Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

That's weird - that's exactly how I have my 778x set up and it saves my settings fine. Sounds like maybe you have a flaky box.

If you're near an Armstrong office they'll let you swap it out yourself if you don't want to wait for a tech to come. That's what I do - and I got a stack of "returned equipment receipts" about 2 inches thick to prove it!

BillKen,

If you are using an A/V receiver inbetween via HDMI, are you getting DD audio?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobydolby View Post

BillKen,

If you are using an A/V receiver inbetween via HDMI, are you getting DD audio?

Thanks.

I am not using an HDMI AVR - sorry. My 778x goes directly into my Pio Elite via Component cables and red/white RCA - and Coax audio out of the Harman/Kardon AVR for when I want surround sound. I'd like to eventually get an HDMI AVR (mainly for extra hdmi jacks) - but we'll see.

~Bill
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I am not using an HDMI AVR - sorry. My 778x goes directly into my Pio Elite via Component cables and red/white RCA - and Coax audio out of the Harman/Kardon AVR for when I want surround sound. I'd like to eventually get an HDMI AVR (mainly for extra hdmi jacks) - but we'll see.

The automatic detection of supported resolutions only applys to an HDMI connection. That is why you're not having the issue.

I would switch to component, but the picture is noticeably better with an HDMI connection on the 778.

DD.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobydolby View Post

The automatic detection of supported resolutions only applys to an HDMI connection. That is why you're not having the issue.

I would switch to component, but the picture is noticeably better with an HDMI connection on the 778.

DD.

Really? I had done a comparison with my 775 and couldn't tell a difference - which is why I just stuck with component on my 778. Very interesting - I may have to try it tonight and see (which means I'll have to get a new receiver or hdmi switch). I'll let you know if the same deal happens to me with my Pio Elite.

~Bill
Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

DD (and Linden) - I did just try HDMI with my 778x and I honestly can't see much (if any) pq difference between it and Component. "Maybe" just a tiny bit better with HDMI in my brief comparison certainly nothing startling with my Pioneer 940 Elite plasma.

Anyway - my settings on the 778x also reverted to 720p only (from having been 1080i, 720p and 480i enabled) once I plugged in the HDMI cable and took the Pace out of standby.

So I'll keep an eye on this thread for a possible fix until I move to HDMI (I just ordered a Monoprice splitter today).

Hopefully Linden will see this and they can get a fix out soon for you DD - I suspect my test has helped to rule out your AVR being the culprit as my 778x was plugged directly into one of the hdmi ports on my Pioneer.

Let me know if you need me to check for anything else Linden.

p.s. - Haven't lost any of my subscription HD channels or the digital 400+ channels for over a week now. *fingers crossed* I think Armstrong just had something boogered up on their end that was causing that.

~Bill
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway - my settings on the 778x also reverted to 720p only (from having been 1080i, 720p and 480i enabled) once I plugged in the HDMI cable and took the Pace out of standby.

So I'll keep an eye on this thread for a possible fix until I move to HDMI (I just ordered a Monoprice splitter today).

Actually, this is expected. When you first plug in an HDMI display, the display reports its preferred and supported resolutions. The first time you plug this in, it will override your current settings. Subsequently, if you modify the output resolutions, they will stick.

DD's problem is that the device's settings are continually overriding his choices (and I'm guessing this is due to some interaction with the receiver). That's why I'd like to see the results without the receiver in the picture (no pun intended).

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I started this thread when I reported that the 779 boxes were indicating a 4:3 aspect ratio in the HDMI stream.

I have 2 779 boxes. I have had to have Service Electric Cable TV (allentown, pa) reboot the boxes 3 times in the last 3 weeks. When a box loses its program I get a message saying "Illegal cable card connection. Service will be restored when a legal cable card is installed" message on the screen. The boxes don't fail simultaneously.

SECTV first sends a "booster signal" (their words) which doesn't work. They then reboot the box which powers it down and 10-15 minutes later all is well. SECTV tells me that other customers have similar problems and they recommend plugging the box into a wall outlet and not using a power strip or surge suppressor.

Dick OKeefe
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post

"Illegal cable card connection. Service will be restored when a legal cable card is installed"

Are you sure it didn't say:

An unsupported CableCARD has been inserted. Video service will be restored when a valid CableCARD is inserted.

Quote:

SECTV tells me that other customers have similar problems and they recommend plugging the box into a wall outlet and not using a power strip or surge suppressor.

How you plug it into the wall is unlikely to help this problem.

If/when this occurs again, please go the Non-portable Host Page inside the Interface Page (21) in diagnostics and capture the following values:

1. Brick Mode
2. ER Bit Errors
3. Transport errors
4. IPC Stalls

Also, can you please go to diagnostics now, select the CableCARD page (09) and tell me what the software version is.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Are you sure it didn't say:

An unsupported CableCARD has been inserted. Video service will be restored when a valid CableCARD is inserted.

How you plug it into the wall is unlikely to help this problem.

If/when this occurs again, please go the Non-portable Host Page inside the Interface Page (21) in diagnostics and capture the following values:

1. Brick Mode
2. ER Bit Errors
3. Transport errors
4. IPC Stalls

Also, can you please go to diagnostics now, select the CableCARD page (09) and tell me what the software version is.

You are correct, thats what the message said.
Please give me some hints on how to get into the diagnostics mode and I'll collect the info for you.

Dick OKeefe
Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Hey Linden,

It's obvious that you are proficient with the tdc779x tahoe, Mcard technology, or so Im assuming that. I was wondering, this could be for anyone for that matter, have you heard of any errors with VOD with the error code of "TM Cable Card Pairing"? This is where the cable system has VOD on the guide as for example channel 500 goes directly to Starz/Encore VOD and or 600 for HBO VOD, etc.... The problem occurs only when the channel is selected. Granted, I can go to menu, VOD, and it works just fine. Cable company has sent numerous signals, but still to no avail. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jhale
Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are correct, thats what the message said.
Please give me some hints on how to get into the diagnostics mode and I'll collect the info for you.

Dick OKeefe

Dick,

Please see post #26 on this thread for instructions on how to get into/out of diags.

Linden
Old 10-06-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jhale,

Please confirm the following:

1. What Cable box you have.
2. Does this only happen on VOD channels?
3. Do you have premium non-VOD channels? If so, what happens?
4. Your cable provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhale View Post

have you heard of any errors with VOD with the error code of "TM Cable Card Pairing"?

Is it a gray dialog that comes up and tells you to call your cable company? If so, what this indicates that your set top box has not be properly authorized to view "high value" content (technically CCI > 0 content for the techno-geeks out there).

Provisioning a CableCARD box requires some additional steps for your Cable company beyond the steps of the old-fashion embedded security boxes. In this case, the CableCARD must be validated with your settop box before it will play "high value" content. Please confirm this is the issue. If it is, ask for the CableCARD to be validated.

Linden
Old 10-06-2007, 07:50 PM

1. What Cable box you have.
tdc779x tahoe

2. Does this only happen on VOD channels? Going through the guide, there is a section for example:

500 Starz Encore VOD
501 Starz East
502 Starz West

600 HBO VOD
601 HBO East
602 HBO West

3. Do you have premium non-VOD channels? If so, what happens?
By pressing Menu, (ON)-Ok, then going into the "Main" VOD menu's it works fine. I can get Starz/Encore Vod, Hbo VOD, etc...

But when I go into the individual channel numbers allocated to VOD, it gives me this error.

4. Your cable provider. Is there anything that I could tell them to do specifically to authorize this card for those individual channels to possibly work?

Is it a gray dialog that comes up and tells you to call your cable company?

No, it is a standard dialog box that says "ERROR - TM Cable Card Pairing" And thats it....I do understand about the not authorized portion

Provisioning a CableCARD box requires some additional steps for your Cable company beyond the steps of the old-fashion embedded security boxes.

The company says it's been provisioned and everything else is working....

BTW, Thank you for all of your help
Old 10-07-2007, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there anything that I could tell them to do specifically to authorize this card for those individual channels to possibly work?

If it were a gray dialog, yes. However, I'm unsure of what you're seeing.

Quote:

No, it is a standard dialog box that says "ERROR - TM Cable Card Pairing" And thats it....I do understand about the not authorized portion

What color is the dialog? Can you provide a screen capture and/or the exact text you see?

Quote:

4. Your cable provider.

Reminder that I need an answer to the name of your cable provider so I know what software you're running

Linden
Old 10-07-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Dick,

Please see post #26 on this thread for instructions on how to get into/out of diags.

OK, Tell me I'm not going crazy. I knew about Power-Menu and I did it once before to get the firmware version the boxes were using (9.0).

However when I press Power-Menu now (on both boxes) I get only the following menu items (the PACE POWER MENU line is a header)

PACE POWER MENU
TV Aspect Capability
TV Display Capability
Auto Pillarbox
Closed Caption
Front Panel Settings
Restore Defaults

That's all I get. What happened?

Dick OKeefe
Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 AM

[quote=oldengineer;11836838]OK, Tell me I'm not going crazy. I knew about Power-Menu and I did it once before to get the firmware version the boxes were using (9.0).

Pardon me for being such a dofus. I'm thinking of changing my screen name.

When I hit Menu-Select I was able to get the info you wanted. Both boxes are the same.

Brick Mode No
ER Bit Errors 0
Transport Errors 0
IPC Stalls 0

From the CableCard page Software version 02.01

Thanks for your patience,

Dick OKeefe
Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brick Mode No
ER Bit Errors 0
Transport Errors 0
IPC Stalls 0

I would expect these values to be 0 until the problem occurs.

Quote:

From the CableCard page Software version 02.01

This is also expected. So far, so good.

If/when the problem occurs, please remember remember to go to diags and capture the info I requested before rebooting the box.

Thanks.

Linden
Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this HD DVR. It's also new to my provider Mediacom.

Mediacom says that they have not enabled 1394 (for capture to a pc) or SATA (for more dvr storage). However, they didn't sound real sure since these DVR's are new to Mediacom.

Are these functions enabled automatically, or can I enable them, or is Mediacom truly in control here?

Thanks, Tim
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim60 View Post

Are these functions enabled automatically, or can I enable them, or is Mediacom truly in control here?
Thanks, Tim

The firmware release used by Mediacom is capable of supporting 1394, SATA and DVR. However, they are correct that they can optionally enable/disable these features on a per user basis.

Based on the posts I've seen on AVS, these ports are/were functional in areas served by Mediacom. Easiest way to confirm is to go into diagnostics and see if the port is enabled in the interface page (21).

Linden
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:

The firmware release used by Mediacom is capable of supporting 1394, SATA and DVR. However, they are correct that they can optionally enable/disable these features on a per user basis.

Based on the posts I've seen on AVS, these ports are/were functional in areas served by Mediacom. Easiest way to confirm is to go into diagnostics and see if the port is enabled in the interface page (21).

Thanks for the info! Both ports are enabled.

Tim
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Linden
This has probably been asked and answered but here goes.. How do I enable the Inputs on the TDC779x i.e. for my dvd player etc... I have every thing connected but the input button does nothing....
Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpty View Post

Linden
This has probably been asked and answered but here goes.. How do I enable the Inputs on the TDC779x i.e. for my dvd player etc... I have every thing connected but the input button does nothing....
Thanks in advance

When you turn off the cablebox, it should pass the signal along to your TV.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

When you turn off the cablebox, it should pass the signal along to your TV.

Nope tried it
Old 10-28-2007, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpty View Post

How do I enable the Inputs on the TDC779x i.e. for my dvd player etc...

Have you turned on the RF Bypass option in TV Guide?

Linden
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 PM

This is for JHale. Your box requires what the billing folks call a CCV or CCR hit. This is entirely do to improperly staging a CableCARD settop box.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. I Have a new Insignia 50" Plasma TV (NS-PDP50). I just received the TDC779X PACE Tahoe box from Mediacom. I tried to connect the PACE set-top to the HDMI/DVI port in the Insignia TV, but the Televesion indicates there is not a signal.

I used the diagnostic menu on the tahoe and looked at the HDMI port and it doesn't think there is a device connected to the HDMI port.

I went out and purchased a cheap (Memorex) DVD player that had the HD upcovert and HDMI output, I hooked it up directly to the TV via the HDMI/DVI port and it works, which leads me to believe either the TV and the PACE are somehow not compatible or something is wrong with the PACES HDMI port. Has anyone experienced this or are there any other diagnostics I can run to give me more information on the HDMI port on the PACE?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rich,

Quote:
Originally Posted by richboyde View Post

are there any other diagnostics I can run to give me more information on the HDMI port on the PACE?

Please see post #26 on this thread for instructions on how to get into diagnostics.

Once in diagnostics, selected interface status (page 21), then HDMI. Once on the HDMI page post all the details (especially HDCP information).

To leave the page, hit the left arrow twice, then press the power button.

Linden
Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM

I did use the Diagnostic menu and went to the HDMI status page and all I received was a single message that says NO HDMI DEVICE FOUND (or something to that affect).
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richboyde View Post

I did use the Diagnostic menu and went to the HDMI status page and all I received was a single message that says NO HDMI DEVICE FOUND (or something to that affect).

I think the first thing we need to rule out is a problem box. Is it possible for you to get another 779 from your cable provider and see if HDMI works?

Linden
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Mediacom is comming tomorrow. I unplugged the box and plugged everything back in .. now when I go to the HDMI status page I see the following:

Device Info
Device Connected 1e 6d 1 0 1 1 1 1
Repeater NO
HDCP Supported NO (dont understand this, tv specifically says supports HDCP)
PREF Resolution 720p
Supp Resolution 480p 720p 1080i
Audio Capable YES ( PCM )
Sampling Rates 32K 44K 48K

A/V Status Video Audio
Enabled YES YES
Mute NO YES

In Video Format 480I
OUT Video FORMAT 1080I
VIDEO CONSTRAINED NONE
AUDIO SAMPLE RATE 32 KHz
AUDIO FORMAT PCM