JVC HM-DH30000 US version.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2001, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wonder if this HD-VCR is already available in US. I've seen it listed on some online retailer for prices as low as 1200.00. Is it really available now ? Also, when I read the specs in the JVC website I noticed that next to the firewire inputs description there is a " DV camcorder input only". Does it mean that this machine will not accept firewire input from a satellite receiver that eventually will also come with firewire output? There is no mention that a recorded material through firewire will be output through the components without degradation but the ads that I have seen make me understand that a display with firewire input is not necessary.
I appreciate any comments on this.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2001, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ECOST says they'll have them in a few weeks (you know how that goes...).

Cheers,
Peter M

PS: Search under "30000" for a faq someone had posted, it may answer your question about tje firewire connection.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally posted by slimoli
I wonder if this HD-VCR is already available in US. I've seen it listed on some online retailer for prices as low as 1200.00. Is it really available now ? Also, when I read the specs in the JVC website I noticed that next to the firewire inputs description there is a " DV camcorder input only". Does it mean that this machine will not accept firewire input from a satellite receiver that eventually will also come with firewire output? There is no mention that a recorded material through firewire will be output through the components without degradation but the ads that I have seen make me understand that a display with firewire input is not necessary.
I appreciate any comments on this.
The entire user's guide for this device is available at JVC's site online, here. To answer your question, it can make recordings of HD content from a 1394 source, of which there are currently very few--a few shipping Mitsubishi 2002 HD RPTVs with 1394 connectors whose internal ATSC tuners can be used as video sources and a few cable STBs, in very limited deployment. Echostar is promising that their next wave of STBs will have such connections, but it's uncertain when they will be available.

Mitsubishi is also offering an HD VCR at half this one's list price, but unlike Mitsubishi's, JVC's deck incorporates a built-in MPEG-2 decoder and HD component video outputs. It can therefore display any HD D-VHS tape that contains non-copy-protected content in full HD through those analog outputs and copy-protected ones as a "constrained image" (reduced to about 1/4 1080i's image detail). Mitsubishi's deck can only record and play back HD through its 1394 connections.

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 11-07-2001, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I understand the 30000 already comes with a HD tuner, so what would be the point in recording from the Mitsu tuner?

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 11-07-2001, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally posted by slimoli
I understand the 30000 already comes with a HD tuner, so what would be the point in recording from the Mitsu tuner?
Your understanding is wrong. Both it and the Mitsubishi D-VHS deck come with NTSC tuners, for recording in S-VHS mode, but neither incorporates an HDTV tuner of any kind.

Given the general lack of 1394 sources of HD video for these recorders, several people in these forums have asked "what good are they"? See Ken H's "JVC's comments on 30000 recording sources" thread, in this forum.

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill