Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2061 Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I now know why this whole resolution on the fly via a remote code isn't working for me...the format button the front of the DVR doesn't even work. It sends a signal, but it doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2061 Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 AM

Liked: 11
i just got a 6416 and i recorded 1 - 2 hour movie in hd and it said it was full?
post #1173 of 2061 Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback2 2 View Post

i just got a 6416 and i recorded 1 - 2 hour movie in hd and it said it was full?

Check here for info on the 100% full bug....
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...is_100.25_full

This has to be a new record though for least amount of recordings/space used for this to rear its ugly head though. I can't believe after all this time they haven't been able to fix this problem!

BB
post #1174 of 2061 Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

I believe that either way your people and objects will be 33% wider in proportion to their height. Personally, I prefer the black bars so that proportionality is maintained

BTW, I am now a DCH 3416 user and like the small differences and I think the regular SD channels that are being converted to SD digital are better looking also.

Some TVs have a way of filling the image with as little distortion as possible if that mode is selected.
post #1175 of 2061 Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolkid1935 View Post

Some TVs have a way of filling the image with as little distortion as possible if that mode is selected.

I can tell my TV to even zoom it and it will expand 33% vertically and horizontally and the picture looks great, except most head shots are cut off just above the eyes! This mode is called "zoom" on my set.

As you mention there is a mode that distorts it as little as possible, seems like it is kind of a pan and scan mode, that fill the screen, but does a minimum of distortion. My set happens to be a Sony. Does anybody know what is the method of this "wide zoom" is.

I got looking at my set ups for both DVR fed and cable feed to my TV and I turned on 4:3 overide on TV to default to the "Wide Zoom" mode. I think that looks better. Will try it for a while and see if wife notices it. If she does, then I will know it is better.

Lastly, If the program is 12:9 (4:3) and the screen is 16:9 and you fill the screen horizontally only, then I think the picture would be 33% too wide in relation to its height. On my TV this is called "Full" I was defaulting to this mode, but per above, am going to try the other zoom mode.
post #1176 of 2061 Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolkid1935 View Post

You can also use 480i instead of stretch. Then have your TV fill the 480i signal to it's native resolution (should be an option in your TV's settings).

He mentioned "Just Scan" which is a Samsung Term for 1:1 pixel mapping. I have a Samsung HPT-4254 Plasma TV, and the HDMI ports do not support 480i. It has nothing to do with the Motorola's HDMI implantation, but some kind of oversight at Samsung that yields an "Unsupported Mode" message box. Perhaps this is fixed on their newer TV's. I did flash my TV with the latest firmware, but that did not add 480i over HDMI compatibility. What I don't understand is how TV manufacturers can let sets out past quality control without supporting all of the ATSC/NTSC required resolutions. I've heard reports (and seen firsthand on a friends TV) of HDTV's yes, HDTV's not even supporting 720p. Guess back then they never heard of ESPN HD or FOX HD eh? Don't think newer ones have this type of limitation, but I guess that's why technology evolves.
post #1177 of 2061 Old 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

He mentioned "Just Scan" which is a Samsung Term for 1:1 pixel mapping.

Ah, didn't know that.
post #1178 of 2061 Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have a HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver which I use for L-PCM loseless audio from my PS3, do I want to connect my DCT6412 HDMI to the receiver and use the audio over HDMI or do I still want to use OPTICAL audio from the 6412? Does the 6412 give digital multichannel sound OVER HDMI?
post #1179 of 2061 Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

I have a HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver which I use for L-PCM loseless audio from my PS3, do I want to connect my DCT6412 HDMI to the receiver and use the audio over HDMI or do I still want to use OPTICAL audio from the 6412? Does the 6412 give digital multichannel sound OVER HDMI?

Yes, that's how I have it set up
post #1180 of 2061 Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post

I posted a question about this in other theads but only got one response (and that was a while ago).

Ah, the confirmation from V.X.Donique in your Weird DCH3416 behavior thread that they were seeing the same issue?

Quote:

I'm seeing a strange problem with my Comcast 3416. The bottom few rows of pixels from the image are transplanted to the top of the image for HD signals.

On my DCH3416 (firmware 18.34), this happens for both HD and SD signals. It only occurs on the composite and S-Video outputs (and presumably coax -- haven't tried), not the component outputs (and presumably not HDMI either -- haven't confirmed).

Quote:

It is only a few lines, so therefore it is not noticeable unless you have TV in a 1:1 pixel mode (sometimes called native, full pixel, 0% overscan, etc.).

Yeah, I use a 1920x1200 HDMI computer monitor with no overscan options as my HDTV, thus I see this.

Quote:

This is NOT to be confused with the closed captioning data in SD broacasts. This also manifests as lines at the top of the image. It is DEFINETLY lines from the bottom of the image. It is especially easy to see when viewing a background that has a different solid color at the bottom compared to the top. For example, if you are viewing an HD picture that consists of the top half solid red and the bottom half solid blue, you will see a very thin blue line at the top.

Right. If you're watching an SD signal, though, you'll also see the closed caption encoding on the two scanlines below the bottom scanline which has been transposed to the top. This is how I came up against this issue. I was archiving some shows from my 3416 to DVD (via analog to DV capture with my Sony MiniDV camcorder), and since I was seeing the CC encoding lines in the picture, I was thinking that the captions would be preserved. However, I found that when playing back the DVDs on my old analog SDTV (with CC display enabled), no captions would result.

I was thinking that this was due to everything being shifted down one scanline by the one from the bottom being moved up to the top, but using Vegas, my video editor, to move the picture up or down one or more lines didn't seem to help. (However, I later realized that Vegas' Pan/Crop feature causes it to deinterlace interlaced signals, and in the HDMI not allowing Closed Captioning? thread, it's mentioned that deinterlacing destroys the CC info, so this may not have been a valid test.)

I've tried a lot of searching to find out what line Line 21 corresponds to on a 720x480 DTV picture, but haven't been able to find anything. I've read that Line 21 is part of the Vertical Blanking Interval, which would seem to indicate it's not part of the visible picture at all, but I've seen CC signals on pure analog setups (can't remember if this was due to incorrect overscan adjustment or due to a rolling picture). The closest I found to the info I was looking for was http://www.cpcweb.com/nle/nle-hardware.htm, which states that "Caption data sits in 720x486 video in Row 0, 1 or 2 depending on the NLE system". No info on the site about what happens if it's a DV-style 720x480 picture rather than 720x486, but it would sound like the CC lines would be excluded.

A weird thing is that when I connected my 3416's composite video out directly to my analog TV, closed captions would be displayed. Yet when digitizing that same signal and putting on a DVD and playing that through the same TV, no captions. This made me wonder whether something in my video capture / editing / mastering workflow was breaking the captions, but given what I've learned since then, I'm wondering if it's actually the case that the DVR was outputting them in two places, one on the (invisible?) Line 21 where they're supposed to be, and another copy within the picture overscan region??

Quote:

It goes away if the box is rebooted but eventually it starts happening again. It is definitely not a problem with the signal from the provider because it happens when playing back an HD recording from the hard drive. If I reboot, the replayed recording looks correct. After the "bug" shows up, the recording has the bottom lines of pixels transplanted to the top. So clearly this is a problem with the way the signal is sent from the box to the display.

Thank you for reporting that!! I hadn't realized my DVR wasn't doing this from day one. Sure enough, after doing a hard power-cycle of my box, I see that the scanline from the bottom is no longer "rotated" to the top, and the CC lines are not visible either. Well, at least they're usually not visible. If I hit Pause, I see them at the top (just the CC lines -- not the misplaced bottom scanline from before the reboot). When I unpause, I see that the DVR is duplicating the third and fourth scanlines to the top to cover up where the CCs would be. This sometimes introduces noticeable picture artifacts. This only occurs over the S-Video (and presumably composite) out(s) -- over the component out (which I guess I should mention is going into a Denon AVR-888 and from there via HDMI -> DVI to my NEC 2490WUXi LCD monitor), the top two scanlines are the unmolested CC encoding lines. (Great, so I can't get them on the output I use to make DVDs, and am forced to have them on the output I use to view TV, where they serve no purpose for me other than to annoy.)

If the're no way to get the Closed Captions to be operable on my DVDs (I also tried various experiments with SCC Tools and ccextractor, to see if I could extract the CC info and convert it to DVD subtitles, but never managed to successfully extract any captions), I'm sorry I didn't manage to find your post sooner, as I've already made a bunch of DVDs with visible (and annoying, on 0% overscan displays like mine) but useless encoded captions. While the scanline duplication after the reboot can result in visible artifacts, it's certainly a lot less noticeable than the CC lines.

BTW, not really on topic, but another thing about this DVR that annoyed the crap out of me is that by default the stereo analog audio outs are set to mono output. How ridiculous a default is that?? Unfortunately I had archived off a bunch of shows to DVD (deleting the HD copies) before I discovered this.

Quote:

I'll make one more note which is an important one. I have an HD DVR box, but not an HDTV. I just have a regular 27" crt connected to the DVR via s-video. If I tune to an HD channel, the box downconverts it to 480i letterbox over s-video. It is quite possible that this problem is very specific to my situation because I am a.) downconverting and b.) using s-video.

Has anyone else seen this?

I haven't figured out which sequence of repeatable events causes this to happen. I have never witnessed the change while watching an HD channel. It seems to only show up at some point after switching to an HD channel after coming out of standby or switching from an SD station.

I was thinking maybe it would be triggered by turning on viewing of CCs with the DVR menu, but no dice.

Quote:

Has anyone else seen this?

Edit: I'll admit that it only occurred to me that the problem could be related to HD->480i downconverting when I was almost done writing this post. At the beginning, I mentioned that you'll only see the problem with 0% overscan mode. I should rather say... if this problem is NOT limited to just HD->480i downconvert, I'd imagine that you won't see it on an HD set unless you have 0% overscan. With my particular setup, I see the transplanted scanlines within the inner letterboxed portion of the image on my SDTV. In other words, from top to bottom in order I see, 1.) top black letterbox bar, 2.) transplanted scan line(s), 3.) normal image, 4.) bottom black letterbox bar.

Yeah, at first I thought maybe my MiniDV camera was doing the scanline transposition, until I saw that it happened for letterboxed HD signals as well, at the top of the widescreen picture region rather than at the top of the 4:3 frame.

So I assume there's no way to preserve Closed Captions when archiving content from this DVR, other than turning them on with the DVR menu, recording the video with and without them on, and then setting up the footage on the DVD as multiple angles?

Short of that waste of DVD capacity, I guess I would have to bite the bullet and pay the big bucks for a TiVo and use SCC Tools / ccextractor conversion to DVD subtitles to be able to preserve the CCs from directly exported MPEG files (and put up with not being able to record the SDV channels until Cox OC finally makes the tuning resolvers available here)?
post #1181 of 2061 Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvineb15 View Post

Well I've read through most of the pages but if I missed my solution sorry, but this is driving me nuts.

I have a Motorola DCH3416 cable box through Charter. The tech installed the box on my Samsung HL61A750A tv using component cables. He must have set my tv picture to "Just Scan" so my HD channels automatically played on 16:9 format and my regular channels would automatically switch and fill the whole screen. Well I had to move my tv so I figured it'd be a good idea to switch to an HDMI cable. With that on, my HD channels still show up correctly but my regular channels had the black bars on both sides. I checked the picture options and made sure it was still set to "Just Scan", but I couldn't get rid of it. After reading this thread someone mentioned that some tv's can't get 480p signal through HDMI so I hooked it back up using the component cables. I still cannot get rid of the black frame on regular channels though. I noticed on the cable box it stays at 1080i and I'm assuming that's the issue. I can't figure out how to switch it on the box though. I tried hitting the format button on the front of the cable box but that didn't do any good. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I just have a feeling calling Charter would be a coin flip. Thanks!

Have you tried zoom on your tv? For SD channels I zoom and crop, maintaining the same aspect ratio, but I have to set the comcast 4:3 override to 480p.
post #1182 of 2061 Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvineb15 View Post

Well I've read through most of the pages but if I missed my solution sorry, but this is driving me nuts.

I have a Motorola DCH3416 cable box through Charter. The tech installed the box on my Samsung HL61A750A tv using component cables. He must have set my tv picture to "Just Scan" so my HD channels automatically played on 16:9 format and my regular channels would automatically switch and fill the whole screen. Well I had to move my tv so I figured it'd be a good idea to switch to an HDMI cable. With that on, my HD channels still show up correctly but my regular channels had the black bars on both sides. I checked the picture options and made sure it was still set to "Just Scan", but I couldn't get rid of it. After reading this thread someone mentioned that some tv's can't get 480p signal through HDMI so I hooked it back up using the component cables. I still cannot get rid of the black frame on regular channels though. I noticed on the cable box it stays at 1080i and I'm assuming that's the issue. I can't figure out how to switch it on the box though. I tried hitting the format button on the front of the cable box but that didn't do any good. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I just have a feeling calling Charter would be a coin flip. Thanks!

Have you tried zoom on your tv? For SD channels I zoom and crop, maintaining the same aspect ratio, but I have to set the comcast 4:3 override to 480p. My friends cablevision component box has a nice zoom feature, and you don't even have to shut off the box to use it.
post #1183 of 2061 Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just joined the forum for the 1st time here. Time Warner Cable customer (ex-Adelphia customer), and noticed this week on the Motorola DCH 6146 DVR (160gb), it seems like either memory was increased or the display showing the percentage of space used is screwed up. I know when I first got the DVR back in Feb. 2008, 1 hour of standard definition programming=3% space used and now it only seems to be showing that only 2% of space is actually being used. With HD recordings, 1 hour of HD recording=6% of space being used, and now 1 hour of HD recording=4% space used. Anyone else noticed this?

And the FOUL!
post #1184 of 2061 Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Just joined the forum for the 1st time here. Time Warner Cable customer (ex-Adelphia customer), and noticed this week on the Motorola DCH 6146 DVR (160gb), it seems like either memory was increased or the display showing the percentage of space used is screwed up. I know when I first got the DVR back in Feb. 2008, 1 hour of standard definition programming=3% space used and now it only seems to be showing that only 2% of space is actually being used. With HD recordings, 1 hour of HD recording=6% of space being used, and now 1 hour of HD recording=4% space used. Anyone else noticed this?

With a 160gb drive, expect around 100 hours of SD (1% per hour) and 20 hours of HD (5% per hour). HD rates vary considerably, though, depending on the type of programming (sports typically require the most storage space) and on the bitrates used (some cable providers use tighter compression to get more HD channels in the system).

User error. Replace user.
post #1185 of 2061 Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 PM

yup my Motorola box died all it says now is this station will be available soon! it does it on every station! BTW i have comcast service! does this happen often? anyway to fix it without bringing it back to get a new one? thanks

PSN I.D - Nas2344
Blurays - 102
PS3 Games - 25
post #1186 of 2061 Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you have another box you can try on that outlet? That message means it can't find the signal. Maybe the outlet went bad? Sure the tuner could of went, or maybe it pulled a bad update and lost all the frequency assignments. If you bypass the box does analog TV look pretty clear? If all else fails call in.
post #1187 of 2061 Old 11-22-2008, 12:20 PM

yeah everything is fine now! the box had been disabled! thanks for all the help!

PSN I.D - Nas2344
Blurays - 102
PS3 Games - 25
post #1188 of 2061 Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm trying to delete a program on my Motorola DCH 6416 and I get this message "UNABLE TO PROCESS, Cannot delete while file is in use. Close file and try again. . Code CIU." The thing is, I am not using any file. Anyways I'll try to reboot it and see what happens.

And the FOUL!
post #1189 of 2061 Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM

Hi,

Anyone else having an issue with a scheduled series program not recording? There are no scheduling or priority conflicts. I've had this happen with two different programs on two different networks one in HD and the other standard. My settings for both programs are new recordings only, and they are scheduled to start and end on time. There are no higher priority programs that overlap at these times either. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

Jack
post #1190 of 2061 Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Possibly they weren't flagged as new, first time showings. I have had that problem with a few shows, like the HD versions of Star Trek for one. Try setting for all recordings, and see what happens.
post #1191 of 2061 Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

I have the opposite problem. My dvr records True Blood like 7 times a week, and I only say to record new episodes and no repeats.
post #1192 of 2061 Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have that problem with The Daily Show. Every show in a new timeslot is counted as new. So, I set a time recording for it. Jack might want to try that, programming the timeslot, not the program.
post #1193 of 2061 Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Does anyone know why a Motorola DCH6416 has a tendency to show weak or no HD signal on most HD channels (15 of them) while the regular cable channels are fine? I have Charter Cable and this is the 2nd time I have had to call them for repair within 9 months (even though I have had other issues that have forced me to reset the box). The first time they replaced the outside cable. Everything was fine for three months. Now this.

:[
post #1194 of 2061 Old 11-25-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjack99 View Post

Hi,

Anyone else having an issue with a scheduled series program not recording? There are no scheduling or priority conflicts. I've had this happen with two different programs on two different networks one in HD and the other standard. My settings for both programs are new recordings only, and they are scheduled to start and end on time. There are no higher priority programs that overlap at these times either. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

Jack

Yes, I had "The Mentalist" not record last week. It is a series recording, it records every week, but did not record last week. I noticed it about 15 minutes into it. The DVR said it was recording, but it was not on my list of recordings. I had to stop the recording and start it back up before it actually started to record.
post #1195 of 2061 Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Possibly they weren't flagged as new, first time showings. I have had that problem with a few shows, like the HD versions of Star Trek for one. Try setting for all recordings, and see what happens.

I agree with this. I've had several problems with "New Only" (for brand new shows) so I've just tended to go with "New and Repeats" which has solved my recording problems. Somebody's not coding something correctly!
post #1196 of 2061 Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

OK, been having issues with my DVR so a tech comes out today and gives me a previously used Motorola DCT6412/2000. he plugged it in and it started a firmware update and he left (never waited around to see if it would work of course). Well, 20 minutes later, it finishes it's update and when it boots up there's video but no guide or menus of anykind. I can chan up and down through most of the channels (it stops at 100 and I have to manually enter a channel above that, then it will continue on higher channels).

I've already called several times to my cable company and they tried sending a reset. Well when it reset, it AGAIN downloaded firmware and came up just the same as before. channels display but no guides or menus of any kind. When I hit the menu or guide button, the indicator light flashes, so it's seeing the IR command, just not doing it.

Is there any sort of a way that the menus are just disabled? Is this something I could fix, or is the box just toast?

And then of course they tell me they can't get a tech back here until MONDAY (Can you imagine the nerve of these people?)

I appreciate any insight anyone might have. Thanks!
post #1197 of 2061 Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to me you are getting the jive turkey treatment. If possible, you should go to your nearest cable office, and swap for a new box.
post #1198 of 2061 Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Liked: 12
It's just udder ridiculos that you cant use an external hard drive on motorola dvr boxes like the 6416. I mean what do they have to loose if they where to enable the sata port?
post #1199 of 2061 Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjack99 View Post

Hi,

Jack

In the past week I've had series recordings get removed from both of my DVRs. We're talking about entirely different shows on different DVR models. All I know is that it happened around the same time. It was Monday or Tuesday of last week when I first noticed that series recordings were no longer in my priority list.

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #1200 of 2061 Old 11-26-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

It's just udder ridiculos that you cant use an external hard drive on motorola dvr boxes like the 6416. I mean what do they have to loose if they where to enable the sata port?

Figure that enabling it would invite more problems (the tech is not perfect), require more training ($), incur more customer dissatisfaction, etc. The customers who really care about mass storage are buying their own TiVos and MythTVs, anyway, so there aren't enough of those subscribers left to be able to garner enough extra revenues from enabling eSATA on Motorola DVRs to make doing so profitable.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page