Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1068 Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Its theoretically possible to swap out the internal drive for a larger drive. However, as documented in the 775 thread, not only would this void the warranty, but there are also some potential file system integrity issues with larger drives (basically, anything larger than 160GB isn't formatted correctly if you use the internal connector).

So to net this (swapped out internal drives) out, this is an untested configuration that may appear to work, but could result in data loss and other oddities.

Any progress on this issue? What version of firmware would I look for to find out if the issue has been resolved?

Much better for you to just offer such a unit through cable providers than to have users tempted to do the indicated steps - and thus, as you say, run into warranty issues.

I do not know why the hardware offered is so behind the times. I do not know anyone who would be satisfied with the amount of recording one can do with the stock 160 GB of storage -- ridiculously small, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1068 Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "discrete codes" or "hex values," but will add a vote for a quick way to turn on and off closed captions while viewing.
post #543 of 1068 Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've had a request (from BillKen) for discrete codes to enable/disable closed captions (i.e. eliminate the need to go into standby to access Pace User Settings). I would like to find out how many people would find this useful. If so, anyone have suggestions for the hex values you'd like to see used?

Also, if there are other discrete remote codes that you might find useful, please post your suggestions.

Being the lazy American that I am - I'd like discrete codes for darn near every menu option that's only accessible via the standby / panel deal really.

But having a CC on/off discrete would be a fantastic first step. Thanks for considering it Linden.

~Bill
post #544 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Being the lazy American that I am - I'd like discrete codes for darn near every menu option that's only accessible via the standby / panel deal really.

I know you'd like a discrete code for everything Bill.

However, do you have a top 5 list of User Settings discrete codes you'd like to see added?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #545 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know you'd like a discrete code for everything Bill.

However, do you have a top 5 list of User Settings discrete codes you'd like to see added?

Well since there are really only 5 standby/menu settings (I'm assuming you don't want to add in the configuration settings).

1) Close Captions on/off (would be nice to be able to toggle between "Viewer" and "Program" also)
2) TV Capability (1080i or 720p)
3) Auto Pillarbox on/off
4) Front Panel Settings dim/bright
5) TV Aspect Ratio 16:9/4:3

In that order. Or do you mean additional menu choices - like CC options/colors etc?

~Bill
post #546 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

3) Auto Pillarbox on/off
4) Front Panel Settings dim/bright
5) TV Aspect Ratio 16:9/4:3

Aren't these set it and forget it type of things? Do we really need a discrete code for this?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #547 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceMan View Post

Any progress on this issue? What version of firmware would I look for to find out if the issue has been resolved?

There have been no firmware updates to address this issue. Our priority has been to address issues on tested/supported configurations first (i.e. like the problem that some users have with trick modes ending up in the wrong spot or the CRC info in diags being incorrect on the latest 779 firmware release).

If/when a fix is available, the release note thread will be updated with the details.

Linden
post #548 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Tried recording something last night by hitting the record during a show and got the system message that it could not process my request and if I continued to get that messgae to contact support. I shut down the box, then pulled the plug. After waiting a minute I put power back to the 778. It started the boot process withthe 4 dashes on the display and after a minute or so the power button went to green (from red) but nothing else. I waited but still nothing. Hitting th epower button did nothing. The box just stopped responding. I'm had this box about 2-3 months and it was new when I got it (versus being recycled). Oh well.... I guess I have to swap it again and lose another batch of recordings. I'm not having a good track record with the Pace boxes.
post #549 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aren't these set it and forget it type of things? Do we really need a discrete code for this?

Yes they are Linden - but beyond CC and possibly 720p/1080i - what other discrete settings could be enabled that would really be all that useful? I'm not really all that sure myself.

~Bill
post #550 of 1068 Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtaste View Post

I would be interested in any other issues you experience with this new software build as well.

Issues with the new software:

1) Every time the box is woke up from standby (squarebox of "-" around display) by pressing power button on the remote, both tuners are set to channel '1' which is the VOD channel. If a scheduled recording wakes up the box this does not happen. If the box happens to be not sleeping when power button is pressed the previous channels are restored. If the box is reboot from diag menu previous channels are restored.

2) VOD refused to work today and had a message box with the providers customer service number to call. Rebooting the box restored VOD. So the VOD issues persist with the lateset software.

3) This is a old issue but still exists on the new software. When the box is removed from standby mode due to a scheduled recording, no sound is output on the HDMI connection until some button on the remote is pressed (user activity?).
post #551 of 1068 Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

3) This is a old issue but still exists on the new software. When the box is removed from standby mode due to a scheduled recording, no sound is output on the HDMI connection until some button on the remote is pressed (user activity?).

This is how TVG is designed. I'm guessing its done so if the box comes out of standby in the middle of the night, it doesn't wake everyone in the house up.

Linden
post #552 of 1068 Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 PM

hi there, i have an issue on my hands. I'm trying to get the dc757x to hook up to my westinghouse 32h240s via hdmi, but it won't work. the component cables work, however i cannot get the hdmi to display a signal. help is much appreciated, let me know if i need to provide more info.
Thanks!
post #553 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigted41 View Post

hi there, i have an issue on my hands. I'm trying to get the dc757x to hook up to my westinghouse 32h240s via hdmi, but it won't work. the component cables work, however i cannot get the hdmi to display a signal. help is much appreciated, let me know if i need to provide more info.
Thanks!

Please post the details from the HDMI diagnostics page (its under the interface status page (21)) when the Westinghouse is connected via HDMI.

Linden
post #554 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Issues with the new software:

1) Every time the box is woke up from standby (squarebox of "-" around display) by pressing power button on the remote, both tuners are set to channel '1' which is the VOD channel. If a scheduled recording wakes up the box this does not happen. If the box happens to be not sleeping when power button is pressed the previous channels are restored. If the box is reboot from diag menu previous channels are restored.

2) VOD refused to work today and had a message box with the providers customer service number to call. Rebooting the box restored VOD. So the VOD issues persist with the lateset software.

Lindend, Have you been able to reproduce item 1?

I have more information about item 1. If your last channel on tuner 1 has a show that exceeds your current rating limit and needs a Unlock code, then the last channel is maintained after standby resume by remote control and you are presented with the window to enter the code.
post #555 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lindend, Have you been able to reproduce item 1?

No, but there is something else that needs to be investigated. The cable headend (DAC) can also control the turn on channel (i.e. 1 in your case). Its it possible that Mediacom in your area have defined channel 1 (VOD) to be the turn on channel rather than the last tuned channel?

Linden
post #556 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, but there is something else that needs to be investigated. The cable headend (DAC) can also control the turn on channel (i.e. 1 in your case). Its it possible that Mediacom in your area have defined channel 1 (VOD) to be the turn on channel rather than the last tuned channel?

If that was the case, it would seem that there would be an issue with how PACE handles that setting. Rebooting uses last channel, normal standby-resume uses last channel, deep sleep standby-resume uses HE setting?

Seems inconsistant.
post #557 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Mediacom does not have a turn on channel in that area.
post #558 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that was the case, it would seem that there would be an issue with how PACE handles that setting. Rebooting uses last channel, normal standby-resume uses last channel,

The behavior as you describe it would indicate that the DAC does not have a turn on channel and toadtaste has confirmed that.

We're investigating.

Linden
post #559 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Please post the details from the HDMI diagnostics page (its under the interface status page (21)) when the Westinghouse is connected via HDMI.

i'm afraid i don't know what you mean, do you have step by step instructions for me? sorry for the trouble.

edit: I found the instructions for how to access the PACE User Settings, however i do not see an option for "interface status". thanks again
post #560 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm afraid i don't know what you mean, do you have step by step instructions for me? sorry for the trouble.

edit: I found the instructions for how to access the PACE User Settings, however i do not see an option for "interface status". thanks again

Not user settings, but diagnostics. Press "power off" followed by "select" (or "ok"). Then if you see the Dash board you have to press the left arrow. Type "2" "1" on the remote press "select" then you will see HDMI as a selection.

The page is called "HDMI STATUS".

Note that there are more items on the page if you press "page +/-".
post #561 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Lindend,

Very nice defrag display in the new firmware. I am impressed! I like the history from the previous run being shown and the current status.

On another note, you said that you were still working on the HDD spindown and that this 10.60 wouldn't be a complete fix. My external SATA spins down like clock work with this new version and the unit appears to go to sleep at the same time. On the old 9.58 even when the HDD would spindown the unit didn't wake up with the square box. My "# STANDBY SPINDOWNS" is 1066 now. I would say my issue with spindown must be fixed now.
post #562 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Not user settings, but diagnostics. Press "power off" followed by "select" (or "ok"). Then if you see the Dash board you have to press the left arrow. Type "2" "1" on the remote press "select" then you will see HDMI as a selection.

The page is called "HDMI STATUS".

Note that there are more item on the page if you press "page +/-".

ok, i found it, but it says "HDMI Device not Connected". it is connected from the cable box to the tv, i have tried both of my tvs hdmi inputs, and two cables (same brand though).
post #563 of 1068 Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok, i found it, but it says "HDMI Device not Connected". it is connected from the cable box to the tv, i have tried both of my tvs hdmi inputs, and two cables (same brand though).

I would just ask the obvious, have you tried your "westinghouse 32h240s" HDMI input with another device? DVD, etc.

For me when I am on that screen and unplug the HDMI connection it goes to not connected, then reattaching the HDMI cable and it goes back to a full screen with all the HDMI parameters (even if the HDMI switch I am using is unplug from power. It seems like the PACE caches the HDMI information.)

If the HDMI ports on the tv works, it sounds like you got a bad DVR. Lindend may have other advice.
post #564 of 1068 Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:

I would just ask the obvious, have you tried your "westinghouse 32h240s" HDMI input with another device? DVD, etc.

For me when I am on that screen and unplug the HDMI connection it goes to not connected, then reattaching the HDMI cable and it goes back to a full screen with all the HDMI parameters (even if the HDMI switch I am using is unplug from power. It seems like the PACE caches the HDMI information.)

If the HDMI ports on the tv works, it sounds like you got a bad DVR. Lindend may have other advice.

well, i have an upconvert dvd player on the way (which is why i have two hdmi cables)

i'll probably just call mediacom some day and see what happens.
post #565 of 1068 Old 05-31-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

My DVR menus looked different tonight, missing the DVR and VOD options.

When I press myDVR button it pops up a box that says DVR service is unavailable and gives a Mediacom phone number to call (1/2hour on hold before I gave up waiting on Mediacom).

-----------------------------------------------------
Dashboard shows DVR Status as POOR in red color.
Screen 22 DVR STATUS has:
Authorized Yes Enabled No

Drive
0 (system) 332MB 332MB (99%)
0 (media) 5MB 0MB (0%)
1 (media) 493GB 448GB(90%)
1 (gpfs) 4GB 4GB(99%)
0 (reserved) 2GB 2GB(100%)
The internal 160GB drive seems to be missing. I have never seen that before.

23 HDD STATUS
TOTAL SIZE : 2GB
Drive number: 1/2

UPDATE:
Rebooting the box restored HDD STATUS for Drive 1/2 to 158GB and The DVR funtion is working again.
post #566 of 1068 Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Couple things to check.

1. Do other devices work over HDMI to this display (WhatHappend already recommended this).

2. What HDMI cable are you using and how long is it? Certain displays don't work well with long (> 10M) cables.

Linden
post #567 of 1068 Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems inconsistant.

We still have not replicated this as of yet. However, I searched through our bug database and turns out I've seen this problem before (although never in a release that made it to the public). The guide can get into a race condition if the HDD spin up takes too long. We put in a workaround that hides that problem in the EPG. Unfortunately, the fixes that ensure that the drive always spins down seem to have exposed another manifestation of this race condition.

I will keep everyone updated on the investigation as we find out more.

Linden
post #568 of 1068 Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM

...the internet is a wonderful thing; now if I just had more time.

We just swapped our Motorola 6416 for the Pace TDC779X.

The Pace seems better--here is my update (three days use).

(1) The Pace 779X is much MUCH quieter (fan-wise) than the Motorola 6416

(2) The Pace's eSATA port has apparently been activated--we have ordered a 1TB eSATA drive from newegg--
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822101082
...the drive is on the UPS truck now and should arrive any minute

...now I read that the TDC779X will only recognized 750 GB? True?

(3) We have the Pace hooked up video-wise exactly the same way that the Moto was--(a) component out to the component in on a Sony receiver...the receiver's component outs are connected to an Epson HD 16x9 720p front projector; and (b) S-VHS out to the S-VHS in, on a 32 inch Sony 480i 4x3 CRT TV.

The Pace and the Motorola both treat the Epson projector nicely.

But the Sony 4x3 CRT TV does not like the Pace when the Pace (via S-VHS cable) sends it an HD-proportioned (16x9) signal in that the CRT TV shows the entire width of the image...but of course the images are skinnier than they should be. The Motorola, on the other hand, sent, via S-VHS, a signal that the 4x3 CRT Sony TV simply cropped.

(4) The channel guide, with the Pace, spans the entire width of the Epson-generated 1280 image; the Motorola only sent the Epson a channel guide that, I guess, was 640 wide.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and I will report back as to our eSATA experiment.
post #569 of 1068 Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post

(2) The Pace's eSATA port has apparently been activated--we have ordered a 1TB eSATA drive from newegg--
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822101082
...the drive is on the UPS truck now and should arrive any minute

...now I read that the TDC779X will only recognized 750 GB? True?

TRUE (assuming it is the same as the 775 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post13227858), it will only use 750GB of your drive with current firmware ).

Worse news is that the combo USB/ESATA chipsets some drives use cause CRC errors and may be unstable with the PACE DVR. Just a warning since your product lists both ports.
post #570 of 1068 Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM

After three years of reliable service, the hard drive in my 6412 DVR went south, so my cable co. (Armstrong, Medina, OH) replaced the 6412 with a 778. Unfortunately, I got one with a noisy fan bearing, so I'm going to have to exchange it for one that's quiet. Meanwhile, I have it connected to a switched power strip so I can turn the unit off when not in use as the fan noise is just too annoying

It does seem like the HD picture quality is a little bit better than the 6412, and the remote response is a lot better. One small issue I've noticed so far is that my TV reports the aspect ratio of HD signal as being 4:3 even though they display normally as 16:9.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page