Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market! - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 650 Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 622, there seems no mention of it on the dish website. I'm guessing it does not support the sling adapter ?

From reading this thread it appears that with the sling adapter and a compatible receiver (722K) I should be able to watch the second channel in HD on a PC which I can then hook up to my tv ? Any other options besides using a PC ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 650 Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan123 View Post
I have the 622, there seems no mention of it on the dish website. I'm guessing it does not support the sling adapter?
It does not at this time, and that was a big shocker to many of us who have been waiting 11 months for this thing. Neither the 622, 612, nor the 922 will accept the Sling Adapter at this time.

Quote:
Any other options besides using a PC ?
Mobile clients are available, and some phones have TV outputs. The iPad (I gather) gives excellent results. There used to be a Slingcatcher-like device on the Dish website until the Sling Adapter came out; it was mysteriously pulled without explanation, though the Sling Receiver 300 is still listed on Sling Media's website. My WAG on this critical missing component is that GoogleTV will be updated to accept the new Sling stream, and that will solve the missing Slingcatcher problem.
post #603 of 650 Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Cross-posting recommended from main forum...

Unfortunately just lost my job and looking at every way to cut monthly expenses. Really enjoy my Dish TV - but noticed that they are charging me an extra $10/month for HD (which I don't really need). I have a simple hookup - VIP722 connected to 2 tvs (one SD in living room and one HD in bedroom). If I remove the HD programming, will my VIP722 just record everything in SD? I guess the positive is that I'll be able to record more shows.
post #604 of 650 Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdude View Post

Cross-posting recommended from main forum...

Unfortunately just lost my job and looking at every way to cut monthly expenses. Really enjoy my Dish TV - but noticed that they are charging me an extra $10/month for HD (which I don't really need). I have a simple hookup - VIP722 connected to 2 tvs (one SD in living room and one HD in bedroom). If I remove the HD programming, will my VIP722 just record everything in SD? I guess the positive is that I'll be able to record more shows.

It will just record SD since those are the only channels you will receive. If your HDTV in the bedroom is 32" or smaller, the SD won't be real bad, in fact fairly viewable on most channels.

These providers are a pain with their extra HD charges. At this point the HD should be a standard and not an extra charge and marketing gimmick. The broadcast channels have had it for more than 4 years and they bit the bullet on initial costs.

I'm ready to dump Dish when the college football season is over anyway and just use my antenna and the internet. Since 90-95% of what I watch is free anyway it's not a big adjustment to make.

One idea: If you're not under contract, why not negotiate with them for the HD free for life. Tell them you're ready to cancel the service because of your situation. Good chance you'll get it.

Hope this helps and good luck with the job situation.
post #605 of 650 Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Agree with lsilvest. Not only should you negotiate for HD Free for Life (may require CC autopay), but you should already have been paying $0 for HD IMHO. Unless you have the Platinum Pack which is indeed $10/mo for about 18 channels. Other things to consider are the HD-only packages Dish America ($29.99/mo), Dish America Silver ($44.99), and Dish America Gold ($54.99). If you really need to cut way back, consider hooking up an antenna and going with a locals-only package, which I think is about $10/mo. Existing customers may still be able to get the Welcome Pack ($15 with locals) or even the Family Pack ($19.99).
post #606 of 650 Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
If you really need to cut way back, consider hooking up an antenna and going with a locals-only package, which I think is about $10/mo.
You don't need the locals only package if you hook up an antenna, OTA is free for all, no external receiver needed..... that is, of course, you are able to receive OTA signals. In this configuration you don't need Dish, cable or Directv at all.....

Bobby 

post #607 of 650 Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM

I'm thinking of switching from Dish to Directv because dish does not have a multiroom HD DVR solution.

Are there any cons in going to Directv ?
post #608 of 650 Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm thinking of switching from Dish to Directv because dish does not have a multiroom HD DVR solution.

Are there any cons in going to Directv ?

1. Dish has the sling adapter which gives you multi-room capability.

2. Cons: DirecTV.
post #609 of 650 Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

1. Dish has the sling adapter which gives you multi-room capability.

2. Cons: DirecTV.

The sling adapter does not allow you to connect tv2 to a tv directly, you have to have a pc or some other device.

I want to have multiroom HD dvr and currently the only way to get it from dish is expensive..I have to buy a 722/sling adapter/pc with HDMi..why go through all this hassle when you can get everything free from directv ?
post #610 of 650 Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The sling adapter does not allow you to connect tv2 to a tv directly, you have to have a pc or some other device.

I want to have multiroom HD dvr and currently the only way to get it from dish is expensive..I have to buy a 722/sling adapter/pc with HDMi..why go through all this hassle when you can get everything free from directv ?

No such thing as ANYTHING free with D*. Been there, done that.
post #611 of 650 Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you guys know how I can get rid of three verticle lines on my picture? If I touch the antenna the lines go away. The Dish tech says it's interference or noise and there's nothing that can be done. What do you guys think?
post #612 of 650 Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post
Do you guys know how I can get rid of three verticle lines on my picture? If I touch the antenna the lines go away. The Dish tech says it's interference or noise and there's nothing that can be done. What do you guys think?
Which antenna - OTA , or the one on your receiver? The one on your receiver is for the remote and really shouldn't affect the output as far as I know.

What kind of connections do you have - to a receiver, the TV? First check is to try a different cable or connection to see if that fixes the problem.
post #613 of 650 Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks lsilvest, It's the little antenna that the tech put on my TV the receiver is in the other room.
post #614 of 650 Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks lsilvest, It's the little antenna that the tech put on my TV the receiver is in the other room.

Just guessing, but sounds like it's a boost/extender for the remote which apparently is a UHF remote. Open the battery compartment and look for a switch that has A & B on it and whichever it's on, slide it to the other to change the frequency. Only thing I can think of right now. Hopefully someone with more knowledge or experience with the extenders can help if this doesn't work.

Still think it's more likely a connection problem, though.
post #615 of 650 Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Thanks again I'll give it a try.
post #616 of 650 Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You lost me. Are you saying that a tech installed a small antenna on your TV and you are getting the output of a 722's TV2 RF output over the air? (It's supposed to be cabled directly to avoid interference.)
post #617 of 650 Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 AM

I am a new dish customer and have had it for a couple days. I bitched at why I received a 622 when I am a new customer, and its not even on the website, so they are sending me a 722 for free.

Till then, Dish looks good. I can tell the picture looks better than directv. But also I have been complaining ever since my original box crapped out, they have been sending me junk to replace it. I could tell in the pq...but ne ways.

my gripe is downloading movies. I had a coupon for a free hd movie, so i wanted to see how it looked. Got incepetion and it looks great- but whats up with the buffering? I could not watch it. I have a 20+ mb/s cable modem download and it was pathetic. I let it download for an hour or 2, went back, and still only got to watch 30mins before it buffered.

Is there a download speed meter on the box itself? (622). All I see in the menu is a network tester to check status. I would really like to know what the download speed of the box is. I'm guessing it has a 10/100 ethernet card

*sigh* all new ethernet devices should have a gigabit nic....

ok im done. Dish is great though.
post #618 of 650 Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-e-L-L-o View Post

I am a new dish customer and have had it for a couple days. I bitched at why I received a 622 when I am a new customer, and its not even on the website, so they are sending me a 722 for free.

Till then, Dish looks good. I can tell the picture looks better than directv. But also I have been complaining ever since my original box crapped out, they have been sending me junk to replace it. I could tell in the pq...but ne ways.

my gripe is downloading movies. I had a coupon for a free hd movie, so i wanted to see how it looked. Got incepetion and it looks great- but whats up with the buffering? I could not watch it. I have a 20+ mb/s cable modem download and it was pathetic. I let it download for an hour or 2, went back, and still only got to watch 30mins before it buffered.

Is there a download speed meter on the box itself? (622). All I see in the menu is a network tester to check status. I would really like to know what the download speed of the box is. I'm guessing it has a 10/100 ethernet card

*sigh* all new ethernet devices should have a gigabit nic....

ok im done. Dish is great though.

The problem isn't with the 10/100, it's Dish's servers. I've never had problems streaming HD over the internet with a 2.5Mb Qwest connection and between systems on my home network with 10/100. The Dish connection has always been excruciatingly slow.
post #619 of 650 Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:

You lost me. Are you saying that a tech installed a small antenna on your TV and you are getting the output of a 722's TV2 RF output over the air? (It's supposed to be cabled directly to avoid interference.)

Krell, I have cable to the box but the attenna is used to pick up the RF from the remote. That's what confusing, what is messing up my picture? If I put my hand on the antenna the lines go away. If I take the antenna off it goes away but then my remote won't work. Before I set this second tv up the antenna was on the box but the tech said there's to many walls etc. in between the box and the tv so that's why he set it up this way. I tried grounding the antenna no luck. I tried foil no luck. It's like it needs a booster or something.
post #620 of 650 Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

The problem isn't with the 10/100, it's Dish's servers. I've never had problems streaming HD over the internet with a 2.5Mb Qwest connection and between systems on my home network with 10/100. The Dish connection has always been excruciatingly slow.

you can say that again. is there a bandwidth meter somewhere in the settings? I couldn't find it on the 622...
post #621 of 650 Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Krell, I have cable to the box but the attenna is used to pick up the RF from the remote.

Ah, I see. That UHF remote backfeed is a standard way of extending TV2 way way out there, though it does drop the signal strength of the video RF by about half. There are a couple of things you can try.

1) Change the modulator output channel to something else. Usually the lowest channel number that you can pick will give the greatest range over coax. Remember to set the same channel on your TV!

2) Relocate the remote antenna so that it's nowhere near your TV.

3)Pull off both splitters and direct-connect your modulated output to your TV2, with the little remote antenna back on the receiver. I've never used the backfeed method and I've definitely gone about 50' diagonally through my house and 2 floors down. The UHF Pro remotes have a pretty decent range.
post #622 of 650 Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Ah, I see. That UHF remote backfeed is a standard way of extending TV2 way way out there, though it does drop the signal strength of the video RF by about half. There are a couple of things you can try.

1) Change the modulator output channel to something else. Usually the lowest channel number that you can pick will give the greatest range over coax. Remember to set the same channel on your TV!

2) Relocate the remote antenna so that it's nowhere near your TV.

3)Pull off both splitters and direct-connect your modulated output to your TV2, with the little remote antenna back on the receiver. I've never used the backfeed method and I've definitely gone about 50' diagonally through my house and 2 floors down. The UHF Pro remotes have a pretty decent range.

Thanks Krell I'll give it a try!
post #623 of 650 Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM

I searched, but I suspect I'm not searching for the right thing! I keep thinking this has to have come up before.

Background: I have a Samsung UN55B7000 tv with four HDMI inputs, an LGBD570 BD player, and a Dish 722k. The Dish remote will control my LG BD570 player, and the standard functions on the TV. However, the Dish 722k remote does not control the Samsung input selection. It cannot even learn the command from the Sammy remote.

The Samsung tv will "auto switch" to the active HDMI input, if there's only one input active.

But the Dish 722k sends the "Press SELECT to watch TV!" message even with the receiver off. Is there any way to disable this?

I tried looking for something like "DISHNote" or "DISHSelectON" or some other DISH-like trade name for the feature, but I guess I'm not being creative enough.
post #624 of 650 Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Annoying isn't it? There is no way to turn off the screen saver to make our auto switchers work as intended. Dish does this to help customers and installers find the signal in the first place. But I very much agree that there should be a true "off" position so that Dish receivers can more conveniently coexist with the rest of our AV equipment.
post #625 of 650 Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM

It is annoying. I did find a Samsung code that "kind of" controls the input switching, but its flakey. Samsung brings up a menu of inputs, rather than cycling through them, and UP and DOWN will cycle through them until you get to a cable input, then it changes channels. PgUp and PgDn will cycle through them too, but it dims the screen for some reason, making it nearly impossible to see the selection.

All this technology, and it doesn't work without using multiple remotes or buying a Harmony (been there, done that, almost got a divorce).
post #626 of 650 Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I switched yesterday from a two tv and two 311 receiver configuration to a single Dish 722 receiver. The installation went well for TV1 which is a newer digital ready tv but the tech was unable to get the connection to TV2 working. We are able to make the TV2 connection work well with either of my other two digital tvs but not the my older big Hitachi which is analog. The tech surmised that there was now something wrong with the tv itself (although it was working just fine minute before when he disconnected it from the 311). I was thinking that the problem may be that the OTA signal driven down to TV2 is probably digital and my tv no longer has a digital-to-analog conversion being done for it. I floated that by a Dish "tech" on an online chat and all they would say is that the 722 supports analog.

Not really comfortable that this is a correct answer.

Any thoughts?
post #627 of 650 Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have observed a funny anomaly on my 622 (uses the same software as the 722). I have events scheduled simultaneously for tuners TV1 and TV2. I then would like to schedule a new recording at the same time and it tells me that one of the events will be skipped. I say ok. Then I would like to record the skipped event using the OTA tuner and it tells me that it is a duplicate event and will not record it. If I tell it to override it uses the TV1 tuner and skipps the new recording!!!

If I record the skipped event using an OTA tuner with a manual timer it works ok however.

Rick R
post #628 of 650 Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpahlke View Post

I was thinking that the problem may be that the OTA signal driven down to TV2 is probably digital and my tv no longer has a digital-to-analog conversion being done for it.

The RF output of a 722 is analog NTSC, just like the 311. The channel used is much higher. Probably you set the receiver to cable and the TV to antenna, or vice versa.
post #629 of 650 Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Just got a 722 and the sling adapter to connect with my wireless network. The installer was very specific about the need to connect both the sling adapter and the 722 directly to the wall outlet, not a power strip or my UPS.

The outlet behind my tv has the typical 2 plug configuation. The top plug is always active, but the bottom one is a switched outlet.

Not wanting to have to train the family to leave the switched outlet on all the time - and manually turn on and off the lamps in the room - I tried a plug in adapter from my local home improvement center.

I got one of those simple plugs that turns one outlet into three, for less than a buck. Plugged the 722 into one outlet and everything else into another. Network connection on the 722 is fine, and downloads work just as before.

As an experiment, I also tried an extension cord from another hot outlet in the same room. It maintained the connection too.

Just posting my experience for the benefit of others. I searched for info on the HomePlug connection and didn't find many work arounds published.

So far, having a very positive experience with the 722 compared to my Comcast DVR.
post #630 of 650 Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

This is a Sling Adapter. Do you mean that broadband powerline adapter which IIRC is called the Slnglink Turbo?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page