Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 2061 Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motorola told me that that is a feature of the iGuide software. I'm contacting Rovi to see if it's in version 25 or 28? In general to learn how it works. I did not see it in the V25A documentation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2061 Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

This is usually one of two reasons that I have seen:
- the companion HD channels is not airing the same program (for example the SD channel is a West coast feed but the HD is East coast so there is a 3 hour difference)
- the companion HD channels is airing the same program but it is not HD, or at least not coded as being in HD

It could also be that the source ids were not matched or cleaned up properly. We had a few channels where the source id changed so they would match.

Do you have examples of when it doesn't work?

Hi CaptMorn2374,

Thanks for responding and trying to help...it's really nice when people recognize this is a community of not just take...but give as well.

I don't have an example currently, but I'll do some testing this weekend and let you know what I find.

The companion HD not being coded correctly sounds like a likely scenario for when it does not work.

I'm not too worried when it doesn't work, but I'm more concerned with my buffer issue I posted above.

Thanks!
post #1923 of 2061 Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry2716 View Post

Hi CaptMorn2374,

Thanks for responding and trying to help...it's really nice when people recognize this is a community of not just take...but give as well.

I don't have an example currently, but I'll do some testing this weekend and let you know what I find.

The companion HD not being coded correctly sounds like a likely scenario for when it does not work.

I'm not too worried when it doesn't work, but I'm more concerned with my buffer issue I posted above.

Thanks!

Sorry I thought the issue in question was with the Watch in HD feature. The way my posts are sorted your above is actually my below and I am directionally challenged To answer Paul I believe this is only available with A28.

I'll see what I can figure out with the buffer. At first it seemed to me it was a percentage of the hard drive. I had started some testing myself but never finished. I'll find those notes and follow up.
post #1924 of 2061 Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Well, I just got my new Charter cable installed Saturday (took nearly 6 hours, even though we had Charter about 3 years ago), with a 6416 DVR. I must say, I am very disappointed in Charter after leaving Dish with the cable setup. I'd still have Dish if they didn't keep losing channels, I was switching to Charter internet and phone, anyway, so went ahead and signed up for a new 2 year package with the works.

The guide setup sucks, I miss Dish's with the programmable favorite lists - is there a way to create those with Charter? I found the favorite channels, but all it does is scan through the ones I set up - I want to look at a list of only my favorite channels.

also, the 160 gb harddrive seems way too small. I recorded an HD football game, and it used up like 44% of the space. On my Dish VIP, I had like 10 games recorded, all in HD, plus room for other shows. Is this normal?

Thanks.
post #1925 of 2061 Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 PM

i've found the "favorites" to be a waste of time, like you describe.
As far as 1 game taking up 44%, that's not right. i'm guessing it didn't stop recording, so it recorded for the maximum amount of time allowed (like 1600 minute or something like that), that's why it's taking so much space.
Check to see how long the recording is.
post #1926 of 2061 Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM

My 6416 uses about 4% to 5.5% of space for every hour of recorded HD. Waaaayyyyy less in SD (who cares though).

Scotty
post #1927 of 2061 Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM

You can set up several favorites lists, name them, and then access the list by pressing guide first then fav. Each time you press fav it jumps to the next favorite list.

If you are not in the guide, fav will just change to the next channel in the default list.

We use this feature often especially when scheduling recordings as we don't use the series options very much.
post #1928 of 2061 Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM

There should be a favorites selection on the Quick Menu, and another on the Main Menu. It sounds like you're going into Setup and then Favorite Lists Setup. Then again, maybe the software is different for different cable providers?

I have the DCT 6412 and one hour of an HD recording takes up about 4% of the disc space.
post #1929 of 2061 Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Trivilino View Post

Then again, maybe the software is different for different cable providers?

Yes; I have a 3416 and a 6416 from CableVision in Mexico City, and neither offer ANY favorites lists except one main one.

Btw, what is the life span of these decoders? these Motorola models are 3 or 4 years old and they're still pushing them as "the latest technology" ????? wtf.

And those of you who complain that these boxes aren't as flexible or feature-rich as Dish equipment ....... you're absolutely correct. And why is that? does anyone know why cable companies cannot provide equipment that's as technologically-advanced as the SAT companies???
post #1930 of 2061 Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM

I, too, wonder the same thing. These cable boxes are not that new, but they're all that's available to us. The stores have a remarkably low selection of DVR's for sale. I think the company that makes them all is Scientific Atlanta. There must be a legal reason for all this.
post #1931 of 2061 Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 PM

I have the silver Comcast box with about 160 gig drive and I have two problems. (OK, actually there are a host of problems but for now...)

1. It is too loud. Now that I have a quiet home theater it is the loudest hum in the cabinet. I tried to put foam under the feet but the hum resonates in the cabinet and is really annoying.

2. I have a program that I can not erase. What's up with that?
post #1932 of 2061 Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Is the sound more of a whir than a hum? When the unit overheats, a fan comes on and makes a whirring noise. There's a metal grill, integral to the bottom panel, that covers the fan. I've had to cut that out (using tin snips) to increase air flow and reduce noise on units I've had in the past.

Foam under the feet?! I put small wooden blocks under the feet of mine to raise the unit about 3/4 inches. I hope you aren't blocking air flow with your foam. The purpose of the blocks is to increase air flow under and around the unit so it'll run cooler.

Do you have good air flow around the unit? There should be at least a small gap on all sides, top, and bottom. Is there an opening in the back of the cabinet to allow air flow? I even went so far as to install a small fan at one point, but that's no longer necessary for some reason. Does your unit feel warm to the touch on the top or bottom?

Call the cable company and have them remotely reset your unit. If you can't delete the recording after that, and you can't rid of the whirring noise, exchange the unit.
post #1933 of 2061 Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike734 View Post

2. I have a program that I can not erase. What's up with that?

This may be a file system corruption issue. If so, you may have to reset the hard drive to correct the problem. You can do this, but it will erase all the recorded programs.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ola_DVR/Resets
post #1934 of 2061 Old 11-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Trivilino View Post

Is the sound more of a whir than a hum? When the unit overheats, a fan comes on and makes a whirring noise. There's a metal grill, integral to the bottom panel, that covers the fan. I've had to cut that out (using tin snips) to increase air flow and reduce noise on units I've had in the past.

Foam under the feet?! I put small wooden blocks under the feet of mine to raise the unit about 3/4 inches. I hope you aren't blocking air flow with your foam. The purpose of the blocks is to increase air flow under and around the unit so it'll run cooler.

Do you have good air flow around the unit? There should be at least a small gap on all sides, top, and bottom. Is there an opening in the back of the cabinet to allow air flow? I even went so far as to install a small fan at one point, but that's no longer necessary for some reason. Does your unit feel warm to the touch on the top or bottom?

Call the cable company and have them remotely reset your unit. If you can't delete the recording after that, and you can't rid of the whirring noise, exchange the unit.

Only foam under the feet to isolate the vibration. The ventilation is unobstructed. It is in a cabinet with a vent fan that draws in cool air and exhausts it out the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

This may be a file system corruption issue. If so, you may have to reset the hard drive to correct the problem. You can do this, but it will erase all the recorded programs.

I don't want to lose the recorded programs for now so I'll pass on that solution. After I have seen all the programs I'm going to trade in the box for a black one with the bigger hard drive. I hope they are quieter.
post #1935 of 2061 Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I get this sometimes, and just unplugging the box for a minute and resetting that way will let me delete it when the dvr service reloads. I've found that the recording is gone but still listed for some reason as the percentage full does not go down when I do delete the "phantom" recording.
post #1936 of 2061 Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey all, I've been toying with the DCH3416 trying to get error-free .ts files using CapDVHS. I've found that I need to first record the program to the DVR (so that I can have more than once crack at recording it via firewire in case there are errors). I then need to set both turners to SD channels and make sure that nothing is scheduled to record during the time that I'm dumping the program via firewire.

But anyways, I've done quite a bit of testing and have settled on doing the following before dumping via firewire:
1. Make sure nothing is recording at all during the time that I'll be dumping via firewire.
2. Turn to channel 002 (b/c it's a SD channel, so I assume it's less taxing on the cable box).
3. Switch tuners (using the remote's PiP Swap button) and change that channel to 004 (again, b/c it's a SD channel)
4. Turn off the cable box for 30 seconds (this may be unneeded, but I'm a bit paranoid by all the issues I've had. I don't have solid evidence that this helps)
5. Turn the cable box back on and play back the DVR recording that I want to dump via firewire.
6. Record with CapDVHS

I've had very good results when I follow these instructions (I have the DCH3416).
post #1937 of 2061 Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 PM

Liked: 16
Twice now my 3416 has awoken to do a scheduled program but has not recorded the program.If I turn it off and then on again manually, it starts recording. Shoul I replace it?
post #1938 of 2061 Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Stuff like this has happened to me in the past. Never could figure out if it was a software issue (the TV guide information being downloaded from the server incorrectly) or a hardware issue. I would call and have them do a hard reset. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest you swap out the unit for a another one.
post #1939 of 2061 Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Ok I have the 3400 and my issue is that when I have a series recording set to record shows in HD they get recorded on the SD channel. This only happens from what I have noticed so far with shows that air on Fox and Showtime. I have noticed (let's saying I'm wanting to record House in HD) that when I hit info it says nothing about it being in HD while let's say I hit info on Two and a Half Men and it says it's in HD. Even though House is in HD it just get's recorded on the SD channel every time even though I have the series recording set up on the HD channel.
post #1940 of 2061 Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksondco View Post

Ok I have the 3400 and my issue is that when I have a series recording set to record shows in HD they get recorded on the SD channel. This only happens from what I have noticed so far with shows that air on Fox and Showtime. I have noticed (let's saying I'm wanting to record House in HD) that when I hit info it says nothing about it being in HD while let's say I hit info on Two and a Half Men and it says it's in HD. Even though House is in HD it just get's recorded on the SD channel every time even though I have the series recording set up on the HD channel.

There used to be a problem (maybe still is) that when an SD and HD version of the same channel had the same name, i.e. both the HD and SD version of Showtime were listed in the guide as SHO, for example, the box would get confused and record the episode on the wrong channel. Most cable companies now use different names for each channel, such as SHO and SHOHD. If your guide listing shows the same names for different channels, you should contact your local cable company and report the problem.
post #1941 of 2061 Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. It happened when the new shows came out for the season. The problem eventually got resolved after I reported it to the cable company. I don't know if it was the same-name issue mentioned by crossbeaux. The cable company said they thought it might be a bug in the TV Guide software.

Since you're reporting a recurrence, it would seem more likely that it's the same-name issue. Let us know, because I'm interested in understanding why this occurs.
post #1942 of 2061 Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey all, just an update on what I posted earlier about recording via firewire:

I have found no way to guarantee an error-free firewire recording. It appears that only Motorola can fix this via a firmware update. But, I am convinced that the liklihood of getting less/possibly no errors is increased by following my earlier directions.

I have also found that, even when errors persist, as long as I record each program twice, the errors are almost certainly not happening in the exact same place on both recordings (unless of course the error was part of the broadcast). So I can use VideoReDo to do a little cutting and splicing and end up with a perfect video. Obviously this takes some effort and I would only do so for recordings that I really want to keep.

BTW, no, you needn't watch each recording like a hawk to determine if any errors are occuring. When you use VideoReDo to cut out ads (or if you use its QuickStream Fix option), it tells you about any "Input Sequence Errors" or "Video Resync Frames Removed" or "Audio Resync Frames Removed", etc. When I see those messages, I typically have VideoReDo chop that same file in half and see if all the same errors persist. That allows me to narrow in on where the errors truly are. Once you have a pretty good idea of where the error(s) are, you can usually see the error(s) in VideoReDo's preview window. I'll then look for a good place to cut the video just before the error occurs. I'll load up the second recording in VideoRedo and grab the same part that is corrupted in the first recording (hopefully it is error-free in the second recording). VideoReDo's "Add to Joiner List" capability can then be used to create an error-free recording.

If anybody has any other methods for fixing stuff, I'd love to hear them.
post #1943 of 2061 Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Unfortunately, no U.S. provider allows external drive expansion on Motorola DVRs, including those that use the 16.74 firmware.

I didn't see this addressed yet but I'm using an external drive on my 6416 from Charter right now. It's not "officially" supported but if you plug one in, it'll detect it and offer to format it.
post #1944 of 2061 Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Huh, so I would guess charter turned that option on...What firmware version are you on? And what external drive are you using?
post #1945 of 2061 Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question or if it has been answered in a previous post.

I see that the 6416 has analog recording capability while the 3416 is digital only.
What can the analog recording feature be used for.

Also, aside from the size and appearance of the box, is the 6416 an upgrade model to the 3416? What features does the 6416 have that the 3416 does not.

Thanks in advance for the info?
post #1946 of 2061 Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I'm no expert but the 6416 is designed to be used on cable systems that have both analog and digital signals. Once analog goes away completely, it really won't offer anything over the 3416.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #1947 of 2061 Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 PM

The 6416 has dvi-d out and the 3416 has hdmi out.
post #1948 of 2061 Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

The 6416 has HDMI out. http://www.motorola.com/Video-Soluti.../DCH6416_US-EN

post #1949 of 2061 Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 AM

DCH6416 has hdmi out, DCT6416 has dvi-d out. Not sure which one was referenced earlier, I went to the earlier model.
post #1950 of 2061 Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

DCT6416 has HDMI out too. http://www.broadstripe.com/pdf/UserG...er%20Guide.pdf

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page