post #511 of 650 Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Actually, the 722 isn't that efficient for disk space. I have 76 hours of HD, 12 hours of SD and 15 HD hours available on the 750GB drive, which calculates to about 8GB per hour.

My HTPC OTA HD Mpeg-2 recordings (1080i and 720p) using BeyondTV average around 6GB per hour.

Are you referring to the internal drive or an external one? The internal one in the 722 is 500GB with a certain portion reserved for the 1080p on-demand content (100GB iirc). When I transfer recordings to my external drive, a half-hour show will generally be 2-2.5GB and an hour-long show is ~4.5GB. It also depends greatly on the content. Action movies for instance take up a lot more space than a dialog-centric drama.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 650 Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Are you referring to the internal drive or an external one? The internal one in the 722 is 500GB with a certain portion reserved for the 1080p on-demand content (100GB iirc). When I transfer recordings to my external drive, a half-hour show will generally be 2-2.5GB and an hour-long show is ~4.5GB. It also depends greatly on the content. Action movies for instance take up a lot more space than a dialog-centric drama.

Ted

My bad. It's the internal drive. I honestly thought the 722 had a 750GB drive and the 622 a 500GB. If it's only 500, then roller11's facts are way off (must have watched a D* commercial). Most of my recordings are movies and some concerts from Palladia.
post #513 of 650 Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My bad. It's the internal drive. I honestly thought the 722 had a 750GB drive and the 622 a 500GB. If it's only 500, then roller11's facts are way off (must have watched a D* commercial). Most of my recordings are movies and some concerts from Palladia.

Yep. The 722 has a 500GB drive and the 622 has a 320GB. In both cases a significant portion is reserved for on-demand content. The 922 has a 1TB drive.

Ted
post #514 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

I've had something strange happen with my 722 recently. When turning it on, I get no picture or sound. All of the menus, info, etc. work fine. I have to reset the unit, then everything is back to normal. What's really weird is that it's only happened twice, both times in the last week, and both times early Thursday evening. Each time it happened, a recording was taking place and the recordings were perfect (I waited to reset until after the recordings were done). I have OTA hooked up to the unit and there was no picture or sound on any of those channels either.

Obviously there's a glitch in the software, but wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if it may be a precursor of unit failure.
post #515 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
I've noticed that in the last week the "info" display does not go away unless you press "exit." Very annoying.
post #516 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've had something strange happen with my 722 recently. When turning it on, I get no picture or sound. All of the menus, info, etc. work fine. I have to reset the unit, then everything is back to normal. What's really weird is that it's only happened twice, both times in the last week, and both times early Thursday evening. Each time it happened, a recording was taking place and the recordings were perfect (I waited to reset until after the recordings were done). I have OTA hooked up to the unit and there was no picture or sound on any of those channels either.

Obviously there's a glitch in the software, but wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if it may be a precursor of unit failure.

I've seen that before. I haven't seen it in a while, but I am no longer using OTA, so perhaps that is why. My 722 is 2 years old now, so I doubt it is an indication of anything other than buggy software.

Ted
post #517 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I've noticed that in the last week the "info" display does not go away unless you press "exit." Very annoying.

When are you using info? In the guide, while you are watching something (paused or otherwise), or some other scenario. I have not seen this, but I will test when I get home.

Ted
post #518 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've seen that before. I haven't seen it in a while, but I am no longer using OTA, so perhaps that is why. My 722 is 2 years old now, so I doubt it is an indication of anything other than buggy software.

Precisely my situation and observations too. Except I still use OTA extensively due to the HD or subchannels not yet on satellite.
post #519 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've seen that before. I haven't seen it in a while, but I am no longer using OTA, so perhaps that is why. My 722 is 2 years old now, so I doubt it is an indication of anything other than buggy software. Ted

Thanks. Just wanted to know if it was a brief anomaly or more serious. Only reason I mentioned OTA was to indicate that it didn't seem to be related to satellite reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

Precisely my situation and observations too. Except I still use OTA extensively due to the HD or subchannels not yet on satellite.

I only use the OTA to record when my HTPC tuners run out, but I'll take the OTA PQ and reliability any day (and it's free).
post #520 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When are you using info? In the guide, while you are watching something (paused or otherwise), or some other scenario. I have not seen this, but I will test when I get home.

Ted

Never really "use" it but if you come out of the guide to a channel the channel banner stays on the screen, it used to time out after a few seconds. Weird.
post #521 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Never really "use" it but if you come out of the guide to a channel the channel banner stays on the screen, it used to time out after a few seconds. Weird.

You're right, it should be going off in just a couple of seconds. Tried resetting the receiver? I wonder if some of these quirks don't pop up just after their updates.
post #522 of 650 Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah, mine stays around for about 3-4 seconds.
post #523 of 650 Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 AM

When I push any forward, back, pause or play buttons during live TV or playback of a recorded show, I see the blue arrows on the screen that used to go away after 5 seconds. Now it stays there unless I hit Info then select to clear it. Is this a hardware or software problem and is there a fix?

Also, I have now had three incidences of a show recording in 30 one minute sections instead of one 30 minute. Any help?
post #524 of 650 Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAppraiser View Post

When I push any forward, back, pause or play buttons during live TV or playback of a recorded show, I see the blue arrows on the screen that used to go away after 5 seconds. Now it stays there unless I hit Info then select to clear it. Is this a hardware or software problem and is there a fix?

Also, I have now had three incidences of a show recording in 30 one minute sections instead of one 30 minute. Any help?

I haven't seen this behavior. Have you reset your DVR? That can sometimes clear out software bugs. If so, then I recommend getting on a chat with Dish Tech Support.

Ted
post #525 of 650 Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Looks like I'm not the only one getting shows in 30 one minute recordings http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...ent-1-min.html
post #526 of 650 Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAppraiser View Post

Looks like I'm not the only one getting shows in 30 one minute recordings http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...ent-1-min.html

I had that happen a few times. I did nothing specific to correct it.
post #527 of 650 Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen this behavior. Have you reset your DVR? That can sometimes clear out software bugs. If so, then I recommend getting on a chat with Dish Tech Support.

Ted

Powering on and off cleared the stinking blue arrows. No new one minute recordings, but that has only happened 3-4 times over seven weeks so I'd have to go a month without seeing short recordings before I call that problem solved.
post #528 of 650 Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Now Closed Captioning stopped working.
post #529 of 650 Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine has really started sucking lately. Searching for signal, updates in the middle of the day, short recordings. I'm going to call it in this weekend.
post #530 of 650 Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I was looking at the Dish web site & have a few questions.

Free DVR and free HD, as long as you go with their direct billing. It looks like the ViP 722 DVR might be the way to go. I called Dish and to record OTA it appears an additional module needs to be installed which they said was no charge. It appears the only additional charge would be a $6.00/month DVR fee.

Are there any local taxes or franchise fees like Comcast has?

Can programs be transferred to a PC in order to save them and/or burn a disc?

How many days out does the electronic program guide extend?

I did read through the forum & did some searching which raised a couple questions. One is about a warranty. My Comcast DVR has been replaced several times within a year & it never cost me anything because I don't own it. I thought the Dish DVRs were also leased/rented, but it appears some are purchased because people talk about a warranty. They are offering a free DVR, but is this considered a purchase, even though I have to pay a monthly fee?

The Dish rep I spoke with did say model 722K but I took the K to mean the DVR was black since other consumer electronics use this designation. And there was no 722K on their web site. According to the forum it appears the 722K is a slightly different model & the OTA module includes 2 tuners and costs $40. Has anyone got the module for free as the rep told me? Or could he possibly be implying that it would be a single tuner module for free in the 722K?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
post #531 of 650 Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I was looking at the Dish web site & have a few questions.

Free DVR and free HD, as long as you go with their direct billing. It looks like the ViP 722 DVR might be the way to go. I called Dish and to record OTA it appears an additional module needs to be installed which they said was no charge. It appears the only additional charge would be a $6.00/month DVR fee.

Are there any local taxes or franchise fees like Comcast has?

Depends on where you live. Dish should be able to tell you this when you call to order.

Quote:

Not in any easy way that we've been able to determine

Quote:

How many days out does the electronic program guide extend?

In my experience, a little over a week

Quote:

I did read through the forum & did some searching which raised a couple questions. One is about a warranty. My Comcast DVR has been replaced several times within a year & it never cost me anything because I don't own it. I thought the Dish DVRs were also leased/rented, but it appears some are purchased because people talk about a warranty. They are offering a free DVR, but is this considered a purchase, even though I have to pay a monthly fee?

Most people don't purchase since it is several hundred dollars up front and difficult to get repaired out of warranty. If it is free it is leased. If you get the Protection Plan, it will cost $15 for a tech to come out to your house to fix problems. Not sure what the fee would be to replace a failed DVR, if any.

Quote:

The Dish rep I spoke with did say model 722K but I took the K to mean the DVR was black since other consumer electronics use this designation. And there was no 722K on their web site. According to the forum it appears the 722K is a slightly different model & the OTA module includes 2 tuners and costs $40. Has anyone got the module for free as the rep told me? Or could he possibly be implying that it would be a single tuner module for free in the 722K?

The 722k is an updated version of the 622/722 series of DVRs from Dish. Only the marketing minds within Dish know what the K stands for as the original 722 is black. It has an optional OTA module that allows you to record 2 OTA recordings in addition to the 2 Satellite tuners. It is not uncommon for Dish to include the OTA tuner module for free.

Quote:

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

post #532 of 650 Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can record using a Hauppage HD PVR (about $190), or an Avermedia HD DVR card ($89). The Hauppage is widely in use and I believe works with Win7. By using an IR blaster you can switch channels to record, or just do manual recordings live or from previous recordings. I use the Avermedia card which only works manually. It has HDMI inputs, but the software is really flaky and only records 2 channel audio even through the HDMI. You can also use component, s-video, or composite inputs. There's another high-end card similar to the Avermedia but costs as much as the Hauppage.
post #533 of 650 Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
ncted,

Thanks for all the information.

Dish's Protection Plan seems strange to me in that I would have to pay for a plan to cover something I do not own. Plus have to pay for a tech to come out to the house to fix their property. I'm certainly not sticking up for Comcast and am looking to drop them, but they have never charged me to fix or replace their leased equipment. I guess the providers get your money one way or the other.

Thanks again.
post #534 of 650 Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ncted,

Thanks for all the information.

Dish's Protection Plan seems strange to me in that I would have to pay for a plan to cover something I do not own. Plus have to pay for a tech to come out to the house to fix their property. I'm certainly not sticking up for Comcast and am looking to drop them, but they have never charged me to fix or replace their leased equipment. I guess the providers get your money one way or the other.

Thanks again.

Yes, these are the sorts of fees that people complain about with Dish. I've only had to pay for a tech once when I got a new Dish installed. If I had gone through Dish initially instead of a local reseller, I would have gotten the right dish to begin with. Ah well, I am still way ahead of where I would be if I still had TWC.

Ted
post #535 of 650 Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Any one know if the Logitech Harmony 550 Advanced Universal Infrared Remote Control supports the Dish Network ViP 722K DVR I am trying to find out before purchasing it.
and have not been able to find any Info on it.
post #536 of 650 Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveRon View Post

Any one know if the Logitech Harmony 550 Advanced Universal Infrared Remote Control supports the Dish Network ViP 722K DVR I am trying to find out before purchasing it.
and have not been able to find any Info on it.

Yes, all the Harmonys will support the 722K.....

Bobby 

post #537 of 650 Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes, these are the sorts of fees that people complain about with Dish. I've only had to pay for a tech once when I got a new Dish installed. If I had gone through Dish initially instead of a local reseller, I would have gotten the right dish to begin with. Ah well, I am still way ahead of where I would be if I still had TWC.

Ted

It gets even better. Dish is now charging you to return their equipment if you cancel or at the end of your contract you don't renew. To me Dish is taking over the spot of scum of the TV providers, beating out Cable by a long shot. If cable just didn't have such junk equipment I would go back to them in a sec.

Maybe there is hope with fiber, are people happy with Verizon's FIOS?

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
post #538 of 650 Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Yes, all the Harmonys will support the 722K.....

Thanks for the reply.
post #539 of 650 Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

It gets even better. Dish is now charging you to return their equipment if you cancel or at the end of your contract you don't renew. To me Dish is taking over the spot of scum of the TV providers, beating out Cable by a long shot. If cable just didn't have such junk equipment I would go back to them in a sec.

Maybe there is hope with fiber, are people happy with Verizon's FIOS?

While that sucks, I am neither surprised nor upset. Dish is still cheaper than cable, and, as you pointed out, offers a much better equipment. If you want a good experience, FIOS with Tivo is about the best out there from what I hear. If only Verizon hadn't sold my market to Frontier!

Ted
post #540 of 650 Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

It gets even better. Dish is now charging you to return their equipment if you cancel or at the end of your contract you don't renew.

Send it "Media Mail". What Ted said, they are cheaper monthly, but the nuisance fees add up quickly.

The 722k seems to be like a gas gauge on an old American car, it drops very slowly the closer you get to E. I have been waiting for an excuse to spend $39.99 for the privilege of hooking up my own 1TB expansion drive, but the lowest I have gotten down to is 15 hours of HD remaining. I am even stockpiling movies for when we drop the $24/month HBO-Showtime at the end of this month. In doing that I have run across another one of the 722k limitations:

It is limited to 40 timers. We have 5 people who want to record shows for 2 TVs and some shows are only on occasionally so we are maxed out on timers. Should I switch to Dish Pass instead?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page