck with just digital stereo or PCM. Sucks. No idea wtf is up with the receiver b/c it goes into tone direct lock which means that nothing can change the damn signal???? I have no idea. None.