Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 650 Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any change that benefits your either comes with a fee or a contract extension, just like a cell phone company. Dish can be worse than DirecTV on this stuff, but at least they are up front about it. DirecTV tried to charge me to cancel my contract even though the language of the contract clearly stated that I did not have to do so as long as I returned my equipment. A little call to the State Attorney General's office fixed that, but it should not have been necessary.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 650 Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Any change that benefits your either comes with a fee or a contract extension, just like a cell phone company. Dish can be worse than DirecTV on this stuff, but at least they are up front about it. DirecTV tried to charge me to cancel my contract even though the language of the contract clearly stated that I did not have to do so as long as I returned my equipment. A little call to the State Attorney General's office fixed that, but it should not have been necessary.

Ted

I'm not sure signing up for another non-promotional service at normal rates would be considered a benefit to you. More like a benefit to them. Unless he actually is signing up for a promo?... If I switch from top 200 to top 100 plus or even the all HD package, the contract will not be extended. This is what I was told by the rep when I signed up anyway.
post #63 of 650 Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The 211 is not a DVR but it is a HD satellite receiver. On the last Tech Forum they stated that they would soon down load software into the 211 that would enable you to plug in an external hard drive to the usb port and convert it into a DVR. They stated there would be a $49 fee to enable this. They also stated that this download would be done in July or August. I took that to mean August.

I have a 622 in my family room that is also connected to a TV in my guest room. I also have a 211 in the master beedroom. My wife is constantly seeing something on the bedroom TV and saying, "back that up". Then saying, "darn we can not do that here".

Rick R
post #64 of 650 Old 07-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post

I'm not sure signing up for another non-promotional service at normal rates would be considered a benefit to you. More like a benefit to them. Unless he actually is signing up for a promo?... If I switch from top 200 to top 100 plus or even the all HD package, the contract will not be extended. This is what I was told by the rep when I signed up anyway.

Exactly. Save for the iPhone I think, not even cell phone companies throw you into a contract if you're adding equipment or services at ordinary rates. There's no promotional period, discount or anything I'm getting, so to restart my contract for 18 months solely for adding a 2nd receiver (at regular prices) is just plain ridiculous.
post #65 of 650 Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anima1 View Post

Exactly. Save for the iPhone I think, not even cell phone companies throw you into a contract if you're adding equipment or services at ordinary rates. There's no promotional period, discount or anything I'm getting, so to restart my contract for 18 months solely for adding a 2nd receiver (at regular prices) is just plain ridiculous.

Not True! Both AT&T and Verizon will extend your contract if you add a phone to a family plan, much to my sister-in-law's chagrin. She found out the hard way. This is the same type of scenario. If you are getting service-subsidized hardware, expect to extend your contract to cover that cost. Otherwise they are throwing money down the drain. I suppose you could pay full price for the receiver to avoid the contract extension. A 612 would cost you $269 retail.

Dish will also charge you a $5 fee if you reduce your plan to a lower-priced one. Not as bad as a contract extension, but they get you coming and going.

Ted
post #66 of 650 Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Not True! Both AT&T and Verizon will extend your contract if you add a phone to a family plan, much to my sister-in-law's chagrin. She found out the hard way. This is the same type of scenario. If you are getting service-subsidized hardware, expect to extend your contract to cover that cost. Otherwise they are throwing money down the drain. I suppose you could pay full price for the receiver to avoid the contract extension. A 612 would cost you $269 retail.

Dish will also charge you a $5 fee if you reduce your plan to a lower-priced one. Not as bad as a contract extension, but they get you coming and going.

Ted

Well I'll presume that was a free and/or discounted phone added to her account, in which case I can understand. Here, per the rep's words, there was no promotion or discount I'd be getting, so a contract extension is a perplexing and sad route to throw a customer into. It just makes me reluctant to even get the box through Dish now.

Anywho. The 722 works fine. I just wish I'd looked into this issue before, which is now turning into an unpleasant one.

Thanks for all your comments.
post #67 of 650 Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anima1 View Post

i have my 722 setup with my HDTV in my living room, and i am planning on buying a new HDTV for my bedroom...

point blank - is there ANY (e.g. ordering another 722, getting a converter, etc.) way whatsoever I can get an HD satellite TV signal on this upcoming secondary bedroom TV?

I want to make sure I don't waste money buying an amazing 2nd TV that just won't partake in my HD satellite service.

thanks in advance for the help.

You can do it by having one tv use the Component out and the other using HDMI. The content will have to be the same on both room's tvs with that method though.
post #68 of 650 Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hey fellas quick question. i have direct tv and have hd receiver i lease from them (cant remember model #)

that receiver is connected to the only phone line in the house. i want to get another hd receiver, can they hook it up to that same phone line or would i have to get a whole new home number to do this?

also, where can i buy the vip 722? i think i like this one better than the hd dvr direct tv offers.
post #69 of 650 Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

hey fellas quick question. i have direct tv and have hd receiver i lease from them (cant remember model #)

that receiver is connected to the only phone line in the house. i want to get another hd receiver, can they hook it up to that same phone line or would i have to get a whole new home number to do this?

also, where can i buy the vip 722? i think i like this one better than the hd dvr direct tv offers.

You do not need a new phone line for the second box. They can and will share the same line although you will need another jack or a splitter to hook it up.

The Vip 722 is a dish network box and will not work with direct tv. If you want to switch, give dish network a call or check their website.
post #70 of 650 Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM

I just signed up for Turbo-HD service online and then I called Dish to find out what DVR I was going to get. They told me that I was going to get the VIP612. I told them that I wanted the 622 and they said that the only option was the 722 and that it would cost $50 to upgrade.

Did I/they screw something up? does this sound right?
post #71 of 650 Old 08-14-2008, 03:06 PM

I also signed up for TurboHD, and was told I'd be getting the VIP722 and there was a $50 upgrade fee, however my fist bill will have a $50 credit on it. They did charge my credit card $50.
One other note, when I ordered I said I did not want the Local Channels option. I planned to use my OTA antenna to get my locals in HD. The sales rep told me that I couldn't record (DVR) incoming signals from at OTA antenna. That seems ridiculous! Can the 722 only record the MPEG4 stream from satellite and not record the MPEG2 OTA stream.

Install is on Saturday, I plan to ask the tech about this also.
post #72 of 650 Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsphotog View Post

I also signed up for TurboHD, and was told I'd be getting the VIP722 and there was a $50 upgrade fee, however my fist bill will have a $50 credit on it. They did charge my credit card $50.
One other note, when I ordered I said I did not want the Local Channels option. I planned to use my OTA antenna to get my locals in HD. The sales rep told me that I couldn't record (DVR) incoming signals from at OTA antenna. That seems ridiculous! Can the 722 only record the MPEG4 stream from satellite and not record the MPEG2 OTA stream.

Install is on Saturday, I plan to ask the tech about this also.

You can record OTA without local channels, but you will have no guide data for the OTA channels without subscribing to the locals. This means that name-based recording of OTA channels will not work. Only manual timers will work.

Ted
post #73 of 650 Old 08-15-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:

You can record OTA without local channels, but you will have no guide data for the OTA channels without subscribing to the locals. This means that name-based recording of OTA channels will not work. Only manual timers will work.

Ted

Ditto on that. I found it was worth the the extra $5 to get the guide info.
post #74 of 650 Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

Ditto on that. I found it was worth the the extra $5 to get the guide info.

I signed up with DISH a couple months ago and noticed the same thing. I originally had the local channels for the extra $5, but was told by a DISH tech I didn't need it if I got locals OTA. I cancelled local service and immediately lost the guide data for my locas, it said something like "DIGITAL" in the guide. I reactivated the local programming and the guide data came back.

On a side note.....

Being new to the DVR world, I'm highly disappointed by the 722's software/interface. I've always used a PC for DVR functionality and while I have many reservations about Windows Vista, its Media Center interface and functionality are unrivaled IMO. It's smooth, intuitive and easy to use. With DISH, I'm amazed that a company whose sole purpose is to provide video to it's customers can have a software interface that is so incredibly clunky and cumbersome, not to mention not working like it should sometimes.

Overall, the 722 seems to do its job satisfactorily, but the software/interface is an abomination.
post #75 of 650 Old 08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle View Post

Being new to the DVR world, I'm highly disappointed by the 722's software/interface. I've always used a PC for DVR functionality and while I have many reservations about Windows Vista, its Media Center interface and functionality are unrivaled IMO. It's smooth, intuitive and easy to use. With DISH, I'm amazed that a company whose sole purpose is to provide video to it's customers can have a software interface that is so incredibly clunky and cumbersome, not to mention not working like it should sometimes.

Overall, the 722 seems to do its job satisfactorily, but the software/interface is an abomination.

You should check out TimeWarner Navigator or SARA. CNET named the 722 Editor's Choice. It is about as good as it gets in the DVR space. TiVO is a close second unless you started out on TiVO, then you probably find some things counter-intuitive. I started out with TiVO (on DirecTV), went to Passport when they refused to add all the new HD on TiVO, got Navigator forced down my throat by TWC, and escaped to Dish.

I am about as happy as I think is possible right now. Might I be happier on TiVO? Perhaps, but I would not get as many HD channels, so I can make due with the 722. If Verizon every rolls our fios in my area and offered TiVO, I might consider changing. Until then, I am a happy Dish customer.

Ted
post #76 of 650 Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You beat me to it, try anything TWC offers (SA8300 in particular), and you'll think the VIP722 is the cat's meow. I've never tried anything PC related, so l'll assume it's better than the 722 (you can obviously organize and file things better). But once you learn to lock out all the stuff you never want to look at again, the 722 does a great job. I just wish the DVR had a few more options (creating and naming your own folders to do your own sorting), and an editing feature would be nice.
post #77 of 650 Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
We just upgraded our receivers to HD receivers and one of them is the vip722 dvr but I am noticing that the video that is displayed when you are browsing other channels looks realy clear and sharp but when I leave the browse menu to continue watching the show it looks low res. Now, this is happening on all HD channels that I watch. Anyone notice this? Currently the vip722 is connected to an avr and then to our plasma tv but I have tested it by connecting the vip722 directly to the tv and I didn't see any difference. What's the deal? Why am I not seeing the high def the way it looks in the little video screen when browsing channels?

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #78 of 650 Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

We just upgraded our receivers to HD receivers and one of them is the vip722 dvr but I am noticing that the video that is displayed when you are browsing other channels looks realy clear and sharp but when I leave the browse menu to continue watching the show it looks low res. Now, this is happening on all HD channels that I watch. Anyone notice this? Currently the vip722 is connected to an avr and then to our plasma tv but I have tested it by connecting the vip722 directly to the tv and I didn't see any difference. What's the deal? Why am I not seeing the high def the way it looks in the little video screen when browsing channels?

This may seem obvious, but is your 722 set to output to your HDTV's native resolution (720p or 1080i)? If you are using component or HDMI the 722 defaults to 480p.

Ted
post #79 of 650 Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:

This may seem obvious, but is your 722 set to output to your HDTV's native resolution (720p or 1080i)? If you are using component or HDMI the 722 defaults to 480p.

Ted

Does anyone know if Dish ever implemented a firmware update to enable native resolution output? I'm dying for this one as one of my HDTVs has a Realta scaler in it and it would be nice to use that instead of whatever they have built into the DVR. Of course, I could switch every time I go between SD/HD stations, but I'm way too lazy for that. I heard awhile back they were planning on implementing this feature.
post #80 of 650 Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I doubt if this will happen, lots of requests for it though.

jitu, yes make sure you have the 722 set at 1080i. A smaller image will look sharper, but your full screen image should look very sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post

Does anyone know if Dish ever implemented a firmware update to enable native resolution output? I'm dying for this one as one of my HDTVs has a Realta scaler in it and it would be nice to use that instead of whatever they have built into the DVR. Of course, I could switch every time I go between SD/HD stations, but I'm way too lazy for that. I heard awhile back they were planning on implementing this feature.

post #81 of 650 Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
tcat, I set the vip722 to 1080i with 16x9 aspect ratio and our 58" plasma supports up to 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post

I doubt if this will happen, lots of requests for it though.

jitu, yes make sure you have the 722 set at 1080i. A smaller image will look sharper, but your full screen image should look very sharp.

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #82 of 650 Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Stand back farther... should be very sharp beyond 10' or so. Check the HDMI cable (maybe try component to see if it's better, if it is there's something wrong with your HDMI cable)

Quote:

tcat, I set the vip722 to 1080i with 16x9 aspect ratio and our 58" plasma supports up to 1080p.

post #83 of 650 Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did that setting make it look any better? Check out channel 211 (DNC08) tonight. Word is that Dish is carrying this at full-res and full bitrate. Let us know what it looks like.

Ted
post #84 of 650 Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Just purchased the vip722 a few days ago. Finally got it hooked up two nights ago. Wife's complaining of a humming noise. I noticed it too, but didn't bother w/ it but now I'm wrondering....but from reading several articles, I've realized its the fan or the hdd. It's a toss up.

Just worried a little since it's my own receiver and if it messes up, then I'm screwed.

Well, just gotta cross the finger and hope for the best.

As for the DNC08, I got it set to DVR tonight. I have yet to hook up my HDMI cable but even w/ the composite cable, it's crystal clear. Same as my 622. Have you guys noticed that as well?

Hmmmmm What to write?
post #85 of 650 Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
does the vip722 support Blutooth remotes?
post #86 of 650 Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohaimenK View Post

Just purchased the vip722 a few days ago. Finally got it hooked up two nights ago. Wife's complaining of a humming noise. I noticed it too, but didn't bother w/ it but now I'm wrondering....but from reading several articles, I've realized its the fan or the hdd. It's a toss up.

Just worried a little since it's my own receiver and if it messes up, then I'm screwed.

Well, just gotta cross the finger and hope for the best.

As for the DNC08, I got it set to DVR tonight. I have yet to hook up my HDMI cable but even w/ the composite cable, it's crystal clear. Same as my 622. Have you guys noticed that as well?

All DVRs make some noise, either from the fan or HDD. Some are just louder than others.

If you purchased your 722 new, it should come with a warranty should you run into a problem.

Ted
post #87 of 650 Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

does the vip722 support Blutooth remotes?

No, just UHF and IR currently.

Ted
post #88 of 650 Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Curious...Is there any monetary advantage to buying these 722s from say ebay or elsewhere as opposed to getting it through Dish?

Is there still some monthly fees they try to stick to you for the 'right' to use the DVR even if you purchased it 3rd party?

Thanks

Physical media is on the way out
post #89 of 650 Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post

Curious...Is there any monetary advantage to buying these 722s from say ebay or elsewhere as opposed to getting it through Dish?

Is there still some monthly fees they try to stick to you for the 'right' to use the DVR even if you purchased it 3rd party?

Thanks

There are monthly fees either way for the DVR. You just pay less if you own it. Whether is makes sense depends on how long you own it. I lease personally.

Ted
post #90 of 650 Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Gratzie...Good to know.

Personally, I am giving a 6 month window to wait before jumping the Comcast ship to hit either Dish or Direct...I was about to finally pull the trigger on Dish but with GolTV gone the way of the dingo, I am waiting until the current Comcast promotion ends.

Plus, hopefully this merger talk will either go away or lead to something bigger & better

Physical media is on the way out
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page