Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 2061 Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got it. I actually came across another setting for Audio Output. Set to TV speakers. So, I put in on that and called it a day. Sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

What I'm saying is with my system and my ears, it sounds better on Matrix / light

I'm assuming you've tried Light Vs Heavy and noticed a difference and went when your preference - this is what I'm suggesting - try it on different settings

What I'm saying is I don't know how your Home theater / TV is going to process things, it might sound better to you on Stereo, It might sound better on Matrix / Heavy - the only way we'll find out is to try it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2061 Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM
AJ.

I'm in the Maryville, Il. Charter service area. I called Charter to upgrade to
the DCH 6416 from the DCH 6200 so I could record programs. I was told
Charter don't have the DCH 6416. Any idea whats going on. I'm well satisfied
with the reception from the DCH 6200, I just to be able to record.
Thanks for you service.
post #153 of 2061 Old 11-14-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post

I'm in the Maryville, Il. Charter service area. I called Charter to upgrade to
the DCH 6416 from the DCH 6200 so I could record programs. I was told
Charter don't have the DCH 6416. Any idea whats going on. I'm well satisfied
with the reception from the DCH 6200, I just to be able to record.
Thanks for you service.

Some Markets don't have DVR service yet, I know much of Coastal NC is that way, however you may have also gotten a CSR who doesn't know jack. Try again and just ask for DVR service - you should get a 6416 as we didn't launch any 12s (that I know of) and Moxi has become rare enough that most people have to ask for it

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #154 of 2061 Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM

I have a DCT3416 and was wondering if anyone knows if it supports discrete power commands from a Harmony remote? I was thinking of getting one, but was thinking how it turns itself on when it records, so if I tried to turn it on when it was already on, it would turn off. Discrete power codes would solve this.
post #155 of 2061 Old 11-16-2007, 04:04 AM

Liked: 11
I'm not sure I understand, but basically I have my Harmony remote set to never turn my DCT-3416 off. Is that what you're asking?
post #156 of 2061 Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post

I have a DCT3416 and was wondering if anyone knows if it supports discrete power commands from a Harmony remote? I was thinking of getting one, but was thinking how it turns itself on when it records, so if I tried to turn it on when it was already on, it would turn off. Discrete power codes would solve this.

If you are worried about your DVR being interrupted while recording.....don't worry....it will still record your show(s) without any issues. I have the Harmony 880 remote and have the same cable box as you. When I hit the "Watch TV" button, everything comes on for me (even if the cable box is on already recording - it will ask me if I want to continue recording and swap to the other tuner)

HTH

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #157 of 2061 Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM

No, I know it won't disrupt my recordings, as it always asked for confirmation before you change channels or turn the DVR off. I want to make sure that when the DVR is on after it records something, when I hit the activity to watch TV, that since the box was on, it doesn't turn it off. Discrete power commands send only the command you need, on, or off, instead of a toggle, so if the DVR is already on, the remote won't shut it off. I have a much cheaper remote that can be set up to turn everything on, but if something's already on, or already off, it gets everything all out of sync. I wanted to know if the Harmony has the discrete power codes for the 3416,
post #158 of 2061 Old 11-17-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post

No, I know it won't disrupt my recordings, as it always asked for confirmation before you change channels or turn the DVR off. I want to make sure that when the DVR is on after it records something, when I hit the activity to watch TV, that since the box was on, it doesn't turn it off. Discrete power commands send only the command you need, on, or off, instead of a toggle, so if the DVR is already on, the remote won't shut it off. I have a much cheaper remote that can be set up to turn everything on, but if something's already on, or already off, it gets everything all out of sync. I wanted to know if the Harmony has the discrete power codes for the 3416,

Yes, it does have the discrete codes. What we are saying here is that there is little reason to turn the 3416 off at all. I have my Harmony set up to disregard the power button on the Motorola. So, when I turn off the 'TV', the Harmony shuts the TV off, and the Denon receiver off, but leaves the DVR on.

Bobby 

post #159 of 2061 Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Yes, it does have the discrete codes. What we are saying here is that there is little reason to turn the 3416 off at all. I have my Harmony set up to disregard the power button on the Motorola. So, when I turn off the 'TV', the Harmony shuts the TV off, and the Denon receiver off, but leaves the DVR on.

Probably not a bad idea to leave the 3416 on since the hard drive runs continuously anyway. Or at least mine does.
post #160 of 2061 Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Moto DCT3416 series recording question
I am using this box with Charter in Stoughton, WI. The problem I am having is that when setting a series recording for an HD channel it invariably records the show on the SD channel.

For example channel 5 is the NBC SD channel and 738 is the NBC HD channel. If I set up the series recording for a show on channel 738 on Tue at 8:00 the box will record the correct show but on channel 5.

I am probably setting something wrong. Anyone has had a similar experience?

Posted this as a separate thread as well. Thanks.
post #161 of 2061 Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's a known TVG issue with Guide version A24.x (which all Charter and most other MSOs are on) - A25 is in testing but it's roll out depends on VOD side-applications - for example my market uses CCOR and the CCOR application for TVG A25 isn't fully tested and ready yet.

The bug essentually makes the box not record whenever the programming is duplicated on another channel (and the metadata uses the same program id) I've found setting the box to record the series on all channels will usually make it pick one if your completely missing the series and setting up manual recordings usually works as well.

It might not be as prevelant on another box, but it can happen on any DCT / DCH (Iguide) based DVR. So unless you swap over to a Moxi, you're probably going to see that issue.

I see. Time for Tivo. James, how is Charter lately about installing Cable cards?

Thanks.
post #162 of 2061 Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:

There's a known TVG issue with Guide version A24.x (which all Charter and most other MSOs are on) - A25 is in testing but it's roll out depends on VOD side-applications - for example my market uses CCOR and the CCOR application for TVG A25 isn't fully tested and ready yet.

The bug essentually makes the box not record whenever the programming is duplicated on another channel (and the metadata uses the same program id) I've found setting the box to record the series on all channels will usually make it pick one if your completely missing the series and setting up manual recordings usually works as well.

It might not be as prevelant on another box, but it can happen on any DCT / DCH (Iguide) based DVR. So unless you swap over to a Moxi, you're probably going to see that issue.

I have been having this same issue. My local (Kalamazoo, MI) Charter representative indicated that a new DVR would fix the problem. Intuitively, this sound incorrect. Assuming that I was to replace my existing DCH 6416 with the same model would that fix the HD recording issue?

Has there been any indication of when the new version of the I-Guide will be released and rolled out by Charter?

Thanks to CharterJames for all your valuable posts!
post #163 of 2061 Old 11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

My 6412 DVR with DVI is connected to DVI on my TV, and the resolution is set to 1080i, I used to change it to 720p occasionally, but have left it at 1080i for a while; now recently, the menu won't allow a change.

Also, when I sometimes move the DVR to an HDMI TV, using DVI-HDMI cable, the resolution is automatically changed to 720p, and again, it won't allow a change. I read that this can sometimes happen with DVI-HDMI cables, (handshaking issue), so I could try Component, and hope it sets it to 1080i, but still the resolution should be able to be changed as it used to be.

Does anyone else have this anomaly on their DVR?
If so, is Motorola working on a firmware fix for this?
post #164 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alric View Post

Moto DCT3416 series recording question
I am using this box with Charter in Stoughton, WI. The problem I am having is that when setting a series recording for an HD channel it invariably records the show on the SD channel.

For example channel 5 is the NBC SD channel and 738 is the NBC HD channel. If I set up the series recording for a show on channel 738 on Tue at 8:00 the box will record the correct show but on channel 5.

I am probably setting something wrong. Anyone has had a similar experience?

Posted this as a separate thread as well. Thanks.

It sounds like in the advanced options you've elected for it to record on any channels the program is on - if not then you're bitten by the A24 bug too -

With I-Guide A24.x the recording options are handled by program tags - apparently even if the show is on a different channel, it it's the same show it has the same tag - as such the box can frequently screw up and either not record at all or record the incorrect channel.

I have this issue in my market particularly with CBS - the local SD CBS doesn't like to record Series - we have another CBS (out of market) which will do series just fine, as well as an HD which does - but for some reason the local SD doesn't.

Workarounds -
Try telling it to record that program on "All channels" - this should get it to default to one of the channels

If you absolutely want one particular program from one particular channel - start manually telling it to record instead of series recordings - it's annoying, but so far in my case it works.

A25 resolves this problem and to answer other posts there's no set schedule for deployment - primarly because we also have to have matching VOD applications for A25. I know my market won't see this till at least Q1 of 2008 as our VOD application is taking longer than other vendors.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #165 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see. Time for Tivo. James, how is Charter lately about installing Cable cards?

Thanks.

Depends on the tech, the office and the Staff - if you were in my market I'd make sure you were taken care of (I've done several SIIIs) but it might take several calls and failures of other techs before they'd reached me.

If you go with TIVO here's my advice

1) When calling if the CSR gives you any flack about supporting TIVO just request a supervisor and let him know you're requesting 2 cable cards to be installed for your cable card device. (CSRs sometime tend to act like deer in headlights when confronted with things they don't understand... so frequently the less you tell them, the more likely you'll get what you need)

2) Have the TIVO connected and go ahead and do the initial programming for the zip code and channel guides (you'll have to redo these later, but it will make the cable install go better)

3) Do the CableCards 1 at a time - resist the urge to do them both at one time - trust me on this - this is where 90% of all techs fail.

process for install -

Insert Card - TIVO should go to cable card screen upon detection

Get the Card ID, Host ID and Data ID from the diagnostics screen

tech will need to call these in with the card for Validation -

someone in ops will send a cold init to the card (and hopefully put in the validation information correctly) - the TIVO usually gives an error (406 I think) which indicates it cannot reboot - this is normal. - after about 5 minutes you should be able to test the card and view your channels

repeat the process for the second card.

Cablecards are a mixed lot - we are required to support them - however at the same time, we are not required to support the equipment you buy to USE them. CableCards are made in different lots with different firmwares, some work better on some models than others. Most boxes should work on the newest cards without issue, but there are always exceptions.

Be prepared to get to know any cable card equipment you buy, you'll need to know how to troubleshoot it etc because all a tech can really do is insert cards, call in the information and check for signal problems.

If a cable card install doesn't work, request a tech hook up a box to verify that signal levels are good and you should be able to get a clear picture on your channels.

The good news is, generally once it's up and working, it stays that way!

post #166 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

My 6412 DVR with DVI is connected to DVI on my TV, and the resolution is set to 1080i, I used to change it to 720p occasionally, but have left it at 1080i for a while; now recently, the menu won't allow a change.

Also, when I sometimes move the DVR to an HDMI TV, using DVI-HDMI cable, the resolution is automatically changed to 720p, and again, it won't allow a change. I read that this can sometimes happen with DVI-HDMI cables, (handshaking issue), so I could try Component, and hope it sets it to 1080i, but still the resolution should be able to be changed as it used to be.

Does anyone else have this anomaly on their DVR?
If so, is Motorola working on a firmware fix for this?

Your changing the resolution on the box (power off, hit menu) correct?
Generally the only time a Moto box will change the resolution automatically is when the channel is set up in a different native resolution -

Example - I keep my box on 1080i - whenever I tune to SD, my TV will show the channel is in 480i - if I flip to most my HDs they will say 1080i unless I hit one of the ESPNs which are natively in 720p

post #167 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The "record in all channels" option does not fix the problem for me. Only the SD version is being recorded. I am glad to see Charter has improved its procedures for installing Cablecards. I called in for an appt and found no resistance. When the HD Tivo initially came out I was given stern responses about Charter not (illegally) supporting Tivo.

BTW, not you personally James but doesn't Charter management finds a bit embarrassing renting out to customers an HD DVR box that can not schedule HD recordings?

Thanks for your kind and helpful responses in this forum.
post #168 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The "record in all channels" option does not fix the problem for me. Only the SD version is being recorded. I am glad to see Charter has improved its procedures for installing Cablecards. I called in for an appt and found no resistance. When the HD Tivo initially came out I was given stern responses about Charter not (illegally) supporting Tivo.

BTW, not you personally James but doesn't Charter management finds a bit embarrassing renting out to customers an HD DVR box that can not schedule HD recordings?

Thanks for your kind and helpful responses in this forum.

In general I think most people in Tech Ops who are aware of the TV guide bugs are not too thrilled at the QA coming from TV Guide, it seems like every version since the intial launch of the I-Guide platform (compared to the previous "Blue" guide) has been riddled with bugs. The hardware is great, but I-guide is killing it. I'm not sure if it's reached critical embarrassment point - but I know there's a growing sentiment amoung tech ops management that these problems should never been seen outside of a test lab.

I do my best to help out

post #169 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your changing the resolution on the box (power off, hit menu) correct?
Generally the only time a Moto box will change the resolution automatically is when the channel is set up in a different native resolution -

Example - I keep my box on 1080i - whenever I tune to SD, my TV will show the channel is in 480i - if I flip to most my HDs they will say 1080i unless I hit one of the ESPNs which are natively in 720p

Right, I am talking about the box resolution. I am not talking about the channels' resolutions; the Moto boxes don't offer native output, anyway. It is either all 1080i or 720p, exept for the option of 4:3 Override, which I have set to 480i. The point is in the user settings, when the cursor is moved to the resolution line, pressing ok or moving the arrow to the right or left doesn't do anything anymore to allow for a change. Any ideas?
post #170 of 2061 Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any updates on eSATA functionality? A few specific questions:

- Does/will eSATA work only with the DCT6416, or does/will it also work for the 6412?

- What is the most recent "phase" and software version for the DCT6412, and how do I know if I have them?

- If I can get eSATA expansion enabled, will I still be able to record my DVR recordings to PC using firewire (capDVHS)?

- Any lists of eSATA drives compatible with the DCT64xx?
post #171 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Right, I am talking about the box resolution. I am not talking about the channels' resolutions; the Moto boxes don't offer native output, anyway. It is either all 1080i or 720p, exept for the option of 4:3 Override, which I have set to 480i. The point is in the user settings, when the cursor is moved to the resolution line, pressing ok or moving the arrow to the right or left doesn't do anything anymore to allow for a change. Any ideas?

If it's not allowing a change I'd say there's either an issue in the hardware or an issue in the firmware, I'll PM you with a trick to force a wipe and reload of the box.

EDIT
I tried PMing you - can't do that.
Email me at firstname.lastname@chartercom.com for instructions.

post #172 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

Any updates on eSATA functionality? A few specific questions:

- Does/will eSATA work only with the DCT6416, or does/will it also work for the 6412?

- What is the most recent "phase" and software version for the DCT6412, and how do I know if I have them?

- If I can get eSATA expansion enabled, will I still be able to record my DVR recordings to PC using firewire (capDVHS)?

- Any lists of eSATA drives compatible with the DCT64xx?

So far no update.
If the last firmware update was any indication all the DCH DVRs will run on the same firmware and all the DCT DVRs will run on it's own set of firmware, it's not likely they'll put on feature on one and not the other (As the 6416 and the 3416 are on both formats and the 6412 uses the same base firmware as the 6416)

eSATA should not affect Firewire. Phase is generally hardware - the latest and greatest for 64xx series would be the DCH 6416 (I don't think they've had to do a phase II of this one yet) Firmware wise, that depends on VOD vendor and Tv Guide version

As I have not heard of any system offering eSata I wouldn't know of any resources for "prefered" drives.

post #173 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 AM

Great information so far....I run my 3416 through my receiver with hdmi. When I go into fast forward, or come out of fast fast forward in a recording, I hear a popping noise from the surround sound speakers. A second issue is that sometimes when it comes out of fast forward, the center channel (or possibly all three front channels) are at a lower level.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? Any settings on the DVR or even the AVR that I should be looking at?

Thanks
post #174 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My DCT6412 doesn't have a SATA port, so I guess Cox Kansas has not rolled out the latest version yet. I see no point in pushing for an upgrade until SATA expansion is enabled. I've been happy with everything I've got except for the s..l..o..w menus and puny capacity.
post #175 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHT View Post

Great information so far....I run my 3416 through my receiver with hdmi. When I go into fast forward, or come out of fast fast forward in a recording, I hear a popping noise from the surround sound speakers. A second issue is that sometimes when it comes out of fast forward, the center channel (or possibly all three front channels) are at a lower level.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? Any settings on the DVR or even the AVR that I should be looking at?

Thanks

That may well be something with how the audio is being processed, I know I've had alot of audio pops like that using my old KLH receiver on optical here in the office, but I don't have that problem with my newer pioneer receiver on the same box - then again it could be the audio settings - try changing your compression rate and see if your receiver finds it easier to handle a different compression level

post #176 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:

...and Moxi has become rare enough that most people have to ask for it

First, thanks for sharing so much knowledge and help here, James. It's appreciated.

Regardig Moxi, I probably have missed seeing the info somewhere, but what is the future of Moxi and Charter? I'm in Southern IL about 60 miles east of St. Louis, and I've had my Moxi box for over two years now. After that software update some time ago, I like it! I don't want to lose it.

On another topic, is there any news on being able to schedule recordings remotely via the Web?
post #177 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx321 View Post

First, thanks for sharing so much knowledge and help here, James. It's appreciated.

Regardig Moxi, I probably have missed seeing the info somewhere, but what is the future of Moxi and Charter? I'm in Southern IL about 60 miles east of St. Louis, and I've had my Moxi box for over two years now. After that software update some time ago, I like it! I don't want to lose it.

On another topic, is there any news on being able to schedule recordings remotely via the Web?

Reguarding Moxi, while I have no official news, it's my option having worked for Charter for many years and seeing our past relationships with other member's of "Paul Allen's Wired World" that if and when Moxi launches a new MSO box, we'll probably be most likely to carry it... simply because when Mr. Allen tells Charter "Hey, this is a good box" they don't want to give him excuses on why we don't agree, after all we are His company too...

Reguardless of if I'm right or wrong, with the new OCAP mandates, Digeo's free to create any box they want and as support gets better and better on multistream two way cards and we start to get Java applications to allow for features like VOD (and SDV) on cableCARD equipment it will be a matter of taste. Personally I hope cableboxs are someday like phone equipment, sure you can buy a telephone from AT&T or Sprint... but you can also run down to Walmart and buy one that suits your wants, tastes and hopefully your budget.

For Charter customers, if you have a Moxi box and you have a Cable Modem (on the same account) you should be able to log into the www.charter.net portal with your email and hit the TV option - make sure to select digital for all channels availible.

If you don't have a Charter email and either don't have internet with us or have commercial internet services, all hope isn't lost - they are working on a solution sometime early 2008

post #178 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:

For Charter customers, if you have a Moxi box and you have a Cable Modem (on the same account) you should be able to log into the charter.net portal with your email and hit the TV option - make sure to select digital for all channels availible.

If you don't have a Charter email and either don't have internet with us or have commercial internet services, all hope isn't lost - they are working on a solution sometime early 2008

I have Charter cable, internet, and phone service. Did you mean I should be able to schedule recordings through the portal? I don't see any way to do it, but I could be missing it somewhere. When you say "select digital" do you mean under "Select Your Service" in Settings?
post #179 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx321 View Post

I have Charter cable, internet, and phone service. Did you mean I should be able to schedule recordings through the portal? I don't see any way to do it, but I could be missing it somewhere. When you say "select digital" do you mean under "Select Your Service" in Settings?

Yep - for example when I log in it shows Charter Communications - Lenoir but if I hit the drop down box I get same thing with a - Digital on the end - that should give you access to all your channels.

post #180 of 2061 Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yep - for example when I log in it shows Charter Communications - Lenoir but if I hit the drop down box I get same thing with a - Digital on the end - that should give you access to all your channels.

I see all the channels, but I don't see any option to schedule a recording on the TV listings screen. Where is that supposed to be?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page