post #271 of 650 Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

I find that if you press skip forward in quick succession, then it skips forward by greater amount in these successive presses of the button. If you wait for some seconds between the pressing of the button, then the skip amount resets to 30 sec.

Hmmm....I do not see that. I just tested with recordings of Fringe and Dollhouse where Fox tells you it will be 60 or 90 seconds. It appears to be consistently 30 seconds on every skip for me.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 650 Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Identify a place in the recording (like a change of scene). Don't pause the playback, keep it playing.

Skip forward one. How many immediate skip back gets you back to the original place?

Now, ship forward twice in rapid succession. How many immediate skip backs gets you back to the original place in the recording?

Repeat with 3 rapid skip-forwards. How many skip-backwards does it take to get back?

In my case, the number of skip-backs keep increasing non-linearly.
post #273 of 650 Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Tried this procedure this morning. It wasn't exact, but the skip-backs were multiples of 3:

1 Skip-forward = 3 skip-backs
3 Skip-forwards = 9 skip-backs

The skip-backs might miss by a second or 2. I imagine this has something to do with reference frames. Are you running L617? That is the latest software. Press "Menu" twice on the remote to find out.

Ted
post #274 of 650 Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have L617. I have not been able to pin down the behavior in any repeatable systematic way. Generally, it behaves as 1 Skip-forward = 3 skip-backs nut somehow the rapidity of pressing the buttons has an effect.

No big deal. Gotta move on if there is no user control over the functioning of these buttons.
post #275 of 650 Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to do a "CHKDSK" for the drive in the 722?

On occasion, a 1 hr recording terminates abruptly on playback. The information bar shows 1:00 remaining at the beginning, but when playing back (at normal speed or high speed), the playback gets terminated after say 10 minutes. As if the 722 encountered an unexpected end-of-file or something. I am wondering if the drive is getting corrupted.

How do I check the drive's health?
post #276 of 650 Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

There is no way to force a fsck (unix equivalent of a chkdsk). However, you can check to see if there were any errors on the last one by going to:

Menu -> System Setup -> Diagnostics

Then select "Counters." Use the Page Down until you get to Hard Drive Counters. Fsck is number 7. If there is a problem with your drive, you should see something other than 0 in 9 through 13.

Ted
post #277 of 650 Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM

Liked: 10
Kinda of an urgent question since the install is tomorrow. Here is what I would like to do but not sure if it is possible. I am not sure what exact models I am getting but I ordered two tuners for Dish. Each is supposed to have HDTV and a second tuner. One of the HD boxes will have a DVR so it's probabl the 722. The other will not. I am getting a four room setup but only have 3 TV's. Two ar HD and one is SD. In a perfect workd I want the HD/DVR in room 1 driving th ebigger HDTV. I would like the non DVR box in room 2 driving the smaller HDTV and also the thrird SDTV in room 3. This is simple. The complex part is that I want to watch recorded shows from the DVR in room 1 on the HDTV in room 2. I think this would have to be in SD mode on the HDTV in room 2 would would be fine. I don't record a lot and don't watch a lot of recorded stuff in room 2 but want the possibility if I can. Can the 722 be hooked up to do this? My smaller HDTV has HDMI from an A/V receiver but for the recorded parts I could use another input - even cable.
post #278 of 650 Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM

You can run coax from the DVR to the second room. You could even split the coax coming out of the DVR and distribute it to more than one TV if you want. If you still want HD on the second TV, you would have to run HDMI or Component to it for the most part. The other possibility may be to use an exterernal HDD and physically move it from room to room. I'm not sure if they work with non-DVRs though.
post #279 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Nice thread.

I've been a Dish customer for a while, but this is the first time I've had a DVR and I'm very pleased/impressed. Now that I have a DVR, I actually cancelled my Netflix subscription because I have too much programming to watch and not enough time for both.

My 722 has, pretty much, been flawless for the last couple of months, but, for the first time, I started watching a recorded program and a few minutes into it, it skips to the end of the recording and ends playback. The display shows it's a one hour and three minute program, so I imagine something got corrupted. I reviewed the Hard Drive Counters in the Diagnostics section, but all appears fine. Is there any way to fix this corruption and get this recording to play back properly?

Thanksand enjoy the 722 guys.
post #280 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkAVSF View Post

Nice thread.

The display shows it's a one hour and three minute program, so I imagine something got corrupted. I reviewed the Hard Drive Counters in the Diagnostics section, but all appears fine. Is there any way to fix this corruption and get this recording to play back properly?

I've seen this behavior before (last night, for example in Battlestar Galactica on my VIP622). It got to the last 16 minutes and would skip to the end. This usually happens when you start watching a recorded program before it finishes recording. The way to see the end is to start watching a different recorded program for just a second, and then come back to the program that you are having trouble with, fast forward to the portion that wouldn't play and continue watching. It's a pain in the butt, but it is viewable.

When this happens, you normally only miss the last little bit of the show. My 16 minutes last night was the largest and most obvious jump that I have ever witnessed. Nonetheless, the information is their you just have to "reset" the DVR by loading up a different show and reloading the show having trouble.
post #281 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostriderTx View Post

Kinda of an urgent question since the install is tomorrow. Here is what I would like to do but not sure if it is possible. I am not sure what exact models I am getting but I ordered two tuners for Dish. Each is supposed to have HDTV and a second tuner. One of the HD boxes will have a DVR so it's probabl the 722. The other will not. I am getting a four room setup but only have 3 TV's. Two ar HD and one is SD. In a perfect workd I want the HD/DVR in room 1 driving th ebigger HDTV. I would like the non DVR box in room 2 driving the smaller HDTV and also the thrird SDTV in room 3. This is simple. The complex part is that I want to watch recorded shows from the DVR in room 1 on the HDTV in room 2. I think this would have to be in SD mode on the HDTV in room 2 would would be fine. I don't record a lot and don't watch a lot of recorded stuff in room 2 but want the possibility if I can. Can the 722 be hooked up to do this? My smaller HDTV has HDMI from an A/V receiver but for the recorded parts I could use another input - even cable.

Until yesterday, I had a similar configuration to what you are describing. Originally, I had one VIP622 and one DVR625. DISHnetwork would only allow you to get one HD DVR in a 4 room setup for their introductory price. I only had one HDTV so all was good. Later, I put another HDTV in the bedroom, and wanted to watch HD stuff recorded on the VIP622 there. So, I have a VIP622 that goes (HDMI) to my main TV in the living room, and then runs component to the HDTV in my bedroom so that I can watch shows taped on the DVR in the bedroom. It meant, though, that I had to watch the same HDTV stuff in both rooms, as the HDMI and component outputs the same TV1 programming.
I control that DVR from the bedroom via a "Next Generation" rf remote control extender ($25 from Amazon). Anyway, so far so good.

Since I virtually never watch anything SD anymore,and since I got tired of having to watch the same HD show in the BR as LR when my Mother in law was staying over, I decided that I wanted to go with TurboHD bronze and dump the classic SD stuff, and get another HDDVR. I purchased a second Vip622 from ebay ($150 shipped), sent back the DVR625, and now I have one HD DVR hooked to the living room TV, and one hooked to the bedroom TV, and the SD outputs feed SD TVs in the other rooms around the house. I still have the component-out from the Living Room VIP622 going to the bedroom, though, so that I can watch recorded shows recorded on that DVR in the bedroom.
post #282 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeck View Post

I've seen this behavior before (last night, for example in Battlestar Galactica on my VIP622). It got to the last 16 minutes and would skip to the end. This usually happens when you start watching a recorded program before it finishes recording. The way to see the end is to start watching a different recorded program for just a second, and then come back to the program that you are having trouble with, fast forward to the portion that wouldn't play and continue watching. It's a pain in the butt, but it is viewable.

When this happens, you normally only miss the last little bit of the show. My 16 minutes last night was the largest and most obvious jump that I have ever witnessed. Nonetheless, the information is their you just have to "reset" the DVR by loading up a different show and reloading the show having trouble.

Thanks for sharing your experience, but I just tried this and it didn't work for me. Following your steps, I starting watching a known good recording, clicked DVR, My Recordings and started watching the corrupted one, but the problem persists. Also, FWIW, I never watched the corrupted recorded program before.
post #283 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience, but I just tried this and it didn't work for me. Following your steps, I starting watching a known good recording, clicked DVR, My Recordings and started watching the corrupted one, but the problem persists. Also, FWIW, I never watched the corrupted recorded program before.

Another thing that can happen is that if you are taping two shows in a row, and you are set up to start taping a minute or two beforehand, then the end of one show will be on the beginning of the following show.
post #284 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeck View Post

Another thing that can happen is that if you are taping two shows in a row, and you are set up to start taping a minute or two beforehand, then the end of one show will be on the beginning of the following show.

Yes, I've seen this happen, but this is not the case here.
post #285 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice thread.

I've been a Dish customer for a while, but this is the first time I've had a DVR and I'm very pleased/impressed. Now that I have a DVR, I actually cancelled my Netflix subscription because I have too much programming to watch and not enough time for both.

My 722 has, pretty much, been flawless for the last couple of months, but, for the first time, I started watching a recorded program and a few minutes into it, it skips to the end of the recording and ends playback. The display shows it's a one hour and three minute program, so I imagine something got corrupted. I reviewed the Hard Drive Counters in the Diagnostics section, but all appears fine. Is there any way to fix this corruption and get this recording to play back properly?

Happened to me (see post # 275). No answers.
post #286 of 650 Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Has DTV's HD recorder gotten any better?
post #287 of 650 Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westview758 View Post

Has DTV's HD recorder gotten any better?

Better than what? The user-interface and remote control has not changed in years...
post #288 of 650 Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM

hey does anybody know if you could take a hard drive from one dead 722 and put it in a new one?, I'm trying to save my recordings from the dead one,
thanks
post #289 of 650 Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by putty10 View Post

hey does anybody know if you could take a hard drive from one dead 722 and put it in a new one?, I'm trying to save my recordings from the dead one,
thanks

This should not work from what I understand. The recordings are keyed to the receiver. The one exception I can think of where this might work is if you happen to have purchased the USB hard drive option. In that case, your recordings would have a household ID associated with them which allow them to be moved from one receiver to another. In that case, what you propose might work, but no guarantees.

Ted
post #290 of 650 Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

This should not work from what I understand. The recordings are keyed to the receiver. The one exception I can think of where this might work is if you happen to have purchased the USB hard drive option. In that case, your recordings would have a household ID associated with them which allow them to be moved from one receiver to another. In that case, what you propose might work, but no guarantees.

Ted

Does anyone know what part in the DVR holds the key?
Is it a ROM or a board that can be swapped with the good unit (assuming that board isn't what failed)?

Ride the Music
post #291 of 650 Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post

Does anyone know what part in the DVR holds the key?
Is it a ROM or a board that can be swapped with the good unit (assuming that board isn't what failed)?

Sorry, no idea.

Ted
post #292 of 650 Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Lost all sound while playing back a recording. The image first broke up (became blocky) then the sound was gone, for recordings and live channels.

I had to reset (press down the Power button) to get the sound back.

Any idea what happened and why?
post #293 of 650 Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM

I was not too happy that the 722 did not record any of my one time scheduled recordings that I set up before the time change last weekend. None of these recorded after the time change.
post #294 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lost all sound while playing back a recording. The image first broke up (became blocky) then the sound was gone, for recordings and live channels.

I had to reset (press down the Power button) to get the sound back.

Any idea what happened and why?

What software version are you running? Press "Menu" twice on the remote, and then report the first 4 characters of the Software Version.

Ted
post #295 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post

I was not too happy that the 722 did not record any of my one time scheduled recordings that I set up before the time change last weekend. None of these recorded after the time change.

That is odd. Were they name-based recordings or time-based? I had some one-time timers set which were name-based which recorded fine.

Ted
post #296 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM

I am having issues with a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen. This is only occurring on 722 dvr content. In particular all of the HD content. The install was just two days ago and I am trying to determine if anyone has seen anything like this. The 722 is connected via component video to a Denon 2808 and trasmitted to a Sony 52W4100 via HDMI.

Any thoughts?
post #297 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what software version are you running? Press "menu" twice on the remote, and then report the first 4 characters of the software version.
Ted

l617rjqb-n
post #298 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

l617rjqb-n

L618 is seeding now. When you get updated it may fix this problem.

Ted
post #299 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavorslc View Post

I am having issues with a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen. This is only occurring on 722 dvr content. In particular all of the HD content. The install was just two days ago and I am trying to determine if anyone has seen anything like this. The 722 is connected via component video to a Denon 2808 and trasmitted to a Sony 52W4100 via HDMI.

Any thoughts?

So, your Denon is converting your component output to HDMI? Are there any settings on the receiver to adjust picture offset? Generally, going from A to D or D to A, there should be some adjustment necessary.

Ted
post #300 of 650 Old 03-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

That is odd. Were they name-based recordings or time-based? I had some one-time timers set which were name-based which recorded fine.

Ted

They were name based one time recordings.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page