Options? Other than cable units, what are the HD-based HDTV DVRs options out there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have quickly scanned these forums, and other than Tivo Series 3 (and the discontinued Sony) there are no HD-based HDTV PVRs, are there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodory View Post

Have quickly scanned these forums, and other than Tivo Series 3 (and the discontinued Sony) there are no HD-based HDTV PVRs, are there?

There are a number of PC/Mac based options, such as the eyeTV or MythTV. With some of the more recent FCC mandated developments, you should be able to pick up any OCAP compatible STB, but I have not heard of anyone successfully doing so.

Ted
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

There is also the $250-$299 TivoHD with dual tuners.

There are a few Vista-based HDTV DVRs with the ability to record digital cable channels using a CableCard. These products start at about $1200 for a single-tuners and run up to $2000 with dual tuners. You cannot build one of these yourself because the CableCard device is not sold separately.

The Eye and MythTV PC solutions work well for locals, if that is all you want to record, but they cannot record much in the way of cable HD, which is generally encrypted.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
dhodory - I've done the same research as you and come up with the same results. Even the DVD-Recorders with Digital Tuners built in only record in Standard Definition.

I'm not about to put a computer to use to record HDTV, because I do intense data analysis on my PC and my co-workers with new dual core chips with 10,000 RPM hard drives miss frame after frame when recording (of course they were probably playing the latest game at the time, but that's the point - a computer can't do two intensive applications at the same time).

So I'm now waiting for a Blu-Ray recorder to hit the market. Sometime in 2008 is when I'm expecting them to arrive because Sony just released 4 Blu-Ray recorders in Japan.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #5 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

dhodory - I've done the same research as you and come up with the same results. Even the DVD-Recorders with Digital Tuners built in only record in Standard Definition.

I'm not about to put a computer to use to record HDTV, because I do intense data analysis on my PC and my co-workers with new dual core chips with 10,000 RPM hard drives miss frame after frame when recording (of course they were probably playing the latest game at the time, but that's the point - a computer can't do two intensive applications at the same time).

So I'm now waiting for a Blu-Ray recorder to hit the market. Sometime in 2008 is when I'm expecting them to arrive because Sony just released 4 Blu-Ray recorders in Japan.

Bummer. Certainly a BD or HD DVD recorder would be nice, but I guess I'm a little spoiled by my ReplayTVs . . . having tons of storage is nice, and having paid the one time, lifetime fees for them is also very nice. At this point, the only real obstacle holding me back from buying a TivoHD is not being able to purchase lifetime guide data. I am not a fan of paying out a perpetuity to anyone for any reason, especially for guide data, so I guess I'm kinda' stuck for the time being, or until I invest in a HTPC.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Bummer. Certainly a BD or HD DVD recorder would be nice, but I guess I'm a little spoiled by my ReplayTVs . . . having tons of storage is nice, and having paid the one time, lifetime fees for them is also very nice. At this point, the only real obstacle holding me back from buying a TivoHD is not being able to purchase lifetime guide data. I am not a fan of paying out a perpetuity to anyone for any reason, especially for guide data, so I guess I'm kinda' stuck for the time being, or until I invest in a HTPC.

I agree. I was all ready to buy the Tivo3 for almost $800 when I found out I need to pay $17/month for the guide data. If they had a one-time $200 charge for the guide data I'd do it, but I will not incur a monthly bill for perpetuity.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

With the Tivo 3 and TivoHD you can do a 3 year one time guide payment option.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The date for the 4 new Blu-ray recorders is 8 Nov 07. They all have hard drive in them. Are you sure these are only for the Japan market? The posting I saw had a dollar price for them.

Rick R
post #9 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

The date for the 4 new Blu-ray recorders is 8 Nov 07. They all have hard drive in them. Are you sure these are only for the Japan market?

Yes.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Liked: 12
I just purchased the new Tivo HD. I have a Tivo Series 1 and was a lifetime plan owner.

This qualifies me for a $6 rebates / month

so with a 3 yr contract I can pay $12.95 - 6 = $6.95/month.

At first I am keeping my Cable DVR, and using an OTA but when Fios comes to town, which should be within 6 mos or so I will expand the hard-drive, drop the DVR and get two cable cards.

I've had the SA8300HD for nearly 4 years now, and I am looking forward to watching HD on Tivo once again.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

I just purchased the new Tivo HD. I have a Tivo Series 1 and was a lifetime plan owner.

This qualifies me for a $6 rebates / month

so with a 3 yr contract I can pay $12.95 - 6 = $6.95/month.

At first I am keeping my Cable DVR, and using an OTA but when Fios comes to town, which should be within 6 mos or so I will expand the hard-drive, drop the DVR and get two cable cards.

I've had the SA8300HD for nearly 4 years now, and I am looking forward to watching HD on Tivo once again.

Wow! You must have been in an early adopter cable system. We didn't get the 8000HD until fall of 2004 in Raleigh. The 8300HD didn't show up until well after that, like 12-18 months. When I saw how bad the 8000HD was is when I decided to give up temporarily on HD until the cable/satellite systems got their acts together. I now have had HD since 2005, but I am still waiting for someone to do it all right.

Ted
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page