Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread" - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 2061 Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post

I've been running a DCT 6412 Phase I/II on RCN with Passport Echo guide for a few years now with no problems whatsoever, but it started acting strange last night. The first thing I noticed was that after hitting the DVR button, it took probably 10 seconds for the DVR menu to pop up. When attempting to watch a recorded program, the screen would become pixellated and then freeze up entirely, taking 10-20 seconds to respond to the remote. This happens on every recorded program I try to watch now. And when channel surfing, the screen often freezes up for a few seconds when switching between channels, and this is totally different than the normal delays with this box. I've tried rebooting the box, but it doesn't seem to help at all.

While I have no idea what's really wrong with it, if I had to guess, I'd say that the hard drive is either corrupted or is failing. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it something that can be fixed, or should I just try to get a new box?

Well, your my first instance I've heard of a 6416 running on Passport, usually Passport is used with SA boxes - though with the nature of DCH / Host boxes I suspect this will become more and more common -

The behavoir your describing sounds like some sort of corruption on the boxe's firmware - if rebooting didn't help you might want to try having your local MSO cold init the box - that should wipe all firmware and reload everything

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 2061 Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Member
 
mrmaico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions on getting the 30 second skip to work on my DCH6416. I have a leased box through Midcontinent Communications in North Dakota. I couldn't find a URC-4220 so I picked up a URC-6131n today ($20 at BB) but all I can get to work is the skip back function. Actually on the remote I have to use a button that looks like a rewind symbol to get it to skip back ( l<< ). The actual skip back button on the remote doesn't do anything. I tried to "re-assign" a key with the 173 and 0173 codes but didn't have any luck. Any suggestions, or am I SOL and my cable company has it disabled in their boxes? Has anyone else ran into this problem, where nothing you tried would work?

I also bought one of the silver Comcast remotes with the 5 buttons on the bottom referenced in post 95 off Ebay yesterday and am still hoping I can program in the 173 code into that one and get it to work when it arrives. I had the 30 second skip forward in my Dishnetwork DVRs and sure miss it.

Thanks.....Barry

EDIT: I just noticed when I hit the button to skip back 30 sec. I see an icon flash brightly on the receiver panel but when I push the opposite button that I would assume would be my skip forward I see the same flash on the rec. panel but it's not very bright. I'm thinking this is probably not a good sign?

SUCCESS!!! I received the silver Comcast remote today and it works! Finally I have my 30 second skip back. At first I thought it wasn't going to work until I realized I was typing in 0173 rather than 00173. Sure glad I kept trying it a few times till I realized my error.

Thanks to James and everyone who posts here.

Barry
mrmaico is offline  
post #213 of 2061 Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Newbie
 
buzz64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't read every response, so I apologize if this has already been suggested, but I went to ebay and bought the Comcast remote (for under $10) for the Moto and used the setup button to program the 30 sec skip. I use this remote exclusively even though I have Charter. Works great and I actually prefer this remote to the larger one the Moto came with. Hope this helps those of you Charter users frustrated with the lack of a 30 sec skip on your remote. Works perfect!
buzz64 is offline  
post #214 of 2061 Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
Markwp2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Beach, MS
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the great information in this thread. I have just received a 6416, I'm with CableOne, Mississippi Gulf Coast region. My question is this; can any of the ports on the 6416 - usb, sata, firewire, etc. - be used to either add additional hard drive storage or to connect to a PC or home network? Reading through the thread, it appears that they cannot, but at least one mention of the firewire port suggested that it can be used in some way.

Thanks,
Mark
Markwp2001 is offline  
post #215 of 2061 Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwp2001 View Post

Thanks for all the great information in this thread. I have just received a 6416, I'm with CableOne, Mississippi Gulf Coast region. My question is this; can any of the ports on the 6416 - usb, sata, firewire, etc. - be used to either add additional hard drive storage or to connect to a PC or home network? Reading through the thread, it appears that they cannot, but at least one mention of the firewire port suggested that it can be used in some way.

Thanks,
Mark

So far no external - Firewire can be used for Digital Video (but with no guide overlay) USBs are powered, but they aren't actively configured to run any devices (good for powering fans, lights etc)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
post #216 of 2061 Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Newbie
 
Markwp2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Beach, MS
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

So far no external - Firewire can be used for Digital Video (but with no guide overlay) USBs are powered, but they aren't actively configured to run any devices (good for powering fans, lights etc)

Could you explain what you mean by "firewire can be used for digital video"?

Thanks,
Mark
Markwp2001 is offline  
post #217 of 2061 Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwp2001 View Post

Could you explain what you mean by "firewire can be used for digital video"?

If you have a D-VHS VCR, you can copy digital/HD content from the DVR to the VCR via firewire.

It is pure and bitwise identical to the original content that was recorded on the DVR... but does not contain any DVR-produced graphics or onscreen Guide info, etc. Just the pure content.

All content available recordable on your DVR, be it OTA-HD or cable-HD or premium-HD, can be copied to D-VHS tape this way. You won't be able to make a second generation copy of that D-VHS tape recording (to a second D-VHS tape) if the content specifies "copy once" as it will with premium-HD programming.

You will NOT be able to make a D-VHS copy of "copy never" content, such as pay-per-view. But then you can't even record pay-per-view to your DVR.

So you can make at least one generation of D-VHS copy of EVERY program you can record to your DVR. And of course, as long as you don't delete the original DVR recording you can really make an infinite number of those first generation copies from DVR to D-VHS tape.

All via firewire.
DSperber is offline  
post #218 of 2061 Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Newbie
 
Markwp2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Beach, MS
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the explanation.
Markwp2001 is offline  
post #219 of 2061 Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
machpost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Well, your my first instance I've heard of a 6416 running on Passport, usually Passport is used with SA boxes - though with the nature of DCH / Host boxes I suspect this will become more and more common -

The behavoir your describing sounds like some sort of corruption on the boxe's firmware - if rebooting didn't help you might want to try having your local MSO cold init the box - that should wipe all firmware and reload everything

RCN replaced the iGuide with Passport Echo about a year ago. There were some serious issues in the first few months with VOD not functioning properly, and frequent audio dropouts, but a firmware upgrade or two has stabilized things. It's a night and day improvement over iGuide. I know that Comcast is still running iGuide, but I think I've heard of at least one other large operator that has rolled out Passport (TW, maybe?)

I've called in to have the box replaced. The problem has worsened, and if I put my ear up to the box when it's in the middle of pixellating and freezing up, I hear the familiar click-click-click sound of a hard drive that is failing. I'm not sure if it worked this way with iGuide, but with the Passport Echo software, the hard drive seems to record constantly, even when the box is switched "off." That's a lot of wear and tear on a hard drive that has been in service for 2-3 years.

Plus, this box is so old that it has a DVI port instead of HDMI, and it's inactive, at that. It will be nice to see if HDMI provides a clearer picture than component on my 42" Panasonic.
machpost is offline  
post #220 of 2061 Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Newbie
 
CraigT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I previously have had five 6412's that had to be returned due to occasional freezing and video breakup during movies(all I watch). These are all SD, not HD. All of the DVR's developed problems after being used for awhile(deletions and new recordings). This last time(several months ago) they gave me a DCH 3416 and it has been far better but it is showing the same symptoms and appears like it's getting worse. Several techs have checked the lines(at my cost!) but only for signal level, not SNR. The lines were OK supposedly and they probably are since I tried a TIVO HD with cable cards for almost a month with no problems and signals levels were showing as in the 90's on it. I did run new RG6 cable to see if it would help- it didn't. Any ideas on what the issue might be or if this is common for the Motorola DVR's? Frankly I didn't care for the TIVO HD(too slow and disruptive when trying to simply manually set up recordings) but I sure get tired of watching over an hour or two of a movie and have to delete it before it ends due to the problems. Thanks.

Craig
CraigT1 is offline  
post #221 of 2061 Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Newbie
 
tbrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently changed from a MOXI to a 3416 and I am having trouble with something the MOXI handled perfectly. I am trying to do a series record with a show whose initial airing has a conflict with two other series that air at the same time. The new series has multiple airings throughout the week, is there a way to set up a series recording so that the show is recorded at a time when there is no conflict?

Thanks in advance.
tbrac is offline  
post #222 of 2061 Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just be sure that the program that has the multiple airings throughout the week is the lowest priority of the three. From there: It may not look like it, but it will work. What happens is that this third program will show up as a conflict in the guide, i.e., with a red circle with a slash through it, instead of as a red dot, like the other two programs. Then, once the time-slot during which the conflict existed passes, the 3416 will find the subsequent airings of the third program, and schedule the next one.
bicker1 is offline  
post #223 of 2061 Old 12-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Dalelutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narvon, PA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question which will probably show my ignorance.
I have a sony dvr that has a 500g hard drive that is failing. Most dvr's do not have that much space some less than half. I will need to replace it. From reading here it appears that the advertised external hd capability of the dct3400 is not yet available. correct?
However I do want many of the features that this dvr has.
Is it possible to buy these units or must I get them through my cable provider.
If they do not offer it what options do I have.

It is currently saturday evening 5:00pm and the company's offices are closed.

thanks for the help.
Dalelutz is offline  
post #224 of 2061 Old 12-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
danno321s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE WI USA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother just got Charter HD Cable in Oconomowoc, WI with the DCH3416 box. We found some problem cabling in his home so I am wondering if it is normal for the 3416 to take a long time (over an hour) to update its channel guide after being powered off. This is very irritating.

Also, is the eSATA port usable yet?

Dan (TWC Milw, WI; SA8300HD/Passport)
danno321s is offline  
post #225 of 2061 Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It takes about three days for the program guide in my DCT-3416 to fully repopulate here.

None of the MSOs enable eSATA at this time, I believe.
bicker1 is offline  
post #226 of 2061 Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
danno321s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE WI USA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother's DCH3416 on Charter search function does not work well. For example, I searched for NFL games and it only listed the SD Green Bay Packer game, not the HD broadcast and no other games for Sunday. Why is this?

TIA,
Danno
danno321s is offline  
post #227 of 2061 Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Member
 
danno321s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE WI USA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

It takes about three days for the program guide in my DCT-3416 to fully repopulate here.

None of the MSOs enable eSATA at this time, I believe.

3 days! OMG! That is ridiculous.
danno321s is offline  
post #228 of 2061 Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not really. The next few hours typically fills in within an hour or so, and the rest of the day's programming gets broadcast every few hours. Then two weeks worth of programming gets broadcast once every day or two, and sometimes it doesn't fill in completely the first time. So about three days.

You could get a TiVo. With TiVo, you control when you get program guide information, and can therefore get it on-demand. However, note that my TiVo typically only has two weeks worth of data, while I sometimes get up to as much as three weeks on my 3416.
bicker1 is offline  
post #229 of 2061 Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrac View Post

I recently changed from a MOXI to a 3416 and I am having trouble with something the MOXI handled perfectly. I am trying to do a series record with a show whose initial airing has a conflict with two other series that air at the same time. The new series has multiple airings throughout the week, is there a way to set up a series recording so that the show is recorded at a time when there is no conflict?

Thanks in advance.

Not so much the 34/64 series as much as the I-guide software - there's bugs in A24 (the predominant version out there) that tends to have issues with duplicates on multiple channels - generally if a series appears and your priorities are set up well on the box you should get them without conflict when a repeat is aired - however you can often get around that by telling it to record on all channels and allow repeats - you'll probably get way too many copies- but you should miss anything - once A25 is out and common this shouldn't be an issue

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
post #230 of 2061 Old 12-10-2007, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalelutz View Post

I have a question which will probably show my ignorance.
I have a sony dvr that has a 500g hard drive that is failing. Most dvr's do not have that much space some less than half. I will need to replace it. From reading here it appears that the advertised external hd capability of the dct3400 is not yet available. correct?
However I do want many of the features that this dvr has.
Is it possible to buy these units or must I get them through my cable provider.
If they do not offer it what options do I have.

It is currently saturday evening 5:00pm and the company's offices are closed.

thanks for the help.


Generally a cablebox - DVR combo will only come from a cable company, unless you've got a TIVO SII / TIVO HD there's also the eventually to be released Cablecard based Moxi box

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
post #231 of 2061 Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

My brother just got Charter HD Cable in Oconomowoc, WI with the DCH3416 box. We found some problem cabling in his home so I am wondering if it is normal for the 3416 to take a long time (over an hour) to update its channel guide after being powered off. This is very irritating.

Also, is the eSATA port usable yet?

Dan (TWC Milw, WI; SA8300HD/Passport)


basic guide data (channel information, VOD, icons) should be loaded in 10 to 15 minutes - guide data for the first 6 hours within about 20... after that the rest fills in depending on how well the cacheing servers pick up and how detailed the schedule is (more small programs on a channel fill in slower than channels that are mostly movies etc) Generally two to three hours should give you 5 to 6 days or more of data, but it can take a little longer for the longer stuff...

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
post #232 of 2061 Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
danno321s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE WI USA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My bro has the 6416 that I posted about a few days ago (Charter). Thanks for the replies. But now a strange issue. Sometimes when he presses the INFO button the pop up box will state "no information is available". But then if he presses GUIDE, the GUIDE will show the channel information. Does this indicate a bad box that should be exchanged?

TIA,
Danno
danno321s is offline  
post #233 of 2061 Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Member
 
DCT6416UIIIuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boy did I hit a gold mine when I found this fourm. As you can tell by my screen name I have a DCT6414III with a Sony LCoS rear projection 16:9 HDTV. Had the STB for 8 days now. First two days were Moxis, but one would not get VOD nor the HD channels and the second one would not work at all.

So far I had contacted Motorola and Charter many times to get questions answered, but most were either not answered or kind of vague.

So far here my questions that have got answered are:

The unit does not do PIP, even though it is advertised as such

Channels cannot be skipped like in a Moxi, which I had two of and would not work correctly, so I got hooked up with the 6416 which is what I wanted anyway to get the HDMI connection. We allegedly have a long waiting list for this unit.

A 30 second skip can be programmed if I get the right remote.

Several other confirmations also, as I read every post on this thread before posting.

My first three questions are:

I deleted all the old recordings that were on the STB as received and it shows zero percent used. As soon as I record even just a 1/2 hour progrm it shows 49% used and a second 1/2 hour program will raise it to about 52%.
What is taking up that 49% of initial space or is something wrong? Was told to power cycle it by Tech Support, but I had done power cycle for other reasons and knew that it would not cure it, and it did not.

Secondly there has been talk on here about analog channels, digital channels and HD channels. I think I can tell an HD channel, but how do I tell if a non-HD channel is analog or digital coming to the box? Is that what it is in reference to (signal coming to the box)?

Thirdly, I locked out all channels to remove the adult show descriptions (so when my grandkids are flipping channels, we don't have to go through that). However if I get up into the higher channels by using the up or down channel buttons , I get locked in lock up land, in that I cannot hit return as the return channel is also locked out. I cannot enter a low channel number to get out, as it wants me to enter a pin number and treats it as one.

So the only way I have found to get out is to hold up or down the channel select button until I get to an unlocked chanel and then I can enter a desired channel number.

This is dumb, and would be prevented by channel skip like is available on the Moxi or my TV.

Is there a better way?



I have some more question, but will see how we do on these. Thanks in advance.
DCT6416UIIIuser is offline  
post #234 of 2061 Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
maveric23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please explain the differences in the compression settings? What does it do?

I just don't understand why one would want any compression at all.

I currently have my compression set to "None" and everything seems fine.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

It's in the Main Menu inside the guide
Setup - Audio Setup

Default Audio Track
Optimal Stereo
Audio Output

Using Optical I generally set Audio Output to "Advanced" once you have it on there you'll have two more options

Compression
Stereo Output

From there you can set up your compression rate (None, Light, Heavy) and output (Mono, Stereo, Matrix)

maveric23 is offline  
post #235 of 2061 Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Member
 
contrast11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done some searching and can't find a clear answer. I have a 6412 III set through Insight, and have ordered my first HDTV - Samsung 5884 plasma (1080p native). Obviously, I'd like to maximize picture quality, therefore my question involves output settings. Being that there exists channels in both 1080i and 720p, is it better to set the STB to 1080i or 720p? I guess this asks if it's better to convert a 720p signal to 1080i by the STB or vice versa.

Question number 2: for SD override, should I set it to 'off' to allow the STB to convert to 1080i/720p, or set it to 480i and allow my Plasma to handle the conversion duties?

I'm sure this topic has been tackled before, but I couldn't locate it. Thank you for your help.
contrast11 is offline  
post #236 of 2061 Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Member
 
mrmaico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

My bro has the 6416 that I posted about a few days ago (Charter). Thanks for the replies. But now a strange issue. Sometimes when he presses the INFO button the pop up box will state "no information is available". But then if he presses GUIDE, the GUIDE will show the channel information. Does this indicate a bad box that should be exchanged?

TIA,
Danno

Mine is the same way, once in a while the info will be there but usually it's not. If I bring up the mini guide across the bottom of the screen by pressing ok/select and then hit info then the program info will be there. That's a little quicker/easier than going into the full guide.
mrmaico is offline  
post #237 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Without at least Light Compression, my wife is unable to hear the dialog on most channels.
bicker1 is offline  
post #238 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

My bro has the 6416 that I posted about a few days ago (Charter). Thanks for the replies. But now a strange issue. Sometimes when he presses the INFO button the pop up box will state "no information is available". But then if he presses GUIDE, the GUIDE will show the channel information. Does this indicate a bad box that should be exchanged?

TIA,
Danno

Here's what I would try in this order:

1) Possible guide data / firmware load issue
You can usually resolve this by powercycling the box

2) Possible Remote issue (bad commands being sent)
Clean the LCD on the front of the box and the IR panel on the remote - try again if that doesn't work try a different remote (most motorola DCT/DCH remotes should work on all moto boxes except the Moxi) You can also try the remote on the problem box on another box.

3) if the problem isn't resolve at that point, I'd lean towards a box issue.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
post #239 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

I deleted all the old recordings that were on the STB as received and it shows zero percent used. As soon as I record even just a 1/2 hour progrm it shows 49% used and a second 1/2 hour program will raise it to about 52%.
What is taking up that 49% of initial space or is something wrong? Was told to power cycle it by Tech Support, but I had done power cycle for other reasons and knew that it would not cure it, and it did not.

That is very odd, generally when I've seen incorrect percentages it will report 100% is used - generally An hour of Analog is about 2%, Digital is 1% and HD is 4%.. Does this happen every time you record something on a "cleared" hard drive or just certain channels / shows?

Sounds like there might be a hardware issue with the drive in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Secondly there has been talk on here about analog channels, digital channels and HD channels. I think I can tell an HD channel, but how do I tell if a non-HD channel is analog or digital coming to the box? Is that what it is in reference to (signal coming to the box)?

Generally Analog is all channels under 99 - though I know know based from my own market that channels between 80 and 99 are now Digital - Generally if you look at a channel lineup or listing (online or paper) these will be listed as Basic and Expanded Basic

Digital (Standard Definition) channels are usually 100 and up excluding HDs - these require a converter box or digital tuner. Most Digitals are in packages / tiers - the general exception are the Music Choice and any Digitals that are local re-transmissions (we have some Digital PBS networks here) - Those tend to be "Clear QAM" - unencrypted channels anyone with a digital tuner and pick up.

HD channels require some form of HD tuner - either an HD tv with a Digital Tuner (which will pick up local HDs in addition to the digitals and Music Choices) or a Box - Most markets will have the locals, a few HD Movie channels (Starz!, Showtime, HBO and Cinemax) as well as a variety of premium HDs in a tier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Thirdly, I locked out all channels to remove the adult show descriptions (so when my grandkids are flipping channels, we don't have to go through that). However if I get up into the higher channels by using the up or down channel buttons , I get locked in lock up land, in that I cannot hit return as the return channel is also locked out. I cannot enter a low channel number to get out, as it wants me to enter a pin number and treats it as one.

So the only way I have found to get out is to hold up or down the channel select button until I get to an unlocked chanel and then I can enter a desired channel number.

Channel Surfing with locks is very difficult - generally on a non-moxi people are encouraged to use the Guide and surf the descriptions rather than using channel up - the advantage here is being able to use page up and page down to view programming on several channels at a time as well as being able to see what's comeing up (rather than catching the end of a favorite movie etc and waiting to see what's next)

The alternative would be to go into the guide menu and set up a Favorites list of the channels you prefer to hit (of which I'm guessing are not likely to have alot of locked content) By pressing the FAV key you'll jump from Favorite to Favorite skipping all the other channels.

When the Kids are not around or asleep you can bypass the locks temporarly by going into the locks setup and hitting the master lock - this will give you 4 to 6 hours of unlocked viewing (you can manually re-enable the master lock if say your going to bed during this window and you don't want to risk any of the kids waking up and trying the remote)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
post #240 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
CharterJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrast11 View Post

I've done some searching and can't find a clear answer. I have a 6412 III set through Insight, and have ordered my first HDTV - Samsung 5884 plasma (1080p native). Obviously, I'd like to maximize picture quality, therefore my question involves output settings. Being that there exists channels in both 1080i and 720p, is it better to set the STB to 1080i or 720p? I guess this asks if it's better to convert a 720p signal to 1080i by the STB or vice versa.

Question number 2: for SD override, should I set it to 'off' to allow the STB to convert to 1080i/720p, or set it to 480i and allow my Plasma to handle the conversion duties?

I'm sure this topic has been tackled before, but I couldn't locate it. Thank you for your help.

Ultimately this will depend on how your TV works with the box - for example I figured a Progressive picture would be sharper than an Interlaced, so I kept my box on 720p - However my wife complained that the HDs were fuzzy - 1080i resolved this - on a customer TV I noticed the opposite - His TV was fuzzy on 1080i, clear as a bell on 720p

I recommend trying out both and seeing which one looks sharper to you - to really "dial it in" try different settings on your TV (color depth, warmth etc) compare it with your friends and family and get an idea what looks sharper overall.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
CharterJames is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off