Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2061 Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

Any news on the Motorola DCH 3416 30 second skip. This is driving me nuts not having this feature since my last DVR had it.

Perhaps someone with a DCH3416 can comment on this definitively, as I have a DCT6416 from Charter. I found out that the DCT6416 30 second skip function was intact, just not available on the UR4U. I bought a Logitech programmable remote and the function is there as "Advance". I initially tested it with a cheap Radio Shack remote that was programmable before I bought the Harmony 720 because I understand that this function is indeed blocked in certain markets. So you might not have to give up just yet on this DVR!

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2061 Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

Perhaps someone with a DCH3416 can comment on this definitively, as I have a DCT6416 from Charter. I found out that the DCT6416 30 second skip function was intact, just not available on the UR4U. I bought a Logitech programmable remote and the function is there as "Advance". I initially tested it with a cheap Radio Shack remote that was programmable before I bought the Harmony 720 because I understand that this function is indeed blocked in certain markets. So you might not have to give up just yet on this DVR!

I have a programable remote of my own. Maybe I could buy a remote that has that feature and use it to program my remote and then return the remote. Anyone got a suggestion on which remote to buy?
post #93 of 2061 Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:

I have a programable remote of my own. Maybe I could buy a remote that has that feature and use it to program my remote and then return the remote. Anyone got a suggestion on which remote to buy?

Have you tried programming this into your remote or can you only do that in learn mode from another? Earlier in this thread is a post with the code sequence for programming this. You could just get a Radio Shack "All in One" for $5, program it and have your's learn from it if you can't program it directly.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #94 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The UR10 from Universal Remotes is pretty programable, I'm not sure if they would support this feature but I know I got one to replace a moxi remote (which is not easy...) and it's RF capable if you ever need to relocate the equipment (just need the Blaster unit)

I was just answering a PM similar to this and was wondering other than the Comcast remote - anyone know of remotes that have the additional feature options and codes to set them up?

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #95 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

The UR10 from Universal Remotes is pretty programable, I'm not sure if they would support this feature but I know I got one to replace a moxi remote (which is not easy...) and it's RF capable if you ever need to relocate the equipment (just need the Blaster unit)

I was just answering a PM similar to this and was wondering other than the Comcast remote - anyone know of remotes that have the additional feature options and codes to set them up?

The One for All remotes http://www.ofausa.com/ will all work. They range from simple to extravagant, and are available from Bestbuy, Circuit City, Walmart, home improvement stores, drug stores. Look for something like 4-for-All, 5-for-All, etc. The Comcast remote is made by this company. Radio Shack remotes are made by them. And X10 sells a model that includes a radio transmitter that will dim your lights and can operate all brands of X10-type controlers. Device codes and programming codes are shared by all of them.

But seriously, the Comcast remote is custom designed for Motorola DVRs, and works well for the task. The one to get looks like the picture you posted, but has five additional buttons on the bottom.

I just found one on ebay for less than eight bucks delivered. Search for "Comcast remote"--there are many. Remember to get the one with 5 PIP buttons on the bottom. One of the buttons is labeled "Swap" and is already programmed to switch between the 2 tuners. The 30-second skip function must be added to one of the unused buttons.

There is a widely scattered community of programming instructions. For general instructions relating to Motorola DVRs, look here.

I do not (any longer) use Comcast. My provider is RCN, which uses Passport Echo software for their DVRs. The 30-second skip is disabled. But fast forward and reverse have speeds of 5X, 20X, and 60X. These are so fast that the there is an automatic 5, 10, and 20-second backup, respectively, whenever you push Play to stop a FF or Rev action--needed to get you closer to where you wanted to be.

Passport also has a FF and Rev advance-to-tick function. There are tick marks on the progress bar at each 15-minute mark. You can jump instantly to the next tick in FF by pressing the right guide navigation button. Similar for Rev. This can be repeated rapidly, so that you could advance (or go back) one hour of recorded or buffered time in about 2 seconds of button pushing. Also the buffers for unrecorded programming on the two tuners are 60-minutes long for both SD and HD.

Just thought I would throw that in, since the Thread topic is not labeled as provider-specific. I am very satisfied with Passport. Head and shoulders above I-guide, IMO. There are many more differences, but I have already gone on too long.

Samsung LN-T5265F
Dynex DX-L32-10
Proscan 40LC45S
post #96 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 AM

My DVR clock runs one minute slow...so I miss the beginning of everything I record! Can someone help me? Is there a way to manually set the time? Thank you.
post #97 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Jones View Post

My DVR clock runs one minute slow...so I miss the beginning of everything I record! Can someone help me? Is there a way to manually set the time? Thank you.

The DVR clock is controlled by the head end. You should report that time difference to your cable company so they can fix it. Another thing you can do is to manually set your DVR to start one minute early on each of you recordings, but you have to do that individually by program.

Bobby 

post #98 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einride View Post

The One for All remotes http://www.ofausa.com/ will all work.

You know I've been eyeballing the Kameleon series for a long time...

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #99 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I actually have an older "one for all" remote but I can't get it to work. I don't know the code. I think I will either go to radio shack or Walmart and see what I can pick up. Anyone have an exact model number that you know will work?
post #100 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, I was able to program a 30-second forward skip (found in Motorola thread) into the Comcast remote for my Motorola DCT3416 I.
post #101 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Hiyman, Just to be clear, did you try the following sequence on your remote? This is from the wiki re: the Comcast silver remote, but it worked when I tried it with a Radio Shack "7 in 1" remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstream View Post

1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00173.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The "Cable" button will blink twice if successful.

post #102 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Hiyman, Just to be clear, did you try the following sequence on your remote? This is from the wiki re: the Comcast silver remote, but it worked when I tried it with a Radio Shack "7 in 1" remote.

I have the remote from Universal without the setup button. I am trying to program an oneforall remote but I think it is to old. I also tried the sequence that you suggested on the oneforall, but it will not take the 00173. It will only take 4 numbers before it blinks twice.
post #103 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 08:06 PM

hiyman, try 0173

post #104 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:

hiyman, try 0173

That doesn't work either. I think its just to old. Time to go shopping I think.
post #105 of 2061 Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Anyone know if the HDCP handshake issue has been resolved? I have a Denon 887 and can't get the HDMI Video to work even with the latest firmware and software updates!!!!!!!

HD is Hot Daddy
post #106 of 2061 Old 10-18-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:

That doesn't work either. I think its just to old. Time to go shopping I think.

The older models of OFA remotes use a 3-digit key code. Drop the leading 00 and use 173. But first, have you entered a device code that can control the other DVR functions?

Samsung LN-T5265F
Dynex DX-L32-10
Proscan 40LC45S
post #107 of 2061 Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDJ View Post

Anyone know if the HDCP handshake issue has been resolved? I have a Denon 887 and can't get the HDMI Video to work even with the latest firmware and software updates!!!!!!!

I've not heard of that issue, I know HDMI handshake has worked on most models of receiver and TV. I know a new version of Moto firmware is due out as systems change to the A25 version of guide

post #108 of 2061 Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstream View Post

I find the 30 sec skip very useful for skipping quickly through commercials. Much less frustrating than FF and dealing with the remote lag when pressing play.

Give it a try--instructions here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ing_the_Remote

Add 30-Second Skip
The following technique can be used to map an unused or unneeded button on the "silver" remote to the 30-second skip command. Current versions of the i-Guide software will skip forward 30 seconds into a recording when this command is sent. A good choice is the 'A / Lock' button since many users don't need that function; you can feel both the '15-second-back' and '30-second-skip' buttons with one finger and move between them without looking. Another option is to reprogram the '15-second back' button, since PgDn already provides that functionality.

1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00173.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The "Cable" button will blink twice if successful.

This will work for the following remotes
Atlas Series - Millenium Series

Press and Hold Setup the Cable Button (or LED @ top) Blinks 2 times
Type in code 994 - light will blink 2 times
Press (don't hold) Setup
Type in 173
Press button to map 30 second skip command to

The Instant replay is mapped to Page Down - so I recommend mapping the function to Page up

****do not confuse the Atlas series with the UR4 series - UR4 does not have a setup button and the manual will say UNIVERSAL REMOTE at the bottom***

At some point I think Universal Remote and OFA intergrated, I'm not 100% sure, but Remotes with UR in their name and no setup button so far seem to be UR and not compatible with the OFA trick.

Charter Remote Page is a good resource if you need access to the remote's manual.

Here's another update - I've pulled all the function codes and tested them with a Millenium 4 style (which is my prefered remote)
The Page up and Page down buttons now to Skip and Replay (while retaining their guide function) I've reprogrammed LOCK to "My DVR" since I do all my locking in the menu. - Bypass allows me to switch Tuners now and for kicks I mapped P to PPV "preview" which shows what's currently on PPV during the current window.

To make things easier I created this little chart (it's a jpg so feel free to copy it) with all the functions and the instructions.

post #109 of 2061 Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Just got back from Walmart with a new One For All remote. Model #URC-4220 and it only cost about $9.00. After reading a couple of pages in the owners manual I realized that I didn't even have to program the remote for the Motorola cable box. It was already preset, and it actually had the replay and skip button. I put the batteries in and it worked like a charm. I programmed the skip button into my learning remote and now I am a happy camper. This would have been so easy if I would have known.

Thanks to all who helped me figure this out.

I hope this helps a few others out!!!
post #110 of 2061 Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM

HI All, I just got a DCH6416 and already hcve an issue. I set it to record a couple shows last night in HD and it was fine, I watched the shows and deleted them and scheduled 3 more for today. Well when it came time to record my shows today it says there is no space left that I needed to delete some recordings to continue. I went into the DVR and it says 0% full, no shows recorded. I took all the scheduled shows off and tried to setup more but I got the same error message about space. I'm new to these DVR's so any help is appreciated. I don't see any settings menu or anything for the DVR itself.
Thanks,
Derek
post #111 of 2061 Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Unplug the box and then plug it back in. That should reset it.

Bobby 

post #112 of 2061 Old 10-19-2007, 06:40 PM

^^ Thanks Bobby

It allowed me to setup a manual recording and I'll see in 20 mins if it starts to record.

Weird thing though the guide data is incomplete now and all stations say to be determined. Does it take a longtime to get all the guide info? Its been 10 mins since I unplugged the power to reset it.

One more thing this thing has a 160GB HD in it how many HD hours can it record? I know the 120GB holds 20 hours so it should be about 26 or so I guess.
post #113 of 2061 Old 10-20-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

It takes the guide a bit of time to populate. In the first half hour or so you should see several hours out and then it continues to add. It may take a few days to get about 2 weeks out. This is the way it is with a loss of power.

The 120GB allows more like 15-16 hours of HD recording. The 160Gb is 1/3 larger so you might expect about 20 hours.

Bobby 

post #114 of 2061 Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've had a little talk with TV Guide after working with our lab and I've learned the root cause of most series recording issues (including the CBS issues in my market)

Effectively what's going on is if there's more than one SD channel that's airing the same program at the same time there's potential for the box to get hung up and not record the series.

Sometimes this might be a hidden virtual channel, other times it might be different feeds of the same channel (for example two different CBS feeds)

This issue IS resolved in TV Guide A25, which is due soon (but most MSOs are still testing...) however in the mean time I've noticed a few fixes

1) if the network has an HD feed - try recording the series in HD

2) if you notice two of the same feed (Two CBS networks etc) try clearing the series recording and setting it up on the other feed
you can also just set the existing one to record on all channels rather than "just this one" and it should work... But for example here, if you tell it to do a series on WBTV it won't, but if you hit WSPA (a Upstate SC feed)

post #115 of 2061 Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Hello all,
I've been scouring the Internet trying to figure out how to map this function on my UR5U-8400A remote. I have a DCT3416 box. There is no setup button on my remote. Instead, the manual says to hold in CBL and Enter for three seconds to access any sort of programming.
Has anyone encountered the same quest, and had any success?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated....I'm about to throw this thing through the window.

Thanks,
Caleb
email: sodden_skier@hotmail.com
post #116 of 2061 Old 10-24-2007, 05:55 PM

I don't think you can program this function into this remote. See post 108 above. It would appear that only the Atlas-Millenium series remotes from Charter are capable.

post #117 of 2061 Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 AM

From what I understand, the box does have the capacity.
So, if I were to get the one-for-all remote, that should have the function. Then, if I were to get a learning remote, I could intercept the signal from the one-for-all and I'd have it made in the shade?
post #118 of 2061 Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoncal View Post

From what I understand, the box does have the capacity.
So, if I were to get the one-for-all remote, that should have the function. Then, if I were to get a learning remote, I could intercept the signal from the one-for-all and I'd have it made in the shade?

In theory all One-For-All made remotes should be able to use the setups outlined above - as well as many models of the better home theater universal remotes

post #119 of 2061 Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 AM

I just purchased a Harmony 880 remote and it has the 30 sec skip preprogrammed in for my new DCH 3416. It was on page 3 or 4 of the device specific buttons and was labeled "Advance". This is a more expensive route than a cheap All-In-One but it works nice and if you were looking at a Harmony anyway... this is another reason to make the jump. The gf loves the remote and is faster on skip button than I am.

jeeter
post #120 of 2061 Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a Harmony 880 off eBay for around $100.
From my experience with previous equipment and looking at other services, I think Dish Network has the only remote with the commercial skip button functional straight from the factory. I don't get it, but I'm glad there is a workaround (albeit an expensive one). It is notable that I have the Motorola DCT 3416 not the DCH 3416. Crossing my fingers....anyone have the same box or know if I'll have success?

Thanks again,
Caleb
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page