AVS Forum banner

Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market!

134K views 652 replies 147 participants last post by  TheKrell 
#1 ·
I switched to Dish Network this past week, and I really like the new ViP722 DVR! I am a former DirecTV/Tivo owner and I am very impressed with the new Dish DVR. Not only is it very fast, but it also has an enabled USB port that supports external hard drives up to 750GB. Unlimited HD storage! Can't beat it! I believe this is currently the best HD DVR on the market.

See less See more
#377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchest7 /forum/post/17810564

My 2 year contract with dish ends in May, and I'll own the 722 to keep because it will be all paid for. Will I be able to use the 722 as a DVR for OTA channels without having a subscription to DISH? I have looked around, but couldn't find the answer.

Just because your contract is up does not mean you own the 722. Unless you paid for it upfront, you are just leasing it and it must be returned if your contract expires.

It will not work without a contract for OTA only.

#378 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/17810593

Just because your contract is up does not mean you own the 722. Unless you paid for it upfront, you are just leasing it and it must be returned if your contract expires.

It will not work without a contract for OTA only.

No, over the course of two years, the DVR is paid for according to the Dish installer. If I were to cancel Dish before the two year contract ends, then I would have to return the DVR according to what he said. Anyways, if it will not work without a contract for OTA only, what will it work for? I think you are saying that it won't work at all, but need some clarification.

#379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchest7 /forum/post/17810642

No, over the course of two years, the DVR is paid for according to the Dish installer. If I were to cancel Dish before the two year contract ends, then I would have to return the DVR according to what he said.

Dish Network and DirecTV both maintain ownership, although they rarely ask customers to return the DVR after two years. But per your subscriber agreement, they could ask you to return the DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchest7 /forum/post/17810642

Anyways, if it will not work without a contract for OTA only, what will it work for? I think you are saying that it won't work at all, but need some clarification.

Dish Network and DirecTV DVRs do not function at all without a satellite subscription. DVR functionality is not available unless you pay the DVR fee.

#380 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/17810694

Dish Network and DirecTV both maintain ownership, although they rarely ask customers to return the DVR after two years. But per your subscriber agreement, they could ask you to return the DVR.

Dish Network and DirecTV DVRs do not function at all without a satellite subscription. DVR functionality is not available unless you pay the DVR fee.

That's odd about being given false information. Well, I guess there's no point to own the box if I couldn't use it without paying fees to Dish anyways. I guess either a HTPC or running windows media center + PS3 media server to a PS3 would be my best bet then without buying something like a moxi DVR.

Thanks for the replies guys.

edit: The 722 box was paid for upfront. It's not being leased.

#381 ·
Explain to me why some options are grayed out like say in a group of recordings the "delete group" option is grayed out. Also why can I not cancel a recording on tuner 2 without using the tuner two remote in dual mode?

#382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/17811207

Explain to me why some options are grayed out like say in a group of recordings the "delete group" option is grayed out. Also why can I not cancel a recording on tuner 2 without using the tuner two remote in dual mode?

In dual mode each tuner is treated as an entirely separate entity, so it assumes you don't want someone on TV1 messing with what is going on with TV2.

Grayed out just means that option is not available for use based on various circumstances, such as maybe there is an open file (playing or recording) in the group.

#383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchest7 /forum/post/17810729

edit: The 722 box was paid for upfront. It's not being leased.

You paid the $350-$450? If so, then you "own" the unit, but the only benefit is you (a) are never asked to return the unit, and (b) do not have need a two-year programming commitment. Only leased DVRs require the two-year programming commitment. These DVRs still require a satellite subscription and DVR fee to function.

Note you do not own the unit if you paid $99-$199. That's the standard, upfront lease fee charged to existing Dish and DirecTV customers.

#384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/17810591

Whats the difference between 722 and 722x?

Is there any Dish STB DVR which feeds 2 HD signals to 2 HDTV?

Bump!

#385 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/17816873

Bump!

722k is newer version of 722. 722 has built in OTA tuner. 722k OTA is an optional module with two tuners so you can record 2 OTA channels at once.

No Dish box will feed HD to TV2. Only option is to use it in single mode and connect one TV via HDMI and the other via component....both always watching the same channel.

#386 ·

Quote:

Whats the difference between 722 and 722x?

There's no such thing as the 722x. I assume you mean the 722K.

The K version uses a newer, much faster CPU that can support future enhancements like this 16:9 HD UI ; the CPU in the older 722 model is limited to 16:9 SD UI. It does not include a single, built-in OTA tuner like the ViP722; it supports a ~$40 OTA module with two OTA tuners. The K version can record four different channels at the same time (2 sat, 2 ota) when you add the optional ~$40 OTA module.

Quote:

Is there any Dish STB DVR which feeds 2 HD signals to 2 HDTV?

No.

#387 ·
Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem worthwhile to upgrade from 722 to 722k.

How can Dish get away with STB that supply only one HD output! Most all 2nd TV are HD in households.

It seems like a trivial add-on to the 722, as the 722 already has 2 HD tuners and has the horsepower to record 2 HD streams. Is it a big deal to output 2 HD streams?

#388 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/17817452

Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem worthwhile to upgrade from 722 to 722k.

How can Dish get away with STB that supply only one HD output! Most all 2nd TV are HD in households.

It seems like a trivial add-on to the 722, as the 722 already has 2 HD tuners and has the horsepower to record 2 HD streams. Is it a big deal to output 2 HD streams?

In short, yes it is that hard. Most DVRs only supply only 1 output period, so Dish it actually ahead of the game in that respect. Then there is the problem of distributing the HD signal to the second TV. Lots of options here, but none are inexpensive.

Ted

#389 ·
The problem with two HD outputs isn't technical. They could make the TV2 output to be an ATSC output easily. The problem is that this output would be unencoded so that anything broadcast on the satellite could be recorded. The content providers would shut down Dish Network if they did this.

Rick R

#390 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R /forum/post/17822239

The problem with two HD outputs isn't technical. They could make the TV2 output to be an ATSC output easily. The problem is that this output would be unencoded so that anything broadcast on the satellite could be recorded. The content providers would shut down Dish Network if they did this.

Rick R

That is one of the ways in which it would be expensive.

#391 ·
Why does the 2nd HD output have to be un-encoded?

Originally, someone said that it would take too much CPU to put out 2 HD outputs. My point is that it takes as much (if not more) CPU to process 2 incoming HD inputs via the 2 tuners (the 722 can record 2 HS streams simultaneously). So why would the CPU be insufficient to output 2 HD streams?

#392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/17825177

Why does the 2nd HD output have to be un-encoded?

Originally, someone said that it would take too much CPU to put out 2 HD outputs. My point is that it takes as much (if not more) CPU to process 2 incoming HD inputs via the 2 tuners (the 722 can record 2 HS streams simultaneously). So why would the CPU be insufficient to output 2 HD streams?

Because if there was encryption on the tv2 output your tv wouldn't be able to process it.

Just like PCs have a hard enough time with one HD output, let alone two. Reading the streams in is nothing, processing them for output is much more cpu intensive.

#393 ·
I thought I knew almost everything about the 622/722 DVRs but I have a problem that stumps me. Maybe someone can help. I want to record the 11:00 news every day. If I set to record Monday-Friday it correctly records the 5 days a week. If I set it to record Daily it records Monday-Friday ok but the recordings on Saturday and Sunday are set but cancelled! Does anyone know how tor make it record 7 days a week?

Thanks for any help.

Rick R

#394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R /forum/post/17908350

I thought I knew almost everything about the 622/722 DVRs but I have a problem that stumps me. Maybe someone can help. I want to record the 11:00 news every day. If I set to record Monday-Friday it correctly records the 5 days a week. If I set it to record Daily it records Monday-Friday ok but the recordings on Saturday and Sunday are set but cancelled! Does anyone know how tor make it record 7 days a week?

Thanks for any help.

Rick R

It should tell you why they are cancelled? What is the reason?

#395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R /forum/post/17908350

Thanks for any help.

Rick R

I've never seen that. Does the cancelled recording have a slightly different name on the weekends? I have a M-F Timer for The Daily Show that recognizes when the name is different on Fridays at 11 and doesn't record.

Have you tried a time based Timer instead of a name based Timer?

Ted

#396 ·
I currently do not get all the local HD channels in my area (I do subscribe to Dish Locals) - I can pull them in if I use my antenna and my tuner in my HDTV - but I'd like to record them. If I call dish for the OTA module that you all talk about, will my 722k be able to record locals using the OTA?

Thanks in advance!

#397 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman822 /forum/post/17916406

I currently do not get all the local HD channels in my area (I do subscribe to Dish Locals) - I can pull them in if I use my antenna and my tuner in my HDTV - but I'd like to record them. If I call dish for the OTA module that you all talk about, will my 722k be able to record locals using the OTA?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, provided you get a good signal from your antenna, and it sounds as if you do.

#398 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/17910526

It should tell you why they are cancelled? What is the reason?

It says "Event Skipped: Incorrect Event"

Strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted /forum/post/17914859

I've never seen that. Does the cancelled recording have a slightly different name on the weekends? I have a M-F Timer for The Daily Show that recognizes when the name is different on Fridays at 11 and doesn't record.

Have you tried a time based Timer instead of a name based Timer?

Ted

I will try time based this weekend.

On 2nd thought that is probably the reason. The weekend news maybe has a slightly different name. I thought initially that if the name on the weekend was different it just wouldn't record it. However since I told it to record daily the 622 felt the need to set the timer and then cancel it on weekends since the name was different.

!

Rick R

#400 ·
I currently have local phone service and a dish pvr-625 hooked to it to avoid the 2nd receiver fee.

I want to get rid of the local phone. I understand that then I will end up paying the 2nd receiver fee because the 625 won't be hooked to a phone line.

I don't currently have a HD tv so I don't need any dish HD programming.

Question: If I upgrade my dvr to a vip 722(k) and hook the internet port to my high-speed internet, can I just keep my current dish-100 programming package and no HD, or will I be forced to add a HD programming package?

Will I have to pay an upgrade fee? Any other fees that I might have to pay?

Thanks,

Tim

#401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstman1 /forum/post/18019134

I currently have local phone service and a dish pvr-625 hooked to it to avoid the 2nd receiver fee.

I want to get rid of the local phone. I understand that then I will end up paying the 2nd receiver fee because the 625 won't be hooked to a phone line.

I don't currently have a HD tv so I don't need any dish HD programming.

Question: If I upgrade my dvr to a vip 722(k) and hook the internet port to my high-speed internet, can I just keep my current dish-100 programming package and no HD, or will I be forced to add a HD programming package?

Will I have to pay an upgrade fee? Any other fees that I might have to pay?

Thanks,

Tim

You will not be required to add an HD programming package, although you will get your local channels in HD automatically, and they may try to pressure you. There may be an upgrade fee depending on how Dish classifies you. If you insist on a 722k, the chances are high. At one point they were talking about activating the ethernet in the 625, but I am not sure if that ever came about.

-Ted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.