AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Is this normal behavior?

I scheduled 3 sequential programs to record on the same channel. Each one is set to start 1 minute early & end 3 minutes late, which is the default setting on my DVR. This should mean that the first program would use tuner #1, the second program tuner #2 and the third program tuner #1. The tuners would have to alternate in order to accommodate the overlapping times.

But this does not happen. The DVR changes the start & stop times and records all 3 programs on the same tuner. IOW it eliminates the overlapping times & assumes the programs will start/stop exactly on time. In one respect this makes sense because it frees up the second tuner. But it also means you might not be able to delete the first program after watching it because it may contain the very first part of the second program, and so on. I added on 90 minutes to a couple programs & the DVR still overrode my choices.

Is there any way to force the DVR to alternate tuners?

If you change the overlap times to be greater than the defaults it will use separate tuners for each of the shows. If you leave the default overlap or use overlaps that are smaller than the defaults it will change them to zero and record the shows with the same tuner. If you are aware of this you can control what you want to happen.

I have set my defaults to start 1 minute early and end 5 minutes late. With these it uses separate tuners for adjacent shows. If I want them to use the same tuners I change the overlap for the shows involved to 1 minute early and 1 minute late.

Rick R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 650 Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

If you change the overlap times to be greater than the defaults it will use separate tuners for each of the shows. If you leave the default overlap or use overlaps that are smaller than the defaults it will change them to zero and record the shows with the same tuner. If you are aware of this you can control what you want to happen.

I have set my defaults to start 1 minute early and end 5 minutes late. With these it uses separate tuners for adjacent shows. If I want them to use the same tuners I change the overlap for the shows involved to 1 minute early and 1 minute late.

Rick R

I had mine set to end 60 minutes late. This makes me wonder if the 60 minutes overlapped the 1 minute early time for the third scheduled program. Program #1 normally went from 7:00pm to 8:00pm, program #2 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm and program #3 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm. But I added 60 minutes to each. Therefore program # 1 now went from 7:00pm to 9:00pm. However program #3 started a minute early at 8:59pm.

IOW from 8:59pm to 9:00pm all three programs were scheduled, which means not enough tuners to go around. I'll try again using something like ending 50 minutes late & see what happens.
post #573 of 650 Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I tried again & scheduled 3 sequential programs to record on the same OTA channel. This time each one was set to start 1 minute early & end 15 minutes late and all recorded properly.
post #574 of 650 Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 AM

Liked: 10
The dish 922 does have a connection for a second TV using the second tuner (at least the model that I just got yesterday does) It is a standard def component connection though. So you can connect it to another TV and view the second tuner but the 922 only comes with 1 remote and it is only a standard def connection for the second tuner because it is designed and marketed as a solo DVR and not a duel DVR. The second TV tuner is really intended to be used by the built in sling box and through that you can get HD streaming to any computer. An interesting note: When you connect to a second TV with the second tuner connection, if you change the channel over the internet (using the slingbox connection) you can view those channels being changed. Not sure if it is possible to program a second remote to control the second tuner (like a duel box). It probably isn't since they intended it to be a solo DVR and not a duel TV box for two rooms. They also have apps for Iphone and Android phones for the sling feature. I have to say that the 722 is cool but the 922 is just so awesome with the ability to turn my Droid or any laptop into a portable TV with all the channels and options of home. All the playback functions are a lot smoother on the 922 verses the Directv DVRs (a true 30 second skip feature for commercials that Direct does not have). I do honestly believe the 922 is the best on the market now. So awesome.
post #575 of 650 Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
On the 922: can you do the following simultaneously?

a) watch a HD channel (ch1)
b) record that HD channel (ch1)
c) record another HD channel (ch2)
d) watch that other HD channel (ch2) in SD mode on 2nd tv
e) stream a recorded HD channel to a remote device
post #576 of 650 Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

On the 922: can you do the following simultaneously?

a) watch a HD channel (ch1)
b) record that HD channel (ch1)
c) record another HD channel (ch2)
d) watch that other HD channel (ch2) in SD mode on 2nd tv
e) stream a recorded HD channel to a remote device

a) Yes
b)Yes
c)Yes
d)Yes
e)and Yes

It is a duel tuner box so you can do all of those things at the same time. The sling feature allows you to have your DVR anywhere you are, as long as you have an internet connection.
It is a pretty amazing HD DVR. It just doesn't get much better. The only thing that would be an improvement is if you were able to view full HD, with a HDMI connection on the back for the 2nd tuner like you have for the 1st, instead of being limited to the standard def a/v component connection for the 2nd tuner. Maybe that will come in the near future though.
post #577 of 650 Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As many here may already know from other forums, the DISH Sling Adapter is now available and getting very favorable reviews.
post #578 of 650 Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

About the 922:

Dish's page http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/default.aspx has no indication that the 922 supports 2 TV's (like the 722 does). I had read that even though the 922 has 2 tuners (like 722), this dual TV feature was dropped.

Can anyone who upgraded to the 922 recently confirm that they have 2 TV's (one HD, one SD) attached to their 922?

Edit: This from Dish forum discusses this. http://www.dishsupport.com/dish-slin...able-dual.html
post #579 of 650 Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

About the 922:

Dish's page http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/default.aspx has no indication that the 922 supports 2 TV's (like the 722 does). I had read that even though the 922 has 2 tuners (like 722), this dual TV feature was dropped.

Can anyone who upgraded to the 922 recently confirm that they have 2 TV's (one HD, one SD) attached to their 922?

Edit: This from Dish forum discusses this. http://www.dishsupport.com/dish-slin...able-dual.html

Just go to your page you linked above and click on the 922 brochure just under the picture. It shows the connections on the 922 which include a Home Distribution coax output and references TV1 and TV2.
post #580 of 650 Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
It was just announced that new firmware for the 922 will begin rolling out, which enables the TV2 output.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...-software.html
post #581 of 650 Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Good!! That clarifies things.

Dish may charge $200 to upgrade to 922. Another choice would be to add Sling features to the 722 using Sling Adapter for $99. You get to keep the 722 (with smaller disk, or you can add USB storage to the 722 if you have a spare USB drive....)

http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywh.../customer.aspx
post #582 of 650 Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 PM

I've had a 722 for over a year. I have also connected an external hard drive to it. All had been working well until last week. 722 started overheating.

I called Dish Network and they sent me a new receiver that I have just received (and it is sitting in the box still)

The issue started after I made my call to report the problematic DVR. Now when I try to access the recordings on my external drive or move my recordings to the external drive I get the following

Warning # 866
The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another Dish Network receiver. USB Storage Devices may only be used with one receiver at a time. To use this device with this receiver all existing archived archived events will be deleted. Do you want to delete all existing events? Continue? (Yes/Cancel/No)

I was trying to move my existing recordings from the fautly DVR to my hard drive but now it seems to think my hard drive is attached to some other receiver. I haven't changed a thing (other than making a phone call to Dish - and I called them today to see if they had made any remote changes and they said they hadn't)

What are my options? I called Dish and they have no clue (talking to them makes me believe I am SOL)

1. Go out and buy another hard drive so that I can save at least the programs on my DVR (which are about 20% of the total programs I've saved)

2. Swap the receivers and see if the old hard drive works with the new one?

3. Is there any other way I can copy my archived programs from the current DVR and the old external hard drive (that has a ton of stuff) and use with my new DVR (connected through a single external hard drive)?

Help!!!
post #583 of 650 Old 11-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2002 View Post

I've had a 722 for over a year. I have also connected an external hard drive to it. All had been working well until last week. 722 started overheating.

I called Dish Network and they sent me a new receiver that I have just received (and it is sitting in the box still)

The issue started after I made my call to report the problematic DVR. Now when I try to access the recordings on my external drive or move my recordings to the external drive I get the following

Warning # 866
The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another Dish Network receiver. USB Storage Devices may only be used with one receiver at a time. To use this device with this receiver all existing archived archived events will be deleted. Do you want to delete all existing events? Continue? (Yes/Cancel/No)

I was trying to move my existing recordings from the fautly DVR to my hard drive but now it seems to think my hard drive is attached to some other receiver. I haven't changed a thing (other than making a phone call to Dish - and I called them today to see if they had made any remote changes and they said they hadn't)

What are my options? I called Dish and they have no clue (talking to them makes me believe I am SOL)

1. Go out and buy another hard drive so that I can save at least the programs on my DVR (which are about 20% of the total programs I've saved)

2. Swap the receivers and see if the old hard drive works with the new one?

3. Is there any other way I can copy my archived programs from the current DVR and the old external hard drive (that has a ton of stuff) and use with my new DVR (connected through a single external hard drive)?

Help!!!

That doesn't make sense that it would all of a sudden give you that error if you made no physical change. You could try setting up your new unit and pulling the drive out of the old one and putting it in your external enclosure and see if you can load the recordings onto the new one. Have no idea if that would work but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Have you tried unplugging the drive and resetting the receiver then plugging it in again, or even just resetting the receiver?

If you do want to try another drive and want a cheap solution, Geeks.com has some refurb 750 Seagates very cheap and the worst you would have is an inexpensive 2nd drive or backup drive.
post #584 of 650 Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM

That's what I thought - it doesn't make any sense.

Dish Network states vehemently that they made no change. And I made no change. This is a hard drive I have dedicated to my 722 - so no other configurations or sharing to worry about.

Have tried unplugging the drive and resetting the receiver - no luck

Can you please explain what you mean by "You could try setting up your new unit and pulling the drive out of the old one and putting it in your external enclosure and see if you can load the recordings onto the new one."?

So that means swap out my DVRs, activate the new DVR.

Then I pull my hard drive out of my old DVR (how do I do that?)

Put in into external enclosure? What does this mean? So the old DVR drive goes to my external hard drive???

I thought you were proposing to swap the hard-drives of the two DVRs - that way I get to keep my current recordings on the old DVR - and I still have to worry about how to get the external drive to be recognized (without deleting recordings already on the external drive)

As long as I can retract what I'm doing I'm willing to try anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
That doesn't make sense that it would all of a sudden give you that error if you made no physical change. You could try setting up your new unit and pulling the drive out of the old one and putting it in your external enclosure and see if you can load the recordings onto the new one. Have no idea if that would work but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Have you tried unplugging the drive and resetting the receiver then plugging it in again, or even just resetting the receiver?

If you do want to try another drive and want a cheap solution, Geeks.com has some refurb 750 Seagates very cheap and the worst you would have is an inexpensive 2nd drive or backup drive.
post #585 of 650 Old 11-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2002 View Post
That's what I thought - it doesn't make any sense.

Dish Network states vehemently that they made no change. And I made no change. This is a hard drive I have dedicated to my 722 - so no other configurations or sharing to worry about.

Have tried unplugging the drive and resetting the receiver - no luck

Can you please explain what you mean by "You could try setting up your new unit and pulling the drive out of the old one and putting it in your external enclosure and see if you can load the recordings onto the new one."?

So that means swap out my DVRs, activate the new DVR.

Then I pull my hard drive out of my old DVR (how do I do that?)

Put in into external enclosure? What does this mean? So the old DVR drive goes to my external hard drive???

I thought you were proposing to swap the hard-drives of the two DVRs - that way I get to keep my current recordings on the old DVR - and I still have to worry about how to get the external drive to be recognized (without deleting recordings already on the external drive)

As long as I can retract what I'm doing I'm willing to try anything...
I meant just to activate the new one and pull the drive out of the problem unit and put it in your external and see if the new unit will recognize the recordings and transfer them. You'll just have to open up the old unit and remove the drive. I've never had to do it, but it's just a regular hard drive so it shouldn't be a major undertaking if you've ever installed one in a computer.

I've seen this problem posted before and as I remember it's not all that uncommon and don't remember seeing a definite solution.

Personally, instead of the external drive, I got an Avermedia HD capture card for my PC and just record shows and movies I want to keep to my PC.
post #586 of 650 Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM

See my comments/questions below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

I meant just to activate the new one and pull the drive out of the problem unit and put it in your external and see if the new unit will recognize the recordings and transfer them. You'll just have to open up the old unit and remove the drive. I've never had to do it, but it's just a regular hard drive so it shouldn't be a major undertaking if you've ever installed one in a computer.

I must admit that I haven't done this before but can try that...anyplace you can point me to that can walk me through this?

I've seen this problem posted before and as I remember it's not all that uncommon and don't remember seeing a definite solution.

Personally, instead of the external drive, I got an Avermedia HD capture card for my PC and just record shows and movies I want to keep to my PC.

How does this Avermedia HD capture card work? How do I use this in conjunction with the DVR?

post #587 of 650 Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Just do a google search for replacing Dish 722 dvr hard drive and I'm sure you'll find some instructions.

The Avermedia HD DVR has inputs for HDMI or component and captures HD video from just about any source. It's not as sophisticated as TV tuner cards and you have to set the recording manually. I record everything with the 722 first and then play it back and record with the Avermedia. Works fine and I've got permanent recordings that I can play on any type of media player. Little bit of work but worth it and I don't have to worry about the idiosyncrasies with the dvr.
post #588 of 650 Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Hey guys. Sorry to keep asking questions. But how do u guys like the 722? I got one coming this Saturday to replace my 622. I really wanted to upgrade to the 922 with the sling built in but I've been hearing a lot of bad things about that player. So I'm guessing I'd be better off with the 722 with the sling adapter. Anyways how many USB ports are on the 722? Cause I know the sling adapter ties up one of them. Also if I want to hook up the 722 to my wifi wirelessly all I need to get is just a regular USB wirelss adapter like u get for laptops right? So if that's the case I would definitely need two USB slots available on the box. Do u think the 722 is more stable then the 922? Thanks again.
post #589 of 650 Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

I know I like my 722k. Just to give a bit of history, I had a pair of 811 several year back. I then went with the 622 because of the TV2 feature and the DVR function. My wife and oldest son have essential taken over that. Anyway, when I first heard about Sling Box, I wanted one, but didn't buy it for what ever reasons at the time. I suppose it was the cost, although I could have afforded it. Then I heard that the 922 would be out with Sling built in. I decided to keep my 622 until the 922 was available and I would be eligible for an upgrade. Just before it was available, I read that there would be no TV2 feature. That killed it for me and I then focused on the 722k because of the optional Over The Air module that has two tuners. Frankly, I probably didn't need it, but I wanted it. I did have the same frustrations that others here have had, namely they send me another 622! Anyway, I was finally able to get a 722k and then the Over The Air module was back ordered. Finally I got everything and it is a good receiver. I did get the laptop cooler to keep air moving though it. Now I have the Sling Adapter on order and I am looking forward to using that. I finally connected mine to broadband this weekend and that allows additional choices. My 722k has two USB ports. There is one in the front and one in the back. Since I also have an external hard drive connected, I bought a laptop cooler with a built in 4 port USB hub. With others having had cooling issues, needing 2 USB ports, and not liking the looks of the front USB port being used, it just seemed to me like the best choice.
post #590 of 650 Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I know I like my 722k. Just to give a bit of history, I had a pair of 811 several year back. I then went with the 622 because of the TV2 feature and the DVR function. My wife and oldest son have essential taken over that. Anyway, when I first heard about Sling Box, I wanted one, but didn't buy it for what ever reasons at the time. I suppose it was the cost, although I could have afforded it. Then I heard that the 922 would be out with Sling built in. I decided to keep my 622 until the 922 was available and I would be eligible for an upgrade. Just before it was available, I read that there would be no TV2 feature. That killed it for me and I then focused on the 722k because of the optional Over The Air module that has two tuners. Frankly, I probably didn't need it, but I wanted it. I did have the same frustrations that others here have had, namely they send me another 622! Anyway, I was finally able to get a 722k and then the Over The Air module was back ordered. Finally I got everything and it is a good receiver. I did get the laptop cooler to keep air moving though it. Now I have the Sling Adapter on order and I am looking forward to using that. I finally connected mine to broadband this weekend and that allows additional choices. My 722k has two USB ports. There is one in the front and one in the back. Since I also have an external hard drive connected, I bought a laptop cooler with a built in 4 port USB hub. With others having had cooling issues, needing 2 USB ports, and not liking the looks of the front USB port being used, it just seemed to me like the best choice.

thanks for the response...so i can just get a regular usb wireless adapter to get the 722 hooked up to the router i have on the second floor?...i thought i read somewhere that it should be connected directly thru the ethernet port, but that's kind impossible since my cable box connection is on the second floor...i was to pick up a wireless adapter before the installer comes on saturday...just wanna make sure i get the right one

btw i never thought to use a laptop cooler for the box...did you just place it underneath? i never had an overheating issue with my 622 in the time i've owned it, but i does tend to get hot in the tv stand...
post #591 of 650 Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Nor did I have an issues with overheating on my 622, but others here have reported heat issues on the 722k.

Here is what DISH suggests for wireless devices:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywh.../customer.aspx

Recommended Routers:

Linksys WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router

D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router

D-Link EBR-2310 Ethernet Broadband Router
post #592 of 650 Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Most USB wireless adapters DO NOT WORK with Dish receivers, including V1 of the one that does. Best to buy the darn thing direct from Dish so that you are assured it will work.

And if you get a 722 rather than a 722k, be appraised of the fact that it has a built-in OTA tuner, while the 722k has a hole in the back into which you put an extra-cost dual OTA tuner module. Both receivers have two USB ports: one in the front, and another in the back.
post #593 of 650 Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

My Dish Sling Adapter arrived today. As has already been reported by others, and I hope I get there phrase correctly, it is dead simple and just plain works. In preparation, I switched from a 622 to a 722k earlier this summer. Then, just this past weekend, I finally connected that 722k to my network via CAT-5. So when I returned home from work this afternoon "Brown Santa" had left me a present. I just connects via the USB cable. I have used is on an Android Garminfone, a Dell desktop PC, and a Dell Mini 10 and it just simply works on all of them.
post #594 of 650 Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

My Dish Sling Adapter arrived today. As has already been reported by others, and I hope I get there phrase correctly, it is dead simple and just plain works. In preparation, I switched from a 622 to a 722k earlier this summer. Then, just this past weekend, I finally connected that 722k to my network via CAT-5. So when I returned home from work this afternoon "Brown Santa" had left me a present. I just connects via the USB cable. I have used is on an Android Garminfone, a Dell desktop PC, and a Dell Mini 10 and it just simply works on all of them.

I assume that by that you mean that you have accessed your 722 on these devices successfully when the Adapter is connected to the 722.

Connecting the Sling Adapter to these devices won't do anything...
post #595 of 650 Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I assume that by that you mean that you have accessed your 722 on these devices successfully when the Adapter is connected to the 722.

Yup, that's what Jim meant. I have one too, but my experience is not so good. I haven't tried remote access yet; only local LAN access. There are three quality settings on the IE ActiveX control, labeled good, better, and best (HD). I have no PC with enough muscle to play back the HD stream without severe stuttering. I have watched the mid quality stream on an underpowered Windows 7 HTPC connected to my 42" Westinghouse, and it looked HD to me from 4' away. It averaged about 8Mbps on this setting, and it was pretty darn spectacular.

My Android experience is much worse. The controls are non-intuitive, and there is nothing to set; all channels stutter. I cannot play back any mpeg-2 recordings (from OTA) at all; it just flips over to "live" or else crashes.

When bugs are quashed, I think this device will be a winner. It is very simple to set up; literally plug and play. And it's the only way to get HD out of the TV2 outputs on Dish HD receivers.
post #596 of 650 Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM

My experience so far with the sling adapter... very easy to install, and after letting the plug in install on Firefox, the stream worked great on wired and in-house wireless. I tried it on my mini-laptop somewhere else, and it was fine, just not as great with bandwidth (only 350k). I have a windows mobile phone, so I couldn't test it there. (I'm looking for a good tablet that I could tether my phone with, maybe Android or Ip*d.)
post #597 of 650 Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM

can you please tell me if this asking adapter that you hook it up with dish vip722dvr works with standalone sling media player and mobile? I couldn't set mine up and I'm so frustrated that customer service at dish network pass me back and forth on phone. I'm about to return it. can somebody help me set up please. so that I can use it to my laptop and mobile please.
post #598 of 650 Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...ish-sling.html

Try posting in the above area. You might find it to be more helpful than Dish Network Support in this particular case.
post #599 of 650 Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish85 View Post
can you please tell me if this asking adapter that you hook it up with dish vip722dvr works with standalone sling media player and mobile? I couldn't set mine up and I'm so frustrated that customer service at dish network pass me back and forth on phone. I'm about to return it. can somebody help me set up please. so that I can use it to my laptop and mobile please.
I think it works only with VIP722.
Why would you need any adapter if you have Sling Media? I thought that the adapter added Sling Media features to the VIP7xx.
post #600 of 650 Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish85 View Post

can you please tell me if this asking adapter that you hook it up with dish vip722dvr works with standalone sling media player and mobile?

I haven't tried the standalone player myself, but my understanding is that the Sling Adapter is using a new video format (flash?) that does not work with the old standalone players. At this time, you have to use the free Remote Access application for mobile, or the plug-in that gets downloaded when you long into your online account and select Remote Access.

Whether Sling Media will fill out their player line with a new standalone player is anybody's guess. They haven't announced such a thing yet.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page