post #631 of 650 Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
This is a Sling Adapter. Do you mean that broadband powerline adapter which IIRC is called the Slnglink Turbo?
Yep. The installer called it a "Sling" adaptor. Just used to communicate box presence and allow internet downloads to the boxes. Connects to the broadband connection in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

So far, having a very positive experience with the 722 compared to my Comcast DVR.

Not surprising since the 722 is about a century more advanced in technology. The 722 is a testament to the need for a universal DVR solution for cable/sat.
post #633 of 650 Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Not surprising since the 722 is about a century more advanced in technology. The 722 is a testament to the need for a universal DVR solution for cable/sat.

Not sure any provider would want a level playing field with their hardware. Universal products tend to leave off the best and worst features for the same of comformity.

Having choices like whole home use; number of tuners; type and number of sets serviced by a box; etc. give consumers the ability to pick the product that meets their needs.
post #634 of 650 Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Not sure any provider would want a level playing field with their hardware. Universal products tend to leave off the best and worst features for the same of comformity.

Having choices like whole home use; number of tuners; type and number of sets serviced by a box; etc. give consumers the ability to pick the product that meets their needs.

Of course the providers don't want anything that would make switching easier, that's the main reason we don't have any type of universal access.

The choices could still be made by consumers as to features and just the software tailored to the provider. Just think how inexpensive the hardware would be if left to competition on the open market. Consumers are now restricted by the whims of the providers who are slow to innovate. And recently, the cost of hardware has become outrageous.
post #635 of 650 Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifikid View Post

I switched to Dish Network this past week, and I really like the new ViP722 DVR! I am a former DirecTV/Tivo owner and I am very impressed with the new Dish DVR. Not only is it very fast, but it also has an enabled USB port that supports external hard drives up to 750GB. Unlimited HD storage! Can't beat it! I believe this is currently the best HD DVR on the market.

I actually have 5 different seagate 1.5 Terabyte drives that work perfectly. 750gb is NOT the limit. I think 2 TB even works.

Silence is overrated!
post #636 of 650 Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 PM

So lightning got on my ethernet network inside the house and took out a few network cards but also fried the network card/function of my 722. Since I am renting/leasing the unit from Dish Network, is it my responsibility to pay for the damages to the unit or will they replace it for free? Everything else about the DVR still works.
post #637 of 650 Old 10-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

I actually have 5 different seagate 1.5 Terabyte drives that work perfectly. 750gb is NOT the limit. I think 2 TB even works.

How do you network them together? Some sort of USB hub?

"Manuals? What manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals!!"
post #638 of 650 Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post

So lightning got on my ethernet network inside the house and took out a few network cards but also fried the network card/function of my 722. Since I am renting/leasing the unit from Dish Network, is it my responsibility to pay for the damages to the unit or will they replace it for free? Everything else about the DVR still works.

You'll probably have to coax them into replacing the unit at no cost if you don't have their DPP. What most folks do in this case is go on-line and add the DPP ( $6 a month ) and then chat with Customer Service about getting a free replacement. Once you add the Protection Plan it has to remain on your account for 5 or 6 months before it can be removed. Without the Protection Plan it will probably cost you the shipping to/from Dish plus a service fee of $25 or $30. Not sure since the prices for these change.

My 722 died after about 4 years. I added the $6 a month and then went on-line and got a replacement. Since mine was an older 722 and not the 722k they sent me a refurbished replacement unit and provided a return shipping label to return the old unit. I tried to request a 722k, which don't have the overheating problems of the 722, but Dish wouldn't do it without wanting $200 to upgrade and a re-up of the 2-year contract.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #639 of 650 Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

Are you using them all at the same time via a USB hub or one at a time?

Has anyone actually tried a 2TB drive and had it work? I am using a 1TB no problem so for sure 750gb is not the limit.

Are you looking for a mentor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #640 of 650 Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post

Maybe you should contact your broadband provider as well. If it's the phone company they should have had isolators in place to protect your phone as well as other equipment. Just as a backup plan you might contact them to see what they say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #641 of 650 Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Are you using them all at the same time via a USB hub or one at a time?

Has anyone actually tried a 2TB drive and had it work? I am using a 1TB no problem so for sure 750gb is not the limit.

The 2TB works just fine with the 622/722 DVRs, and is supported by Dish. The 211 can only use the 1TB...

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/setup-ehd

Bobby 

post #642 of 650 Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM

HI All

Sorry for reviving this thread but I do have a question regarding the ViP722's schedule conflict handling.

Scenario:

I want to record Top Gear on BBC America at 9 pm.
I want to record Continuum on SyFy at 9 pm.
Both air on Mondays.

The DISH DVR does not give me a popup to alert me of the schedule conflict and I know I can record 2 channels and not watch a 3rd or I must be watching a recorded show from my DVR.
Or I can watch 1 channel and record a second.

This is all on a single TV setup running in single TV mode.

My question is:

If I do actually watch another channel, it will automatically record the program with the higher priority. Will teh DVR automatically search to find the episode it is skipping, in another time slot and record it or will it just completely discard it?

The only reason I am wondering this is because of the fact that it did not give me a pop to warn about the schedule conflict when I set all this up to record. When I got home, both Top Gear and Continuum recorded so I am just left wondering 'what if I were home' scenario.

Thanks in advance.
post #643 of 650 Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You have 2 sat tuners and one ATSC tuner in your 722. You can record from 1, 2 of all 3 of these tuners simultaneously and still watch at home. If all tuners are in use recording 3 things at once, then you can either watch one of those programs being recorded live, or by starting one of them from the beginning (chase play), or by watching a previously recorded program. If you were home in your example above and wanted to watch a different satellite channel than the two being recorded, you will be warned that changing the channel will terminate one of your recordings.
post #644 of 650 Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Also the easiest way to see if your program is scheduled to record at a later date is to go to
the "Daily Schedule". It will show you by day what is scheduled to record. Item #7 in the main menu.

post #645 of 650 Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Hmmm... ok. I'll take a look tonight when I am back home and reply to this thread with more questions if need be.
post #646 of 650 Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos57 View Post

HI All

Sorry for reviving this thread but I do have a question regarding the ViP722's schedule conflict handling.

Scenario:

I want to record Top Gear on BBC America at 9 pm.
I want to record Continuum on SyFy at 9 pm.
Both air on Mondays.

The DISH DVR does not give me a popup to alert me of the schedule conflict and I know I can record 2 channels and not watch a 3rd or I must be watching a recorded show from my DVR.
Or I can watch 1 channel and record a second.

This is all on a single TV setup running in single TV mode.

My question is:

If I do actually watch another channel, it will automatically record the program with the higher priority. Will teh DVR automatically search to find the episode it is skipping, in another time slot and record it or will it just completely discard it?

The only reason I am wondering this is because of the fact that it did not give me a pop to warn about the schedule conflict when I set all this up to record. When I got home, both Top Gear and Continuum recorded so I am just left wondering 'what if I were home' scenario.

Thanks in advance.

The way the dual DVR is setup for recordings is if you have 2 timers setup for the same time they will record on both TV1 & 2. If you decide to watch a different program than is being recorded, it will stop the recording for the TV you are watching. If you have the timer(s) setup for Record Once, it will only record that time. If you have it setup for New Episodes, it will record all new episodes. If you have stopped or canceled the recording, you will need to manually setup a recording for that show that was skipped.
Thanks
post #647 of 650 Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 PM

I have filled up the USB hard drive connected to my ViP722 and need to replace it with a new, larger drive. Questions:
1. Is there any way to copy the saved programs from the old drive to a new, larger drive?
2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is "no", will Dish allow me to switch back and forth between the old drive and new drive, when I want to watch something saved on the old drive?
3. Did anyone ever determine if a USB hub would work with multiple external drives?
post #648 of 650 Old 11-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

skerdoba:

1) Yes there is and I've done it. What I did was let the receiver format the new drive, boot up Linux, attach both drives at once, and dragged/dropped the individual program folders from one DishArc folder to the other. It is most convenient to boot up a version of Linux that allows you to log in as root, to avoid having to "chown" all the files to get it to work right. (The files must be owned by root.)

2) Of course! There is no issue there. Many customers have multiple EHDs; I've heard of some that use TEN. wink.gif

3) A USB hub will work, but only if one drive is powered at a time. The 722 will not acknowledge more than one drive attached at a time. (More than one are possible on the 922 and Hopper, but that's not our case here.)
skerdoba likes this.
post #649 of 650 Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks TheKrell and PM from adidadi. I will get to work on this project this weekend. I was already planning to wipe Windows 8 from a new laptop and install the latest Ubuntu. I haven't researched it yet but I assume it is possible to log in to Ubuntu as root.
post #650 of 650 Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerdoba View Post

I haven't researched it yet but I assume it is possible to log in to Ubuntu as root.

IIRC, there is no root username in Ubuntu, so you would have to add it or preface your commands with "su". I'm a Redhat kind of guy, and I had difficulty dragging and dropping with the RHEL6 GUI, which changed ownership to something other than root. So I just used a RHEL5 live DVD from http://ScientiricLinux.org and no longer had to fix ownership later.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page