post #1081 of 2061 Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbor View Post

Hi all, I'm a newbie on the forum so I hope someone can help me out. I'm having trouble with getting the remote control (ATLAS type) to work with the box.

I've been having trouble with my motorola dch3416 box since I got it from Time Warner here in LA about a week ago. For a while there was no signal, a tech came out and fixed it so now I have perfect signal.

The weird thing is that the box and the remote DO talk to each other. When the cable is disconnected and I don't have signal then the box responds perfectly to the remote control, i.e. every button I push leads to an immediate response. When the cable is connected and I do have signal, then the box only responds once out of every 10-12 times I push the button. I then programmed the remote to control my TV as well and that didn't fix the issue. I've tried reprogramming the remote with the 4 digit codes for motorola but that doesn't fix the program. Part of it is lag, but the most annoying part is that the box just "drops" 90% of the signals.

If anybody can help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Is this by any chance a Samsung or Panasonic flat screen? If so, try leaving the box connected the way it is and turn off the TV and see what happens. Do you see the light come on the box that it's getting the remote command?

Just my 2¢
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2061 Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I turn the TV off and on via remote as well as manually and the IR light on the box does NOT come on. When the TV turns on the time instantly flickers to something starting with a d and then goes back, dunno if that is significant. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
post #1083 of 2061 Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I turn the TV off and on via remote as well as manually and the IR light on the box does NOT come on. When the TV turns on the time instantly flickers to something starting with a d and then goes back, dunno if that is significant. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Sorry I should've been a little more specific. Leave the box connected, turn the TV off (with remote or manually), when TV is off try pressing buttons on remote to work the cable box. Obviously you won't be able to see the menus or channels change but you should still see a little dot blink to the right of the clock showing the box is receiving the commands from the remote. While when the TV is on the dot is probably not blinking, at least not most of the time. Also, when the TV is on and you press the buttons on the front of the cable box does the box respond to the buttons you press that way?

The 'd' you refer to is basically DVI (it looks like DUI) and is misleading because you most likely are using HDMI.

Lastly, what kind of TV do you have?

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1084 of 2061 Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 PM

Hi Jon,

I think you are onto something! When I turn the TV off, then the cable box appears to respond to each button press. Also, the cable box responds perfectly when I push the buttons on the unit itself.

My TV is a Samsung hi-def TV. You are right, I am using an HDMI input as well.

I suppose there is an issue with interference between the TV and the box perhaps being too close to each others remote frequencies or something. I tried putting in about 3 different Samsung codes into the remote control. The TV continues to respond perfectly to all of the codes but the cable box continues to "drop" 90% of the remote button presses.

What should I do?

Thanks so much!
post #1085 of 2061 Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 AM

It might not be the remote code, it may be that the TV is giving off a lot of interference in the IR spectrum, thus making it hard for the STB to register any remote commands.
post #1086 of 2061 Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Jon,

I think you are onto something! When I turn the TV off, then the cable box appears to respond to each button press. Also, the cable box responds perfectly when I push the buttons on the unit itself.

My TV is a Samsung hi-def TV. You are right, I am using an HDMI input as well.

I suppose there is an issue with interference between the TV and the box perhaps being too close to each others remote frequencies or something. I tried putting in about 3 different Samsung codes into the remote control. The TV continues to respond perfectly to all of the codes but the cable box continues to "drop" 90% of the remote button presses.

What should I do?

Thanks so much!

I think Koolkid hit it on the nose -
There's a simple fix for this -

Apply a small piece of masking tape over the IR emitter on the end of the remote - this will filter the light just enough to help it out.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #1087 of 2061 Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi guys,

The masking tape worked! I put it actually on the IR receiver on the box and that seems to fix the issue perfectly! You guys were able to solve in less than 24 hours what Time Warner hasn't been able to do in numerous home visits and telephone conversations. I really appreciate your help, you guys are awesome!
post #1088 of 2061 Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Glad we could help.

CharterJ.. thanks for the masking tape trick, I didn't know about that one. I knew it was interference from the TV but didn't realize there was a high tech solution out there to fix it.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1089 of 2061 Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Any word on a NEW, updated Moxi box DVR for Charter Cable?
post #1090 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

I just got the box and cannot find instructions for the following:

If a recording has started and -- let's say 10 minutes later -- I want to start viewing it from the beginning while it continues to record, what should I do?
Many thanks.
post #1091 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 View Post

I just got the box and cannot find instructions for the following:

If a recording has started and -- let's say 10 minutes later -- I want to start viewing it from the beginning while it continues to record, what should I do?
Many thanks.

Just start it from the recorded programming, you'll keep recording it while it's being watched from the beginning - if you stop it etc, it will keep recording (unless you try to power off the box or go into the guide and tell it to stop recording)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #1092 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 01:03 PM

This is one of the best things about having a DVR. Wait until 20 minutes after a one-hour show has started and you can watch it without commercials by skipping through them.

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #1093 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone8576 View Post

Wait until 20 minutes after a one-hour show has started and you can watch it without commercials by skipping through them.

Is there a way of monitoring how long a commercial will last (e.g. using slow motion?), or is it hit-and-miss? What is the best method for skipping through them?
post #1094 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Is there a way of monitoring how long a commercial will last (e.g. using slow motion?), or is it hit-and-miss? What is the best method for skipping through them?

Not quite sure what you were asking but shows typically have about 9-10 minutes of commercials per half hour.

So if you want to watch a 2 hour show without commercials, you would start at about 36-40 minutes in.
post #1095 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I just hit the jump forward button. If I go to far, hit the jump back button. Note - these commands are not active on Comcast remotes but the feature can be turned on. There is a thread either here or on remote central about activating it.
post #1096 of 2061 Old 09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
3NF

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post

I just hit the jump forward button. If I go to far, hit the jump back button. Note - these commands are not active on Comcast remotes but the feature can be turned on. There is a thread either here or on remote central about activating it.

I don't have a Comcast remote, so what I do is fast forward until I see the show. Hit stop, and then the page down button, which takes you back 15 seconds.
post #1097 of 2061 Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post

Here is the link to the Wiki on programming the remote. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ing_the_Remote

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #1098 of 2061 Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 AM

FYI, if you're using a Logitech Harmony, the 30 second forward skip and 10 second back skip commands are automatically mapped to the FORWARD JUMP and BACKWARD JUMP buttons when you add the Motorola DVR to your devices.
post #1099 of 2061 Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev12 View Post

FYI, if you're using a Logitech Harmony, the 30 second forward skip and 10 second back skip commands are automatically mapped to the FORWARD JUMP and BACKWARD JUMP buttons when you add the Motorola DVR to your devices.

I have the Logitech Harmony 659 and have added the Mot DCH3416 to it. But I cannot find those FORWARD JUMP and BACKWARD JUMP buttons on the lists. Maybe these buttons are only on the more recent Harmony models?
post #1100 of 2061 Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I have the Logitech Harmony 659 and have added the Mot DCH3416 to it. But I cannot find those FORWARD JUMP and BACKWARD JUMP buttons on the lists. Maybe these buttons are only on the more recent Harmony models?

The 659 does not have hard "skip back" and "skip forward" buttons (commonly used as song/chapter skip buttons on cd/dvd players). You could map those functions to the lcd screen. The 3416 commands are probably labeled "Replay" and "Advance" in the Harmony software.
post #1101 of 2061 Old 09-28-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

I had a 6412 (same coding as 3416) working just fine on my Harmony 659. Look for Advance and Rewind on their list, that is what they are called.

Bobby 

post #1102 of 2061 Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I was only speaking about the Harmony ONE. Don't know about other models, but I would assume that since the Motorola DVR is in Logitech's database, that the commands are in the software program, and one would just have to find them on the list and store them as additional buttons or map them to unused buttons on the remote.
post #1103 of 2061 Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev12 View Post

You can program the Comcast remote to have a 30 second skip button as well.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...30-Second_Skip
post #1104 of 2061 Old 09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I got home from work today and my DCT-6412p2 was frozen with 12:00 on the display. Power cycled it like I always do when it freezes, but this time it came back up with all of the recordings erased! Also, all of the series recordings were erased as well!

I guess there's no loss now turning it in for a DCH-3416. I called Comcast to make sure my local office didn't have a shortage, so I'll be visiting them tomorrow.

Hope to get a DCH model instead of a DCT model.
FWIW, The Comcast guy on the phone confirmed that this is the original DVR when my account first was setup in June 2005. Wow, this DVR lasted awhile ain't?
post #1105 of 2061 Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 PM

I have a DCT6412 III and a Panasonic PZ85, a plasma HDTV.

When I am watching the HD stations in Full Mode, the iGuide graphic does not fill the entire screen, but displays the 4:3 proportioned graphic with two black pillar boxes on either side to fill the 16:9 screen. To get the iGuide to fill the 16:9 screen without pillar boxes, I have to switch the PZ85 to H-Fill or Just. I'd prefer to watch the HD stations and the iGuide in Full mode without having to worry about those pillar boxes or jumping for the remote to change the aspect ratio to get rid of them every time I want to see what's on.

Is there any other way -- besides the television's aspect ratios -- to get iGuide to fill the screen without pillar boxes?

Thank you.
post #1106 of 2061 Old 09-30-2008, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

That's just how the I-Guide is designed on HDTV's. It's unknown as to if they would ever be able to update the guide to "HD Resolution". In it's current form it would appear not, as the box is already too bogged down having to display the guide in 320x240. Maybe someone smart will figure out a software hack for the boxes in the future. Some kind of new frame buffering / direct memory access / whatever hack you can think of.

If you power off the box and push Menu, in the 480 Over-ride, if it's set to off or 480p I think, on SD channels, the guide will fill the screen, minus about an inch on the right side. If that setting is set to "Stretch", then the guide is always centered 4:3, even on SD channels.
post #1107 of 2061 Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 PM

I used to have a passive, manual optical splitter since my HTIB only has one digital input. I recently bought an A/V selector that allows me to "pass-through" the audio for this box directly to my receiver. Overall, I think the sound is improved (I'm getting actual 5.1 sound to my receiver), but now I find that the rear surround sound overwhelms the front speakers in certain parts of the room. Should I be using something other than PASS-THROUGH for the audio on this box?
post #1108 of 2061 Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

So I got home from work today and my DCT-6412p2 was frozen with 12:00 on the display. Power cycled it like I always do when it freezes, but this time it came back up with all of the recordings erased! Also, all of the series recordings were erased as well!

I guess there's no loss now turning it in for a DCH-3416. I called Comcast to make sure my local office didn't have a shortage, so I'll be visiting them tomorrow.

Hope to get a DCH model instead of a DCT model.
FWIW, The Comcast guy on the phone confirmed that this is the original DVR when my account first was setup in June 2005. Wow, this DVR lasted awhile ain't?

I remember we were discussing a couple months ago whether to upgrade or not, so now you don't have to decide.

My DCT-6412p2 is still working, and it is even older; it also is the original DVR on my account, I got it the first day it was offfered, in mid-Nov. 2004! I was going to replace it, but I am seriously thinking of adding another one, which I would make the primary DVR. The current one should suffice as a secondary DVR, at least for a little while more, until something newer is released...if it lasts.
post #1109 of 2061 Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Well I went to the office and got the newer DCH-3416! It still has the plastic wrap on the front panel

Ascetically, a much nicer looking piece of equipment. I like the button arrangement, the white LCD and the flat silver/black front bezel. Totally looks more high tech than the bubbly front with the orange LCD on the older boxes. Also I have the format button on the front, and I can now use that EFC code on the remote to switch formats on the fly! If I'm going to watch something like House on FOX or a football game on ABC or ESPN, I can now switch it to 720p without powering off the box and loosing a recording on the second tuner.

It's a little more responsive. Not as fast as I thought it would be, but it is quicker than the DCT-6412. One thing I've noticed is that this thing handles SD so much better than the old box. Everything looks much sharper. I'm not sure if it's a better decoder chip, or the fact that it's straight HDMI instead of the DVI adapter. It's a huge difference and I'm so happy I got it! Also no more audio cables required! No more RCA "Y" Cables on my L/R outputs to feed a VCR for archiving.

First when I hooked it up however, it wasn't working right. Only the non-encrypted channels like Ch 2-27, and the odd balls that come in with my TV's QAM tuner (Like Fox News, TCM, Fox Soccer, Music Choice, Telefura, PPV Preview, etc..) worked. Everything else said "One Moment Please" which is normally the error for low signal. Had me a little nervous (It should of said Not Authorized, right???). The diagnostics all showed good levels (perhaps better than the old DVR even). 0 errors, High 36 SNR on QAM256 channels, 20 SNR on the 104.20 QPSK OOB Channel.

So the Comcast guy on the phone was sending hits, the box was acknowledging them but the channels still wouldn't come in. I persisted and he ended up sending some kind of full reset hit. Instead of the hit looking invisible it actually reset the box. Once the box loaded the time again I powered it up and all of the channels in my package are working now. Not really sure what the difference between the two hits were, but if you do swap and have issues, insist on the full reset "Strongest signal you got" hit. That fixed it for me.

My DCT-700's loaded I-Guide A25 last night, but the old DVR didn't update. Needless to say this new DVR of course has I-Guide 74.54-4003, but hopefully tonight it will get the A25 update. Most area's stage hits and do SD boxes one night, then DVR's the next night. So good timing if it comes, because then I'll get working record LED's again. That's one thing I swore I wouldn't get a DCH box until those record LED's worked.
post #1110 of 2061 Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Background - with the crowded Monday night schedule and episodes of shows that pop in there despite the fact they're repeats, I had to do some housecleaning the make sure I recorded what I wanted. The good news is I didn't need more than two programs per time slot, but other programs were getting in the way.

1. First of all, going to my scheduled recordings didn't display the whole list right away, So, everything looked good with no conflicts. However, I later noticed in the guide that a show would not be recorded. Going back to schedule recordings showed programs that were not previously there.

2. Went to set the priority. Found the program, moved it up or down. But it wouldn't take. When I do back into the priority screen, it was back to where it started. Am I missing a "Save" button somewhere?

3. The next step was to cancel the recordings that I didn't want. In one instance, there were four shows to record with the top two being the ones I didn't want. Canceled one, good, halfway there. Cancelled the second, but instead of the fourth show becoming active, now the first one is again that I just cancelled! ARgggh. The workaroudn was to cancel the series recordings for the first two, then re-program them so they fall lower in the priority list. But even tho I started with a later showing (Daily show at 11p) it stil wanted to give me the 8P repeat, but it let me past that because it was lower in priority.

This is a 3416 on Comcast. How much of this is as designed, bugs or user error? TIA
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page