post #451 of 1068 Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by u600213 View Post

Diagnostic 23 says no hdd(s) found. Screenshots of some diagnostic screens and the DVR not available message here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/u600213/Dvrstatus

Sounds like something is going wrong with your HDD. How many times have you rebooted the box and seen this happen?

If the HDD is indeed going bad/gone bad, the recordings are lost, so getting a replacement shouldn't be as traumatic.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1068 Old 04-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Rebooted 2 times "by hand" and once from a hit by Mediacom yesterday after the 100% full nonsense, and 1 more time this AM 1 hr before taking the screen shots. Off to Mediacom when they open in the morning. thanks.
post #453 of 1068 Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Just in case anyone is looking to expand the storage on their pace box, here is a great deal from Best Buy on the DVR expander:

My DVR Expander Sale

When combined with this 10% coupon:

10 Percent Off Coupon

I picked one up yesterday for $152.99 + tax. Now I just have to attach the unit later today to my TDC778X.

Robert

PS website say 2 days only, but I think that is only the free shipping offer. They are on sale all week in the stores.
post #454 of 1068 Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
Wow! Thanks for pointing this out! I just got one of those a week or so ago and Best Buy honored their price guarantee and is giving me $30 back!

Yay!
post #455 of 1068 Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

I had basically the same lockup tonight. I had tuner 1 & 2 on HD channels. I was watching a HD previously recorded program from the HDD. The video started to play for 6 seconds and go blank for 2-3 seconds continuously. I quit the play back and both tuner were doing the exact same thing at the same time. I tuned both tuner to analog and the analog channels played for 6 seconds and went blank for 2-3 seconds (same). Trying to tune either or both tuner back to digital channels fails with the message box: "ONE MOMENT PLEASE, This Channel should be available shortly."
The Cable Card Status doesn't look good:
Connection NOT PRESENT
VALIDATION State n/a
[ALL ITEMS] n/a

I had the lockup again last night 4/7/08 while recording a HD show. I don't know if this is significant but the show that was recording is listed in the content listing as "Video type : DIGICIPHER_II". Most shows are listed as MPEG2. Maybe the Cable Card's decoding of that video format is causing it to lockup.

NOTE: I was able to tune my SONY DVR to that channel when the PACE was flaking out and watch the program with no issues with its Mot. Cable card.

Any progress on this issue? This is a major bug in this DVR.

It as happened to me on 1/20, 3/15, 4/8 and probably on 3/8 (when I had the 700+ lock counts). This seems to be happening pretty frequently. This last time the box had only been up for 3 days since the last reboot.

The reason I feel the lock count issue was this same issue is that each time the unit loop back on itself it appears to bump the lock count. The show I was recording last night has a Lost Lock Count : 28 and Gain Lock Count 27. I was watching that show so I intervened and verified the issue was the same and stopped the recording and looked that the diagnostics before rebooting. Usually when a show has a real lost lock the show is split into another recording.
post #456 of 1068 Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if this is significant but the show that was recording is listed in the content listing as "Video type : DIGICIPHER_II".

Don't think so, this is just a MPEG-2 variation. Won't cause a crash by itself.

Quote:

NOTE: I was able to tune my SONY DVR to that channel when the PACE was flaking out and watch the program with no issues with its Mot. Cable card.

Do you know if it has a MOT M-Card (multi-stream) or an S-Card (single stream)?

Quote:

Any progress on this issue? This is a major bug in this DVR.

As mentioned earlier, we have fixes for recovering the card when it gets into this state. However, we've not determined how/why the problem happens in the first place. I will keep you updated if/when we have more details or when the build with the fixes is available for deployment.

Quote:

It as happened to me on 1/20, 3/15, 4/8 and probably on 3/8 (when I had the 700+ lock counts). This seems to be happening pretty frequently. This last time the box had only been up for 3 days since the last reboot.

Is the same program and/or channel that exhibits the problem?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #457 of 1068 Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM

lindend,

I just added a WD MyDVR Expander to my TDC778X (Armstrong Cable Svc.) and everything seems to be working fine. I just have a quick question:

Should the external hard drive shut off when the Pace box is off. I have had the hard drive on for 2 days now and unlike my other WD MyBook Essential hard drives (connected via usb to computers) the hard drive has remained on since inititally plugged in.

Thank you,
Robert
post #458 of 1068 Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Do you know if it has a MOT M-Card (multi-stream) or an S-Card (single stream)?

I think it is a S-Card. Here is a photo of the card: CableCard

Quote:

Is the same program and/or channel that exhibits the problem?

It happens on different channels, but I beleive it always happens on encrypted channels (and HD in my case because that is 99% of what I watch).
post #459 of 1068 Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Robert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifemaster View Post

Should the external hard drive shut off when the Pace box is off.

Please clarify off. If you mean putting the box into standby (i.e. hitting the power button), then the drive should remain powered. If you are physically removing power from the set top box, you can remove power from the HDD too.

Under normal circumstances, the drive should be powered on 24/7. When going into standby, the drive "should" spin down. It may not due to some of the issues/bugs discussed earlier in this thread, but that's a different issue.

Linden
post #460 of 1068 Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Robert,
Please clarify off. If you mean putting the box into standby (i.e. hitting the power button), then the drive should remain powered. If you are physically removing power from the set top box, you can remove power from the HDD too.

Under normal circumstances, the drive should be powered on 24/7. When going into standby, the drive "should" spin down. It may not due to some of the issues/bugs discussed earlier in this thread, but that's a different issue.

Lindend, thak you for the explanation. I was speaking about the Pace box being in "Standby" mode. It appears as though it is working as intended.

Thanks again,
Robert
post #461 of 1068 Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it is a S-Card.

It is an S-Card, so this isn't completely an apples to apples comparison with the problematic content. We're investigating.

Linden
post #462 of 1068 Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Im baaaack anyways my PACE DVR has been working fairly well with the odd framerate issue since swapping out the first one. Just wondering if anyone knows where I can view a list of features I can program into the A,B,C,D buttons. The remote is UEI brand.
post #463 of 1068 Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Linden!

1. What are the commands to reformat the internal hard drive?
  2. Can the internal drive be swapped for a 750GB and use an external 750GB at the same time?

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #464 of 1068 Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

What are the commands to reformat the internal hard drive?

They are described earlier in this thread. You format the drive via diagnostics main page with the following keys.

Repeat
MyDVR
MyDVR
MyDVR
Live

*MyDVR may be the LIVE key on your remote.

Quote:

Can the internal drive be swapped for a 750GB and use an external 750GB at the same time?

If you do this, you will

1. Void the warranty
2. Lose temperature/overheat detection on the internal drive.

It may or may not work, but it is an unsupported operation.

Linden
post #465 of 1068 Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Void the warranty

Understood. But it would be worth the risk for the storage space. Our TDC775 only cost us $224 so there's not a really lot at stake.
Quote:

2. Lose temperature/overheat detection on the internal drive.

Your diagnostics page says you are using the Seagate ST3160023AS drive which is just a stock Barracuda 7200.7 drive.

How would it be different to swap it for a 750GB or even a 1TB drive from the same family?

OTOH, we tried to connect a 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 series ST3500641AS in an external chassis to the eSATA port but the 775 could not see it at all?! What would be the problem there??

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #466 of 1068 Old 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your diagnostics page says you are using the Seagate ST3160023AS drive which is just a stock Barracuda 7200.7 drive.

It doesn't have stock firmware. The firmware is optimized for DVR usage.

Quote:

How would it be different to swap it for a 750GB or even a 1TB drive from the same family?

May work, but you're on your own from a tech support standpoint. I will tell you that we never have tested this scenario.

Quote:

OTOH, we tried to connect a 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 series ST3500641AS in an external chassis to the eSATA port but the 775 could not see it at all?! What would be the problem there??

What model chasis?

BTW, since you talking about a 775, this discussion should be moved over to the 775 thread.

Linden
post #467 of 1068 Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

since you talking about a 775, this discussion should be moved over to the 775 thread.

OK.

" - MLK

post #468 of 1068 Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a different Cable card issue tonight. This time the Cable card task stayed running but the Validation State (was not VALID) and Card Ready == NO.

The unit would not allow me to watch any encrypted digitial channel. I could only watch the analog and Network HD digital feeds. The unit didn't get locked up like it has the other times when the Cable card task dissapears.

My other SONY DVR with the Single Stream Mot. cable card was working fine.

A reboot of the PACE cleared the issue.

Is this a known issue? Has it been addressed in firmware update since the 9.58 version that I have?
post #469 of 1068 Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a different Cable card issue tonight. This time the Cable card task stayed running but the Validation State (was not VALID) and Card Ready == NO.

From your description, it does not sound like a software (or hardware bug) int the STB. When the validation state is INVALID, it should have a number right next to it. Did you by any chance get this info?

Card Ready == NO indicates that the card no longer believes that your box is authorized to decrypt content.

Both of these symptoms seem to point to either an issue in the MCard (extremely doubtful) or some type of network traffic from the cable headend that (temporarily) de-authorized/unpaired your box. Problem is, I need that error code to figure out why the card was unhappy.

Linden
post #470 of 1068 Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From your description, it does not sound like a software (or hardware bug) int the STB. When the validation state is INVALID, it should have a number right next to it. Did you by any chance get this info?

Card Ready == NO indicates that the card no longer believes that your box is authorized to decrypt content.

Both of these symptoms seem to point to either an issue in the MCard (extremely doubtful) or some type of network traffic from the cable headend that (temporarily) de-authorized/unpaired your box. Problem is, I need that error code to figure out why the card was unhappy.

I don't recall any number. That is another thing to look for next time (I was going to take a picture, but you have never wanted them before and I was in a hurry, so I didn't.)
post #471 of 1068 Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 PM

I am having same issue that some users have reported with HDMI and Surround. I have the psce 778x hooked up to a yamaha rx-v3800 reciever thru hdmi and the unit will not output surround sound. I hsve gone into disg screen and I am on firmware 09.02 and the av info states surround but it will output in any format except PCM PLII 2 channel stereo. Are there any resolves for this issue.
post #472 of 1068 Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I had 3 series recordings scheduled to record tonight at the same time.

The middle priority program recorded and the other two did not. The tuner 2 was tuned to the high priority show but the recording was not started. The lowest priority showed up in the guide with a record circle with a line through it.

I am sure this is TVGuide bug but some one has to send them this information. I am puzzled how people can enjoy using these PVR that you can't count on to record anything.

Having an external HDD is proving to be useless on this piece of junk. I had saved 3 concerts that I like watching on my DVR list and when I rebooted due to the Cable Card becoming invalid it toasted those recordings (try to play and it asks if you want to delete it). It left other recordings earlier and later. I am thinking that the recordings that you have stopped in the middle of before the reboot are the once that get screwed up.

PACE - please fix these bugs... I thought the screwed up recordings was supposed to be fixed in the 9.58 firmware I have. Maybe if PACE's employees were forced to use these boxes at home these issues would get resolved. I am sure they would contact TVGuide about the bugs if they missed show after show.
post #473 of 1068 Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 PM

As far as I know, you can only record 2 programs at a time.

But TVGuide software has a very long way to go before it's considered really user-friendly.
post #474 of 1068 Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

As far as I know, you can only record 2 programs at a time.

But TVGuide software has a very long way to go before it's considered really user-friendly.

Why did one program record then and not two??? That was the point of the post. The prioities are to determine which two record but only 1 of 3 recorded and it should have been two.......
post #475 of 1068 Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Got a problem..

When Mediacom recently introed the 778 (when they started digital simulcasting) they had a lot of problems. In the last couple of weeks, they downloaded some new software and things got measurably better, but there is still one particularly irritating problem.

The problem occurs when fast forwarding past commercials in recorded shows. When you want to stop and hit play to resume normal operation, the box jumps back to the time when you originally started. This can occur repeatedly. Eventually, the set locks in and resumes playing following the commercials (or other program material being skipped).

One symptom that often occurs at the same time is that the picture stutters, jerks and jumps during the fast forward. It doesn't move through the program material smoothly. Often when it is doing this, the forwarding speed slows down dramatically.

Sometimes you can fake the 778 out by forwrding in shorter increments, hitting play every minute or so, letting it play for a few seconds, and then fast forwarding again.
This behavior seems to happen more often with HD content.

To speculate, it seems like a pointer doesn't reset to the new location when fast forwarding. Consequently the drive jumps back to the last position of the pointer, the beginning of the fast forward.

Mediacom doesn't have a clue what's happening with the 778. They're too busy trying to cram too much programming down their small pipe. (Their HD performance is marginal at best, and now compression and bandwidth problems have moved into the digital 2-78 channel content. You can't view anything with any action in those channels without tiling clearly visible. But that's another story.)

The viewing setup is Mediacom cable, TDC778x, HDMI to Sony 1080p SXRD. 778x software - SW (DENA) 09.66; HW 0x00000001; CableCard SW 02.65 (0x09010007); HW P=MCPOD v=01.00 r=07; Pace Reference 001-106-02-11-001-141-2-5: TVG version 240; Tandberg version 3_70

Anyone have any thoughts on this fast forward problem?

Thanks.
post #476 of 1068 Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 PM

I think this was reported earlier (fast forward jumping back to where you started), but I have the same problem fairly often as well. I haven't noticed it being more prevalent with HD.

I'm on GCI in Anchorage.

Picture quality isn't too bad, but I have noticed it breaking up on the spinning NBC peacock logo which involves a lot of motion.

So far I can ignore these small problems. (knock on wood)
post #477 of 1068 Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 PM

I have a question in regards to the RF bypass option..

In my setup now i currently have a 2 way splitter prior to the Pace box.
One going into the DVR the other going into the TV. I do this because the wife sometimes will have the DVR scheduled to record two shows at the same time, and then we will watch something else (in SD ) via the TV tuner.

My question is.. Can I eliminate the splitter and utilize the RF bypass to accomplish the same thing? If so does the RF bypass need to be toggled on and off or is it a "set it and forget it" option??
post #478 of 1068 Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM

New glitch?

I was watching PBS tonight when the picture started to break up - then went black. It came back on within a minute. Then 10-20 minutes later the same thing happened, but the picture was off for over a minute. I haven't seen this behavior before.

Now my message light is blinking, but there are no messages.

Does a slowly-blinking message light mean something different? (I have a My DVR Expander hooked up to the external SATA port.)
post #479 of 1068 Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Update...

Mediacom downloaded new software overnight. Now it's at 10.51.

Don't know if it will have any effect on jump back problem.
post #480 of 1068 Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Re. 479

Even with new software, it's still jumping back, and forward occasionally, and driving us nuts.

lindend, is this a Pace software or a TVG issue? Who should I get a Voodoo doll of?

Help... Please...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page