Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1067 Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

I have seen the menu have different items from time to time. A reboot of the box ussally fixes then menus. They appear to be downloaded from your provider. Have you tried a reboot after they got your DVR options enabled again?

When the customer service rep was pushing sending out a tech (I'm out of town all next week) I finally convinced them to try and reset the box again. All has been well after the 2nd reboot. They were going to call back in 15 minutes to see if it fixed it. Over 2.5 hours later, no call. They did call back after the 1st reboot. I guess I shouldn't care about them leaving my hanging since it's fixed, but it's sort of crappy. I started to voice some displeasure, so they just try to break off communications...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1067 Old 09-13-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman1_1 View Post

When the customer service rep was pushing sending out a tech (I'm out of town all next week) I finally convinced them to try and reset the box again. All has been well after the 2nd reboot. They were going to call back in 15 minutes to see if it fixed it. Over 2.5 hours later, no call. They did call back after the 1st reboot. I guess I shouldn't care about them leaving my hanging since it's fixed, but it's sort of crappy. I started to voice some displeasure, so they just try to break off communications...

Did your recordings come back? You don't need CSR to reboot it, you can reboot yourself via the diag menu.
post #723 of 1067 Old 09-13-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Count is no up to 7588. Can you comment on this?

Its not normal, unless somehow the EPG is constantly spinning the HDD up to update scheduled recordings. We have a back off algorithm in place to spin the HDD down less frequently if the EPG is causing this type of effect, so I don't have an explanation right now.

Quote:

Any comments about that when ever VOD doesn't work that port 36371 is stuck opened. When ever VOD works, all the ports are closed. "Diag menu 13 Interactive info"

Don't know the answer to the question about port #36371. The VOD client is written by the VOD vendor so I can't just look at the code and see if its an obvious bug. I'll check and get back to you.

BTW, we have replicated an issue where the MCard would get reset due to poor signal quality. I suspect this is the same bug you encountered, except when it happened for us, it didn't end up in a reboot loop so I can't say with 100% confidence it will solve you issue. It should be in the next maintenance release. I'll post the details when publicly available.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #724 of 1067 Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting that MAC ABORT CNTR = 6. That is the same value as last time. Is there something special that happens when the count == 6?

In looking through your previous diags posts, MAC ABORT CNTR is always 6. Can you confirm this value isn't six when things are working?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #725 of 1067 Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

In looking through your previous diags posts, MAC ABORT CNTR is always 6. Can you confirm this value isn't six when things are working?

Yes, it is 6 when VOD is working too (or at least it was last night and it worked). What does that value mean? Why is it at 6?
post #726 of 1067 Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

New bug to report.

Last night my remote actions started to be duplicated while in VOD menus or in the guide. Most noticeable on arrow key presses and page +/-.

Note that channel entry is fine, channel up/down is fine, info key is fine.

For the duplicated actions the first action happens quick then 1 second later 1 or 2 more of the same actions happen again. This makes navigating the Guide or doing searches, selecting a recorded show to watch, selecting a VOD program almost impossible.

Using the keys on the face plate of the DVR work fine. I have tried my Harmony remote and the Mediacom remote pn 1056B01 (designed with UEI) and both behave the same way.

I know when the cable card was locked up in the past there were issues with remote control of the DVR. But this time everything else appears to be functioning fine other then the remote having a mind of its own. And when that remote weirdness happened the remote was working weird in the diag menus too, but this time the remote works fine in the diag menus.

Since the front panel controls work fine and the remote works fine in the diag menus, I am assuming that this has to be a PACE bug and not a TV guide or VOD provider issue.

Sitting over night in standby didn't fix this issue. I will reboot. (Rebooting cleared the issue, as expected).

Is this a known issue?
post #727 of 1067 Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it is 6 when VOD is working too (or at least it was last night and it worked). What does that value mean? Why is it at 6?

It just reports a server configuration setting.

We did some checking into the VOD port usage and it is not unexpected for it to be open. Have you ever see it open when VOD was functional?

Linden
post #728 of 1067 Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this a known issue?

No. We've never had a bug report on this issue and I've never see it in our internal testing. You are correct in that the symptoms would rule out TVG being at fault.

Linden
post #729 of 1067 Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It just reports a server configuration setting.

We did some checking into the VOD port usage and it is not unexpected for it to be open. Have you ever see it open when VOD was functional?

Never, if the VOD is functional the port is always closed.
post #730 of 1067 Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM

Lindend,

Please pass this posting to the appropriate Pace management.

Thank you for your continuing concern and assistance.

-----------

9/19/08

To Whom It May Concern.

This is the 5th. month anniversary of my original posting regarding the 778x's problem with "ff" and "rw" tricks on SD and HD content carried on HD encoded cable channels.

Following my posting, I discovered that this issue was not new, but had been complained about previously by other forum members. It was also discovered that the problem apparently wasn't limited to the 778x, and that it affected subscribers of multiple cable systems. As such, it is impossible to estimate how long Pace has known about the problem, and how many Pace STB users are affected by it.

I would think that 5+ months would be more than adequate to resolve this issue.

However, there has been no apparent progress on resolving this widespread and well-documented problem. There have been a couple of postings regarding beta testing possible solutions, but the problem persists, and there is no end in sight.

Without a solution, Pace continues to deliver defective products to it's customers, the numerous cable systems that use the affected Pace products, and ultimately to the cable companies' subscribers. These are products that Pace knows have been, and continue to be defective when used in the cable enviroment for which they should have been designed.

The issue has been described as being related to problems with the time code transmitted by the cable companies. But even if true, it becomes an excuse which attempts to deflect the responsibility from Pace to the cable operators.

Time code inconsistencies shouldn't have been a surprise to Pace if its testing protocols adequately reflected the real-world environments in which the STB's would be used.

This situation has now transitioned from an annoyance we have been asked to tolerate, to an intolerable, well-documented, widespread defect which affects untold thousands of Pace users. We are being asked to continue to accept the unacceptable, while we continue to pay our cable companies for these flawed products.

Pardon the frankness, but enough is enough. Pace shouldn't permit itself to continue this disrespect of its customers and users.

We need a positive resolution, and we need it sooner than later. To not supply a solution reflects unfavorably on Pace, and is intolerable, if not actionable.

Please advise when we, the numerous Pace 778x and other affected users, will have a solution available, either through a software update or replacement STB's that function as promised.

This is not a time for a simplistic, "We're working on it, but it's hard." or, "It's not our fault." or, "We're still beta testing." After this amount of time, there can be no delays or excuses.

This is time for a prompt and constructive reply which includes acceptance of the responsibility for the problem, an apology to all the users who have been affected by it, and a detailed solution and timetable for resolution of the issue.

On behalf of all those Pace users who have been unfairly asked to continue to put up with this and numerous other problems, while we continue to pay for defective services, thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

For myself and all the other affected Pace users,

HDjunkie03
post #731 of 1067 Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Liked: 12
Do other digital cable TV boxes have this problem?

While I agree it's a problem, it's not a gigantic problem for me. One minor annoyance I have is when you fall asleep near the end of a long movie and there's no fast way to zip to the end of the movie and reverse. You have to fast forward all the way.
post #732 of 1067 Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 PM

I have a Pace DVR - Model # TDC778X (manufactured March, 2008). How can I find out what size is its hard drive (ie., 80GB, 120GB, 160Gb)? I asked when I picked it up from my cable provider (Buckeye CableSystem) but they didn't know. They said -however- that it could record about 50 hours of Hi-Def TV. Does this sound about right? Thanks.
post #733 of 1067 Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1 View Post

I have a Pace DVR - Model # TDC778X (manufactured March, 2008). How can I find out what size is its hard drive (ie., 80GB, 120GB, 160Gb)? I asked when I picked it up from my cable provider (Buckeye CableSystem) but they didn't know. They said -however- that it could record about 50 hours of Hi-Def TV. Does this sound about right? Thanks.

It's 160gb.

~Bill
post #734 of 1067 Old 09-21-2008, 03:35 PM

lindend,

ive read the posts about the pace 779x (Pace CableCARD HD Boxes (TDC779X, TDC778X and DC757X)) box but im having a different problem than whats mentioned.
i originally had the moto 6412 (i think) and it had only a dvi output. now that i have the pace 779x, it only has a hmdi output. actually, ive had this box for just over 1 year and i tried then with a hmdi cable and hdmi/dvi adaptor but to no avail. it would just show the pic for a moment or two then go black. i just thought that it may have something to do with the hdcp or some kind of conversion error between the cable and adaptor at the time. so i returned the cable and adaptor and just went with component.
but now i found a single cable that has hdmi on one end and dvi on the other so i thought this may fix the problem if the problem with the conversion since its now just one cable. cant paste the link since i do not have so many posts but its at monoprice dot com, the PID (Part ID) is 2284.
however, now with this cable, when i plug it in the box locks up. i cant even get to the diag screen if it is plugged in...even when i have the components still in. (or out)
if the box and tv are on and i plug the hdmi/dvi cable in, the screen goes black...while the component are still in.
if the box is off and i plug in the hdmi/dvi cable, the box will not respond to any commands...whether or not i have the components in or out.
whenever i remove the cable, everything is ok but this way i cant get to the hdmi status diag page.
all resolutions are set to yes. ie 480i=yes, etc.
i did read where you have come across some probs with 10ft+ cables but this cable seems awefully good/thick. ive purchased other cable from monoprice and had had excellent results so in my opinion, the cable isnt the problem.
please let me know what measures i can take in order to correct this when you have a few minutes.
also, i couldnt find these values:
1. Brick Mode
2. ER Bit Errors
3. Transport errors
4. IPC Stalls
lastly, i couldnt get the reset that you mentioned in one of the posts...to press and hold info and select keys while at the main diag screen. it just acts as if i was pressing the select key and displays whichever parameter im on.

thanks in advance,
sniperskip
post #735 of 1067 Old 09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi Linden,

Has there been any headway recently on the previously mentioned discrete codes for the Tahoe 778?

I remember there seemed to be some interest in having the ability to switch Closed Captions on/off via a discrete code in our remotes vs. having to press the Power/Menu buttons on the box and then have to navigate through the menus to turn it on and off.

Thanks for any updates.

Bill

~Bill
post #736 of 1067 Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDjunkie03 View Post

On behalf of all those Pace users who have been unfairly asked to continue to put up with this and numerous other problems, while we continue to pay for defective services, thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

For myself and all the other affected Pace users,

HDjunkie03

Just wanted to second what HDjunkie said. We have had the ff problem for almost a year I believe and we have lately had a problem with the box "blipping" (audio and video cut out for 2-3 seconds, come back on for ~10 seconds, cut off, come back, etc until the box is reset) anytime we're watching or recording something in HD, particularly after about 9pm (although it does happen at other times). This is the second box to do this.

I've had Mediacom out here to look at it and they can't seem to get it straight.

We've pretty much decided to switch to satellite over this box (since our local Mediacom office apparently doesn't carry anything but these Pace boxes). My wife wants to find an open field and go "Office Space" printer crazy on this box. I'm not too far off myself.
post #737 of 1067 Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperskip View Post

when i plug it in the box locks up.

Could you please post the type of DVI display that you are using? My guess based on your symptoms is a software bug in the 779 handling legacy EDID from the DVI monitor.

Linden
post #738 of 1067 Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

I remember there seemed to be some interest in having the ability to switch Closed Captions on/off via a discrete code in our remotes vs. having to press the Power/Menu buttons on the box and then have to navigate through the menus to turn it on and off.

As I mentioned via PM, we have not started the implementation of the discrete codes yet since we were waiting for everyone to finalize what codes they wanted supported. Therefore, to draw this process to a close, if you want a discrete code for something, please post by 12PM EST on Sunday, October 4, 2008.

At that point, I'll tabulate all the requests and let you know which ones made the cut.

Linden
post #739 of 1067 Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We tried a Free Agent Pro 500Gb on that firmware release and it worked without incident (albiet CRC errors still were present). So this issue isn't a matter of the release not being compatible with that drive.

I went back a week-ago to experiment some more with the Free Agent Pro. I finally got the drive to work again by taking it to a windows PC and formating it. Then the next time I attached it to the DVR and powered up it formated it and it worked again. So the contents of the drive (which had shows on it, I never had a chance to watch), was causing the PACE DVR to not detect it. It didn't show up in the Diag Drives screen or Diag Dvr screen.

Is there something about the 10.60 FW update that updated the attached drive but if another drive was filled with 9.58 it becomes unusable with 10.60? Maybe the files system was updated in 10.60?

Is the next release of software going to support HDD > 750GB?

This was a test only. I like the way the Vantec enclosure with Seagate HDD works with recording 2 HD shows and watching a 3rd recorded HD show better than the FreeAgent.
post #740 of 1067 Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the contents of the drive (which ad shows on it I never had a chance to watch), was causing the PACE DVR to not detect it. It didn't show up in the Diag Drives screen or Diag Dvr screen.

Odd.

Quote:

Is there something about the 10.60 FW update that updated the attached drive but if another drive was filled with 9.58 it becomes unusable with 10.60? Maybe the files system was updated in 10.60?

There were some changes in that area, but they should have been 100% backwards compatible. We'll retest upgrading from 9.58 to 10.60 with the Seagate and see if we can replicate. Excellent find. Thanks.

Quote:

Is the next release of software going to support HDD > 750GB?

We've been testing a 1TB+ fix for several weeks now, but there are a lot of backwards compatibility scenarios to test so I can't tell you if/when it will be in an official release. Will keep everyone updated.

Linden
post #741 of 1067 Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I was watching a HD recording with DD5.1 sound and one tuner was recording a HD program and the other tuner was paused on a SD program. The the hour changed and two new recording started on Tuner1 and Tuner2 (both HD), the sound cut out on the recording I was watching. Pressing RR and play restored the audio.

- Setup DVR system with DD5.1 audio over HDMI
- Schedule 2 HD at the top of the hour.
- Record a current HD show Tuner 2 (that ends at the hour),
- Pause SD (don't know if SD is important) show Tuner 1,
- 10 min to the hour
- Start play back of a recorded HD show.
- When the two shows start recording the DD5.1 audio stops.
post #742 of 1067 Old 09-26-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Could you please post the type of DVI display that you are using? My guess based on your symptoms is a software bug in the 779 handling legacy EDID from the DVI monitor.

Its a Sony KP-57WV700, it was purchased in '02. Still a great tv after being calibrated.
post #743 of 1067 Old 09-27-2008, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Set tuner 1 on a tunable channel.
Set tuner 2 on a digital channel you are not authorized to receive.
Turn off DVR.
Turn on DVR.
Press tuner swap.

Popup message "Unable to Process Request, To autorhize this feature, please call Customer Service at 800-332-0245. Code NOAU.

Pressing enter on the "return arrow" will not remove message box. User must press exit to remove message box.

Power on/off will not restore 2 tuner operation.
Reboot will restore 2 tuner operation (after long wait for reboot).

Version 10.60 bug with external HDD will restore 2 tuner operation. The bug puts both tuners on channel 1 VOD channel when waking from standby, so the swap feature will work again. (But you have to wait for HDD to go to sleep).

Setting two recordings on two different channels will restore 2 tuner operation. (this is the fastest way to restore 2nd tuner. You can then cancel the recordings to go about regular TV watching.)

Lindend, Is this issue in the bug database yet? What does the NOAU code mean?
post #744 of 1067 Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There were some changes in that area, but they should have been 100% backwards compatible. We'll retest upgrading from 9.58 to 10.60 with the Seagate and see if we can replicate. Excellent find. Thanks.

Just so you are clear, the exact test would be:
- Have the Seagate connected with 9.58 and shows recorded on it.
- Connect different drive (drive2) and continue to record more shows.
- Upgrade to 10.60 with drive2 attached.
- Record and delete some shows with drive2 on 10.60.
- Try to reattached the Seagate with its shows recorded from 9.58.
post #745 of 1067 Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM

I just got a Pace TDC778X and I'm having the problem mentioned in this forum with it jumping back to the starting point when hitting play after fast forwarding/reversing (note - this happens about 1 in 5 times).
I have the option with my cable company of getting a Motorola DCH3416 instead. Does it have the same problem? (I haven't found any info that it does).
If you have a choice between the two - which would you pick?
- Thanks -
post #746 of 1067 Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM

I have Pace model TDC778X. In the settings menu for "TV Disply Capability", the 720P setting is not enabled. I have a TV which is 1080P. Is there any advantage to also having it enabled? (note: this would mean that 480i/480p/720p & 1080i all would be enabled).
If I do this, does it mean that a program will be shown in the display format that it's signal is being broadcast (such as NBC-HD=1080i/Fox-HD=720p) without it being converted by the DVR?
- Thanks -
post #747 of 1067 Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM

lindend - add another vote to have a discrete code for Closed Captioning (CC). -thx-
post #748 of 1067 Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have Pace model TDC778X. In the settings menu for "TV Disply Capability", the 720P setting is not enabled. I have a TV which is 1080P. Is there any advantage to also having it enabled? (note: this would mean that 480i/480p/720p & 1080i all would be enabled).
If I do this, does it mean that a program will be shown in the display format that it's signal is being broadcast (such as NBC-HD=1080i/Fox-HD=720p) without it being converted by the DVR?
- Thanks -

Yes enabling all option means send the broadcast signal unaltered and let your display provide the best conversion algorithm to create the best picture.

The benefit is that sports on FOX and ABC (720p) stations will be smoother on a 1080p or 720p television. For the DVR to fit 720p to 1080i it has to through away half of the frames so the motion is choppier.

The disadvantage is that most TV take longer to sync when the HDMI signal changes from 720p to 1080i on a channel change. So channel change time is slowed but image quality is improved.
post #749 of 1067 Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got a Pace TDC778X and I'm having the problem mentioned in this forum with it jumping back to the starting point when hitting play after fast forwarding/reversing (note - this happens about 1 in 5 times).
I have the option with my cable company of getting a Motorola DCH3416 instead. Does it have the same problem? (I haven't found any info that it does).
If you have a choice between the two - which would you pick?
- Thanks -

That is only a PACE issue. What firmware do you have? After 10.60 came out this doesn't happen very often to me any longer.
post #750 of 1067 Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM

How do I find out what firmware version I have?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page