Have not figured out the quote and respond cut/paste yet on this forum, but found several things today:
1. Cured my HD capacity notice so far by doing a HDD reset. Capacity went to zero like always , but when I start a recording it shows 1%, instead of restarting at 49% like it was. Was in the diagnostic screen before this and it was showing about 1/2 of the HDD occupied also.
So far I am recording (as I type) two HD shows for about 25 minutes and have used up abot 4%. While I was typing this I went and cancelled and deleted one of the 1/2 hours of recording and the capacity went from 4% down to 2%, so it sure appears as though the HDD reset did the job.
2. Re: Analog, digital and HD designators.
2a. Still not sure, but on the lower channels the banner displays program rating on the banner and that is it. I do not have my surround system set up yet,but are these in stero/surround 4.1 or what? Cannot tell with just my TV speakers. However there is no indication of stero/surround. Is there a setting in settings or set up that could be changed?
2b. On what appear to be digital channels it shows program rating, then the the Dolby logo wtih the forward and backware D and then the letter "D" apparently for digital??. AFAIK
, we only have two digital channels that I subscribe to.
2c. The HD channels show the rating, then the letters "HD" then Dolby logo front and backward Ds and then finally "5.1"
I also noticed that on one of the HD channels of a local station during a newcast the "HD" was not shown, even those I was on a designated HD channel. Apparently they were not broadcasting in HD digital, but apparently were still digital in 5.1 surround.
3. Re: No channel lock out, yes, I have already set up two favorite categories. HD and non HD. However if I press the "FAV" on the remote it always defaults to the HD favorite. Have not got that one figured out yet. Any feedback?
4. I think, I might be able to talk the local office into changing me to a Moxi. At least it would improve the channel surfing. But, what would I give up. I think at best it has DVI, but that is not too much of a problem.
5. Sony seems to do an excellant job of taking an analog 480i signal and turning it into an 16:9 picture. This was the case before I got the DVR, as I had no box. If I set the 4:3 bypass to 480i, the non digital channels seem the clearest. Is the 6416 just passing the 480i signal to the TV (does not seem like it, because the only connection is HDMI cable) I have put a splitter in line and ran test of 480i know analog and 480i through the HDMI from the box and cannot make up my mind if there is a difference. On 16:9 channels I am running 1080i and on 4:3 bypass, I currently running 480i. Any comments, anybody.
6. So it appears that all of the first 80+ channels are still being sent down the cable in an analog format. Is this a possible conclusion? When will they all become digital? Does the Feb 2008 affect this? What type of digital witll the be, SD digital, HD digital, or what?
7. Instruction book for 6416 from Charter says to shut off DVR each night. Lots of opposing opinion, some from tech support. What seems to be main thoughts on this forum?
In paragraphs above regarding digital , analog etc, those are my conclusions, and would like any comments as to whether they seem valid or if I have got it wrong.