post #241 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric23 View Post

Can someone please explain the differences in the compression settings? What does it do?

I just don't understand why one would want any compression at all.

I currently have my compression set to "None" and everything seems fine.

Thanks!

Compression adjusts the Compression ratio for the Audio signal, the higher the compression, the more data can come across in less time, however the caveat here is not all audio processing equipment can handle the speed or depth of higher encryption rates -

In theory heavy compression should give you the most detailed and accurate (as far a speed and synchronization) sound - but if your system can't keep up it will pause, skip, be out of sync or have other glitches... as such you can turn down the compression rate and have less detail, but at a speed your system can handle. - Mind you not all of this detail is required - alot of it is the "matrix" processing which mimics dolby for non-dolby programming and adds - Which can be done by the receiver in even cheap home theaters - some receivers will even do a BETTER job without the box's interpretation of "matrix"

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Compression adjusts the Compression ratio for the Audio signal, the higher the compression, the more data can come across in less time, however the caveat here is not all audio processing equipment can handle the speed or depth of higher encryption rates -

In theory heavy compression should give you the most detailed and accurate (as far a speed and synchronization) sound - but if your system can't keep up it will pause, skip, be out of sync or have other glitches... as such you can turn down the compression rate and have less detail, but at a speed your system can handle. - Mind you not all of this detail is required - alot of it is the "matrix" processing which mimics dolby for non-dolby programming and adds - Which can be done by the receiver in even cheap home theaters - some receivers will even do a BETTER job without the box's interpretation of "matrix"

I'm not sure that this is the meaning of compression in this context. This is a setting on the STB. I don't imagine that you can change the compression rate of the audio being sent from the provider simply by modifying a setting on the STB.

I have my TV connected to the L/R analog audio outputs on my STB and noticed that the sound got louder as i raised the compression from none to heavy. I'm guessing this is referring to dynamic range compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression

In other words, with compression set to none, soft things are low volume and loud things are high volume (i.e. there is contrast between soft and loud). With high compression, EVERYTHING is loud (i.e. less contrast between soft and loud).
post #243 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post

I'm not sure that this is the meaning of compression in this context. This is a setting on the STB. I don't imagine that you can change the compression rate of the audio being sent from the provider simply by modifying a setting on the STB.

I have my TV connected to the L/R analog audio outputs on my STB and noticed that the sound got louder as i raised the compression from none to heavy. I'm guessing this is referring to dynamic range compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression

In other words, with compression set to none, soft things are low volume and loud things are high volume (i.e. there is contrast between soft and loud). With high compression, EVERYTHING is loud (i.e. less contrast between soft and loud).

Excellent reading - definitely makes sense - and that would also explain the issues that some equipment experiences at different levels. I'm definitely able to reproduce your results and I'm inclined to agree with your assertion that the guide application is more likely to be controlling the contrast level between soft and loud than it is the transfer rate and depth of information

I happily stand corrected

Thanks for the infromation, Thomase!

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #244 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM

I posted a question about this in other theads but only got one response (and that was a while ago).

I'm seeing a strange problem with my Comcast 3416. The bottom few rows of pixels from the image are transplanted to the top of the image for HD signals. It is only a few lines, so therefore it is not noticeable unless you have TV in a 1:1 pixel mode (sometimes called native, full pixel, 0% overscan, etc.). This is NOT to be confused with the closed captioning data in SD broacasts. This also manifests as lines at the top of the image. It is DEFINETLY lines from the bottom of the image. It is especially easy to see when viewing a background that has a different solid color at the bottom compared to the top. For example, if you are viewing an HD picture that consists of the top half solid red and the bottom half solid blue, you will see a very thin blue line at the top.

It goes away if the box is rebooted but eventually it starts happening again. It is definitely not a problem with the signal from the provider because it happens when playing back an HD recording from the hard drive. If I reboot, the replayed recording looks correct. After the "bug" shows up, the recording has the bottom lines of pixels transplanted to the top. So clearly this is a problem with the way the signal is sent from the box to the display.

I'll make one more note which is an important one. I have an HD DVR box, but not an HDTV. I just have a regular 27" crt connected to the DVR via s-video. If I tune to an HD channel, the box downconverts it to 480i letterbox over s-video. It is quite possible that this problem is very specific to my situation because I am a.) downconverting and b.) using s-video.

Has anyone else seen this?

I haven't figured out which sequence of repeatable events causes this to happen. I have never witnessed the change while watching an HD channel. It seems to only show up at some point after switching to an HD channel after coming out of standby or switching from an SD station.

Edit: I'll admit that it only occurred to me that the problem could be related to HD->480i downconverting when I was almost done writing this post. At the beginning, I mentioned that you'll only see the problem with 0% overscan mode. I should rather say... if this problem is NOT limited to just HD->480i downconvert, I'd imagine that you won't see it on an HD set unless you have 0% overscan. With my particular setup, I see the transplanted scanlines within the inner letterboxed portion of the image on my SDTV. In other words, from top to bottom in order I see, 1.) top black letterbox bar, 2.) transplanted scan line(s), 3.) normal image, 4.) bottom black letterbox bar.
post #245 of 2061 Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 PM

Have not figured out the quote and respond cut/paste yet on this forum, but found several things today:

1. Cured my HD capacity notice so far by doing a HDD reset. Capacity went to zero like always , but when I start a recording it shows 1%, instead of restarting at 49% like it was. Was in the diagnostic screen before this and it was showing about 1/2 of the HDD occupied also.

So far I am recording (as I type) two HD shows for about 25 minutes and have used up abot 4%. While I was typing this I went and cancelled and deleted one of the 1/2 hours of recording and the capacity went from 4% down to 2%, so it sure appears as though the HDD reset did the job.

2. Re: Analog, digital and HD designators.

2a. Still not sure, but on the lower channels the banner displays program rating on the banner and that is it. I do not have my surround system set up yet,but are these in stero/surround 4.1 or what? Cannot tell with just my TV speakers. However there is no indication of stero/surround. Is there a setting in settings or set up that could be changed?

2b. On what appear to be digital channels it shows program rating, then the the Dolby logo wtih the forward and backware D and then the letter "D" apparently for digital??. AFAIK, we only have two digital channels that I subscribe to.

2c. The HD channels show the rating, then the letters "HD" then Dolby logo front and backward Ds and then finally "5.1"

I also noticed that on one of the HD channels of a local station during a newcast the "HD" was not shown, even those I was on a designated HD channel. Apparently they were not broadcasting in HD digital, but apparently were still digital in 5.1 surround.

3. Re: No channel lock out, yes, I have already set up two favorite categories. HD and non HD. However if I press the "FAV" on the remote it always defaults to the HD favorite. Have not got that one figured out yet. Any feedback?

4. I think, I might be able to talk the local office into changing me to a Moxi. At least it would improve the channel surfing. But, what would I give up. I think at best it has DVI, but that is not too much of a problem.

5. Sony seems to do an excellant job of taking an analog 480i signal and turning it into an 16:9 picture. This was the case before I got the DVR, as I had no box. If I set the 4:3 bypass to 480i, the non digital channels seem the clearest. Is the 6416 just passing the 480i signal to the TV (does not seem like it, because the only connection is HDMI cable) I have put a splitter in line and ran test of 480i know analog and 480i through the HDMI from the box and cannot make up my mind if there is a difference. On 16:9 channels I am running 1080i and on 4:3 bypass, I currently running 480i. Any comments, anybody.

6. So it appears that all of the first 80+ channels are still being sent down the cable in an analog format. Is this a possible conclusion? When will they all become digital? Does the Feb 2008 affect this? What type of digital witll the be, SD digital, HD digital, or what?

7. Instruction book for 6416 from Charter says to shut off DVR each night. Lots of opposing opinion, some from tech support. What seems to be main thoughts on this forum?

In paragraphs above regarding digital , analog etc, those are my conclusions, and would like any comments as to whether they seem valid or if I have got it wrong.
post #246 of 2061 Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post

I posted a question about this in other theads but only got one response (and that was a while ago).

I'm seeing a strange problem with my Comcast 3416. The bottom few rows of pixels from the image are transplanted to the top of the image for HD signals. It is only a few lines, so therefore it is not noticeable unless you have TV in a 1:1 pixel mode (sometimes called native, full pixel, 0% overscan, etc.). This is NOT to be confused with the closed captioning data in SD broacasts. This also manifests as lines at the top of the image. It is DEFINETLY lines from the bottom of the image. It is especially easy to see when viewing a background that has a different solid color at the bottom compared to the top. For example, if you are viewing an HD picture that consists of the top half solid red and the bottom half solid blue, you will see a very thin blue line at the top.

It goes away if the box is rebooted but eventually it starts happening again. It is definitely not a problem with the signal from the provider because it happens when playing back an HD recording from the hard drive. If I reboot, the replayed recording looks correct. After the "bug" shows up, the recording has the bottom lines of pixels transplanted to the top. So clearly this is a problem with the way the signal is sent from the box to the display.

I'll make one more note which is an important one. I have an HD DVR box, but not an HDTV. I just have a regular 27" crt connected to the DVR via s-video. If I tune to an HD channel, the box downconverts it to 480i letterbox over s-video. It is quite possible that this problem is very specific to my situation because I am a.) downconverting and b.) using s-video.

I haven't figured out which sequence of repeatable events causes this to happen. I have never witnessed the change while watching an HD channel. It seems to only show up at some point after switching to an HD channel after coming out of standby or switching from an SD station.

Edit: I'll admit that it only occurred to me that the problem could be related to HD->480i downconverting when I was almost done writing this post. At the beginning, I mentioned that you'll only see the problem with 0% overscan mode. I should rather say... if this problem is NOT limited to just HD->480i downconvert, I'd imagine that you won't see it on an HD set unless you have 0% overscan. With my particular setup, I see the transplanted scanlines within the inner letterboxed portion of the image on my SDTV. In other words, from top to bottom in order I see, 1.) top black letterbox bar, 2.) transplanted scan line(s), 3.) normal image, 4.) bottom black letterbox bar.

Still happens with coax. So its not just on s-video out. Although it could still be related to 1080i->480i downconversion.
post #247 of 2061 Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Charter cable with a Motorola DCH6416 box. Can anyone tell my why there is not a digital output option for audio within the box settings? My only choices are optimal stereo which is already there and cannot be changed and then going to audio output which gives me a choice of tv speakers, stereo or advanced which is even more options for stereo/mono. I do know about powering off the box and hitting menu. Which those settings do nothing for my particular setup. For audio I only have a choice of auto, l-pcm and pass through. Using the power off and menu option. I have my box hooked up with hdmi for video and optical cable for audio. No Dolby Digital option anywhere in sight. This is the first dvr box I have ever used without a digital audio output option within the box settings. Someone did confirm to me the Moxi box has such an option. Because as it stands. My audio is completely crippled.
post #248 of 2061 Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Look within your HDMI settings. I seem to remember that someone had this issue a while back and found a way there to bypass the HDMI audio for the digital output.

Bobby 

post #249 of 2061 Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM

i am connecting a motorola 34XX hd/dvr to it via optical. i notice that irregardless of whether i am watching an HD or SD channel the audio signal registered by the receiver is dolbydigital... which i assume means that the motorola box "upgrades" it as otherwise it would be PCM.... the issue is that

a) on those SD channels with the upgraded sound, the receiver emits a humming noise that you can hear if you don't play the sound too loudly

b) since its sitting on dolbydigital, the various surround equalizer manipulations are "prohibited."

any similar experiences?
post #250 of 2061 Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot find anything with that. That is some great news. Because yes. I do need to kill the hdmi audio since I am using a optical cable. Please if you could be so kind and possibly dig some more info up on it. I would greatly appreciate it! I have been to many boards asking about this and this is the first time I have even got close to a response like this from someone like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Look within your HDMI settings. I seem to remember that someone had this issue a while back and found a way there to bypass the HDMI audio for the digital output.

post #251 of 2061 Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

DCH6416 here. Can you shed some more light on how to disable hdmi audio and enable optical only for dobly digital sound? I have a 5.1 system hooked up using hdmi and optical cable. Basically im wanting hdmi for video only and optical for sound only. I do not have that option in the guide anywhere to get optical sound working the way it suppose to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einride View Post

Of the four audio options available through the guide, only one setting applies to the digital output (both coax and optical), but not to digital sound over HDMI. That setting allows you to select either AC3 or PCM output. That must be set to AC3 to get 5.1 and Dolby sound to work.

All of the other options apply only to analog sound from the red and white jacks. The "matrix" setting is the equivalent of simulated surround sound. This works fairly well if your older model TV does not do its own simulated surround.

The "compression" sounds like a digital term, but it applies to analog only and means something like how wide the stereo field appears to be.

Digital output does not respond to the volume control of the Motorola boxes, so the volume is "fixed", regardless of the setting in the options. The digital output is, however, controlled by the "mute" function of the box.

For the HDMI output only, the digital sound responds to mute, but not to any settings in the guide options. To correctly set up HDMI sound, you must do so in the Motorola options, reached by turning off the box, then pressing Menu. There is an option for "Addiitonal HDMI" settings, where you must select "Auto" for sound format, otherwise 5.1 and Dolby will not work.

post #252 of 2061 Old 12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I came across this on Charters website. Its the on screen user manual guide for the Motorola boxes. Here is the link. http://www.charter.com/Visitors/GETBINARY.xbin?ID=1937

Take a look at Sec:1 12 under Audio Setup see the Dolby Digital option? I do not have that option at all.

**Edit**

I have Charter cable coming out on Thursday. I talked to a rep online and they told me I was the first person with this issue. They told me its a feature im suppose to have and it should be there.
post #253 of 2061 Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

I came across this on Charters website. Its the on screen user manual guide for the Motorola boxes. Here is the link. http://www.charter.com/Visitors/GETBINARY.xbin?ID=1937

Take a look at Sec:1 12 under Audio Setup see the Dolby Digital option? I do not have that option at all.

**Edit**

I have Charter cable coming out on Thursday. I talked to a rep online and they told me I was the first person with this issue. They told me its a feature im suppose to have and it should be there.

I have the 6416 box with insight cable. the HDMI to tv - optical to rcvr works like it should for dolby digital. Not all channels are DD only the HD channels. Other forums have reported that not all cable companys activate all the outputs on their boxes. As you have the tech coming out perhaps this is the case. your optical out needs to be activated. Hope the tech fixes you up as the sound is very good in 5.1 from the 6416
post #254 of 2061 Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I was also told it could be defective or like your saying. It needs to be activated. Just curious. Do you have the dolby digital option in your box audio setup settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwdatt View Post

I have the 6416 box with insight cable. the HDMI to tv - optical to rcvr works like it should for dolby digital. Not all channels are DD only the HD channels. Other forums have reported that not all cable companys activate all the outputs on their boxes. As you have the tech coming out perhaps this is the case. your optical out needs to be activated. Hope the tech fixes you up as the sound is very good in 5.1 from the 6416

post #255 of 2061 Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:

**Edit**

How do I open an "xbin" file??
post #256 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

You just click the link and it will open using Adobe Reader. Takes a few seconds or so to dl the manual. Its actually in pdf format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post

How do I open an "xbin" file??

post #257 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:

I was also told it could be defective or like your saying. It needs to be activated. Just curious. Do you have the dolby digital option in your box audio setup settings?

I'm not sure if I got this right, but the settings in the box menu under HDMI: submenu "Additional HDMI settings" the audio choices are Auto, L-PCM, Passthrough. My selection is "Auto" as it doesn't seem to make any difference which option is used. My rcvr displays "Dolby D" for the 5.1 source, and PLII for non 5.1. I took pictures of the moto 6416 box menu settings if you think it will help.

After re-reading some of these posts, I see we are talking two different audio menu setups, 1. from the channel guide, and 2. from the Motorola 6416 III cable box setup menus. My comments here relate to the cstb menu audio options. I have never messed with the channel guide options but can report my settings if that is what forum member want. Sorry for my confusion if it created problems.
post #258 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

**Edit**

I've not seen this option for TV Guide interface at all - not in previous (non-iguide) versions or in the newer versions. Not that I've seen every version - but across the versions we've used in my market it's not been there.

Generally you "turn off" dolby by setting the box to TV speakers or Stereo - if your on Advanced - Then you're pretty much set to pass on Dolby information to the receiver.

***EDIT****
another source of confusion could well be the Moxi guide -which DOES have an option to turn on the Dolby Digital.

post #259 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshest View Post

i am connecting a motorola 34XX hd/dvr to it via optical. i notice that irregardless of whether i am watching an HD or SD channel the audio signal registered by the receiver is dolbydigital... which i assume means that the motorola box "upgrades" it as otherwise it would be PCM.... the issue is that

a) on those SD channels with the upgraded sound, the receiver emits a humming noise that you can hear if you don't play the sound too loudly

b) since its sitting on dolbydigital, the various surround equalizer manipulations are "prohibited."

any similar experiences?

Try changing your advanced setting to get rid of the Hum - another trick would be in the settings to hit "optimal Stereo" - frequently if someone has used the volume on the box to turn it up or down this will change the output level - optimal Stereo sets it about 75% volume - which is where Moto prefers for stereo output.

The lock out of Various Surround Equalizer is not universal - I've not had that issue with my KLH or Pioneer receiver - though some systems will not allow specialized settings when you put the system in Dolby mode - experiement with your audio modes depending on programming.

Optical should still carry audio while the HDMI is being used - as should the coaxial and RCA outputs - I've got mine HDMI to the TV and Optical to the home theater and had no problems with the default configuration

post #260 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

1. Cured my HD capacity notice so far by doing a HDD reset. Capacity went to zero like always , but when I start a recording it shows 1%, instead of restarting at 49% like it was. Was in the diagnostic screen before this and it was showing about 1/2 of the HDD occupied also.

So far I am recording (as I type) two HD shows for about 25 minutes and have used up abot 4%. While I was typing this I went and cancelled and deleted one of the 1/2 hours of recording and the capacity went from 4% down to 2%, so it sure appears as though the HDD reset did the job.

Good deal - the TV guide update should fix this permenantly - but if it comes back a power cycle should give temporary relief. I've also found deleting any one program will get it to recalculate availible space - good for dealing with a false 100%.

Quote:

2. Re: Analog, digital and HD designators.
2a. Still not sure, but on the lower channels the banner displays program rating on the banner and that is it. I do not have my surround system set up yet,but are these in stero/surround 4.1 or what? Cannot tell with just my TV speakers. However there is no indication of stero/surround. Is there a setting in settings or set up that could be changed?

2b. On what appear to be digital channels it shows program rating, then the the Dolby logo wtih the forward and backware D and then the letter "D" apparently for digital??. AFAIK, we only have two digital channels that I subscribe to.

2c. The HD channels show the rating, then the letters "HD" then Dolby logo front and backward Ds and then finally "5.1"

Audio encryption is entirely seperate of HD standards - while HD channels are more likely to include dolby encryption not all HD shows may have HD. The D after the Dolby logo indicates Dolby Digital (the dolby logo without the D is just Dolby) - a good test of Analog Dolby would be "The Simpsons" - that's dolby encrypted from the source and most MSOs should pass that info on if your watching it from a Fox feed.

SD programming is often broadcasted on HD channels - frequently commercials, news and non-prime time shows. - it's digital, so the picture is better, but it's still encoded from the broadcaster in SD.

I also noticed that on one of the HD channels of a local station during a newcast the "HD" was not shown, even those I was on a designated HD channel. Apparently they were not broadcasting in HD digital, but apparently were still digital in 5.1 surround.

To change your audio setup to to the main guide (guide button twice) - guide setup - audio - you'll want to set for optimal stereo sound and experiment with the Advanced settings to see what works best with your system.

Quote:

3. Re: No channel lock out, yes, I have already set up two favorite categories. HD and non HD. However if I press the "FAV" on the remote it always defaults to the HD favorite. Have not got that one figured out yet. Any feedback?

your first favorite list is your default - I think you punch fav twice or hit fav from the menu to select which Favorites list you want to use at the time - I generally keep one for less confusion - if you keep them on the same list or "category" you'll go seemlessly from one to the other

As far as lock out - you should be able to go into parental controls and require a lock for any specific chanel, any specific ratings or anything that requires a purchase (purchase pin) you can specifically lock out a title - but generally I prefer to lock out by ratings.

Quote:

4. I think, I might be able to talk the local office into changing me to a Moxi. At least it would improve the channel surfing. But, what would I give up. I think at best it has DVI, but that is not too much of a problem.

6416 VS Moxi

6416 uses a newer tuner - as such it has a much clearer picture - this is particularly noticable on LCD and Plasma TVs - older tubes don't have the problem.

6416 had HDMI Vs Moxi's DVI and sports a 160 Gig hard drive.

Other than that it's all guide interface.

Moxi currently supports HD expansion via USB ports and you can remotely manage your recording schedule via the Charter.net Portal. (remote scheduling is due for 6416s sometime in 8007, no word on USB expansion)

Quote:

5. Sony seems to do an excellant job of taking an analog 480i signal and turning it into an 16:9 picture. This was the case before I got the DVR, as I had no box. If I set the 4:3 bypass to 480i, the non digital channels seem the clearest. Is the 6416 just passing the 480i signal to the TV (does not seem like it, because the only connection is HDMI cable) I have put a splitter in line and ran test of 480i know analog and 480i through the HDMI from the box and cannot make up my mind if there is a difference. On 16:9 channels I am running 1080i and on 4:3 bypass, I currently running 480i. Any comments, anybody.

This is more common than many think - often the TV handles picture processing better than the box or conflicts with the box setup - generally if you're on 1080i with a 480i bypass you'll pass the picture size as it was done by the feed - but the big question is what did you set the box's aspect ratio to -

HD channels tell the TV it's a 16:9 picture - but if the show is in SD the TV is given the extra info so it doesn't stretch the picture - the result is a floating picture in the middle of the screen - many people switch to 4:3 Pan & Scan to get around this - but that crops widescreen programming.

Frequently people will switch their boxes to 480i and the TV will make lemmonade from lemmons - this can be bennificial with guide issues and picture scaling issues - but if you don't have such issues, I'd recommend keeping it at 1080i so your TV is getting all the information it can about the picture before "grooming" it for you.

6. So it appears that all of the first 80+ channels are still being sent down the cable in an analog format. Is this a possible conclusion? When will they all become digital? Does the Feb 2008 affect this? What type of digital witll the be, SD digital, HD digital, or what?

7. Instruction book for 6416 from Charter says to shut off DVR each night. Lots of opposing opinion, some from tech support. What seems to be main thoughts on this forum?

In paragraphs above regarding digital , analog etc, those are my conclusions, and would like any comments as to whether they seem valid or if I have got it wrong.[/quote]

post #261 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Imo, the box is crippled then. Because powering off and hitting menu. I am using hdmi and optical cable. Those additional audio settings are for hdmi. I could care less about that since I am wanting hdmi for video and want to by pass the audio part of it for my optical cable. By going into the guide menu. Those settings are just more stereo options and mono options. There needs to be a dolby digital option for a optical cable like it shows in the guide. Like I said. This is the first dvr box I have ever used without a dolby digital option. Rather its a Charter problem or Motorola problem. I do not know. It should be fixed though. I know you did not make the box or anything. But, something this small is frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

I've not seen this option for TV Guide interface at all - not in previous (non-iguide) versions or in the newer versions. Not that I've seen every version - but across the versions we've used in my market it's not been there.

Generally you "turn off" dolby by setting the box to TV speakers or Stereo - if your on Advanced - Then you're pretty much set to pass on Dolby information to the receiver.

***EDIT****
another source of confusion could well be the Moxi guide -which DOES have an option to turn on the Dolby Digital.

post #262 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Hmmm, am I hearing you right, that using the 6416 optical out to rcvr and HDMI to tv(for video only) you are not getting 5.1? I know I am in that configuration.
post #263 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Liked: 11
Without getting into the details, it is important to keep in mind that a box is not defective just because it isn't designed the way an individual customer might want. There is a difference between whether a box does what it was designed to do, versus the box doing what someone might want it to do.
post #264 of 2061 Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

When its advertised being able to do what it suppose to and it does not. What else is a customer to think? Its not a matter of me wanting it to do something it is not designed for. Its a matter of the box having to do what is advertised. It doesn't mean the box is defective. Your right on that. But is it a matter of false advertising or something that was missed software wise or firmware wise when it was made. Or even like someone else said. The cable company not activating it properly for dolby digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Without getting into the details, it is important to keep in mind that a box is not defective just because it isn't designed the way an individual customer might want. There is a difference between whether a box does what it was designed to do, versus the box doing what someone might want it to do.

post #265 of 2061 Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 AM

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. I think it is just a matter of the box working differently from how you want it to work.
post #266 of 2061 Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 AM

I got the 6412 from Comcast about 18 months ago. As mentioned elsewhere it is sluggish, particularly when going into the "Recorded Programs" and selecting/deleting individual programs.

However, in the past month, two things have occurred:

1) when in the Recorded Programs area clicking on a choice sometimes results in the system hanging for 2-3 minutes; at other times when clicking on a recorded program to get the description, you can watch as individual alphanumeric characters slowly print on the screen

2) When recording programs, the box has shutdown and recycled repeatedly (last night it shutdown 4 times during a single 60 minute recording cycle). This also wipes out the Program Guide listing until it repopulates (and until it's repopulated you cannot select a channel/time/program for recording)

QUESTIONS:
1) Are the above problems the result of the Motorola or Comcast?

2) Does the DCH3412 perform any better than the older DCT6412?

[I'm sure these issues may have been adressed somewhere already, but my search skills are such that I couldn't find the answers]

I'm getting ready to swap the 6412 for the 3416 - so shout "don't do it" quickly if you know of any reason why these two....

Thanks,
post #267 of 2061 Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSharrow View Post

I got the 6412 from Comcast about 18 months ago. As mentioned elsewhere it is sluggish, particularly when going into the "Recorded Programs" and selecting/deleting individual programs.

However, in the past month, two things have occurred:

1) when in the Recorded Programs area clicking on a choice sometimes results in the system hanging for 2-3 minutes; at other times when clicking on a recorded program to get the description, you can watch as individual alphanumeric characters slowly print on the screen

2) When recording programs, the box has shutdown and recycled repeatedly (last night it shutdown 4 times during a single 60 minute recording cycle). This also wipes out the Program Guide listing until it repopulates (and until it's repopulated you cannot select a channel/time/program for recording)

QUESTIONS:
1) Are the above problems the result of the Motorola or Comcast?

2) Does the DCH3412 perform any better than the older DCT6412?

[I'm sure these issues may have been adressed somewhere already, but my search skills are such that I couldn't find the answers]

I'm getting ready to swap the 6412 for the 3416 - so shout "don't do it" quickly if you know of any reason why these two....

Thanks,

Have you powercycled it after any of those problems occur?

If that doesn't resolve it may need to be initialized to wipe previous firmware and reload it fresh - that's definitely not normal behavoir - not from Motorola at any rate (and I'd hate to think Comcast could screw up a Moto system badly enough to slow it down that much)

if a powercycle doesn't work PM me and I'll give you instructions to locally wipe your firmware off the box and reload it

post #268 of 2061 Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM

What is the proper way to do a "power cycle" Tech support told me to do that to wipe out the ghost memory on my HDD, but either I did it wrong or it did not wipe it out,as I had to do a HDD wipe.
post #269 of 2061 Old 12-21-2007, 10:14 PM

The booklet that Charter gave me with the DCT6416III says to shut off the DVR every night. I have been told by others to leave it on. Anybody know the answer for sure?

When shut off, is it still getting schedule feeds from Charter or is off, off?
post #270 of 2061 Old 12-22-2007, 04:24 AM

As long as it is plugged in (power and cable) it will receive schedule updates.

Leave it on anyway. DVRs in these series often get flaky if you are continually turning them on and off.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page